• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Empowering or insulting?

Is it OK for non-disabled actors to play characters with disabilities?

• Yes

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Here's a topic that I feel will get a discussion going. How do you feel about actors portraying characters with disabilities or other disorders? Two examples who spring to mind are Jenna Ushkowitz who plays a character with a speech impediment - which we later find out is fake - in Glee, and Darren Langford from Hollyoaks whose character has severe autism. Do you find it insulting? Or are you just glad these disabilities are being properly portrayed in the media?

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
It's fine with me. This is their right to act what/who they want, even if it's a bit disturbing.
There is nothing to be offended when you know it's only an actor and not a real person.

Peter Quill

star-lord
It's fine with me. This is their right to act what/who they want, even if it's a bit disturbing.

Wait, how is this distubring?

I think it's nice to see people with disabilities portrayed in the media. To be honest even if they don't have it, or do have one it's still nice to see.

Penguinist Trainer

I don't see why the actor has to have a particular disability just to portray a character with a disability. It's called acting for a reason. These people are playing pretend and portraying the role that was given to them. If we stuck an autistic kid in a role just because his/her role has autism, that's not really acting, it's exploiting someone's disability for personal gain.

For instance, Gary Sinise from Forrest Gump. We didn't go out looking for a guy with no legs, just because his character had no legs.

Most actors/actresses who have to play a person with a disability or impairment, usually study people who deal with it to give their performances an authenticity. If people want to believe that this is empowering or insulting to people with that disability, it's their choice. This is the entertainment industry after all, their job is to entertain us 1st and preach its message 2nd.

Also lets not forget that there are entertainers out in the industry who have disabilities and more often than not are portraying normal people...most likely because I doubt they want a "pity party".

Howie Mandel is color blind, has OCD, and is severely afraid of germs, which is why he doesn't shake hands. Instead he bumps fists with people on his game show.

Michael J. Fox has Parkinson's Disease and is known for hiding his hands from the camera so people don't see the twitching.

Even Tom Cruise himself is dsylexic. I'm sure that must have been difficult since a large portion of his job involves reading scripts.

People can think what they want about disabilities in the media, but even big name stars have issues of their own to deal with.

dark rift

Well, I thought when Dustin Hoffman portrayed autism in 'Rain Man' it was good enough to not be insulting. It's only insulting if you get the impression that they are mocking the people with the disabilities, imo.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
I think it's very insulting when they play characters with mental disabilities. It's one of those things that I think should be handled by mentally disabled actors (and don't say they aren't capable; there are plenty of people with Downs Syndrome for example who have the intellectual ability to memorize lines)

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Who's Jenna? I can't think of a character like her in Glee, are you sure you don't mean Archie? The guy who plays him isn't actually in a wheelchair.

And no I don't think it's insulting, I am hearing impaired and I really do not care if an actor plays a character with a hearing problem and isn't really deaf (And it would be hard for deaf/blind actors I imagine, Ray Charles wasn't an actor was he? Just thinking).

Anyways I don't see the big deal, it's just a show who cares if the actor actually has a disability, if the show itself showed that it had problems with people with disability or other problems (And I mean every character making fun of one every chance I got, not one character that isn't supposed to be nice). then sure but other then that there's no problem. I heard there were complaints about the actor who plays Archie not being in a wheelchair, well there is one way to solve that problem, the other is just to get over it. Quite frankly I like the guy who plays Archie, he's not bad at singing really.

Who's Jenna? I can't think of a character like her in Glee.

22 year old South Korean actor Jenna Ushkowitz plays Tina. I was kinda miffed when I found out her speech impediment was fake, up 'till that point I though I'd found a soulmate in her character. I'm still a big fan of the show though.

Is it okay for actors/actresses to play murderers? Rape victims? Racists? Law enforcement?

People with disabilities are humans too, so why would they be excluded from those?

Xx Flare xX

I think it's perfectly fine.

As Overdose_On_Life pointed out, if they can play as rapists,drug dealers,terrorists ect: why can't they play the role of a disabled person?

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Soul- I see, I don't even notice anything wrong with her, I know she has a stutter (But so does Tara from Buffy in S4, however that has to do with something else).

Overdose- Exactly, it's a job. It's called acting for a reason, you play as other people no matter what they have. I am sure if a person with problems (I don't like using the word disabled or handicapped really) and is an actor they would love to play a character who doesn't have the same thing.

As I said, I don't get the big deal. Erica Durance is 30 while she plays a 19 year old in Smallville, does that have to be a problem? (Alot of actors also play characters not near their age)

Soul- I see, I don't even notice anything wrong with her, I know she has a stutter (But so does Tara from Buffy in S4, however that has to do with something else)

All 5 of the original Glee Club members are a minority. Rachel is Jewish, Mercedes is African-American - on top of being overweight, Kurt is gay (Adorably so) Artie is a paraplegic, and Tina has social phobia. Kinda stereotypical, but I guess it works.

Last edited:

coston89

Lurker of Legend
Yes, they can act any part that they want. If seeing an actor play someone with downs syndrome and it offended you, don't watch it anymore.

Haruka

Banned
As an earlier poster said, as long as it's done well enough to where it's not mocking to the handicapped, it's perfectly fine.

I mean, what's the harm? I'd kill a person to get paid to stutter. Maybe two.