• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Encyclopaedic Pokemon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDL

disenchanted
where exactly should I send my entries? I'm seeing them all over the place, does this mean I could just post it in this thread is there a better place?

katiekitten

The Compromise
I'd love to submit an entry, although I am completely stumped with the Latin names... If someone could help me with that, I'd be happy to do the Larvitar/Puppitar/Tyranitar section. ^.^ I have always loved those pokemon...

sceptilianmaster

Unconstrained
Some notes before I post Sandslash.

Note to you: Thanks for the praise so far. Just note that I mention incidents from the anime only when they are relative.

Note to katiekitten: suggested name: Tyrannosaurus bangiras

sceptilianmaster

Unconstrained
Sandslash (Atherurus sandopan)
Height: 3”3’ Weight: 65 lbs

Sandslash is a moderately large, bipedal creature with tough, yellow skin, long razor-sharp claws and a back covered with many sharp and brown spikes. The spikes are hard and toughened sections of Sandslash’s hide which grow to form a natural self-defense. Each spike stays on Sandslash’s body for up to one year. After the one year, the spike drops off, only to be replaced by a fresh spike.

Sandslash are hardy creatures who live in desert areas, particularly areas close to dried up forests. It is most commonly seen either climbing up trees or digging into the dusty and dirty ground. It can do these mainly because of its sharp claws. Their claws, though strong, are not totally indestructible. The claws snap occasionally if Sandslash digs at a very fast rate. However, like its spines, the claws will grow back the next day.

Sandslash copes with its harsh and hot environment mainly by rolling up into a ball. The effect of this is to shade its inner body from the harsh sun with its spikes. This is to protect it from heatstroke that might come with the scorching sun that accompanies daytime in the desert.

Sandslash is a fully armed fighter when it comes to dealing with the other Pokémon that make up its environment. When attacked, Sandslash will roll up into a ball, its spikes making up its defense. Then, depending on the nature of the Sandslash, it will either roll away to escape or to roll towards the opponent to attack.

When escaping like this, Sandslash will usually exert some force on the sand to kick up a small Sand-Attack. This is to discourage its attacker from following it. When on the offense, Sandslash will try to make the foe flinch by jabbing it with its spines. If this is successful, Sandslash will immediately follow up by leaping towards the foe and start Slashing wildly and mercilessly with its claws.

A young Sandslash is known as a Sandshrew. Sandslash do not look after their offspring, often leaving the eggs to hatch by themselves in the warm sand. Sandshrew does not have Sandslash’s claws and spines. Instead, it has a tough hide covered in scales and clawed paws. Like Sandslash, its preferred habitat is the desert. The arid conditions of the desert are perfect for it to keep its hide dry, and the sand provides Sandshrew good camouflage as well.

Sandshrew emerges from its burrow only when hunting prey. It stays near the opening to its burrow, and if prey comes close enough, Sandshrew will pounce on it and carries it to its nest, where it eats. When under attack, Sandshrew’s main defense is to curl up into a ball, much like Sandslash, leaving only its tough skin exposed. This is known as a Defense Curl. When curled up like this, Sandshrew has the potential to withstand many attacks. Also, it can withstand being dropped from a great height.

Despite Sandshrew’s dislike for water, it still needs water to live. Its metabolism is configured such that it can absorb water with minimal waste, allowing Sandshrew to get by with small amounts of it. The typical Sandshrew can live up to a week without water.

Last edited:

you

Barbed
where exactly should I send my entries? I'm seeing them all over the place, does this mean I could just post it in this thread is there a better place?

just post them here and i will make a link to the entry from the contents on the first page...

I'd love to submit an entry, although I am completely stumped with the Latin names... If someone could help me with that, I'd be happy to do the Larvitar/Puppitar/Tyranitar section. ^.^ I have always loved those pokemon...

sure you can do Tyranitar, Sceptilianmasters is very good suggestion for a latin name. The genus Tyrannosaurus and Tyranitars name in japanese bangiras...

Sandslash's entry was great! I loved it! Keep writing!

katiekitten

The Compromise
Thanks Scep! =D

I'll get it done soon...

