• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Electric Soldier Porygon! (038)

04n70n10

Seems like damage control if they're acting like some of the seizures didn't happen, which is victim shaming.
No, I linked above an exhaustive article for those interested that explain the theory.
There is no doubt that at least some children did in fact experience seizures and other afflictions, the point is indeed the incidence of photosensitive epilepsy: is estimated at 1 in 5,000 and such an incidence (0.02 percent of the population) comes nowhere near explaining the sheer number of children affected.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I didn't realize until much later that the Porygon that Jessie had stolen and was using was actually a prototype called 'Porygon Zero', which I guess implies that Dr Akihabara invented Porygon in the show?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Always remember: Since Porygon can only exist in cyberspace, that means every Porygon you've ever had was a real Pokémon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't realize until much later that the Porygon that Jessie had stolen and was using was actually a prototype called 'Porygon Zero', which I guess implies that Dr Akihabara invented Porygon in the show?

At the very least, Akihabara-hakase was the one who created the two Porygon that entered cyberspace in this episode. Sadly for him, his house blew up, so his days of experimenting with cyberspace were over by the episode's finale.

Alloutℯ

Banned
That Akihabara dude was funny so it's a shame that he was never seen in the dub. I feel like Porygon was handled well and I wish it had gotten less blame for the seizures.

Leonhart

Imagineer
After reading Dogasu's recent entry about the seizures caused by this episode, I can't help but feel that Pikachu escaped getting blamed for it, while poor Porygon was used as a scapegoat.

gentwoer

After reading Dogasu's recent entry about the seizures caused by this episode, I can't help but feel that Pikachu escaped getting blamed for it, while poor Porygon was used as a scapegoat.

You can't help but feel like it because that's exactly what happened. But Pikachu was the face of the franchise they weren't going to act like he never existed.

Isn't it weird how we never found out how Porygon was made by humans. I liked the cyberspace stuff and how Porygon was similar to Ditto since he could also change his body shape.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I didn't understand why Porygon was made exclusive to cyberspace in this episode, but now that I think of it it makes so much sense and ironically it helps to explain the lack of other Porygon in the show. But what I really enjoyed was seeing TRio actually succeed in stealing the scientist's other Porygon even if it was only while they were in cyberspace.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BTS_fan said:
I didn't understand why Porygon was made exclusive to cyberspace in this episode, but now that I think of it it makes so much sense and ironically it helps to explain the lack of other Porygon in the show.

I suppose that Porygon being a digital Pokemon is supposed to make us believe that it can't survive in the real world, although that doesn't explain why we saw a wild Porygon in one of the movie introduction scenes in a normal city setting.

Saw the episode pictures and I still don't get why the episode gave kids seizures. It was supposedly because of the flashing red and blue lights when the missile exploded near the end of the episode but the anime had scenes showing flashing colors before and it didn't affect anyone. I thought that Porygon was overpowered in this episode because it could do whatever it wanted by transforming itself into weapons and all kinds of different shapes. 7/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
Firefo×Fennekin said:
Saw the episode pictures and I still don't get why the episode gave kids seizures. It was supposedly because of the flashing red and blue lights when the missile exploded near the end of the episode but the anime had scenes showing flashing colors before and it didn't affect anyone.

My guess is that the flashing colors during the seizure scene here were just slightly quicker than other flashing color scenes from previous episodes. The animators went back and changed the speed of similar scenes after this episode and made them slower just as a precaution.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Unbelievable! I had saw the Dratini episode for the first time over an hr ago and wrote about it in the other thread, stating that I had wish i could see the famed Porygon Episode and low and behold, I end up seeing this episode for the first time tonight too! It was a cool episode, and i actually turned my head during the flashing red/blue lights just in case!

So I finally saw the lost episodes from Gen 1. And i just realized that its been 20 years this year since I first started watching Pokemon! This was a perfect way to celebrate this milestone!!!!

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Unbelievable! I had saw the Dratini episode for the first time over an hr ago and wrote about it in the other thread, stating that I had wish i could see the famed Porygon Episode and low and behold, I end up seeing this episode for the first time tonight too! It was a cool episode, and i actually turned my head during the flashing red/blue lights just in case!

So I finally saw the lost episodes from Gen 1. And i just realized that its been 20 years this year since I first started watching Pokemon! This was a perfect way to celebrate this milestone!!!!
Yeah not bad episode of os era!

SerenaRulez

This is my unpopular opinion but even after seeing this episode I couldn't help but thinking that it didn't live up to its reputation.

Other than the fact that it gave kids seizures the episode was just an ordinary rendition of the same stuff that we saw in Kanto which was wacky plots. I thought Porygon was really harmless and kinda cute.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:
Other than the fact that it gave kids seizures the episode was just an ordinary rendition of the same stuff that we saw in Kanto which was wacky plots. I thought Porygon was really harmless and kinda cute.

The episode's infamy probably made it seem more interesting than it really was to people who had never watched the episode before. I thought it was pretty standard for a Kanto episode, although it did showcase cyberspace which was a new concept for the series at the time.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
It's funny because if the Porygon seizure scene hadn't happened and this episode had aired worldwide I'd bet anything that most people would've considered it to be the worst Kanto filler episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
It's funny because if the Porygon seizure scene hadn't happened and this episode had aired worldwide I'd bet anything that most people would've considered it to be the worst Kanto filler episode.

Maybe not the worst filler, and I personally don't know if I'd even consider this episode a filler given that this episode explored a new concept and the Rocket-dan got a temporary new Pokemon on their teams.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
A year late to this but it's got...uh...competition for that title...Kangaskhan Kid, the Marowak episode, the Ash vs. Ritchie battle...

This episode was really unique with the concept of cyberspace. Too bad it never aired again due to the seizures incident, poor Porygon. Porygon is cute and I hope it and its evolutions appear in the anime again.