• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Emerald Battle Frontier Team - Kikkoman

Kikkoman

Hi everyone!

Just want to see what you think of my BF team;
Not all moves are decided at the moment; I'm open to suggestions as long as they don't need me to breed a new Milotic! =P
Metagross@Chesto Berry
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Rest

Milotic@Lum Berry - MILOTIC ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE =P
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Toxic

-Weezing@Leftovers
-Sludge Bomb
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt
-Will-o-Wisp/Explosion

If people want me to put up stats/natures, I'm happy to do so. I'll put stats instead of EVs because not all the IVs are perfect etc, so actual stats might be more useful.
To be honest, the Weezing was there to give me a Ground immunity and a special force with the other elements that Milotic doesn't have. I really would have preferred to have Flygon as a special sweeper, with Dragon Claw, Flamethrower, Crunch and Earthquake, but I already used my Dragon Claw TM on my Sceptile which, tbh, I'm not a big fan of anymore... Do you think the Flygon would be a better bet, even if I use, say, Dragonbreath instead?

Aura Sensei™

User Title
I strongly recommend you use EV's or the BF will be hard for you.

Metagross @Leftovers
]Adamant l Clear Body[
]252 Atk. l 174 Speed l 74 HP[
• Meteor Mash
• Agility
• Rock Slide
• Earthquake

QuakeSlide coverage.The EV's allow it to outspeed base80-90's after about Agility's.

Weezing dosen't hit very hard,so I suggest you use Alakazam if you want a Special Sweeper.

Alakazam @Lum Berry
]Timid l Synchronize[
]252 Sp.Atk. l 252 Speed l 4 HP[
• Psychic
• Thnderpunch
• Ice Punch
• Fire Punch / Calm Mind

Alakazam isn't buky enough to set up well,so this is a good option.Keep in mind you can use Calm Mind if you want.

Emeraldfan

Uhm, your EV's on Metagross are off Logan... You gave it waaaaay too much speed... Agility is Speed x2 :) So 396/2=198. Outspeeding the fastest Jolteon / Crobat / Aerodactyl.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Adamant
168 Hit Points / 252 Attack / 88 Speed (Assuming speed IV is 31)
~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Agility

Kikkoman

K, might as well put up stats now...
They're at level 50 at the moment, and I'm unsure if I wanna go up to level 100 at the moment. It would mean Agility for Metagross, though, that's the only thing. I'll give it Rock Slide though, that's a good option; how come not Brick Break though, out of curiosity?
I *have* EV trained and checked for IVs etc for Metagross and Milotic so far (Weezing is still not actually trained up yet =P ). Here are the stats; can't be bothered writing up the EVs and IVs, wouldn't really make as much sense seeing as in game they're both relevant.
Metagross (Jolly) - HP 177, Atk 184, Def 148, SA 91 (irrelevant), SD 108, Speed 102 (level 100 would be 199 ;) )
Milotic (Modest) - HP 192, Atk 63, Def 104, SA 154, SD 145, Speed 101 (got a relatively bad Speed IV in return for everything else 25+ =P )

This was what my Weezing would look like once trained up:
Weezing (Quiet) - HP 160, Atk 108, Def 139, SA 143, SD 90, Sp 68

I hear you, Aura sensai, about Alakazam. Only thing is that I don't have any friends to trade with to evolve Kadabra into Alakazam =P I wish I could though, that was something I wanted to have. Weezing is more for the Ground Immunity that helps out Metagross and the Grass resistance that helps out Milotic (though that's not as crucial). I wanted Flygon though, because that would have been better with Ground and Electric moves instead.

Last edited:

Kikkoman

Sorry for the bump, just want to hear feedback about my team and stuff; pretty sure I'll keep going with Weezing since I can't get an Alakazam, nor can I get an effective special Flygon (since I can't give it Dragon Claw at this stage). It's not that I think Weezing hits too particularly hard, it's just that its resistance to Grass and immunity to Ground both help out Metagross and Milotic a lot, and its only weakness (Psychic) is likewise covered well by Metagross.
What do people suggest for Weezing? (stats in the post above) I'm thinking:
Weezing @Leftovers (or Chesto if I give him Rest)
Sludge Bomb
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Rest/Explosion/Haze?

Or, like I asked last time, should I just go ahead with a special Flygon anyway, even if it won't have Dragon Claw?
Flygon@____
Modest/Rash (if EQ)
-Flamethrower
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Crunch/Earthquake

Please give thoughts! How does my Weezing look, and/or should I go for Flygon after all?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Uhm, your EV's on Metagross are off Logan... You gave it waaaaay too much speed... Agility is Speed x2 :) So 396/2=198. Outspeeding the fastest Jolteon / Crobat / Aerodactyl.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Adamant
168 Hit Points / 252 Attack / 88 Speed (Assuming speed IV is 31)
~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Agility

I prefer 252 Atk, 136 Def, 120 HP. Gives it 176 speed prior to Agility, and 352 after Agility, which is more than enough in the battle frontier. From my experience only Ninjask outruns it after Agility, and some Electrodes. It outruns all Aerodactyl and most Jolteons after Agility, as well as outrunning all versions of Lati twins. At the same time my EV's give a massive physical defense boost. It can take very heavy physical hits. It can avoid getting 2KOed by EQ coming from Tyranitar, Salamence, or Metagross, while at 405 Atk this Metagross deals about 65% damage to opposing Metagrosses with EQ, so you'll beat opposing Metagrosses one on one. With a huge Atk stat and a huge physical defence power Metagross can take on physically challenging foes more easily. Curselax is one example. Metagross usually wins that one on one by spamming Meteor Mash and getting the occasional Attack boost. It can also beat foes like Rhydon one on one.
Why not Brick Break? Brick Break also works, but it leaves you in trouble against some foes like Zapdos, Gyarados, and Charizard. Brick Break doesn't have so much additional value next to Meteor Mash + Earthquake, because SE Brick Break hits just as hard as neutral Meteor Mash against foes like Snorlax.

If you want ground immunity, why not go with Salamence? It gets Dragon Claw naturally, and it is a lot stronger than Flygon.

My personal opinion about Weezing is that you won't really need it. Metagross already destroys Grass types with ease, and Weezing is mostly a physical wall, a job that Metagross can also do well, especially when backed up by Salamence with Intimidate. For the few remaining grass types Milotic can still fight back with Ice Beam if Salamence hasn't already finished them off. Grass types stand no chance to either Metagross nor Salamence.

Last edited:

Aura Sensei™

User Title
I would just go with Haze in the last slot since 'mons that set up are quite common in the BF.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
(http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15426)
you´re right, that´s why I even made some kind of BF speed tiers...enjoy

SPEED
394 jolteon (4)
359 jolteon (1), crobat (3,4)
339 dugtrio (1,2,3,4), sceptile (1,2,4)

So 352 won't be enough to outspeed everything. But it is of course your own pick.

I suppose you can run 180 speed prior to Agility to outrun modest Jolteon, as that only takes 16 EV's. Investing so much more EV's into just outrunning Timid Jolteon is in my opinion not worth it. Timid Jolteon also runs Thunder Wave, so you might still not outrun it as it simply paralyses you.

I'm also not so sure if your list is fully accurate, I think the attack stats of the AI Metagrosses are too big. I know that they never managed to 2KO my Metagross without crits, but if I input those attack stats in the damage calculator I get guaranteed 2KO's.

Last edited:

Emeraldfan

I suppose you can run 180 speed prior to Agility to outrun modest Jolteon, as that only takes 16 EV's. Investing so much more EV's into just outrunning Timid Jolteon is in my opinion not worth it. Timid Jolteon also runs Thunder Wave, so you might still not outrun it as it simply paralyses you.

I'm also not so sure if your list is fully accurate, I think the attack stats of the AI Metagrosses are too big. I know that they never managed to 2KO my Metagross without crits, but if I input those attack stats in the damage calculator I get guaranteed 2KO's.

It's not my list, it's one I found on Smogon and I thought that it was fairly helpful, especially when designing EV spreads. The speed might not be wort it, but then again. Let's assume that you have one Agility running. If you'd be running enough EV to outspeed Jolteon, you'd net the KO (probably) and you won't get T-waved. The bulkier spread would leave you paralyzed, and you don't want that against you in the BF with the even higher AI hax rate. But again, your pick. I'd probably breed one cool beldum with some perfect IV, clone it and see what works best...