Moonlight Locust

Wait, am I back? Wow
Any suggestions for Wobbuffet and Dugtrio's latin names? Also I'll try my best to post one soon but I might not be able to this week. Stupid school....

you

Barbed
Any suggestions for Wobbuffet and Dugtrio's latin names? Also I'll try my best to post one soon but I might not be able to this week. Stupid school....

Well Dugtrio could be considered a kind of mole so perhaps the genus Talpa followed by Dugtrio in Japanese dagutorio...i find this is the easiest way to come up with latin names...as for Wobbuffet i really have no clue. Perhaps Wobbus fettium, which is completely made up if you didnt already guess!! Also there is no rush or time limit to get these done so dont worry about them too much.

P.S. You will command so much respect if you can write a realistic article about Wobbuffet as he has no basis in real life except perhaps a punching bag, its got to be damn hard! I dont know where i would start!

PDL

disenchanted

Dugtrio would be easy, just choose a mole genus.

As for pokemon like Wobbuffet, who aren't based on an animal or plant... You'll have to look up latin words and choose ones that describe the pokemon in question.

I remember a thread on the forum that had just that.

sceptilianmaster

Unconstrained
Sceptile (Rhacodactylus jukain)
Height: 5’07” Weight: 115.1 lbs

Sceptile is a human-sized, bipedal and cold-blooded reptilian creature. It is green in colour with a red stripe across its belly, large, sharp outgrowths on its arms, orb-shaped yellow seeds growing on its back and a huge tail that looks like a fern. The outgrowths on its arms are green and look like leaves. Therefore, the attack with which Sceptile slashes its foe with the outgrowths is termed a Leaf Blade. Leaf Blade has been called Sceptile's signature attack.

The seeds that grow on its back are bursting with nutrients. However, the nutrients are not for Sceptile's own use, but for the sake of revitalizing the trees that it plants. Apparently, Sceptile are convinced that they are the caretaker of their forest, so they carefully grow plants and trees with loving care. There have been reports of wild Sceptile attacking people who cut down their trees for wood and other purposes. As said before, Sceptile are cold-blooded. Therefore, they need to bask in the sunlight to regulate its body temperature to avoid getting too cold.

Sceptile's nickname is the King of The Jungle. It certainly lives up to it for its speed and power are unrivalled in the dense forest. They are extremely agile and dextrous in the jungle. Their preferred form of travelling long distances in the jungle is to leap on the branches from tree to tree.

If confronted by an enemy Pokemon, Sceptile uses its speed to jump around the tree branches and spring a surprise attack on its opponent from the top or behind, slashing the foe with the razor-sharp outgrowths on its arms. Trainer-owned Sceptiles, when battling in a forested area, will also try to use the terrain to its advantage.

A young Sceptile is called a Treecko. Sceptiles never take care of their young - they leave them alone with a pack of other Treeckos. The pack of Treeckos usually has a Grovyle to lead them. Once the Grovyle grows into a Sceptile, they leave the pack to another Grovyle.

All Treeckos have tiny hooks on their feet which allow them to scale walls with minimal effort. Treecko's main method of attack is to slam down hard on their foe with their tail. Some Treecko have been known to slam so hard that they can break even tough rocks. Apart from battling, its tail can also be used to predict the weather. Their tails can sense the humidity level, allowing them to forecast the next day's weather. Also, Treeckos are as calm as a cucumber. If a bigger Pokemon stares at it, Treecko will stare right back, without conceding an inch of ground.

When in the middle stage of development, Sceptiles are known as Grovyles. Grovyle look like Sceptiles, but with a pink underbelly broken by a strip of green near its waist. In this stage, Treecko resemble Sceptile more than ever. Leaves start to grow out of their lower arms, helping them to camouflage themselves among the leaves of trees. Also, a long leaf streams out of its head.

Grovyle uses the leaf on its head much like Treecko uses its tail in battle. It swings its head and delivers a powerful slam to its foe. When it grows into a Sceptile, the leaf shortens to become the stubby horns on Sceptile's head. Grovyle adeptly jumps from branch to branch in the forest, speedily and agilely. It is said that no Pokemon can ever hope to catch a fleeing Grovyle in the forest.

Last edited:

Pink Parka Girl

I wish I could change my username
Apologies for the delay (and making things out of order >.> ) - I was moving into my dorm room and didn't have much chance to get online :( Anyway, here's my part. The format is a bit different, since I see there being many differnet species of one type of pokemon (for example, there could be twenty different species of rattata), and I also wanted to divide the information into easy sections :) Also, if plusle/minun and the eevee family could be reserved for me (since I've already started writing them) I would appreciate it :)

The Eastern Tawny Pikachu (Sciurus amberic)
Length: Head and body, 16 in. Tail, 10-11 in.
Weight: 9-13 lbs.
Sexual Maturity: 6-8 months
No. of Young: 1-6, usually 2-5.
Habit: Dinurnal
Diet: Nuts, seeds, fruit, eggs, baby birds, occasionally baby mammals
Lifespan: 8-12 years in the wild, 17-20 years in captivity.

The Eastern tawny pikachu is probably one of the best-known wild mammals throughout Europe and Asia. Its long, sensitive ears are 4.5-5 in length. The hind legs are only slightly shorter, at 3.5-4 inches in length. These pokémon have prominent black fur plumes on their ears. The tail is plumed and bushy, with hairs that may reach to seven inches in length; when the animal sits the tail is held over the back in an upright position. The unusual shape is a result of sensitive bony growths extending from the vertebrae of the tail, an adaptation that better allows the pikachu to pick up air currents and vibrations. The hind legs are longer and more powerful than the forelegs. The fur is a tawny yellow-brown along the back and sides, with the base of the tail darkening to a rich brown. The animal’s ‘thumbs’ are the shortest ‘fingers’, the others are slightly longer, with high, sharp claws. The toes of the hind paws are all of the same length, the claws similar to those on the forepaws but non-retractable, and more powerful.

All electric types have "receptor organs" on their bodies - on sciurids such as the eastern tawny pikachu, it's the spots on their cheeks. These “spots” are not a marking in their fur - they're sensitive patches of skin filled with electroplaques, electricity generating cels that are stacked like a battery. When required, a pikachu generates acetylcholine, a chemical which "sends a message" to the electroplaques in its cheeks, which allow it to produce electricity. The power of the electricity all sciurids generate is of average voltage and low amperage; it is unlikely to kill but only stun. The Eastern tawny pikachu uses electricity to “greet” one another while in a herd by pressing their cheek close to the cheek of another, and also to hunt and defend itself.

The pichu is smaller – about a foot in length – and of a paler tawny color. Their ears, about five inches long, are wide and almost always held in a semi-upright position, at about a 45 degree angle to the back. A thick black ruff of fur circles the neck, and their tails, also black, are about four inches in length. Their habits are the same as the mature pikachu.

The Eastern tawny raichu does not exist as a wild species. Their habits in captivity will be discussed in brief at the end of this article.

Habits

The Eastern tawny pikachu is most commonly found in coniferous forests, but it also inhabits deciduous woodland and suburban development areas. They do not live too close to human dwellings, but will venture to them if birdfeeders, suet, or other food sources are nearby.

For most of the year, the pikachu lives alone, establishing and defending a territory surrounding its drey, or nest. The drey is spherical in shape and made of leaves and sticks tightly woven together, and is often situated in the higher branches of a tree, usually a conifer. The territory of each individual is roughly a quarter-mile square, but it could be larger if food in the area is scarce.

Food and Feeding

The belief that pikachu are vegetarians is a widespread, but totally incorrect, urban legend. All sciurids are omnivores, and the Eastern tawny pikachu is no exception to this rule. Along with the seeds (primarily from pine cones), nuts, mushrooms, and fruits that make up the bulk of their diet, pikachu will also eat eggs, baby birds, and even baby mammals (including its own relatives; plusle, minun and pachirisu are all part of its diet).

Excellent climbers, the pikachu spends much of its time in trees, but will travel to the ground to forage for nuts, seeds and mushrooms. Fruit and pinecones are eaten right off the tree branch, or stored for the winter, as pikachu do not hibernate. They often bury their food, and use their keen sense of smell to find these caches later on.

