• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Emerald team to use in battle Frontier

toenip

Suicune Trainer
Thought I would drop my Emerald team in to see what is thought of it and any changes to move sets or items that each of my pokemon may need to make them better. Team is not EV trained or not the best natures that each of them could have but it is an in game team only.

I have been completed the game i.e. beat the elite four and caught all the legendary and I am thinking about going through the Battle Frontier, so here it is.

Level 50
Manectric - King’s Rock
Static
Impish
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Bite
Iron Tail

Level 47
Ninetails - Charcoal (Not got much to give her so that I may as well power up the STAB move)
Flash Fire
Jolly
Flamethrower
Will-O-Wisp
Confuse Ray
Quick Attack

Level 56
Flygon - Soft Sand (Not got much to give her so that I may as well power up the STAB move)
Levitate
Serious
Flamethrower
Crunch
Earthquake
Dragon breathe

Level 51
Milotic - Mystic Water (Not got much to give her so that I may as well power up the STAB move)
Marvel Scale
Modest
Surf
Toxic
Recover
Ice Beam

Level 57
Sceptile - Leftovers
Overgrown
Bold
Leaf Blade
Brick Break
Absorb
Dragon Claw

Altaria - None (Not found anything to give to it)
Natural Cure
Impish
Aerial Ace
Dragon Dance
Dragon Breathe
Flamethrower

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Do you have access to FR/LG, XD or Colosseum? And for the Battle Frontier you are pretty much going to have to EV train, every Pokémon in the BF is EV trained, and after you reach a certain point in each of the facilities they will have max IVs as well. If you want a guide for EV training or IVs I can show you one.

toenip

Suicune Trainer
Yea I do have access to FR/LG and Colosseum I also have Sapphire and Ruby that I can trade from, what you thinking? That's cool I know how to EV train so I no need for the guide but thanks for the offer.

I wish i did but i no longer have a gameboy that can play Advanced games.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Yea I do have access to FR/LG and Colosseum I also have Sapphire and Ruby that I can trade from, what you thinking? That's cool I know how to EV train so I no need for the guide but thanks for the offer.

That's good. I'm thinking with access to more National Pokémon you have a greater variety of Pokémon to choose from, plus extra items such as TM and PP-Ups if you're not keen on cloning.

I think you're team at the moment is okay. Some Pokémon I would recommend using for the Battle Frontier, namely Milotic, Flygon and maybe Sceptile. Manectric and Ninetales are maybe a push, they can be outclassed though, especially Ninetales since there aren;t many great Fire types to use in the BF. Altaria is outclassed completely by Salamence, in the BF a wall like Altaria is good but to be honest, Suicune is a much better wall. And saying this, you might not want to use two walls (Milotic and Suicune).

Since I'm a little tired, I'll quickly give you couple of nice movesets for Suicune, and some other Pokémon I have had great success and fun with. I'm going away for 3 days and I won't have internet, but on Wednesday/Thursday I'll have enough time to give you a proper review.

***​

Suicune @Leftovers
Bold/Calm/Modest
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Calm Mind
-Rest

I can't actually remember my own Suicune's EV spread, but it was good enough to wall pretty much anything in the end, after a couple of Calm Minds. YYou want to max out Defence since you have no way of boosting it, at least. Surf and Ice Beam are standard moves, Surf is for STAB and is all round great, Ice Beam lets you touch Dragons and Grass types. Calm Mind is great for boosting Suicune's Special stats. After 3 Calm Minds (Suicune is bulky enough to get in a few, unless you're against an Electric or Grass type), you're almost unstoppable and you are a Special beast as well. Rest gives you lots of longevity, and is helpful for burning your opponent's PP when combined with Pressure. Honestly, it's so much fun pullig off CMs and then Resting of any damage, and watch your opponents burn their PP. They hardly ever switch so soon enough you will get them Struggling. That's when you hit back.

Sometimes people don't use Ice Beam and have Sleep Talk, so they're not completely sitting ducks. I don't mind since I can wait out Suicune to wake up and then go back onto the offensive. I strongly recommend getting Colo's Suicune, since the one from FR/LG is IV glitched.

