• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Emerald trade does not work with DS?

fatbadger

Ok so I went out and bought Emerald today and got it home and plugged it into my DS Lite and started reading the instruction book when I saw it.

pg 47
"Although you can enjoy this game on your Nintendo DS, the ability to link up, trade, and battle with other versions of Pokemon in only available when you are playing on a Game Boy Advanced."

What??????

So are you telling me that I have to go out and buy a GBA so I can trade with a buddy of mine that just bought Rf and he will have to go out and get a GBA too just so we can trade?

Has anyone tried to trade on a DS lite? I would think that if you can trade via a wireless adapter for the GBA that the Lite wireless feature would work the same? Right? Anyone?

Miss Rarity

A rarity to come by
Nope.... I have a DS Lite and that doesn't work.. also the Ds Lite wireless feature is also available on the regular ds.... I don't know why everyone thinks the original Ds is so inferior to the DS Lite... Anywho you have to get a Gameboy, and a link up cable if you dont have the wireless adapter

Kaioga

Flame Trainer
The DS doesn't support connectivity with GBA games. Hardware restrictions. Just because a GBA can have the wireless thing, it still can't wireless trade with a DS.

So yes, if you do want to trade with your friend, you'd have to do it with GBAs. Either with wireless adaptors or a link cable.

And the wireless between Lite and Original is the same.

fatbadger

I heard that I will be able to trade off the GBA carts onto the D/P DS cards with my DS. Does anyone know if this is true?

Dark Master Zork

dark scizor master
yes you can but it is more like a transfer you cant transfer back

Last edited:

Ho-oh Tamer

Yes it is (to an extent). You can transfer from a GBA game to D/P by inserting the cart in and having the DS card in as well but you can't trade back. You can't trade from D/P to a GBA game.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
One last thing: You can't do it with the Game Boy Micro either. It doesn't have the right plug for it. You'll have to do it on either an old-fashioned Game Boy Advance or a still-old-fashioned-but-not-so-much Game Boy Advance SP. I'll bet the classic GBA sells for like $20 now.

(Incidentally, the e-Reader works with the DS Lite but not the original DS.)

Fatalitii

Hah, I have no idea. But I know I bought my Emerald a day after I got my old fashioned black GBA, and then I broke the GBA battery cover when I'd had that blasted $50 thing for a week. ;_; That's how long it took me to finish Emerald too.