Breeding

Pikachu have two breeding seasons, one in late winter to early spring, and the other from mid to late summer. During this time, when the females are fertile, the pikachu of a general area will congregate into a mass group called a herd, where the males will compete for females. Eastern tawny pikachu neither mate for life nor form pair bonds; after mating, the male departs and the female is left to incubate the eggs and raise the young by herself. Five to seven days after mating, the female will lay one to six eggs. The eggs are about three inches in size, and a pale brown color, flecked with small pink, white and yellow spots. For about a month, the mother will incubate the eggs; and, after they hatch, will nurse the pichu for up to two months. The pichu are hatched with a full coat of fur and fully developed claws and teeth; however, they are blind and deaf, and cannot stand. At eight to ten weeks of age, the pichu leave the nest and find their own territories.

The Eastern Tawny Raichu

The Eastern tawny raichu only occurs when the pikachu is exposed to a thunderstone. Thunderstones are technically known in the scientific community as lodestones – when a mineral known as magnetite (Fe3O4) is struck by lightning to produce a unique crystalline structure and a magnetic pull. While magnetite is a common mineral, lodestones are incredibly rare, and the chances of a wild pikachu ever coming in contact with it to induce “evolution” is almost none. Thus, what we know of the eastern tawny raichu’s habits come from observing it in captivity.

Captive raichu do not climb often; their large size regulates them to a more ground-based existence than the wild arboreal pikachu and pichu. They will, when living outside, create nests on the ground similar to the pikachu’s drey, though usually made of grass. Their longer tails serve as grounds; to allow them to discharge extra electricity harmlessly, as they are more susceptible to excessive buildup than wild sciurids. Their habits are otherwise similar to the pikachu.

you

Barbed
As ive said before i absolutly love you article Pink Parka Girl! I cant wait for more!!

Sceptilianmaster your sceptile entry is great too!!

Moonlight Locust

Wait, am I back? Wow
Heh. If you read Wobb's dex entry then it'd be easier to do. I'm using those names so thanks.

HarleyScarow

Emerald Shinigami
May I use some of these for my fanfiction for the sake of some sweet filler? Obvious credit of course for the respective creator of the entry.

PDL

disenchanted
Even though Roselia has an evolved form, I did not include Rozureido since so little is actually known about it.

Southern (Queen) Roselia (Rosa Rozeila Southernus)
Height: 1'00'' ft Weight: 4'4 lbs.
Lifespan: 35-45 years (50-60 in captivity)

The roselia is a plant-like being that is related to roses and simlair plants. It is a dimuinitive pokemon, rarely reaching more then three feet in height. It's green-tinted skin is filled with chlorophyll, which it uses to syntheize sugars that it uses for metabolism, as a result, it is most mobile during the daytime, especially in sunny weather. It's most famous feature are the roses that grow from arm-like stems that originate from the body, what is unsual about them is that each rose is a different colour.

The roselia has domesicated and culivated by human beings since around 900 B.C.E, and as a result, several hundreds of different breeds have originated, each of the different breeds have their own special colouring and other characteristics. Unusually though, it is extremely rare to have a Roselia with two roses that are the same colour. Roselia breeders also hybridize Roselia to get more and more unusual Roselia cultivars. The rarest variety of Roselia are ones with purple and black roses, for unknown reasons, it's almost impossible to pass on the gene for a black rose in Roselia.

Roselia usually thrive in temparate climates, but it can survive in sub-tropical to tropical climates as well. They also thrive when they have a supply of nutritionally rich springwater, Roselia are communual pokemon and usually congregate around a spring, they often gaurd this spring from other pokemon.

While the roselia is a small pokemon, it must be treated with caution, as it's head has thorns on it, usually around three, but a many as up to seven have been recorded. These thorns contain an extremely toxic component that can quite harmful if it enters through the skin, but can be fatal if ingested. roselia have evolved this mechanism to survive in a world where they could become an easy meal for bigger pokemon, however, this isn't a strong enough deterent as Roselia have many natural predators.

The roses that roselia possess give of a strong fragrence that is often used in perfumes. This aroma attracts small insects to pollenate and help create seeds. The roselia has a nose that is very sensitive and they use it to determine the idenity and rank of other roselia. Oddly enough, a few captive born roselia have shown unusual interest in repulsive smelling things such as sweaty feet.

