• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Enter Elesa, Electrifying Gym Leader! (710

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
At least Bianca's dad was pretty awesome and his Darmanitan showed that type advantages don't rule the anime in regards to one-shot characters.
But seriously, where's Luke? Him and Bianca were shown leaving together by the end of the Don Battle arc, so I'm wondering if she made a mention of his whereabouts.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Well this episode was a piss off. Things done wrong:

- Bianca loses to Elesa
- Elesa has an uber Zebstrika
- Bianca's fate is in Ash's hands
- Ash loses

Ridiculous.

Don't forget the ridiculous amount of fanboy status from cilan!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm so upset that Oshawott lost against Darmanitan. He should've won that battle easily, but he lost even though he had the advantage. And I don't care that type advantages don't always work in favor of certain Pokemon: Oshawott has proven in the past that he's a good battler, and he should've won. I'm just so depressed, but at least there's a silver lining here. The way I see it, Oshawott's loss will make certain people realize that he's not ready to evolve yet. Oshawott's obviously powerful, but he isn't at "that level" yet. Anyway, I disliked Elesa and Bianca's battle, and I really didn't enjoy this episode as much as I thought I would.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
I also shared Kira's disappointment in Mijumaru's loss.

However, as to be expected, Mijumaru lacks the raw power to overpower a seasoned powerhouse like Hihidaruma.

I hope Mijumaru's loss here leads to more, which leads to a moment of determination where he evolves.

I felt like Bel vs. Kamitsure could have been a little more developed but then again, they wanted to make a point of Bel's needs to train more and to establish Zeburaika is not a pushover.

matt0044

I liked this episode but there were a few things that held it back. Bianca getting curbstomped so easily was disappointing since she got three badges before (most likely with a lot of work) but it's not too bad and it probably helps build her character more. I do wish that she was able to hold her own better against Elesa but the writers probably had relatively little time to work with. Stupid time constraints...

Oshawott losing was disappointing too but not that bad. I do wish that Ash and Bianca's dad's battle ended in a draw so that Bianca's dad would have better reason to call off the bet and let Ash and Bianca continue their journey. It's ignorable but it could've been better.

Also, I think that some on this thread are taking things the wrong way. Pokemon may be a kids show but does it have to teach life lessons and such? The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy was for kids but it's anything but educational unless you want to be educated on how life would be with the Grim Reaper and how to be incredibly stupid. Though I do see their point in a way since Pokemon sometimes tries to convey messages of some sorts.

Honestly, this episode was good but should've focused on Bianca trying to win her Gym battle (or drawing with Elesa at least) and then proving to her father that she's Trainer material. The battle between her father and Ash could've been excluded or just improved, if you ask me. So this episode wasn't god awful, just good but lacking.

You know, the writers for Pokemon have always been hit or miss so really why are we expecting so much from them?

Last edited:

DragonTrainerBigRed

<No wall can stop me
I thought it was pretty obvious that Bianca's Shelmet and Minccino would lose to Elesa's Zebstrika, but Pignite certainly put up a great effort against Zebstrika and seemingly had a good chance of beating it.

As for the gym itself, I like how they put a roller coaster ride in it, just like in the video games.

Considering the huge bet that Ash made with Bianca's father after Bianca lost her gym battle, as well as Oshawott's type advantage over Darmanitan, I really thought that Ash would win his battle. Even a draw would have been alright with me, but Oshawott's defeat was disappointing. Of course, I'm sure this result will encourage Oshawott to train harder and eventually evolve.

matt0044

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
So Bianca lost 3-0 to Elesa, huh? And Ash lost to Darmanitan? Wow.

Dax

Legend
The only thing I liked about this episode was Elesa, other than that there was nothing interesting.

Darmanitan being shown as a powerful pokemon was something that I wanted to see. Zen Mode should have been showcased better. I honestly didn't understand the purpose of showing it if they weren't going to do anything with it. When it comes to the outcome of the battle, I'm not annoyed by Oshawott's loss mostly because the whole "I'm going to get out of my pokeball and obligate my trainer to use me" annoys me.

uber gon

Accept Change
I knew Elesa would have her image in magazines.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
I'm so upset that Oshawott lost against Darmanitan. He should've won that battle easily, but he lost even though he had the advantage. And I don't care that type advantages don't always work in favor of certain Pokemon: Oshawott has proven in the past that he's a good battler, and he should've won. I'm just so depressed, but at least there's a silver lining here. The way I see it, Oshawott's loss will make certain people realize that he's not ready to evolve yet. Oshawott's obviously powerful, but he isn't at "that level" yet. Anyway, I disliked Elesa and Bianca's battle, and I really didn't enjoy this episode as much as I thought I would.

Even weak Pokemon evolve. Look at Pokemon like Gligar, it wasn't that strong, but it evolved and became stronger.

However, as to be expected, Mijumaru lacks the raw power to overpower a seasoned powerhouse like Hihidaruma.

Darmanitan isn't that much of a powerhouse. Oshawott does not lack the power to beat it, they just wanted Oshawott to lose so that they can pull off the "We lost the battles, but we'll convince you in a couple of minutes through words, making the battles pointless."

The only thing I liked about this episode was Elesa, other than that there was nothing interesting.

Darmanitan being shown as a powerful pokemon was something that I wanted to see. Zen Mode should have been showcased better. I honestly didn't understand the purpose of showing it if they weren't going to do anything with it. When it comes to the outcome of the battle, I'm not annoyed by Oshawott's loss mostly because the whole "I'm going to get out of my pokeball and obligate my trainer to use me" annoys me.

Again, Darmanitan isn't that strong and that's Oshawott's personality, so let it be. I'm sure he'll mature out of it at some point, especially if he evolves. And at least Oshawott shows initiative in battling showing that he wants to battle. The others are just in their pokeballs waiting for Ash to choose one of them and Ash probably would have choses Oshawott anyway, considering...

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
The problem with this episode is that it sent just the wrong kind of message - you can't do anything you want if you try hard enough, and people who tell you to give up are right. Portraying Bianca's father as the correct one here sent a message that was completely the opposite of the entire point of this series.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Did anybody notice Bianca's fourth pokeball at the pokemon center?? I guess that confirms that she is holding out on us. Also I got the feeling that Shelmet is a relatively new capture.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Oshawott battled great but Darmanitan was vastly experienced I think because it had Flare Blitz. but the battle between Ash and Elesa is bound to be promising...

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Did anybody notice Bianca's fourth pokeball at the pokemon center?? I guess that confirms that she is holding out on us. Also I got the feeling that Shelmet is a relatively new capture.

I noticed that too.. but then later on at the table she was only holding three again, so i'm not sure what's going on..

Man I still can't help being annoyed about the battle between Ash and Bianca's dad.. I'm not a fan of Oshawott as many of you know, but even I hate that it got screwed over so badly by that Darmanitan. I mean, the freaking ape was already at low health upon leaving it's Pokeball, so how did it suddenly pull that power out of its ass?

..and Ash you lost, get back to Pallet!

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Low health because it was in Zen mode? lol he activated normal mode right away, I doubt it was at low health it was an anime thing, just like Grei suggested months ago that a Darmanitan in the anime could come off in that mode right away...

When they are weak, they change for that mode and stay in that mode.

I just though it was stupid to make it Zen Mode and then only have fire attacks.

Calling it now Belle father is actually a new Frontier Brain that will appear in the 3rd game and Gamefreak told the writers already(jkg).

What was the 1st attack Shelmet used, does anybody know?.

if you are referring to the purple liquid attack, thats acid.

Did anybody notice Bianca's fourth pokeball at the pokemon center??

i guess that's elesa pokemon. i think i heard something about zeburaika when she leave the gym. maybe the reason for her to leave the gym is to heal her pokemon at the pokemon center.

Dax

Legend
Again, Darmanitan isn't that strong and that's Oshawott's personality, so let it be. I'm sure he'll mature out of it at some point, especially if he evolves. And at least Oshawott shows initiative in battling showing that he wants to battle. The others are just in their pokeballs waiting for Ash to choose one of them and Ash probably would have choses Oshawott anyway, considering...

It's not about letting it be. If an aspect of a character's personality annoys me I'm allowed to express it. This isn't a "Let's love Oshawott forum" I believe.

takbir10

Banned
elesa

elesa seems to be awesome

Darmanitan isn't that much of a powerhouse..................

........Again, Darmanitan isn't that strong.........

What makes you say that?