• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Elitism

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
What do you think of people who are so called elitists? By this I mean somebody who frowns upon other people who don't live up to certain standards that they themselves usually set. Some of us may think of elitists as some kind of classy intellectual who wears a monocle and attends fancy gatherings while looking down upon the commoners. But an elitist could be anyone who sees their particular culture or worldview as inherently better than someone eles's and anybody who disagrees with them is wrong.

Also, are you an elitist? Is your particular ideology or worldview better than everybody else's? If somebody is too religious, do you frown upon them for clinging to superstition? If a man is more feminine than his fellow men, then do you ostracize him and call him a sissy for not possessing the body of an athenian god? I admit that I have some elitist tendencies myself. I distrust and tend to look down upon people who don't share the same political ideology as I do. I don't like that i'm this way sometimes. I would rather see each person as an individual instead of ascribing some group identity to them. But when you become so passionate about something, its easy to get caught up in yourself.

So what about you guys? Do you struggle with the same tendencies of looking down upon others?

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Elitism is usually a negative way to frame that sort of person, though, and it usually comes about when they become assholes about whatever it is they're elitist about. Personally, unless your standards are ridiculously, unattainably high, I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting a certain amount of people and then being disappointed about not getting it. Especially when it's something really basic, because it can and does happen.

But there's a fair middle ground between asking for a basic amount of something from others, and asking for too much of it.

Aegon

I suppose I am elitist, for I despise the myopic idiocies of this world, especially when there is a plenitude of untapped potential.

EeveeSkitty

Pokemon.
I think that everyone is an elitist, even if at different levels. It's all perception what is being 'unreasonably' judgmental. I try not to be openly elitist, and don't approve of people being rude or looking down on others because of who they are. I highly dislike exclusion and the idea of groups and outsiders. But that's just how our brains are wired. I just think people should keep it to themselves and not try to exclude or insult anyone else because of their belief that they are better, or whatever.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
I suppose I am elitist, for I despise the myopic idiocies of this world, especially when there is a plenitude of untapped potential.

That's basically what I meant, since I feel similarly. There's a difference between pushing hard for something difficult or impossible, and encouraging people to not be lazy in any given way, after all. I like to think I'm not elitist so much as I get frustrated when people do not put out the same amount of effort I do into things, which includes schoolwork, creative pursuits, etc. Especially with hobbies, I will never understand why you wouldn't want to do something you love to the best of your ability.

I mean, sometimes people have to tackle menial and useless tasks, and anyone would want to be lazy about those, but... not all the time, you know? I don't think it's asking for too much to encourage others to actually exercise their bodies and brains once in a while.

SugarFreeJazz

not present
I think that everyone is an elitist, even if at different levels. It's all perception what is being 'unreasonably' judgmental. I try not to be openly elitist, and don't approve of people being rude or looking down on others because of who they are. I highly dislike exclusion and the idea of groups and outsiders. But that's just how our brains are wired. I just think people should keep it to themselves and not try to exclude or insult anyone else because of their belief that they are better, or whatever.

I wouldn't say everyone is an elitist, but everyone certainly has elitist qualities about them. It's human nature. To be an elitist, one would have to advocate or exhibit the qualities rather than just have them. The same goes for everything else really. You might instinctively react to a group of people from a certain ethnic background or religious background, but that doesn't mean you feel one way or another towards them. It's often just a knee-jerk reaction.

And yes, I do the same thing. I'm trying to train myself out of it by simply not reacting to it, but it's not as easy as it sounds.

I pretty much feel the same way as everyone else who has posted in this thread so far.