• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

English Name Discussion Thread

Gravy

Contaminated KFC

Milkshake

Banned
They have hundreds of names, why use one so similar to jynx?

Aren't you the guy that was defending the names Slaking and Slowking when people were saying they are too alike?

Last edited:

Nintendo_6444

Tails the Bouyzel
Piplup is confirmed now?! Tell me thgis is just a horrible dream..... If Gabaito gets a name this bad.... I don't know what i'll do....

Sadly, i'll eventually get used to it... I mean, What does Piplup Mean anyway?! HOW IS IT RELATED TO A PENGUIN???!!! >=|

~~;444;

pokenoob

pokenoob

Piplup is confirmed now?! Tell me thgis is just a horrible dream..... If Gabaito gets a name this bad.... I don't know what i'll do....

Sadly, i'll eventually get used to it... I mean, What does Piplup Mean anyway?! HOW IS IT RELATED TO A PENGUIN???!!! >=|

~~;444;

ahem... its called reading the whole thread we've only explained it like 100 times already

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
Piplup- the character Pip from Charles Dickens's Great Expectations (stuck up spoiled child) and plop, the sound when something hits water..

Geez people chill out about it...you'll winge now but you will soon get used to it.

I'm going to nickname all my fully-evolved(and some useful pre-evos, like Porygon2) pokémons, so I don't care so much about the US names. Am I bad?

You will nickname them.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Well, yes if it has a collar^^
A lot of pokémon have tufts of fur of hardened bands around their neck, but considering they're very minor aspects of the design, it's pointless to mention them. That's like saying we should name Roserade 'Collade' because it's got a collar. If you're going to name the creature, you should at least take it's characteristics and species into account.

And where does 'link' come in?

I don't remember. Slaking and Slowking sound different, Shinx and Jynx don't.
The only difference between Slaking and Slowking are the 'la' and 'lo' syllables. Only the phonetically challenged would have problems with realising how similar they sound.

Maestro Kinético

A lot of pokémon have tufts of fur of hardened bands around their neck, but considering they're very minor aspects of the design, it's pointless to mention them. That's like saying we should name Roserade 'Collade' because it's got a collar. If you're going to name the creature, you should at least take it's characteristics and species into account.

And where does 'link' come in?

Link is link, lol. Why can't it be named Colink for the collar? Roserade has been named for the Mask.

Link is link, lol. Why can't it be named Colink for the collar? Roserade has been named for the Mask.

Roserade = Rose + Masquerade.
Colink = Collar + Link.

BUT WHAT THE HECK DOES "LINK" MEAN? [/caps]

TeddiUrsa

Gravy's point it that Shinx main feature isn't its collar.
Shinx is based on a Lynx, so its basis, its main feature should be part of its name ( it is a pokemon after all)

Roserade is ROSEerade because it is based on a rose.
It is like saying "Roserade" should be "Caperade" because it has a cape.

Edit: mh..."shluchs" or "shochs" would be a nice german name...can't wait for those...

Last edited:

Maestro Kinético

Gravy´s point it that Shinx main feature isn´t its collar.
Shinx is based on a Lynx, so its basis, its main feature should be part of its name ( it is a pokemon after all)

Roserade is ROSEerade because it is based on a rose.
It is like saying "Roserade" should be "Caperade" because it has a cape.

It shouldn't, but it could be. Roserade is much better, like Colink is much better. Shinx is just horrible and copies Jynx to death. Scyther has scythes and it's named Scyther, no problem there, see?

Selinx

TeddiUrsa

It shouldn't, but it could be. Roserade is much better, like Colink is much better. Shinx is just horrible and copies Jynx to death. Scyther has scythes and it's named Scyther, no problem there, see?

Selinx

Well, Scyther's scythes are its main feature, together with it being fast and vicious.

please show me ANY source that states that Shinx has a special collar.

this is really searching for empty reasons just to keep the jap. names...
Was Jynx a Spinx rip-off in the RGB days?

Alakazam should be Moustapsy...oh my god..that´s awesome ^^