Metagross @Lum Berry
Adamant
-Light Screen/Rock Slide/ Explosion
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Agility

If Suicune is a Special wall, this thing is a Physical wall. Sky-high Attack and Defence, which can be complemented with Agility and Light Screen if you like. If you allocate enough Speed EVs you will outrun every single Pokémon, even max speed Jolteon and Aerodactyl. Light Screen gives you some Special resistance, this is my personal choice since it's a nice support move if Metagross has to go out, or is facing Special attacks it doesn't resist. People often use Explosion or Rock Slide instead, the former to go out with a bang, and the latter to get some coverage. I wouldn't really recommend Rock Slide, since it's not too powerful, can be inaccurate and is only as strong as STAB Meteor Mash (150 STAB power vs. 150 Super Effective power for Rock Slide). Earhquake is good enough to cover Rock Slide's super hits anyway.

I also used Zapdos. It's a great Pokémon to use since you can run a mixed set. I used the one from XD which has Extrasensory and Metal Sound as hidden moves, and also had Hidden Power Grass and a Modest nature, which was pure luck. Starmie is a good alternative, and gets more coverage, but isn't as hard hitting.

Starmie @Whatever
Modest
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic or Recover

Starmie isn't as much of a wall as Suicune or Metagross, but can hit from the get go. Surf is standard STAB, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt get neutral or super hits on everything except Lanturn and Magneton and one other I think. Psychic gets good STAB and can hit Weezing, Muk and Fighting types hard, whereas Recover gives you more survival. It's up to you. Keep n mind that Starmie cannot hit Blissey, unless you get way too many Critical Hits, and get Para- or Freeze-hax ;)

I think I'll leave it there. I will try give a proper rate in a few days' time. Hopefully that's some help of sorts :)

Last edited:

Emeraldfan

Adding to what Sabreus said, I believe standard Suicune runs Bold 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef

Metagross wants 92 Speed EV (and max IV) to outrun everything in the BF (iirc). I'll take a look at some of my older rates, since I've suggested Agiligross quite a lot. Adamant nature and max Attk, some speed rest HP is what I believe to work best.

Starmie wants 252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 6 HP and 31 Speed IV at the least. That allows it to outspeed all positive base max 100 Speed (including Salamence and Flygon).

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I never actually used Light Screen on Agiligross before. What are opportunities for setting it up? Most of the times I just stick to plain attacking, either with or without Agility boost. Agility is different because it doesn't lose you a turn if you are slower before use and faster after. On the other hand, Rock Slide on that spot is also very situational, I only use it against Mantine, Gyarados, Zapdos, Shedinja, Charizard, and Moltres, and only against the latter two if I already have Agility active because otherwise they use their fire moves to destroy Gross.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
I never actually used Light Screen on Agiligross before. What are opportunities for setting it up? Most of the times I just stick to plain attacking, either with or without Agility boost. Agility is different because it doesn't lose you a turn if you are slower before use and faster after. On the other hand, Rock Slide on that spot is also very situational, I only use it against Mantine, Gyarados, Zapdos, Shedinja, Charizard, and Moltres, and only against the latter two if I already have Agility active because otherwise they use their fire moves to destroy Gross.

Some good points made. Light Screen is situational too; usually I use Light Screen after an Agility, especially if the AI has something that can't touch it or hurt it too badly, or if I'm using the opponent as set-up fodder. On the other hand, if I face up against something bulky like Slowbro or Skarmory I'd happily get a Screen up and switch to something that can take the opponent down. Usually I can do this before Light Screen fades so almost all the time this strategy works out. I did consider Rock Slide on my Agiligross; however I thought I'd like a bit of Special support through my team, since it doesn't have the best SpD IV, and it's team support. Plus I like a bit of variation from the norm.

EDIT: ORIGINAL POST EDITED TO INCLUDE LIGHT SCREEN ALTERNATIVE.

Last edited:

RJ OVO

Returning Leader..
Quick point about Ninetales - I wouldn't mix Will o Wisp and Confuse Ray. With confusion, you're aiming to make the opponent hurt itself as much as possible. This damage would be reduced if their attack stat is reduced from the burn. For maximum HP drainage, try Toxic with Confuse Ray here :)

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Starmie wants 252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 6 HP and 31 Speed IV at the least. That allows it to outspeed all positive base max 100 Speed (including Salamence and Flygon).

This isn't too much of a problem. Neither of Flygon or Salamence carry enough speed to outspeed Starmie, provided you have a decent IV and 252 EVs. Both have natures that do not affect speed, iirc they are either neutral, Special or Attack boosted. And the max EVs AI Flygon and Salamence have is 252 Speed, but it still isn't enough to outspeed Starmie. I'm not sure about other base 100s/thereabouts. I found a lovely spreadsheet with every BF Pokemon, including their IVs, EV spreads, natures and moves. It even has the Frontier Brains' Pokemon bar Noland. If I find the link for it I will repost it :).