• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Emolga Strategy

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm currently training an Emolga to act as a support pokemon for both Singles & Doubles, but I'm having trouble figuring out a fourth move:

Emolga (level 72) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
If the Crown Tundra does have an item that gives a pokemon its HA, I'm switching Emolga's to Motor Drive
Nature: Timid
EVs: Sp. ATK, Speed
Moves:
  • Volt Switch
  • Air Slash
  • Energy Ball
  • Encore

The first three moves are staying, but Encore hasn't been working out as well as I hoped, so I'm thinking of replacing it with another move. The only 2 moves I've been thinking of so far are either Speed Swap or Thunder Wave, but I'm not sure if something else would work better. I also haven't had the chance to try Emolga out in Doubles yet, so maybe Encore has more use there.

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Thunder Wave is a viable option. You might be a lucky paralysis

Golden_Arcanine

A utility move like Thunder Wave/Nuzzle/Electroweb would probably be best

That's probably the way I'd take it. Not sure Emolga has any real viability. It has neither the bulk nor strength to give much support IMO.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
That's probably the way I'd take it. Not sure Emolga has any real viability. It has neither the bulk nor strength to give much support IMO.
It has come in handy in subtle ways like chipping opponents for the rest of the team to land the finishing blows or beating other pokemon by Dynamaxing. Volt Switch helps take out strong Flying types, Energy Ball helps lowers opponent's special defense, & using Air Slash as Max Airstream helped Emolga outspeed stronger pokemon. It came in handy several times during the Armored Beginnings tournament & through simulated battles in Showdown.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
even the worst pokemon have some limited viability in the smallest chances under right conditions. it doesnt mean that it would do well in a tournament but it still has it own conditions. heck i used fetch'd back in gen6 and 7 and it had its own limited conditions for victory.

i literally bred a 0IV ledyba/ledian, adamant iron fist with an only positive stat in SPA. it sucked as intended but a newb/noob lost 7-8 turns trying to KO with regice zapcannon and low accuracy moves before trying a ice move to KO it LOL. i was just using power up punch and trying punch attacks trying to see how long it survives for ....academic purposes. it was hilarious, they wasted half the turn with iron defense. i guess stacking power up punch is scaryAF.

Last edited:

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
This is what my Emolga runs. It's just a fun build, nothing to take actually seriously.

Emolga@Choice Band
Motor Drive
Jolly
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Def
Wild Charge, Acrobatics, Fling (For Dynamax or Band removal), U-Turn

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm currently training an Emolga to act as a support pokemon for both Singles & Doubles, but I'm having trouble figuring out a fourth move:

Emolga (level 72) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
If the Crown Tundra does have an item that gives a pokemon its HA, I'm switching Emolga's to Motor Drive
Nature: Timid
EVs: Sp. ATK, Speed
Moves:
  • Volt Switch
  • Air Slash
  • Energy Ball
  • Encore

The first three moves are staying, but Encore hasn't been working out as well as I hoped, so I'm thinking of replacing it with another move. The only 2 moves I've been thinking of so far are either Speed Swap or Thunder Wave, but I'm not sure if something else would work better. I also haven't had the chance to try Emolga out in Doubles yet, so maybe Encore has more use there.

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The way I see it, if the Pokémon can learn Nuzzle, you don't need Thunder Wave. Nuzzle does the same thing as Thunder Wave, except it also deals damage (so it can't be blocked with Taunt and can be used on Assault Vest movesets, not that it's a good idea on Emolga, and can break Focus Sash users) and has higher accuracy.

This is all theory, but I think the best way to use Emolga is as support, to stack advantages onto your side and disadvantages on the opponent's side. Emolga's Attack and Special Attack are...not so great (though I admit I've raised attackers with lower offensive stats, like Lumineon and Kantonian Persian), but it gets disruption moves like Nuzzle, Thunder Wave, Encore, Eerie Impulse, Covet, Defog, Charm, and Electroweb; and supplemental moves like Light Screen, Baton Pass, Speed Swap, Volt Switch, and Helping Hand. Encore is a pretty advanced move, especially on a low-attack Pokémon like Emolga; they're probably not going to waste their time with status moves unless they absolutely need it to function (like Trick Room or Tailwind), and this being a single battle, even on Sword/Shield Ranked, they're just going to switch out. Unlike Pokémon like Togedemaru or Togekiss, Emolga doesn't have the hitting power to put the opponent in a bad situation by forcing them to switch; nor does it have the bulk like Indeedee or Clefable to necessarily withstand whatever comes out next.

Encore works out a lot better in double battles, since Emolga can have a partner that will do the heavy lifting with Emolga providing the boost needed for its partner to pull the weight of two. Switching is rare in double battles and carries a high risk, so Pokémon with Encore can typically get away with using it and letting the condition stick. At the same time, however, status moves are not as big a thing in double battles, though if you see a Pokémon like Whimscott or Dusclops, you can safely cast Encore on it.

If you ever choose to go for Emolga with Motor Drive and you use one for double battles, try partnering it with something with Ally Switch, especially if it's something weak to Electric or you spot an Electric-type in Team Preview and they're likely to bring it out first (like Toxtricity or Jolteon).

even the worst pokemon have some limited viability in the smallest chances under right conditions. it doesnt mean that it would do well in a tournament but it still has it own conditions. heck i used fetch'd back in gen6 and 7 and it had its own limited conditions for victory.

i literally bred a 0IV ledyba/ledian, adamant iron fist with an only positive stat in SPA. it sucked as intended but a newb/noob lost 7-8 turns trying to KO with regice zapcannon and low accuracy moves before trying a ice move to KO it LOL. i was just using power up punch and trying punch attacks trying to see how long it survives for ....academic purposes. it was hilarious, they wasted half the turn with iron defense. i guess stacking power up punch is scaryAF.

I was inspired to use Pokémon off the metagame by this YouTuber named kyono07. He's Japanese, and he was an early adopter of Pokémon Battle Revolution. Ledian was his signature Pokémon, and it would always go out first no matter what his opponent did. He didn't win many matches at first, but he learned how to use Ledian and play to its strengths, and after a couple of months, he started winning battles and taking out opponents using that Ledian.

Someday, I'll put Ledian on a team myself, to use online and for VGCs, as a tribute to him.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I was inspired to use Pokémon off the metagame by this YouTuber named kyono07. He's Japanese, and he was an early adopter of Pokémon Battle Revolution. Ledian was his signature Pokémon, and it would always go out first no matter what his opponent did. He didn't win many matches at first, but he learned how to use Ledian and play to its strengths, and after a couple of months, he started winning battles and taking out opponents using that Ledian.

Someday, I'll put Ledian on a team myself, to use online and for VGCs, as a tribute to him.

For unusual strategies, I recomend Pimpnite's channel as well. He's had a lot of success with unusual sets and strategies. The other day he had a very interesting battle where his opponent used Toxic Spikes then put it on their side of the field in order to exploit it. Really interesting

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
For unusual strategies, I recomend Pimpnite's channel as well. He's had a lot of success with unusual sets and strategies. The other day he had a very interesting battle where his opponent used Toxic Spikes then put it on their side of the field in order to exploit it. Really interesting
Yeah but aren’t those mostly for casual battles? I personally like using unusual teams for in-game & competitive since I always tried following Ash’s philosophy of how any pokémon can be strong if you raise it right. Plus, I was partly inspired by Se Jun Park after he won World’s using pokémon like Gothitelle & Pachirisu

nel3

Crimson Dragon

for me it was just a set for the kicks. i use pokemon that arent often used, heck i even made a SDF tank from a bellossom (strength sap is rather useful). i wanted to choose ledian for its stats and try and troll players by making it as weak as possible, or atleast not completely weak in nature and ability. it got KO'd a fair amount rapidly but that one battle it trolled the player was gold., it didnt even do 1/4 damage to regice LOL.

it does make me wonder if i remake that ledian with proper 5 31IVs and see what it can do....