• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Empathy towards NPC-s or: am I insane?

henryqueue

PkMn trainer
What about that guy in BW2 who goes on about how he feels bad that when he gets old and dies, his pokemon will live on and miss him? I was like D: when he said that for a good hour.

And then there's the Marowak stuff, always gets to me.

Wolf Prince

Lycan Seraph
It isn't the fact that we are insane that makes us feel empathy toward NPC, but the character the NPC was programmed with and the story is what reaches us, making us think they are real...

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
This is exactly why I utterly refuse to carry around an HM slave in my team (I actually have serious issues with the term HM slave in general). You have a pokemon with you, but you never bring it out to battle or care for it. Its only use is for HMs. Imagine what the pokemon feels. You do not care about it, the only purpose it serves to use HM moves, and is otherwise disposable. If someone thought of you that way, how would you feel?

Same for me. I used a Bibarel in Diamond, but he was used for battle, with the HM-s he had on him.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
What about that guy in BW2 who goes on about how he feels bad that when he gets old and dies, his pokemon will live on and miss him?

Especially since it was Team Plasma that convinced him to release his Pokemon, meaning that they were right to at least a small degree.

Flame Mistress

This is exactly why I utterly refuse to carry around an HM slave in my team (I actually have serious issues with the term HM slave in general). You have a pokemon with you, but you never bring it out to battle or care for it. Its only use is for HMs. Imagine what the pokemon feels. You do not care about it, the only purpose it serves to use HM moves, and is otherwise disposable. If someone thought of you that way, how would you feel?

Thank god I'm not the only one. I always felt a bit irked that people would keep Pokemon solely to be slaves, even if they're just bits of data.

General Nonsense

Star Glider
Honestly, I don't like it when people say "Why should I care if I use pokemon like that? They're just pieces of data." Because that's almost like saying "Simba's dad died? Why should I care? It's just a drawing." Which would very likely cause you to be labeled as a jerk with no soul. Not much of a difference really...

In my first Pokemon game, Sapphire, I chose a Mudkip. She evolved into Swampert, and I beat the game. A long time later, the Gen 4 games came out. I waited until a few months past the HG/SS release to finally send my Swampert to those games. I've had her for almost a decade now, and if I were to ever lose her data, I would just be devastated. We've been through so much together, and I don't want to let anything bad happen to her.

EmperorNova

When I found out that you catch N's dragon in B2/W2 I felt kinda bad that he had to part with his long-time friend. Even if he lets you, it still feels sad but I still had to do it anyway. My sister already beat them but she doesn't want to go to Dragonspiral Tower and catch Zekrom (she plays B2, I play W2) for the same reason. Even sadder, Zekrom/Reshiram even sound sad leaving N, followed by N's "I know, I'll miss you too" line.

Dark Violet Moon Ray

I completely understand.

I do it too, the Pokemon in PC boxes I mean. I feel like, "Why keep this thing here if I don't really even need/want it?" But then, I go "Oh, because you gotta catch 'em all."

// end guilt-trip

I somewhat feel some warm feelings towards Cynthia... ... ... ...

munchlaxguy

The Rolling Thunder
Well I don't like putting my Stoutland or Miltank in the PC because I like them so much :D Also, I felt bad for Ghetsis I mean I liked him and I really didn't like N don't hate me for saying that but I felt bad for Ghetsis.

Manna

Rockin' the Suburbs
Well I don't like putting my Stoutland or Miltank in the PC because I like them so much :D Also, I felt bad for Ghetsis I mean I liked him and I really didn't like N don't hate me for saying that but I felt bad for Ghetsis.

Mind...can't process....just..what? How? Why? All his troubles were self-inflicted.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Hes not I think hes the best Villain out there and N sucks.

So, wait... you think he's the best villain, but you don't think he's evil and cunning?

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
Hes not I think hes the best Villain out there and N sucks.

Blasphemy! How dare you insult our Lord N!

lol I'm playing, but seriously how can you say N sucks? His story, his passion, his abilities , his weirdness, his GREEN HAIR! all works of art!

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo