• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Emerald- BF Team Help

dbcb

A few things to limit confusion:

- emerald only, no trades
- only will have one item or one TM so don't tell me to put thunderbolt on two people for instance. the only TM I have used in-game is Thunderbolt on Gardevoir.

The only person on this team I would like to keep 100% is Sceptile. If I personally find out he is full of fail in the BF then I will ditch him but I want to find out first. This is theoritical right now because I need to breed, ev train, get battle points for certain moves, ect ect

oh and try to be somewhat original. please no starmies/salamence/metagross.

Sceptile @ Shell Bell
Overgrow
Timid (+sp -att)
252 speed/252 spa/4 def

- Leaf blade
- Dragon Claw
- Thunderpunch
- Crunch

Timid to be one of the fastest pokes in the game. Leaf blade for stab and swampert, the other three for coverage. self explanatory really. Also my lead.

Dusclups @ Leftovers
Pressure
Impish (+ df/-spa)
252 def/252 sdef/4 speed

- will-o-wisp
- confuse ray
- seismic toss
- pain split

Wall and crippler I suppose. seismic toss so I don't have to depend on its terrible attack/special attack and type makes no difference. Leftovers and pain split to regain health. This will really help against bulky physical attackers sceptile can't kill in one or two hit. His defense is so bad he can't take a hit.

Walrein @ Chesto Berry
Thick Fat
Calm (+ sdef. - att)
252 spatt/ 252 spdef/ 4 def

- Ice beam
- Surf
- Rest
- Toxic

ice beam for dragons and coverage. surf for coverage. rest to bring myself back alive + berry to wake up. toxic is to out stall pokes I can't kill directly.

Thoughts? Other pokes I have thought about using were (quickly)

Hariyama, thick fat,chesto berry
- belly drum
- cross chop/break break
- fake out
- rest

he covers the fire and ice weakness of sceptile due to thick fat. belly drum, rest, sweep if I get the chance. seems kind of unlikely though lol. worked for the elite 4!

Gardevoire
- psychic
- thunderbolt
- calm mind
- ice punch

special sweeper but she/he is so slow...

Altaria
-Dragon Dance
-EQ
-AA
-take down

Dusclops should always have max hp. Since I don't know your IVs I can't give you an exact spread, but your defense EVs should be around 100 and your special defense EVs around 160.

You're wasting EVs by giving Walrein a calm nature and max satk. You'll save EVs by having a modest nature and putting some EVs into special defense instead.

dbcb

my ev-noob self didn't even know you could add ev's to HP

do you think I will have any problems with any particular poke?

Xestt!

Altaria
-Dragon Dance
-EQ
-AA
-take down

Just a suggestion if you decide to use it - no take down, rest instead. AA and EQ give you enough coverage while altaria wants a recovery move and to make use of natural cure (natural resting).

dbcb

does crunch even have a use on a timid sceptile? it would rarely be used but I can't think of anything else to put there anyway. and I can't use another nature because that would already lower his already poor def/spedef.

dbcb

oh and would I have any shot at beating brandon with this team? his three birds will kill sceptile in one shot (I might get one thunderpunch in before dieing). walrein may be able to take out zapdos before getting shocked, and he would own moltres. but couldn't do anything to articuno besides toxic and stall.

blaziken05

Sceptile should outspeed the three. Calm Walrein might survive a STABed electric hit, but I don't have a damage calculator nearby to confirm. Ice beam and Surf do normal damage to Articuno, though. The ice type has horrid resistances (I believe it's only ice that it resists).

So it could win, but I would hardly call it guaranteed.

On Sceptile: Modest works too, but I think the speed is more useful. But you're right that you don't want to lower his defenses any more than you have to. Crunch is a decent option - it's just normally not used because many sets use Leech Seed (and one can't breed to get both). It hits ghosts and psychics, most of whom you outspeed, and I'm not sure anything else is worth it.

Last edited:

dbcb

I couldn't do leech seed anyway due to not having access to bulbasaur

I finally bred a timid sceptile with crunch so I suppose I will roll with that. hardest part is going to be getting enough battle points to get thunder punch

dbcb

I just realized playing battle factory with random pokes (I think that is the one) that I have NOTHING that could stop a blissey with toxic.

All I have are special attacks... it wouldn't make a dent i the AI was even somewhat smart and judging from the factory they are as I got owned by a blissey with toxic.

Dusclops could not do a thing with it. Waiting for blissey to die from burns and seismic toss would take 5 years. and if it had toxic I would die first for sure.

Any thoughs? The lack of a physical attacker seems troubling to me. Really thinking about using altaria instead of dusclops. It would look like...

Altaria @ chesto berry
Natural Cure
Adament
252 attack/???????

- Earthquake
- Ariel Ace
- Dragon Dance
- Rest

or would Flygon be better?

I just realized playing battle factory with random pokes (I think that is the one) that I have NOTHING that could stop a blissey with toxic.

Walrein?

I'd be more worried about this Bliss if I were you:

BLISSEY (2), bold, leftovers, 651,50,130,186,369,146, seismic toss, sing, attract, substitute

yea i would get owned by tat too

Not really. All you need to do is poison it as fast as you can. If your speed IVs are > 10 you're faster, so it can't hide behind a sub forever. On top of that, Walrein's HP is massive, so Blissey will most likely need five turns to KO it with ST. And you should try to get a female Walrein, since Blissey cannot attract females.

In other words - Blissey isn't your main problem. Your main problem is your lack of resistances. Dusclops is a great tank but it won't be too happy to switch into strong, neutral hits like Starmie's Surf, Latios' Dragon Claw or Metagross' Meteor Mash. Neither will Walrein, who is kind of screwed by its typing and lack of good moves. As far as bulky waters go, it's just not very great.

Last edited:

dbcb

do you have anybody in mind tha twould be better but not super overused?

blaziken05

Medicham is not incredibly overused and has pure power to give you some physical strength. Its other stats aren't incredible, so a lot will outspeed it, though.

I'd imagine by super overused, he means things like Salamence, Tyrannitar, Metagross, Gyarados, Starmie, etc. He listed some of those in the first post.

dbcb

blaziken has got it right. pokes like those.

is there a reason you chose medicham instead of hariyama blaziken? protection from psychics?

Well, you need a Pkmn that can absorb special attacks for you.

Snorlax and Blissey are out of the picture since they're common, and they're not even available in Emerald afaik.

It seems like your best option is a second-tier wall like Regice or Ludicolo.

dbcb

what kind of ev's would you run on hariyama? would you put 252 in defense or HP?

Exarius

252 attack, 252 HP. you can give him bulk up if you aren't using CB or belly drum