• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Emerald battle frontier help please?

Kacho

You are next.
i read that I should raise a separate team for Battle Palace... but i am not sure?

also, i never done EV/ IV training before, do i need to do it for BF?

I design my team around the moveset thread for gen III, but some tweaking

Starmie
Shell Bell
Natural Cure
Modest/ Timid

Thunder bolt
Ice Beam
Surf
Psychic

standard sp sweep starmie

Camerupt
Leftover
Brave
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
Body Slam

i can't do explosion, not gonna spend loads of cash on revives.
I am leaning on flamethrower, since it is just a TM
and I cannot breed fire blast to this poke.. um... @_@

Salamence
Leftover
Modest
Dragon Claw
Crunch
Double Edge
Flamethrower (again)

that's all, please comment! thanks!

Emeraldfan

Go with Modest on Starmie. It's fast, but just doesn't hit near as good without the extra power provided by a Modest nature.

I got to say I dislike Camerupt, frigging slow and big weaknesses, but if you want to use him it's your choice ...

On Salamence, Dragon Dance > Crunch and Earthquake > Double Edge. This gives you more speed and the ability to hit special walls. Dragon + Fire already provides nice coverage, only resisted by Heatran in Gen IV. (iirc). Change the nature to Mild.

Kacho

You are next.
I can't think of anything besides Camerupt, LOL..
I would like to cover electric, flying, etc. that it's moveset allow, HAHA

Salamence...
this is gen III, so i will ignore your comment on heatran
but i do want a third pokemon to cover dragon type (besides starmie's ice beam)
as well as psychic type (hence the crunch)

any other users have other opinions?

I also got SOME LG poke traded over... but prob not good enough

Kalosian

So long
I think you should go with a Physical set on Salamence, you do only need one Special sweeper and Starmie is just fine for that job. Salamence should have Dragon Dance / Rock Slide / Earthquake / Aerial Ace, or if you want a Choice Band set, go with Brick Break or Double-Edge over Dragon Dance. Nature should be Adamant, with maxed Attack and Speed for the Choice Bander, you do not need max Speed with Dragon Dance, 140 Speed is enough but you can max it if you want to.

If you can, get a Snorlax or Blissey from LG, they are good defensive options, which is what your third slot should be.

Last edited:

Robster

Cascade Trainer
Camerupt
Leftover
Brave
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
Body Slam

i can't do explosion, not gonna spend loads of cash on revives.
I am leaning on flamethrower, since it is just a TM
and I cannot breed fire blast to this poke.. um... @_@

The point about revives is irrelevant - you can't use items in the Battle Frontier (well, other than the Pyramid). Also, I notice you've got leftovers on both Salamence and Camerupt, so you'll need to do something about that, as none of the facilities will allow it. Not that I'd advise using Camerupt anyway. Perhaps a Metagross as a good physical sweeper, depending on what you decide to do with Salamence.

Emeraldfan

TBH, I think that Starmie handels Psychic quite well. It restists Psychic moves and can hit back with Surf or so :) Salamence and Starmie cover Dragon, so that makes 2 pokemon to hit those dragons with. Metagross is actually a great pokemon; It's ground and fire weakness are covered by Starmie and Salamence, And Meta provides Dragon coverage and Psychic coverage.

Metagross @ Lefties / Lum berry
168 HP / 252 Attack / 88 Speed
Adamant
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

So, yeah. QuakEdge and STAB. Agility boosts your speed to 396, so you outspeed + nature max EV 130's. 88 Speed EV's is needed for that, as are flawless speed IV... Adamant is Att boost, so you get a whopping 405 Att with flawless IV...

Kacho

You are next.
wait, I cannot use leftover in BF? dang....
I think I only have one shell bell...
and I don't think I can grow enough berries for all BF components.. @_@

I am not sure if I can IV train for BF. I usually just fight interviewers to speed up lvling.
and plus, I will lose track of IV training. (actually, I never did IV training, looks too hard)

So the choice is either have phy salamence, or drop Camerupt and get Metagross.. hm...
this is gonna give me a headache. will come back and reply with questions whenever i decide.

for one, I can go ahead and train my Starmie...

I got extra leftover because i traded one from my LG game :D
maybe i can do king's rock on one of them poke.

Emeraldfan

It's called EV training... IV is something different. And you can use leftovers, just not multiple on one team.

Kacho

You are next.
ok... Starmie's only problem is nature Timid or Modest? the question is more speed or more power in special attack to sweep in battle frontier (everything but factory, and palace. making separate team for palace.)

Starmie
Timid/ Modest
leftover/ shell bell
Surf
Ice Beam
T bolt
Psychic

I am now thinking of dumping the other two for another two...

Metagross
Adamant
Choice band/ leftover
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Sludge Bomb
Explosion/ Agility

can;t do lum berry. I am not going to plant enough to run through BF multiple times...
physical sweeping metagross. although i am sure something is better for full power...
I have larvitar traded over, and a dratini.. LOL

I'll think about the third one another time...

Kalosian

So long
ok... Starmie's only problem is nature Timid or Modest? the question is more speed or more power in special attack to sweep in battle frontier.
I recommend Modest, you will need the extra power, it is fast enough anyway, more speed will not help you, but higher Sp.atk will.

And about the berries, you do only need one Berry as the berry you give to a Pokemon will come back after the battle if it was used up during the battle.

Kacho

You are next.
I recommend Modest, you will need the extra power, it is fast enough anyway, more speed will not help you, but higher Sp.atk will.

And about the berries, you do only need one Berry as the berry you give to a Pokemon will come back after the battle if it was used up during the battle.

everywhere in battle frontier?
because i am sure in normal battle, it just gets eaten.. D:

Kalosian

So long
In a normal battle, it would get eaten and lost forever, that is true. But the battles in Frontier are not considered "normal" battles, as you will get automatically healed after each battle (or in Pyramid/Pike, after each round) and you will also get back any items that could normally only be used once. So you do only need one berry, though I guess it would not hurt to get some more anyway.

Kacho

You are next.
so I finally thought of a third pokemon... sceptile

Sceptile
Hasty
IDK what item! Starmie has Shell Bell, Metagross Leftover?! maybe metagross gets item switch?
Leaf Blade
Thunderpunch/ Focus Punch
Crunch
Dragon Claw

how does this looks with Starmie and Metagross above?

or Dusclops
the berry that wakes up?
Careful
Rest
Will-o-wisp/ toxic
focus punch/ seismic toss
shadow ball/ night shade

i am unsure if i am to toxic people in BF or burn them to reduce physical attack damage
or to take a turn to focus or just sweep with 100 standard damage on the last two moves

Last edited:

Kacho

You are next.
bump.
i would really like help on the BF team and maybe start training my team

help and advises are greatly appreciated

Emeraldfan

Sceptile
Naive/Rash (Naive if you want to outspeed Starmie and other base 115, otherwise modest)
4HP/252spatk/252 speed

Leaf Blade
Dragon Claw
Thunderpunch
Brick Break

Brick Break for Wall-breaking purposes.

Pair him up w/ Starmie and this Metagross

Metagross @ Lum berrie
Adamant
168 hp / 252 Atk / 88 Speed

Meteor Mash
Agility
Earthquake
Rock Slide

Kacho

You are next.
^
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE REPLY!!!
no, I am not yelling. I AM JUST EXCITED!! I might actually beat BF this summer ROFL.

but on sceptile, i need to clarify something
naive to make sceptile faster than starmie
then what about modest and rash?

and for metagross,
is there an alternative to rock slide? the attack power looks low... but then i might need it for type coverage...

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Breeding for good IVs and training for good EVs takes a lot of time, but it pays off in the frontier. I have had a few close battles that got decided on a few HP, and if I had bad defensive IV's on my Salamanence it would not have any chance of surviving Ice Beams from Kingdra or Quagsire, which it does now. Having a total IV over 150 on Salamence has provided to be immensely powerful, and without the immense EV training and good IV's on my Metagross it would not be a reliable way of taking opposing Metagrosses down. Now I can 2KO enemy Metas with EQ while they only hit 45% damage with their EQs. I'm slower, but needing one move less to KO means you still win one on one.

