• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Encountering Problems

harryheart

So, my question is, what happens when you encounter a block in your writing? Not a writers block per se but an actual block that you must overcome. So for instance, a way in which you should write a scene, a certain character not being written how you would perceive etc.

I ask this now because for me, writing the opening to my newest chapter is becoming quite a difficult enterprise because I don't feel that it lives up to what readers may expect, what I may expect or how I've set it up. There are a number of different spins I could take on it, but I know that each would lead to a slightly different climax for the chapter and alter the characters in different ways.

So what's the best way in dealing with stumps like this? And how do you as writers like to do it? Do you like trying out multiple methods for overcoming things?

Dragonfree

Just me
I tend to just sleep on it, think about what it would be like if I did it one way, then another, and generally trying to see if inspiration for a good way to do it strikes. And if I seem really stuck, I find it often really helps to just start writing it - sometimes it becomes much clearer what the natural way for things to go would be when I'm actually writing out the scene.

I don't know if it works that way for everyone, but that's my two cents, anyway.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I take a while to think out my ideas. Sometimes I struggle to think of what should happen next, but after letting the idea cultivate in my head for a while, I usually have a good idea of what my next chapter will be about.

Great question and I can relate to you on this one. Many times when I'm writing a story, I know a BRILLIANT opening, a BRILLIANT ending and I am so excited to write the story then I get to the middle and I have no idea what to write. It's hard too because I love these characters and I want to explore them more but sometimes you don't want to let the characters or readers down so you try and start over or whatever. Really as a writer, it's your call what you want to do. It would be easier if we knew the specifics of what you were talking about. Perhaps maybe certain characters need more developing. Maybe just slow down the plot and give the characters enough time to breathe, to know each other, to interact. I think that will really help you in the stories you write. Then you can get onto the plot later. Not every moment needs to hardcore action or drama. Let's take a look at the Pokemon anime for example which has dozens and dozens of filler each season. But they use these fillers to perhaps see what the characters do on their time off or what they do in between. Maybe readers will be interested in that. Now, I don't know what story you are writing or talking about and I really hope I am answering your question. I know as a writer, you definitely want to keep your audience hooked and you don't want to lose your readers so you really need to plan this out. Maybe while you sleep, your mind can better process things. For some reason, when I relax on my bed, it's easier for thoughts to come to your head because you're not stressed, you're not busy. Maybe you can have some bizarre dream or nightmare and apply that to your story. Watch tv, read a book, take a walk and maybe you'll be able to come up with something. Maybe you can watch an episode of Pokemon and kinda borrow ideas from that episode. Maybe when you read a book, you can get a better idea of how writers handle things when the big moments are not happening. Or maybe you can see something when you walk and clear your mind and be able to come up with something. I mean take your time. The readers will probably want you to take your time and come up with something brilliant than to rush the whole thing. I hope I helped and good luck!

harryheart

Some really interesting ideas guys! I like what you lot have said and how you guys try certain things out and maybe go about it yourself or develop certain answers to the problems that you face.

Answering Pokemaniac24

Now, I don't know what story you are writing or talking about and I really hope I am answering your question.

You certainly did, you've added a different opinion to my question and added in a new take on things, and for me, it's sort of that I've left my previous chapter on a cliffhanger and I'm unsure of the best way to resolve it without it seeming anticlimatic. Each way for me brings something else out of the characters and shows a new side of them, but I guess as Dragonfree and Gelantino both said, thinking and mulling over things can always help put an idea into perspective and maybe just trying to bash something out will give me a working guideline.

Thanks for all the tips though everyone! Reall appreciate them all!