• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Encyclopaedic Pokemon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Wow, this thread is such an awesome idea. :) I've always wanted to write Pokemon essays!

Even though a lot of the facts are left open to speculation and theories, I'll definatley try to attempt some, and try to keep them general (as in, not mentioning some of my odder opinions.) For one thing, I've always thought of Pokemon as being longer lived than their animal counterparts, the minimum being 50 years for bugs and small mammals, and the maximum 150 years for dragons and other large reptitles.

No one's reserved Lugia, so I did him last night. I should also like to reserve Rayquaza.

Lugia (Halcyon ryujin)
Height: 17’01’’ Weight: 476 lbs.

Lugia is an immense mythic beast mentioned in a number of ancient writings from several different cultures. It is generally referred to as the “Guardian of the Waters” or the “Beast of the Sea”, both names being derived from its ability to control ocean waves and storms. Its forelimbs are wings, and despite its draconic appearance, Lugia is officially classified as a bird. Its long serpentine neck supports a sleek avian head with twin violet crests rising above each eye. The feathers at its wingtips are the most prominent, the rest being folded together much like the sleek, waterproof down that covers the rest of its body. Its thigh muscles are particularly well developed, and its hind legs are three-toed and almost mammalian in appearance. Completing the draconic form is a long reptilian tail tipped with violet spikes. Its coloring has been reported as silver, blue, violet, and even black, however, in clear sunlight, its feathers are a snowy-white shade with a light blue belly to blend with the sky and the water’s surface.

Lugia is amphibious, breathing air through its nostrils and taking in water through its mouth to pass through an internal gill system. Its body is capable of withstanding enormous amounts of pressure, allowing it to inhabit the deepest depths of the ocean. It possesses five pairs of backfins, which close tightly in the water and are raised to aid in aerial stability. Lugia is believed to be an omnivore, consuming both fish and undersea plants. Because it is warm-blooded, it has a high metabolism and would need to feed often. Unlike most endothermic marine creatures, Lugia lacks any sort of blubber, and can only inhabit warm sea regions.

Lugia is officially classified as a Legendary Pokémon both from its numerous mythological mentions, its incredible rarity, and its immense power. It was most notably revered by the ancient inhabitants of Ecruteak City, where the Brass Tower was built for it to roost. When the tower burned to the ground, Lugia was never again seen in the area. It is often spotted in the Whirl Islands of the Southwestern vicinity of Johto, however it is also mentioned in legend as having been the guardian of the Orange Islands. It shares a connection to Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres, just as Ho-oh is tied to Raikou, Entei, and Suicune. The two are also counterparts in that Lugia represents the sea and the moon, while Ho-oh is of the sky and the sun.

Lugia is a ruler of the sea, much like Kyogre and Manaphy, and its abilities include total control over sea currents, winds, and storms. It can quickly generate devastating maelstroms with its wings, but just as easily can clear the sky with the wave of a single feather. In addition, its highly developed brain allows it to focus its energy into psychic abilities

Lugia is most often seen at sea by vessels caught in the midst of a tempest. It is unknown as to whether Lugia actually creates these devastating storms, but there have been many accounts of it appearing only to calm the skies and vanish into the sea. Despite this seemingly benevolent nature, however, there have been records of entire citites destroyed by tidal waves and hurricane winds of Lugia’s creation.

It is unknown as to the exact means of Lugia’s reproduction, as the subject of whether Legendaries are unique or not is steeped in fierce controversy. Three theories exist: the first is that Legendaries are immortal, however, baby Lugia sightings have been reported from time to time (yet never officially confirmed.) The second is that several Lugia reside within the ocean’s trenches, and mate accordingly. The final is a proposal that when Legendary Pokémon die, their energy is focused into an egg, which hatches into another of their species. Young Lugia have only come up twice in history—two flurries of sightings approximately 496 years apart. If one of the latter two theories is true, then Lugia only mate when they are about to die, or are reborn at the end of their 500-year lifespan.

~Chibi~;249;;rukario;

Last edited:

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
That's really good info of Lugia from your view chibi pika, although... I think you were supposed to let You (the username of the guy who started this) which pokemon you wanted to reserve and wait till you got the job before you post your view of Lugia ^^; .

you

Barbed
That's really good info of Lugia from your view chibi pika, although... I think you were supposed to let You (the username of the guy who started this) which pokemon you wanted to reserve and wait till you got the job before you post your view of Lugia ^^; .

Its not THAT important you reserve the pokemon you are writing about. But it makes sense, because if someone else starts writing about the same pokemon and posts it before you then yours may not be the one thats put up as some people take longer to write articles than others due to whatever reason. However after a certain amount of pokemon have been written about i plan to re-open all pokemon so we can have multiple articles from different views (if this gets that far :D ) so its not a big thing.

what woul be the genus for alakazam?

