• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Enter Elesa, Electrifying Gym Leader! (710

SpoinkyPearl

I haven't watched Pokémon in MANY years before seeing this episode on weekend (these are new episodes here in Finland - everything comes here so slowly). Seriously, last episodes I've seen are some episodes from Hoenn season I followed up to a point when Ash challenged Wattson and were shown here 2005. But last weekend I woke up early and had nothing to do so I decided to watch Pokémon for pure nostalgia.

It was interesting to see that series haven't really changed. Ash is still the same somewhat hot-head who follows his heart more than his mind. Animation style looks good and the characters from the games were modelled nicely. In Finland they used to translate every attack but nowadays they are in English, what a relief! I was quite surprised to see that Bianca is included in the anime but I liked that and Bianca was just like in the game. His father was also more...interesting that he had been in the game :D I just wished Bianca would have succeeded better in her battle. I also liked how Ash stood up to defend Bianca's decision. Did I see some AshxBianca there? ;)

I also watched the next episode in which Ash challenged Elesa. I don't think I'll continue to follow the series but who knows :D It was fun to see that the series is still pretty much the same and the feeling of nostalgia, oh!

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Definitely feel like Bianca's dad coming and asking her to go home was kind of unexpected, due to the lack of buildup. A small line here and there from Bianca about her dad in previous episodes could have made it a bit more realistic. Still, it was very heartwarming when Ash, Iris and Cilan stood up for Bianca and talked about all the good times they've had together - once again showing how this series has developed the other rivals and friends really well. Looking forward to Ash's gym battle!

When Oshawott fainted, I couldn't help but say "Well Ash, get walking!"
I kid you not! :)

Also, I love the in-the-anime... uh, how should I say, depiction of Flame Charge.

The conflict in this episode had no buildup whatsoever which made the random appearance of Bianca's father strange.

The episode as a whole wasn't written very well, since Bianca's father wanted her to come home out of concern for her safety, but gave in because of a friendship spiel - which had nothing to do with Bianca's safety. It really made no sense.

JudySpell

Banned
Elesa looked adorable but Bianca's side plot seemed tacked on and pointless especially when Ash lost against her dad. How embarrassing. 6/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked how Elesa was shown modeling, plus it was cool when Ash's group and Bianca were on the roller coaster ha ha. Elesa's Zebstrika sweeping Bianca's team was sad and Bianca's father seemed so selfish.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It was nice to see Kamitsure and the Raimon Gym take center stage now that the Rocket-dan's plot was over with. The fact that Bel returned made me happy, mostly because seeing her sad due to her father was more interesting than seeing her acting vacuous. Too bad Satoshi's Mijumaru lost to Hihidaruma.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
So Oshawott lost against Darmanitan. He should've won that battle easily, but he lost even though he had the advantage. I was also disappointed that it was Ash doing all the fighting for Bianca while Elesa sat on her ***. :x

Alloutℯ

Banned
I don't remember Elesa's personality in the games, but she wasn't interesting to me in the anime. Her game design made me think she'd be a more rebellious type, or apathetic/annoyed about things.

This was a poorly written episode. So Bianca's overprotective father shows up to take Bianca home because he feels she would be unsafe as a trainer. That could have made for a good episode, but the correct way for this to be resolved is for Bianca herself to prove that she's taking her job seriously and will be fine. Instead all of her Pokemon get massacred by Elesa's Zebstrika without it even fainting, proving Bianca's father correct, and proving that her Pokemon party wouldn't be strong enough to have her back if she were to get into danger. Then we get the hero Ash jumping in to save her skin by battling her father, and on top of that, he even fails. Then basically everyone pleads with the father and babbles about friendship and he gives in.

The father was also pretty annoying, asking Ash to go back to Pallet Town if he loses.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Too bad Satoshi's Mijumaru lost to Hihidaruma.

Yea that part was disappointing cuz Oshawott had a type advantage. Mostly I was impressed that Bianca's dad was so strong tho since he wasn't an active trainer. And now I wonder if Ash was really going to keep the promise that he made to him. ^^;

Leonhart

Imagineer
Yea that part was disappointing cuz Oshawott had a type advantage. Mostly I was impressed that Bianca's dad was so strong tho since he wasn't an active trainer. And now I wonder if Ash was really going to keep the promise that he made to him. ^^;

There seemed to be a recurring gag during the Best Wishes saga involving Mijumaru's bad luck when fighting against Fire-types in general. I didn't find it funny because out of Satoshi's whole Isshu team, I felt that Mijumaru was in need of more wins. And I think Bel's father was actually a retired trainer.

The concept of making an appointment with a Gym Leader was kind of weird, but I just went with it. I kind of wish that Elsea had a more energetic response to seeing Pikachu or at least trying to hold it. It was pretty obvious that Bianca was going to lose. Not only because of how she's a comic relief character, but they wouldn't have a Gym Leader lose before Ash battled them.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
The concept of making an appointment with a Gym Leader was kind of weird, but I just went with it.

I thought it was creative and realistic actually, because Gym Leaders have lives of their own and can't always be expected to accept Gym matches at any random time.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I don't say this very often, actually I can't think of a time I said something like this, in regards to the anime. But this is one of the very few times I would've preferred a peaceful solution to a problem in the Pokemon anime.

I understand that Bianca's dad is overprotective but the painful lack of support that smile when she lost caused my opinion of him to drop like a rock. I understand wanting to protect your kids but her dad just rubbed me the wrong way.

I previously talked about the at the time upcoming Elesa gym battle with Ash so I won't go there.

Ash's Oshawott losing to Darmanitan, and only then does Bianca's dad relent. I don't like how that worked, I'm probably mistaken on this, but it felt like to me he only relented because he got the satisfaction of victory.

Is it any wonder a lot of people including me prefer the games over the anime? Because at least there he was talked out of forcing her home with no battles whatsoever.

And this is coming from a guy who prefers battles over peaceful resolutions

Leonhart

Imagineer
pokedigijedi said:
Ash's Oshawott losing to Darmanitan, and only then does Bianca's dad relent. I don't like how that worked, I'm probably mistaken on this, but it felt like to me he only relented because he got the satisfaction of victory.

I thought that Bel's dad decided not to force Bel to retire as a trainer based on how dedicated Satoshi was to helping her. So my view was that despite Satoshi losing, Bel's dad was impressed that Satoshi had made such a big gamble, so he relented based on respect.

Ash is me on rollercoasters.
Hot take but the Season 15 and Season 16 dub openings suck