The roses that roselia has also help in balance. Roselias that have lost one or both of their rose arms have trouble keeping balance and often fall over. Roselia do not use their roses for holding things, instead, their root-feet have been adapted for this task, since roselia do not possess a skeletonal system, their legs are able to bend and contort in ways that are nearly impossible for human beings to preform. Much like other grass pokemon, they can take in nutrients both by their root feet and by mouth.

Around mid-october, roselia produce a small fruit called a "roselia hip" that's inedible to humans. This fruit contains a seed that is planted. Wild roselia plant these seeds in a secluded that's shaded from the elements. Over the winter, the seed remains dormant until around mid-April, where the seeds start to germinate. As the saplings emerge, They are suspectable to parasites, which tend to cause deformities. They are totally unconscious and remain this way until they are ready for "the blooming".

The blooming is a roselia festival that is held on one day a year, only the roselia know which day it is. All the roselia of the community gather in one spot, they paint themselves with crushed berries and their own pollen. They apply this paint onto their bodies by using their root-feet. It isn't exactly clear as to why roselia do this. They gather close to the spot where the saplings are and they waft a special aroma that's only released during the blooming. This aroma awakens the roselia saplings, they become conscious and their roses bloom as well. Blind and deaf, they make their way into the sunlight where their eyes and ears open and are usually accepted into roselia society. However, it isn't unusual for deformed roselia to be ganged up upon by older roselia and beaten until they are dead or left for dead.

Roselia, despite being so small and dainty, tend to have exuburent personalities and may bully other pokemon, Even ones that are several times bigger then they are. They are also very affectionate towards their owners. Sometimes even to the point of obsession.

Last edited:

you

Barbed
May I use some of these for my fanfiction for the sake of some sweet filler? Obvious credit of course for the respective creator of the entry.

of course you can use information from here, although i would still check with the actual author of the particular article out of curtesy. But i dont see why it would be a problem!

Great article PDL! I really loved it! Great job.

Ive been kinda busy myself recently but hopefully i will get round to finishing Blazikens article soon.

ash5550

Spartan G-26
Great idea. Um, how do I find out about the Latin names for the Pokemon? If I found out I would love to help out. If someone could help me with that, I would probobly do the Nincada line, if its needed.

Ash, out.

PS: I think for the stone evos the Pokemon begin to change form due to the radiation and minerals found inside the specifice stones.

Seijiro Mafuné

Diogomainardista!
Well, for now, just Cradily. Enjoy...

Cradily (Caridea iureidol)
Height: 4’11” Weight: 132.2 lbs

Cradily is a large crinoid, a species more known as the sea lily. It possesses a black face with yellow eyes, a green outer layer, and an array of eight pink tentacles growing from behind is helmet-shaped head. There are two yellow lines forming makeshift ‘eyes’ on its forehead, with one dot in the center, three lines wrapping around its neck, and a similar design as the first on its bottom, stretched all the way underneath it. Cradilies lack proper feet, having only stubs pointed to the sides. Instead, they have suction cups on their underside.

This Pokémon has been extinct for about 100 million years, probably having been common during the Cretaceous, with Pokémon such as Lileep and Armaldo. It is an aquatic creature that makes its nest in the shallows of the warm seas. For this reason, it can be seen during the low tide. In order to avoid being washed out, it uses its heavy body and suction cups to stay in place.

A carnivorous Pokémon, it heads deep into the ocean to hunt for sea life, using its body to stay on the seafloor and not float to the surface. Upon detecting prey, it extends its neck and tentacles to ensnare it, before using a powerful acid stored in its tentacles to figuratively melt the prey before feeding.

Before reaching its final growth, a Cradily is called a Lileep. During this stage, a Lileep looks like a bright purple flower with a black center, containing the same sort of eyes Cradily has. The markings around its body are still there, although the bottom lacks markings.

Due to its coloration, Lileep takes the appearance of harmless seaweed, and mostly does not change its location while in the wild, preferring to stay in one place as long as there is some sort of food around. If no prey is found, it goes off in a search.

Due to genetic mishaps, the gender unbalance ratio is of 1/8, being one female and seven males. A curious fact about it is that, despite being an aquatic Pokémon, its types are Rock and Grass, mostly due to its fossilization.

Status
Not open for further replies.