Im not really sure on the Genus at all. Maybe simply clever in latin which is callidus. So Callidus Foodin. Just a suggestion as im not really sure.

Dark Amethyist your article on Articuno was very good! Mawiles up next right?

And Chibi Pika your article on Lugia was great. I like how you tackled the "legendaries being one-off" and breeding problems!

you

Barbed
I can put you down for Cydaquil and Mr. Mime. That ok?

kinglax

will give nethin 4it
Wow. That was amazing to mix encyclopedias and pokedexes. Very... wikipedia. I didn't read all of them. Did you include name origins? I skimmed

Alakazam (Callidus Foodin)
Height: 4’11’’ Weight: 106 lbs

Alakazam is a medium sized psychic pokemon that lives for 65 years on average. Alakazam are mainly human shaped but is quite a bit smaller than a human, there body is mainly gold but is coloured brown on the torso and forearms. They mainly eat fruits, nuts and berries but will occasionally hunt down another pokemon if they feel like it, if they do then they tend to eat Rattatas, Raticate or other rodents such as Pikachu.

it always has two spoons in its hands to greatly amplify its psychokinetic powers and they have large moustaches, the female moustache is a lot smaller.
The moustache is used for attracting a mate, while the Alakazam are showing for the females, rival Alakazam sometimes try to send a confuse ray and if the showing Alakazam gets confused then a rival will easily take over.
Alakazam mate once every five years but strangely they will not mate with an Alakazam if they have mated with it before.

The gestation period for the female Alakazam is usually around 6 months, they tend to only lay one egg which takes around 10 days to hatch. A baby Alakazam is called an Abra. Abra is also gold but with a brown torso and shoulders, it also has 1 brown ring around its tail. Abra sleep for18 hours a day but in fact what it is doing is conserving its psychokinetic powers and preparing for its evolution. As it is storing its psychokinetic powers it can’t do much apart from knowing when there are predators around and teleporting, which it does if attacked. Abra also teleport once every hour in its sleep and if Abra rapidly teleport they give the allusion that there is more than one of them.
When Abra is awake it still has its eyes closed, but can sense the area around it, but it may still need help from its mother and father to find fruits and berries

The parents leave the Abra when it evolves to a Kadabra. The newly evolved Kadabra soon hunts down a spoon to widen its psychokinetic powers and no longer needs to sleep as much as it did as an Abra.
Kadabra look more like an Alakazam than an Abra, though it has a tail, similar to Abra which Alakazam do not have, it also has one red star on its head and three red stripes on its abdomen. Its ears are smaller than Alakazam and though it has a moustache it is not as big as an Alakazam's, and is also droopier.
Kadabra eat nuts, fruits and berries and the odd Rattata. Kadabra evolve once they find another spoon as the sudden magnification of its psychokinetic powers cause the changes such as the tail dropping off.

;065;​

Last edited:

you

Barbed
Did you include name origins? I skimmed

latin names? Or pokemon names?

A great entry Tangelax! Definatly keep writing!

Seijiro Mafuné

Diogomainardista!
Okay, I'm gonna begin tackling Illumise and it's twin (ugh) soon, so... can you prepare the Kangaskhan and Vileplume(gah)/Bellossom to be taken later?

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
Mawile (Crocodylus kucheat)

Height: 2’0
Weight: 25.4 lbs

Mawiles are small creatures that appear around the deserts of Hoenn. Even though they are small, they are extremely dangerous because of it’s flexible horns that is shaped like a crocodile’s mouth that comes out from the back of it’s head. Mawile’s are small pokemon that are yellow coloured on the torso, chest, skirt skin curve, and the face. While the arms, forehead, and the legs underneath the SSC (skirt skin curve). It’s also black on the jaw shaped horns, but it has a big yellow dot on the upper half of the horn. Mawile’s are herbivores that only eat berries, it doesn’t matter what type they eat, their stomachs can digest any berries as if the stomachs were like metal crunchers. They don’t use the jaw horns for eating meat and berries, most of the time they use it to defend themselves from other pokemon or attack them with a nasty bite attack.

Mawiles have a life span of 50 to 89 years, mostly because their skin is made out of steel, and steel takes a long time to rot. Another fact is because a Mawile’s body is like a strong machine, it also takes a long time to die. They also got a strategy into attacking pokemon, first it will retrocede it’s jaws and make a docile looking face, lulling the enemy into a sense of sympathy, but in case that strategy doesn’t work, they always got a backup plan, they deceit the foe by pretending to weep. The backup plans always work, and the foe takes steps towards the devious Mawile, once they get close enough, the Mawile uses it’s jaws to trap their heads in the mouth, and throw the foe to a distant place. It’s believed that Mawile’s can throw things to places hundreds of feet away, depending on the weight. If the foe is light, it’ll fly a whole mile, if it’s heavy, it’ll only travel 200 to 350 feet.

