• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Empathy towards NPC-s or: am I insane?

iGotNoiPad

I was kind of sad with the Memory Links, especially the music and the feeling of the BW player character actually went off and never seen again was quite sad for me.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I know, these people and creatures are just bytes. But for some reason, I get intense reactions in certain cases. Am I the only one? Is this normal?

And I know that Harry Potter is a fictional character fleshed out through text on paper. But I feel empathy for him and all his friends. Hell, even Snape, who was built up to be the most hated character in the series (outside of Voldemort), turned out to be one of the most empathetic characters in the series. That's what great writing does.

Pokémon may not have the best story in the world, but if a character is written in such a way in the series where you really do feel bad for them (example, over time people started feeling more sorry for Blue and feeling bad for destroying his dream in the end, though this is all alternative character interpretation), then you can't help it. The creators did their job, and that's completely normal. As long as you don't obsess over them 24/7, of course, then you're not insane.

mjjfan10

Pokemon Trader
I get inexplicably sad whenever I see the Celestial Tower/Pokemon Tower. Just the thought of people going there to visit Pokemon whom they traveled with for years and are never able to see again makes me want to cry...
And, to this day, I have a lot of trouble releasing a Pokemon. Like, I just can't do it. It's just this feeling that I'm abandoning something that stops me.

caucasianazn

Parasol Girl
The only character that stirs up my emotions to any extent is N, won´t dive into the details, but I do feel a significant amount of empathy towards him.
One thing that does bug me is the fact that (as far as I´ve played/know) the protagonist from BW doesn´t appear in b2w2.
N is constantly referring to this astonishing trainer that he has set his heart on finding so he can let them know how they´ve effected his views.
When you reach Nuvema Town, the PC ¨looks like it hasn´t been used in a long time,¨ and their mother mistakes you for them. I dunno why, but that broke my heart a little.
Besides, I secretly hoped they´d include them, hidden off in Twist Mountain or something for a battle, like Red. Not very original, but would have been neat, IMO.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Feeling bad for NPC's makes those infinite healing old ladies a deadly trap.

You say no and they make you feel bad about it. You say yes, your'e stuck there forever.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Feeling bad for NPC's makes those infinite healing old ladies a deadly trap.

You say no and they make you feel bad about it. You say yes, your'e stuck there forever.

Imma gonna quote that on FB if you don't mind.

I experienced certain empathy towards Hugh and N during Black 2. Hugh was very hard on himself when his sister's pokémon was stolen, and travelled Unova to get stronger and to get Purrloin back. Sure he didn't think things through because he was blinded by rage, but that's also what makes him an interesting character. During Black/White 1 i thought N was somewhat of a p***y, but the tales in Black/White 2 stirred up some empathy inside of me. N had a change of heart and now knows that pokémon and people get to know eachother better through battling, that it's not just about being the best. And the way he defended you against Ghetsis with his pal Zekrom/Reshiram, well, the guy has my respect from now on.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
And I know that Harry Potter is a fictional character fleshed out through text on paper. But I feel empathy for him and all his friends. Hell, even Snape, who was built up to be the most hated character in the series (outside of Voldemort), turned out to be one of the most empathetic characters in the series. That's what great writing does.

Pokémon may not have the best story in the world, but if a character is written in such a way in the series where you really do feel bad for them (example, over time people started feeling more sorry for Blue and feeling bad for destroying his dream in the end, though this is all alternative character interpretation), then you can't help it. The creators did their job, and that's completely normal. As long as you don't obsess over them 24/7, of course, then you're not insane.

Mmmmmyup, all of this. If you empathize with a fictional character, it means two things: A) they were written well enough that any intention to connect with the reader/viewer has been accomplished, and B) you're a human being with normal human being emotions when it comes to stories and fiction.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I actually felt a bit bad for the Volcarona alone in the collapsed Relic Castle, yes.

Umbreon9

It's been a while...
Nope, you're insane.

I don't think it's insane to have normal human emotions... I mean, I know it's just a game, but I'd say it's natural to get attached and feel sorry for certain characters because, even if they aren't real, they're supposed to represent people or pets, right? If your friend or pet was sad, wouldn't you be?
Well, that's just my opinion, anyway. For all I know I could sound like some insane idiot to you.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
I do feel the need to mention that I've had severe crying fits after realizing that Golett/Golurk have no purpose now, that the ancient civilizations are mere ruins ruins falling apart. Nothing to guard, or build. Same reaction regarding the Join Avenue NPC-s. I also wonder...is the BW player character seen in BW2? Or at least given a good mention? I'm particularly sensitive to things and people abandoned or forgotten.

The BW player never actually appears in BW2, but he/she is mentioned several times, most notably by N. There are also mentions made by Cheren, Bianca, and a few other characters from the first games.

There are a lot of characters that I feel empathy towards in the games. N is the biggest one by far, having lived his entire life as a lie under the man he thought was his father. Blue (the Kanto rival) is another big one; his own grandfather likes you more than him, and even chastises Blue for not training his Pokemon well enough WHEN HE WAS THE LEAGUE CHAMPION. I feel bad for Copycat, getting her house torn down between Gen I and II. Silver is definitely a sympathetic figure, having been abandoned by his criminal father and left with a flawed view of how to treat Pokemon. Nobody takes Wally seriously; they just see a young, sickly boy too weak to take care of himself. Only by running away with his partner Ralts is he able to prove his strength. Bianca is held back by her father, while Cheren is goes on a futile pursuit for strength, though he's not quite sure what it is. Ex-Team Plasma members are viewed with suspicion even though they harbor no ill intentions. Cilan, Chili, and Cress are never seen as individuals, considered by their own companions to be a single Gym Leader. Alder is another tragic figure, having lost his partner.

All in all, there's a lot of reasons to feel empathy in a Pokemon game.

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
The fact that you feel empathy towards something that was created to simulate humans/or creatures in general isn't as farfetched as you would think.

Or should we say, Farfetch'd?

On topic, characters are meant to evoke emotion. So no, you aren't crazy.

Kim62

Hello
I do feel the need to mention that I've had severe crying fits after realizing that Golett/Golurk have no purpose now, that the ancient civilizations are mere ruins ruins falling apart. Nothing to guard, or build. Same reaction regarding the Join Avenue NPC-s. I also wonder...is the BW player character seen in BW2? Or at least given a good mention? I'm particularly sensitive to things and people abandoned or forgotten.
If you connect with the old game via memory link.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

This should probably be clarified; no, they never appear, but they are mentioned a lot. However, you'll only see people refer to them by name if you've performed the Memory Link. Otherwise they'll be referred to as "a certain Trainer" and stuff like that.

Zachmac

Well, if you don't, they are still mentioned, the name or gender just isn't stated. They only refer to him/her as "the hero", since they befriended on of the legendary dragons.

I understand your feelings toward the creatures, but I guess it's not your fault since its in a human's nature to feel attached to things they care deeply for.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
I actually felt a bit bad for the Volcarona alone in the collapsed Relic Castle, yes.

Such situations get to me as well. The loneliness and isolation, and the knowledge of the castle falling apart...all the history...its habitat... The Volcarona must be depressed beyond imagination.:(

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I think you're perfectly normal :)
The reasons are already mentioned by the others.

But a few things I need to mention

Or, upon leaving the Join Avenue and the first, offline-created shop, realizing that he/she will never be able to fulfill the ladies' request and make it a bustling place, because there is nobody's code to be gotten, nobody to invite?

You actually never need to use any Friend Code for the JA. In fact, just using the Dream World or trading via the GTS already lets people fill the JA.

.....and the game itself also generates people for the Join Avenue once per day, so even without Wi-Fi access it is still perfectly possible to fill the JA.

(I play on emulators because of eyesight preservation, so Wi-FI, IRC and other features are not available to me)

playing it on the computer may actually be even worse for your eyes than playing it on a DS

either way, you're still using your eyes, what's the difference?

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
I think you're perfectly normal :)
The reasons are already mentioned by the others.

But a few things I need to mention

You actually never need to use any Friend Code for the JA. In fact, just using the Dream World or trading via the GTS already lets people fill the JA.

.....and the game itself also generates people for the Join Avenue once per day, so even without Wi-Fi access it is still perfectly possible to fill the JA.

playing it on the computer may actually be even worse for your eyes than playing it on a DS

either way, you're still using your eyes, what's the difference?

I thought a small screen is worse than a big one. I may get a 3DS XL, if it exists. I do have saved money. Eyesight is probably my only concern- I have one good eye. And I saw generated NPC-s in the avenue. I do wish to make the lady NPC-s happy, as I feel they too are part of the Pokemon world that made me happy, and get through bad moments.

Last edited: