• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

End of Toonami

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
i love toonami , why would they take it off?

They decided to take it off life support, instead of having it suffer for a few more years.

Rave

Banned
This is sad news to hear. Thankfully, some of the tapes my parents used to record Toonami for me while I was at soccer practice back in the early days are still in my collection. A lot of them have Moltar as the host and some of the others have TOM 1.

I used to do this sort of practice years back. I dunno whether or not I have anymore VHS tapes that hold these anymore.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
Toonami was going down before Naruto even started airing on Toonami...At first it was everyday just about.......Then after they cancelled DBZ it started showing only on Saturdays......In other words, it started going down the drain after they cancelled DBZ.

They never canceled DBZ, genius. The series ended, and they even showed GT all the way through afterward. Also after the move to Saturdays you still had good shows around like IGPX, Justice League Unlimited, Megas XLR, and recently One Piece. After Naruto was added the amount of generic shounen wank fests thrown into the line up became ridiculous.

Last edited:

Rave

Banned
They never canceled DBZ, genius. The series ended, and they even showed GT all the way through afterward. Also after the move to Saturdays you still had good shows around like IGPX, Justice League Unlimited, Megas XLR, and recently One Piece. After Naruto was added the amount of generic shounen wank fests thrown into the line up became ridiculous.

The Toonami block later on became "Naruto & friends" featuring an hour long block dedicated to ninja nonsense, followed by a 30 minute advertisement of kids throwing rocks and the other being... well... I don't remember.

Ralts Master

Knight of White Eye
In my opinion it will, since Toonami started circling the drain as soon as Naruto was added to its line up dragging the rest of the block down with it, pushing the old fans away in the process.
iirc, Toonami's downward spiral started when they moved to Saturdays (which probably doomed Gundam SEED in the process), and that was before they got Naruto...

I used to do this sort of practice years back. I dunno whether or not I have anymore VHS tapes that hold these anymore.
I've got a hell of a lot on tape (all the Tenchi series and I believe the entirety of Outlaw Star as well.)

Gentleman Skeleton

I've got a hell of a lot on tape (all the Tenchi series and I believe the entirety of Outlaw Star as well.)

I have a vast majority of the Tenshi Muyo series, all of the YuYu Hakusho that aired on Toonami, more Dragonball Z than I can count, I even took the tapes of Sailor Moon recorded for my sister. It's all in a massive storage bin and is as of now unsorted, so I know I have much more than I described. Of course, for some reason, all the comercials remain intact since my parents recorded on a timer, so those are rather fun to watch.

HoennMaster

I don't, and I wish I did because I loved those events the had like when the first Tom was "killed". Although I was little so I thought it was the best thing ever and I didn't even think to ask for it to be recorded for me.

buttbug

Zephyr Trainer
Wow Toonami is gone now...

Be glad you had it all this time, in Holland, Toonami has been gone for like 5 years now. :p

Well, it was nice to see stuff like DBZ before the stupid censorship ^^

But I can't see the big problem here... I'm surviving the trash like Totally Spies, Team Galaxy and other wannabe-anime's pretty well... And it's not like you can't see the shows anymore... Buy them over the internets, if you're lucky you'll get the original version, and not the dub, too.

Or just download if you're willing to accept the often bad quality ^^

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
Was it that hard for CN to acquire some decent programming for Toonami? The lineup was trash. Naruto fillers and Samurai Jack reruns? WTF, it deserved to die.

Even a channel that nobody watches like SciFi can get decent anime from time to time, such as Gurren Lagann and Gundam 00.

I don't know if the CN owners were being lazy or if they're going bankrupt, but decent programming = higher ratings. Confused this one is.

Profesco

gone gently
In my opinion it will, since Toonami started circling the drain as soon as Naruto was added to its line up dragging the rest of the block down with it, pushing the old fans away in the process.

That's because the old fans you're talking about don't like Naruto as much as the newer wave of fans do, right? *scratches chin thoughtfully* Considering Naruto's huge popularity in the US, it can't be said that Naruto itself was a poor choice of programming aquired; just not comparable to the older types of animes that used to show, I guess. It must be the fault of a new generation of US anime-watchers.

Granted, calling any of those shows good or bad is subjective...

And what 'generic shounen wank fests' are you thinking of? Wasn't most of Toonami's recent schedule dedicated to Naruto, and then Ben 10, DBZ GT, and others? Not much as shounen-y as Naruto, I'm guessing. Meh, I'm far from being an expert, though. ^_^;

The Toonami block later on became "Naruto & friends" featuring an hour long block dedicated to ninja nonsense, followed by a 30 minute advertisement of kids throwing rocks and the other being... well... I don't remember.