It’s sometimes believed in order for a male to attract a female during mating season is to win in a battle against another male that wants to impress the female Mawile, females often fall in love with other pokemon that are not interested in the female, and often reject the male pokemon that are interested in her. Kind of odd isn’t it? Anyway, in a battle to win the female’s heart, the males only have to use their jaw horns to attack. Once a male taps his horns to the ground 5 times, it means the male has given up of trying to impress the female. The dominant male then takes the female to their homes where they mate and make eggs, ranging from 3-6 eggs. Usually the eggs take 3-6 years to hatch because Mawile’s have slow metabolisms while they are in the egg, so it takes them a while to hatch. Once they hatch, the mother takes care of the children while the father gathers lots of berries for the family.

Last edited:

Aquarinyoshi

Hope & Faith
This is my first time writing one and I got confused on some parts but I think I explained well enough. Give me harsh crits and comments. Note sure I have the genus right but I think I did. I am going to work on Mantine right now which will probably be alot better since I know more about. Enjoy!

Starmie(Asteroidea Starmie)

Height 3’07” Weight 176.4 lbs

Starmie are medium sized aquatic stars that live forever. Starmie represent over sized starfish that consist of two body parts of five purple-pointed, star-shaped structures. Star coming from its geometrical shape and mie because of its beauty and mysterious aurora. At a Starmie’s center, it holds a jewel/gem that is surrounded by a gold crest-like structure. A Starmie’s jewel/gem can change to any color of the color spectrum and is given the nickname, “The Gem of the Sea” for this ability. Another nickname includes, “The Sea Ruby” for its pinkish-red jewel/gem in the middle.

Shiny versions of Starmie are colored a dark azure blue to its hide and a slightly darker blue to its jewel/gem. Its crest is colored a dark pink.

Starmie usually live near beaches or reefs and move by using its back body part as a propeller and can move from up to 60-100 miles per hour in the water. They often feed on Shellder or absorbing the moons rays that give Starmie the ability to regenerate its energy like Lunatone do. This gives Starmie and Staryu the ability to live forever. Starmie attack by using the holes on their limbs and shooting out blast of water at a rapid rate and they have also been known to spin around at high speeds, slamming into the foe at a chance they get. Starmie are considered from outer space since scientists believe its jewel and organs are not of this Earth. Its core or jewel/gem is believed to give Starmie its Psychic powers and is very valuable to gem collectors. It’s also said that it is even given the power to send electromagnetic waves from its jewel/gem to outer space, signaling other Starmie and Staryu. In ancient times, Starmie were considered mystifying and beautiful for its aspects. It’s said they were created from the reflection of stars on the ocean. When a Starmie is weak, its jewel/gem starts to flicker from a bright red to a dark red and gives off a warning sound to show its condition. Instead of regular Pokemon speech by saying their names, Starmie seem to speak by saying, “Her!” and continuing the r for a couple of seconds longer.

Starmie reproduce by using the reflection of the stars and the ocean creating a Staryu. Staryu are a five-armed, tan colored Starfish with a red jewel/gem and yellow-colored crest around the middle like its evolution Starmie. Staryu have the ability to regenerate its limbs only if its core is still intact and is not damaged in any way. However, unlike starfish, they will not grow into multiple Staryu if severed. Staryu being more aggressive than Starmie, attack if being hurt the second they are attacked. Starmie however will try to swim away but will turn and fight if they have to. Staryu attack by using the holes on their limbs to shoot water out of at top speeds or by generating Psychic waves from their core. Staryu also have Psychic powers but is not considered Water/Psychic because of it just developing its powers from its core. At night, Staryu go to a beach and align close to shore, flickering their cores to the rate of a human heart beat. Staryu also being counted celestial for their jewel/gem being not of this earth. The jewel/gem is also considered one of the strongest substances on earth today close to diamonds. The only way to evolve a Staryu into a Starmie is to use the elemental stone of water, commonly known as the Water Stone. Both Staryu and Starmie also have another ability that most Water Pokemon do not. The ability to use electrical attacks. Their cores produce enough power to generate electrical currents through their bodies from the moon and waves of the ocean.

Starmie and Staryu are often peaceful creatures that treat swimmers or fisherman to an underwater dance of radiance and beauty with other Staryu or Starmie or different Water Pokemon like Horsea. If annoyed, they will either use their Water, Psychic, or even Eletric powers to defeat a foe easily.

Last edited:

Pink Parka Girl

I wish I could change my username
This is my first time writing one and I got confused on some parts but I think I explained well enough. Give me harsh crits and comments. Note sure I have the genus right but I think I did. I am going to work on Mantine right now which will probably be alot better since I know more about. Enjoy!

