• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Electric Soldier Porygon! (038)

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
I now the have the entire episode in Japanese now, though the realplayer quality's crap, so no danger I guess of having a fit. It's not subtitled though....

Shigeru-kun

Property of Jesus
Bad quality or not, it doesn't matter. The computer slows down the speed of the lights, so you won't get a seizure anyway. Myself however, has the Japanese version on tape--and a good quality one at that. For the most part I was uneffected, but I will admit one thing, sitting close to it or watching it without many lights on does start to make you feel funny. I guess it was taking some effect on me, but oh well. I've been to so many dances where lights are flashing constantly and stuff, I'm kind of use to it by now.

Last edited:
G

Gold Ursaring

I think much of the problem is legit and the rest is people's minds. I believe a study also showed that this kind of stuff happens.

Pokemon Master

Coral Eye Trainer
I really wish I could see this episode. Porygon is one of my favorite pokemon. All though I'll probably never see it. From what I understand, the episode was dubbed, but it was locked away. It's really too bad.

Shigeru-kun

Property of Jesus
Pokemon Master said:
I really wish I could see this episode. Porygon is one of my favorite pokemon. All though I'll probably never see it. From what I understand, the episode was dubbed, but it was locked away. It's really too bad.

I think you misunderstood something. The episode that was dubbed and locked away was "The Legend of Miniryuu". Rachel Lillis even confirmed this in a few of her past interviews. But for the Porygon epy? No. As far as I know, Japan never even gave that episode to the U.S. for dubbing.

P

Pikachu's Thunder

No s*** they would ban it .......... It messed up 500 kids so why would'nt they ban it's a very good reason they banned this one!

Shigeru-kun

Property of Jesus
I believe close to 700 was the actual amount, but whatever. For once, I honestly believe Japan shouldn't have banned it. Why? Well simple. They could have just went back and edited it with new animation. I mean---they tossed away a chunk load of cash just for some horrible CGI effects in the first movie. Why couldn't they do this to an episode? ~.~;

Pokemon Master

Coral Eye Trainer
Dejiko said:
I think you misunderstood something. The episode that was dubbed and locked away was "The Legend of Miniryuu". Rachel Lillis even confirmed this in a few of her past interviews. But for the Porygon epy? No. As far as I know, Japan never even gave that episode to the U.S. for dubbing.
No, I didn't misunderstand anything. I read it in an interview or trivia somewhere, but I don't remember where. It was like a year ago or so.

*edit*
I found it. Here it is:

This episode was not shown because it gave over 700 Japanese kids seizures from the bright flashing of the colors red and blue. This episode has already been dubbed and they slowed down the frame rate, but 4KIDs does not want to take any chances, so it was not aired, and won't ever be.

Last edited:

Shigeru-kun

Property of Jesus
Pokemon Master said:
No, I didn't misunderstand anything. I read it in an interview or trivia somewhere, but I don't remember where. It was like a year ago or so.

*edit*
I found it. Here it is:

I hardly believe that. Didn't you hear Raven earlier? Japan won't let them air it even if they wanted to! Plus, Pokemon came out in the U.S. a year later than Japan. By the time they reached the Porygon episode, I bet the U.S. was either just getting the episode or getting it later. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know I'm right about this--4kids can't "take any chances". It's banned by the creators. If they took any chances, they'd be in big trouble for going against the rules you could say.

Chris

Old Coot
The whole world knew about the Porygon episode the night it aired in Japan. I recall reading info about it online and seeing people start petitions to keep the show out of the US.

Dejiko, assuming your copy is on VHS, the worst that can happen to you is a minor headache or eye strain. VHS quality tends to deteriorate after use and usually isn't recorded in DVD-quality standards.

The main reason they never went back to edit it was because the episode's banned in Japan. They don't edit anything in the US, so they can't just send a banned episode that cause people to go to the hospital to a dubbing company and expect them to make the changes. Otherwise, they'd be held responsible for supplying it if anything goes wrong.

Neither 4Kids or the creators of the anime can take chances. We've been proven this when 4Kids started removing evidence of Jynx and went ahead and banned The Cave of Ice all together rather than taking a chance in trying to edit Jynx out.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Wouldn't the censors have noticed that the flashing was hazardous? I think everyone from the visual effects artist to the broadcast company are to blame for this fiasco.

Chris

Old Coot
Thing is, Japan's not as censor heavy as the US is so there's quite alot that can be gotten away with. Apparently they never viewed episodes before they aired, so that was a major problem. Alot of people are to blame for it.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Still, you'd think the people making the episode would have noticed it was a bit hard on the eyes. They would have had to preview it even if the censors never did.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Banning might have been a little harsh. THey could have gone through and remade the computer shots and got rid of the flashing. I don't know why they put those in in the first place. But as it is today, it's a health hazard.

Chris

Old Coot
Do you actually think people would be okay with them reairing the episode that caused a bunch of people to collapse into a seizure fit only with edits? I'm pretty sure they don't wanna be reminded of it in anyway. There was no point in an edit seeing as how the show ended up being put on hiatus, they were working on newer episodes to air later in the year, and had to redo all the previous episodes for VHS release and for 4Kids to use for the dub. They had no time to redo the WHOLE episode considering that whole episode was the problem.

PDL

disenchanted
this sort of thing could have happened to any anime... it's rather unfortunate that it was this one that had it...

still, it would be a bit too late to air the episode, the damage it caused was already done, they won't have this sort of episode in a long long long time

Thriller

Its almost time
Did the Japanese ban Porygon? It hasnt appeared at all except for one cameo in movie 5. Porygon 2 hasnt even been shown. Was it banned like Jynx and Elekid?

Heracross

Custom User Title
No, they could probably still show Porygon whenever they want they just don't want to remind people of the seizure incident so they never featured it again. And Elekid wasn't banned, why would it be?

Last edited:

Shigeru-kun

Property of Jesus
Elekid in the anime wasn't banned, but the Elekid figure was banned because young children might try and stick it's head into electrical outlets.