I had a question for this, too... but I forgot it. Uhh, what's the thing about kids throwing rocks? o_o

Gentleman Skeleton

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
That's because the old fans you're talking about don't like Naruto as much as the newer wave of fans do, right? *scratches chin thoughtfully* Considering Naruto's huge popularity in the US, it can't be said that Naruto itself was a poor choice of programming aquired; just not comparable to the older types of animes that used to show, I guess. It must be the fault of a new generation of US anime-watchers.
Obviously. Those young whippersnappers with their bad taste.

Granted, calling any of those shows good or bad is subjective...
LOGIC, MY ARCHNEMESIS. We meet again...

And what 'generic shounen wank fests' are you thinking of? Wasn't most of Toonami's recent schedule dedicated to Naruto, and then Ben 10, DBZ GT, and others? Not much as shounen-y as Naruto, I'm guessing. Meh, I'm far from being an expert, though. ^_^;
The main problem is that the tone and quality of Toonami's shows seemed to change, going from things like Outlaw Star, Big O, Justice League Unlimited, or Astro Boy before to things like Naruto and Ben 10. It was toned down massively.

Shiny_Gible

Darth Giblius
Toonami.....
Well, it was good in the beginning, but those Naruto fillers were just getting on my nerves. it still makes me kinda sad to see it leave though....

Shiny_Gible

Darth Giblius
Toonami.....
Well, it was good in the beginning, but those Naruto fillers were just getting on my nerves. it still makes me kinda sad to see it leave though....

Cobalt_Latios

I'm going to be killed now >.>.
Not true, you're currently in the process of being killed.

They decided to take it off life support, instead of having it suffer for a few more years.
I wish they'd do the same with the Zone.

To me the latest incarnation with Tom 4 is what did it in.
Same could be said with the Canadian equivalent: YTV (actually, it's more like Teletoon, but there's no host or anything, so I'm not comparing it). As if only having two shows air for an hour each wasn't bad enough, the hosts don't exactly make things better. In fact, the host they had for the Saturday block was bit... goofy, but at least it fit in with the kids aspect of that block. And now that he's gone... well lets just say that YTV is beginning to lose what dignity it has left.

I would strongly consider putting those onto either DVD or file format. That way, they'll last a whole lot longer.

It's Bakugan. Read this thread and you'll understand everything:
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=350896
Hell, I'll explain. Imagine if you will a cross between Beyblade (the marbles), Yu-Gi-Oh (the cards), and Digimon (each character having their own "monster"), and that should about sum it. I tried watching it, but the lack of understanding how the game worked kind of threw me off. And if that didn't work, the plotline went from easy to handle, to typical anime format. That wrecked it and I've stopped watching it. New episodes are appearing here in Canada, but I don't care.

I had a question for this, too... but I forgot it. Uhh, what's the thing about kids throwing rocks? o_o
They're marbles dammit! Trust me, those "things" are tiny. You really don't want to watch it. The only reason why I did watch it was to understand the basics, and later on because my sister involuntarily dragged me into a few later episodes. Thank the lord there were some better shows on before it...

Oh, and Bakugan was on Teletoon, not YTV. Even then, the programming for Teletoon now vastly resembles CN, even though YTV has more similarities. Yeah, confusing.

I'll just leave now...

~C_L~

TheRippedDeck

Poketarians eat.....
Oh dear.

When I was 7 or 8, there was the MIDNIGHT RUN. I tried sneaking up at night to watch the Midnight Run. Very nostalgic. The programming block then was a mix of Rurouni Kenshin, Dragon Ball Z!, Gundam, Voltron...... , Yu Yu Hakusho! and the others that I did not like but I will mention in parenthesis (Justice League, Megas XLR, IGPX, Justice League....... , Samurai Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and Miyazaki movies.) And of course Adult Swim... COWBOY BEBOP!, Inuyasha... perhaps not the right time.

Toonami is legendary for marking the explosion of dubbed anime along with Adult Swim. But according to many of you and myself, it does not deserve to reflect the old Toonami and/or is not making enough money.

I did not know the last "Bang" was from Cowboy Bebop, much less Spike's voice actor. Now as I write this post I am in tears. We all must move on, however, and Adult Swim will take the dub mantle. So long and thanks for the show, Toonami.