Don't normally comment on the articles, but since you asked for crits and comments, here goes :)

My harsh (hopefully not too harsh!) crit is as follows:

It clashes really badly with the other articles, mainly because you add way too many legends-presented-as-fact ala the pokedex (created when moonlight hit the waves? Reproduction by reflection?), something no scientist would ever do in a serious biological paper. The "immortal" thing and the bit about how they reproduce are...I'll be gentle...utterly silly in terms of the project trying to be a "scientific take" on things. They were things "locals" and "ancient peoples," to quote the pokedex, thought about starmie, and not educated scientists ;) Scientists also will not attempt to anthropomorphize their subjects; therefore, they wouldn't be discussing "pokemon speech" seriously, or referring to their cries as "saying their name;" instead reflecting that often the names given by humans to the creatures are merely onomatopoeia for the vocalizations they make.

Also, since you probably want to write from the perspective of someone in the pokemon world, a comparsion of starmie to "an oversized starfish" falls flat, as they wouldn't know what an ordinary starfish was, never mind what their average size is or that regenerating is a normal property of them.

In short, you rely on the pokedex as a prop far too much. While the bits that don't sound like obvious legend-recording can easily be worked in, it should have, in the article, been backed up with research on the behaviors of real starfish to add verisimilitude to the whole proceedings. For example, real starfish can engulf food with their own stomachs outside their bodies - would starmie be able to pull off a similar feat?

You should improve by the mantine article, however, and I look forward to it :) No one's perfect, and it was a nice first effort - so don't feel bad!

you

Barbed
Okay, I'm gonna begin tackling Illumise and it's twin (ugh) soon, so... can you prepare the Kangaskhan and Vileplume(gah)/Bellossom to be taken later?

Yes i can reserve one line now and the other when Volbeat/Illumise is done. Which one would you like reserved. Im guessing you dont like Vileplume! At least give it a brief mention.

Good job Dark Amethyst. Although personally i do not see Mawile living as long as 300 years. Well done to Aquarinyoshi as well. Although i have to agree with Pink Parka Girl. Some parts, in my opinion, are too Pekedexy and not particulary my style as it is not so scientific, some other authors entries are also like this. But looking forward to Mantine!

Also i would like a bit of help with my Blaziken article. Do you guys see Blaziken living in communities or flocks like chickens and thus being very social. Or do you see Blaziken as being a lonesome pokemon, meeting other Blaziken only to mate and thus being very anti-social? I would like your opinions as i cant really decide. Thanks.

Last edited:

sceptilianmaster

Unconstrained
I would think that, as a Torchic, they would more commonly be found in flocks. Being weaker, they would want flocks to protect themselves better. However, as they grow up, they become less social. Hope this helped. Seriously, its only my opinion, don't need to follow me. Just go with what you think it's best.

Seijiro Mafuné

Diogomainardista!
Hn... Mawiles don't seem like they're as 'machineish' as the other Steel-types. Maybe they just have a metallic skeleton (like Wolverine), with the horns being made of mostly that material? Also, I spotted a mistake...

Dark Amethyst said:
Once they hatch, the mother takes care of the children while the father gathers lots of babies for the family.
You mean the Mawiles eat BABIES?

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
Hn... Mawiles don't seem like they're as 'machineish' as the other Steel-types. Maybe they just have a metallic skeleton (like Wolverine), with the horns being made of mostly that material? Also, I spotted a mistake...

You mean the Mawiles eat BABIES?

Whoops, mispelled that X_X. I meant to spell berries. And I know they're not machinenish ^^;, it was just an expression

Aquarinyoshi

Hope & Faith
Thanks for the comments! I meant to put I was going to fix because I am like a perfectionist. I will probably fix Starmie before I make Mantine's. Also, do I do Tamanta too?

PDL

disenchanted
Also i would like a bit of help with my Blaziken article. Do you guys see Blaziken living in communities or flocks like chickens and thus being very social. Or do you see Blaziken as being a lonesome pokemon, meeting other Blaziken only to mate and thus being very anti-social? I would like your opinions as i cant really decide. Thanks.

perhaps it would work like this...

Chicks (torchics), younglings (combusken) and adult (Blazkien) females tend to gather in flocks, which are headed by a single male Blazkein, when male combusken become blazkien, they are driven out of the group and are lone wanderers, sometimes forming a bachlor group... female blazkien may leave the group as well and start new flocks with these bachlors.

EDIT: Also, for pokemon without real-world counterparts, it's probably best to invent a genus instead of using a real animal genus (like using the crocodile genus for Mawile when it's only remotely based on a crocodile)

I found a convienant english to latin dictionary

http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl

all you need to do it type an english word and get the latin word that would best fit... a genus name would be a combination of two latin words.

for example... Mawile basically has a trap(tendicula) for a mouth(hisco), so "Trap-mouth" becomes tendiculahisco thus, Mawile's latin name would become Tendiculahisco Kucheat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.