Breeding also can be done relatively quickly. Get whatever you want to breed at the day-care, get a Magcargo and a Mach Bike, and just drive around between Mauville and Vendanturf, picking up as much eggs as possible. Magcargo + 5 eggs in party hatches them quite quickly on a Mach bike. I can fill an entire box of newborn lvl 5s in a few hours, and on both Bagon and Beldum it's easy to see if they have a good attack IV even at lvl 5, provided they're adamant. On Beldum you want an attack stat of 14 (IV of 30 or 31), and on Bagon an attack stat of 15 (IV 30 or 31). Release everything with the wrong nature or not good IVs until you have about a box full of decent ones, then calculate their exact IVs and select the best one.

For Starmie, go with Modest. Even with Modest, with a good Speed IV and max speed EV investment Starmie still outruns pretty much everything in the entire battle frontier. I think that Jolteon and Crobat are the only ones that outrun my Starmie in there. The foes you face are badly EV trained or have bad IVs, and pretty much nothing in there has a speed boosting nature. Having good IVs and EVs gives you an advantage so you can still win by sheer power if luck isn't on your side.

Oh yeah Emeraldfan, you don't really need speed EVs on Agilitygross, without it still outruns the entire frontier after a single Agility. Invest it all in bulk. Max attack first, rest split between HP and Def depending on IVs to provide maximum physical bulk (set the two stats equal). I did that to my metagross and it survives two Earthquakes from opposing Metagrosses, Tyranitars, Machamps, Aerodactyls, pretty much everything that doesn't get STAB on it, while my meta can 2KO opposing Metagrosses with EQ.

Last edited:

Kacho

You are next.
^
holy miltank...
no really...

ok, to clarify, i am using starmie, metagross, and sceptile. not using bagon or salamence

and as for the metagross EV, can you actually give me actual numbers? it is hard to tell now with the number adjustment.
also, if i am to discard agility, what move to replace it?

Emeraldfan

Naive lowers SDef which I think is better than to lower his already low Def. Also, you don't want to lower your attack when having a physical move (Brick Break is fighting and thus physical)

@ Sceptile: You could do without speed EV, but at that point these pokemon outspeed you:
CROBAT (3), adamant, scope lens, 311,306,196,158,196,359, air cutter, double-edge, shadow ball, screech
CROBAT (4), adamant, brightpowder, 311,306,196,158,196,359, sludge bomb, shadow ball, confuse ray, aerial ace
JOLTEON (1), modest, cheri, 271,149,156,350,226,359, thunderbolt, thunder wave, attract, protect
JOLTEON (4), timid, king´s rock, 271,149,156,319,226,394, thunderbolt, thunder wave, bite, shadow ball

Kacho, you can decide by yourself... Do you want to outspeed, or be bulkier?

The rest of meta's moveset allow it to hit every 'mon for at least neutral damage. Rock Slide combined with Earthquake gives QuakEdge, Meteor Mash hits other mon... Rock Slide is the best Rock attack in Gen III (IMO)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
^
holy miltank...
no really...

ok, to clarify, i am using starmie, metagross, and sceptile. not using bagon or salamence

and as for the metagross EV, can you actually give me actual numbers? it is hard to tell now with the number adjustment.
also, if i am to discard agility, what move to replace it?

Metagross should always have Max attack, so 252 attack EV's, to destroy foes as fast as possible. Without agility, you might want some speed Ev's, although I don't really know what speed number you are aiming for, or you should aim for. What to replace Agility with, a tough one. I'd say Shadow ball, to hit Slowbro and Slowking with as they often carry flamethrower and have the bulk to take Earthquakes.

As for the defence and HP EV's, the optimal depends on the IV's that your Metagross has. You always want to have your hitpoints and defence stats to be equal. Assuming you have a 31 IV in both HP and Def and an Adamant nature, this EV spread would work:

252 Attack, 136 Def, 120 HP.

That gives you max attack, 330 Defence, and 331 Hitpoints, which is the theoretical maximum physical bulk while having Max attack. If your IV's are different, which is likely, the EV spread changes, except when the Hitpoints and Defence IV's are equal. Can you post the IV's of your metagross?

Last edited: