• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Emotional Moments in Pokemon

Blazing Charmander

I'm sure there have all been times where each of us (yes, even the so-called strong-minded ones :p) have had to choke the tears back when watching a certain Pokemon scene, be it a main character bidding farewell to a good friend, or generally a dramatic and emotionally-charged event.

As a result, this thread is to talk about scenes where you have had to fight the tears back. There will definitely be some common ones that will be mentioned numerous times, so when discussing the moments, state what makes you feel so emotional about it.

Bye Bye Butterfree is definitely the most emotional one for me. I was only 8 when I first saw it and was in disbelief that Ash was letting his first caught Pokemon go for good. At that moment I was in utter shock, but when we saw a tear-faced Ash and Pikachu before a flashback appeared of Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree, I was physically brought to tears. It's the only time i've actually shed a tear at an episode, although i've come close many other times lol.

Care to share your favourite emotional moments - whether they make you happy, sad, or a bit of both lol?

Last edited:

Warped Reflection

I personally like the episode when Misty left after Johto. I really didn't like her that much during Johto so I was only just as happy to see her leave.

CliveKoopa

Any scene what has that music like in Bye Bye Butterfree and the spearow scene in the first episode is quite emotional. That music IMO is quite depressing.

I'm such an emotional loser. I'll cry over anything. xD

Let's see, certain moments, that made me tear up, or at least almost..

The first episode, with that dramatic music, and the Spearows coming after Satoshi. That music just gets me, sorry. xDD

Bye Bye Butterfree.
The one where Pikachu almost leaves.
When Kasumi leaves ):. that whole scene makes me cry, haha.
When Haruka looses the Kanto Grand Festival and starts to cry.
The Manaphy movie. All those Haruka/Manaphy moments ..epsecially when Jackie is talking to Satoshi about keeping Haruka and Manaphy away from each other, and she runs away crying. and the ending. AH I TEAR UP ALL THE TIME.

Haruka's leaving wasn't emotional really, but it made me cry because ..it was Haruka leaving. D:

And when Musashi gives up Dustox.
The 1st movie, when Satoshi dies ..and all the Pokemon are crying. lmao.

There's so many more, I know. But let's just leave it at that for now. xD
I'm an emotional mess for sappiness.

Meron

Shaymin crying and saying "Arigato desho" in the end.

Dokucale and Butterfree release episodes.

The 2nd movie when "The Legend Comes To Life" played... it brings tears of happiness to my eyes. I even prefer it to the Japanese version, which has better music overall.

When "Oracion" was played in the 10th movie.

TeddiUrsa

The whole Ralts-episode in Hoenn....Don´t want to talk about it though...*cries*...that was a tearful christmas....

~AussieWonder~

"A poached ego" in AG, where Jessie and James said goodbye to Arbok and Weezing while fighting off Tyranitar. Sad stuff........

Blazing Charmander

Well it seems like everyone finds similar scenes to myself emotional, so I guess this proves that the writers really did make the scenes well. As I said before about the Kangaskhan episode, just seeing Tommy crying about losing his parents is enough to pull at your heartstrings. :( Other emotional episodes for me are:

- Pokemon I Choose You: The classic scene where Ash tries to get a beaten Pikachu to get in its Pokeball in the pouring rain, while he challenges the Spearow to attack him. Namida No Chihare (I think that's what it's called) plays in the background, and makes the scene so much more emotional.

- Bye Bye Butterfree: Not so much anymore but this is the only episode to have physically reduced me to tears. The first time I watched it, I didn't know Ash would seriously let his first caught Pokemon go, with whom he developed a great attachment to. The flashback got the tears going, especially with Namida No Chihare (once again correct me if i'm wrong) playing in the background. *Sniff*

- Pikachu's Goodbye: Although I never cried at this, I was so close to. I now realise that this was just an excuse to bring Ash and Pikachu closer together, but as an 8 year old viewer, I genuinely thought he was releasing the fella. The flashback was tearjerking, and the reunion at the end was just the sweetest thing ever.

- Pokemon the First Movie: Once again, it seems like a silly plot twist looking back at it now, but before seeing the movie my friends told me that "Ash dies" in the movie, and nothing more. So when I saw it in the cinema and thought he was a goner with all the Pokemon crying, I was once again on the verge of tears lol. In the end though, he's just petrified and is soon revived by Pokemon tears hehe.

Pearl's Perap

Bye Bye Butterfree.
The one where Pikachu almost leaves.

And when Musashi gives up Dustox.
The 1st movie, when Satoshi dies ..and all the Pokemon are crying. lmao.

Those were the four moments that made me well up, too and I'm a guy. I only watched the Dustox episode a few weeks back but I was speechless for a while afterwards, even if it didn't get enough screen time, it was a really emotional episode ;__;

.Vaati.

.:Guilty Love
I cried when James told Cacnea to go with Gardenia.

I found a lot of the "Haruka moments" emotional although I may've only cried for one of them. I really liked her and Drew.

sweetpikachu

PYT. ♥ (:
When May didn't win the grand fesitival and started sobbing, that part serously made a tear come out.

Also, in Rise Of Darkrai, when everyone was sad because they lost Darkrai, that part made bury my head in my pillow and cry. It was so sad.

Pikachu's Goodbye also made me get all teary. I really thought Pikachu was going to leave forever. I loved that part where Pika came back to Ash.

But, my #1 one tear-jerking Pokemon moment was in Pokemon: The First Movie when Ash "died". It was so depressing to see Pikachu keep using
thunderbolt trying to revive him. When all the tears started bringing Ash back, (plus, Pikachu's cute whimper) the first time I saw that, I started sobbing tears of joy. I loved that part when Pikachu went and hugged Ash after he came back. To this day, when I hear "If Only Tears Could Bring You back", I think of that moment and get all teary-eyed.

Last edited:

Shadow_Lugia_XD001

Guess who's back
when latios dies in movie 5
the bit where his ghost says goodbye to latias got me ;_;

;249-d;

When May didn't win the grand fesitival and started sobbing, that part serously made a tear come out.
That got to me as well...

Pikachu's Goodbye was emotional for me; particularly the flashbacks while The Time Has Come plays in the background. So sweet.

Bye Bye Butterfree; namely the flashbacks while "Tears, After the Cloudy Weather" plays in the background.

Grass Hysteria; particularly when May almost had to leave Bulbasaur forever, but Bulbasaur then races to her at the last minute.

Do I Hear A Ralts; after Max successfully gets Ralts to the Pokémon Centre and finds Ash, Brock and May, Max gets emotional. The brother/sister hug was what got me, it was so sweet =3

Marzillius

'The Kangaskhan Kid' wasn't emotional at all tbh, that kids dad looked so ****ing ridicoulus is screwed up the emotions :p

"Once there were Greenfields", "A Poached Ego", "Crossing Paths" and "Sweet Baby James" are the ones I have had to fight tears. I never cry for Ash, I hate every single cell in his body and I laughed when he died in the first movie.

I like Team Rocket however, and James have had to make three sad releases so far, with Cacnea's release being the saddest I think. When Battle Dimension has ended I want James to get Cacnea back. Cacnea had a great personality, much better than that crazy Carnivine.

Blazing Charmander

'The Kangaskhan Kid' wasn't emotional at all tbh, that kids dad looked so ****ing ridicoulus is screwed up the emotions :p

In hindsight, I realise you're right. I guess I mentioned it because I watched a compilation of emotional clips from Pokemon on Youtube yesterday, which includes that scene and I guess it was just the rest of the clips got to me before hearing Tommy crying lol. However, when I took time to watch the whole episode again today for the first time in five years, I remembered just how stupid it was and how the parents probably deserved to be under all that rubble lol. I didn't feel sad at all!

So we can definitely chalk that one off the board of emotional moments lmao. *EDITS opening post with a more fittingly emotional scene* ;)

Last edited:

PokemonHero

I can see the future
To tell you the truth, I was confused when I first saw Mewtwo Strikes Back in theatres during the scene where Ash was turned to stone. Only after I watched it a few more times at home did I really get it. And even then, I wasn't moved to tears. I don't know why, it wasn't really that emotional for me.

There are two moments that stick out to me, both from the movies. Movie 8 when Lucario sacrificed himself was certainly the most moving scene for me. Lucario instantly became one of my favorite Pokemon after that movie. The other moment was Movie 10 with the "Oracion" overture and the Space-Time Tower expanding and being engulfed in that golden light. The whole scene was beautiful and very moving.