M4zz

Banned
Playing off the idea that Logan had in regards to Weezing not being strong enough, and it really isn't, try this for a special sweeper:

381.gif

Latios @ Soul Dew / Lum Berry
Levitiate
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Claw
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

It may not be as fast as Alakazam, but it gives you a lot more to work with, and doesn't remove the Ground-type resistance you had in Weezing. On the off chance you have Soul Dew, use it, as it makes Latios a scray brute. If not, use Lum Berry to help against the inevitable hax found in the Frontier. Nice team.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Playing off the idea that Logan had in regards to Weezing not being strong enough, and it really isn't, try this for a special sweeper:

381.gif

Latios @ Soul Dew / Lum Berry
Levitiate
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Claw
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

It may not be as fast as Alakazam, but it gives you a lot more to work with, and doesn't remove the Ground-type resistance you had in Weezing. On the off chance you have Soul Dew, use it, as it makes Latios a scray brute. If not, use Lum Berry to help against the inevitable hax found in the Frontier. Nice team.

Latios doesn't have much use for Ice Beam actually when it already runs Thunderbolt and Dragon Claw. I'd say go with:

Latios @ Soul Dew / Shell Bell
Timid nature / Modest nature
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Psychic
-Dragon Claw
-Thunderbolt
-Surf

Psychic is a more powerful STAB move than Dragon Claw, and it's inevitable to annihilate threats like Gengar and Heracross, both of which can threaten Latios. It also covers poison types like Venusaur, Crobat, Muk, and fighting types like Breloom, Blaziken, Machamp, and Hariyama. Dragon Claw is secondary STAB to cover psychic and dark types. Thunderbolt covers waters that frequently carry Ice Beam and also covers flying types like Charizard, and Surf rounds off the coverage nice, hitting foes like Rhydon, Donphan, Tyranitar, Houndoom, and Steelix hard. Hits the entire game for neutral or better apart from Shedinja, and with a Soul Dew it can 2KO pretty much anything not called Blissey. Ice Beam is a bit redundant. Flying types are already hit by Thunderbolt, Ground types by Surf, Dragon types by Dragon Claw, and the only bulky grass type not being hit SE by this set are Meganium, Ludicolo, and Cradily, which can also be dealt with by just spamming Psychic.

Latios is an amazing pokémon in the Battle frontier, it really is. The only problem with it is that you can't breed for a good nature and IV's, so you have to be lucky with that. But even without a Soul Dew it is incredible. Huge type coverage that gets amazing Super Effective coverage, a huge Sp.Atk stat, good speed, and a good typing.

Last edited:

Kikkoman

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! To be honest, I haven't caught Latios properly yet (got it on 1HP atm) but I did catch it with Master ball at one point (then reset the game), just 'cause I was curious what the stats (IVs and Nature etc) were, and they weren't toooooo great; it was a Quirky nature, which isn't bad, but not good either... I might go with Salamence when I have the time to raise it; I guess I could really use a fast sweeper; I want it to be mainly special though, and hopefully have a lot of coverage.

Thanks for all the input! At the moment, actually, I'm just contesting level 50, and I got myself the gold Pike symbol =D Funnily enough, Weezing beat all three of her Pokemon single-handedly 'cause my Metagross was fainted!! =O =O I will strongly consider using a special Salamence (Dragon Claw, Flamethrower, Crunch, a beneficial HP/Hydro Pump). Just feels like a waste with all its Attack stat...

Xestt!

Go for a mixmence then. It's pretty nice to have something to use against both special tanks and physical ones, but the bad thing is that you have to divide your power. Either way, it's not that much of a "waste" as going for a special salamence, so you may want to consider it.

Salamence
Naughty
252 spe, 128 att, 128 spa
-Earthquake
-Aerial Ace/Rock Slide
-Hydro Pump/Flmaethrower/Dragon Claw
-Hydro Pump/Flamethrower/Dragon Claw

I would probably use something like that, but there are many possible variations, so feel free to create your own.

As for Latios, this was the moveset that I had on mine (before my saved game decided to delete itself):

Latios
Modest
252 Spa, 252 Spe, 6 Hp
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Calm Mind
-Recover

No stab, but Ice beam + Thunderbolt is only resisted by Lanturn, Magneton and Shedinja. All other pokemon are hit at least neutraly. Calm Mind + Recover is fun to toy with against any special attacker. It worked better than it looks on paper; before, I had had a different set, but this is the one that I ended up with eventually.