• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Engrish

TeamRocketGrunt

WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo
Have you ever encountered Engrish in an anime?
"
A form of English characterized by bad translation from Japanese by someone who is decent at translating vocabulary but has a poor grasp of English grammar. Tends to be a word-by-word literal translation with humorous results for native English speakers. Engrish is most common in old video games and anime subtitles.

The term "Engrish" comes from the fact that the Japanese language does not have distinct L and R sounds. They do have a consonant that is roughly somewhere in between these two sounds, but whether this translates to L or R in English depends on the situation (and therefore can be interpreted wrong.)"-Urban Dictionary

I have very terrible examples, but they're examples either way.
This song doesn't make any sense, at least not to me
This, if you ignore the fanmade subs for the bad Engrish.
I don't know what this is from, I saw it on Engrish.com. Talk about irony
english-mastar.jpg
If anyone knows where it is from tell me.

Discuss!

SirRob

Not a pervert
Sonic X is full of Engrish. There's a video on YouTube that compiles all of the Engrish he says, it's pretty intense...

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Hetalia's dub comes Some interviews with the heads of Nintendo come to mind...

Last edited:

VS

they/she
I think they Engrish'd a few times in the old Kirby anime and the Pokemon anime.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
This is in Japanese, though... the only English bit is the "Three, two, one, fire!" which is perfectly understandable.

If you want an Engrish anime song, listen to this.
There was the scene where the Gundam-esque suit was controlling Natsumi. Giroro speaking that phrase in English...

XD

Funimation did well with the dub of that scene though, "...and you have to say it with a Japanese accent."

http://i50.*******.com/avhh8y.png
I don't get it.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Must've been a while since you watched the dub. You be preased by what heard by you.
I've been watching it recently actually. This isn't World Series though, is it? Just tell the meaning in spoiler tags!

TeamRocketGrunt

WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo
I've been watching it recently actually. This isn't World Series though, is it? Just tell the meaning in spoiler tags!

It's Axis Powers episode 4! O__O
He's in an open bath house with Italy and Italy brings up Japan's "thing" (You know what) and Japan says this in response.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
It's Axis Powers episode 4! O__O
He's in an open bath house with Italy and Italy brings up Japan's "thing" (You know what) and Japan says this in response.
Oh yeah...It's been a while since I've watched the original series and I honestly didn't find that scene too memorable. Off topic, why does that quote remind me of Pokemon?