• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Enter Olivia! Cry and Laugh, Island Queen!! (974)

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Yup, they did...something to her: they made her basically a version of Whitney with a slightly bigger brain.

So much for how different she is in the games, exuding this air of professionalism.
Somewhat, she is noted in the games to give off the impression of just being a "normal" girl, but we don't often see that when interacting with her. One can only assume she is trying to be professional when interacting with the player because they are meeting her as island challengers (and even then the facade cracks some, like when after losing to the player in the Grand Challenge she tries some sage wisdom, then gives that silly smile and remarks "you guys are great!"). Her concept art also indicates that she is quite silly at heart, as does that ending image in the game of her enjoying mallow's cooking.

Basically she is still accurate to her in-game personality, we just get to see more of the "real" her here.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
How is it this charming lady hasn't been able to get married yet?!

shes probably too busy for that shizz. Good on her for focusing on pokemon and herself and what she wants to do.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Well Olivia made this episode for me. Her personality and quirks really made her a very fun character, and it was great seeing her getting along with any type of Pokemon. But other than her, I thought the episode itself was rather standard and dull. So overall I'll give a 7/10 only because Oliva was great and had a really good introduction.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
shes probably too busy for that shizz. Good on her for focusing on pokemon and herself and what she wants to do.
Just so you know, I was referring to a running gag in the games where she or others mention she doesn't have a boyfriend, hasn't gotten married etc. and how surprising they find it. You even get to share a meal with her and Olivia confides to the player character that she thinks its about time she found someone.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Somewhat, she is noted in the games to give off the impression of just being a "normal" girl, but we don't often see that when interacting with her. One can only assume she is trying to be professional when interacting with the player because they are meeting her as island challengers (and even then the facade cracks some, like when after losing to the player in the Grand Challenge she tries some sage wisdom, then gives that silly smile and remarks "you guys are great!"). Her concept art also indicates that she is quite silly at heart, as does that ending image in the game of her enjoying mallow's cooking.

Basically she is still accurate to her in-game personality, we just get to see more of the "real" her here.

That makes no sense. Just because she was trying to be professional to a 10-year old doesn't mean she was keeping her real attitude in check. She was really professional, albeit a bit silly. That bit of silliness is multiplied ten fold in the anime because of how this season wants more comedy in it.

Besides, characters like Sophocles behave nothing like in the game. The anime isn't doing official representations. It's doing its own thing.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Just so you know, I was referring to a running gag in the games where she or others mention she doesn't have a boyfriend, hasn't gotten married etc. and how surprising they find it. You even get to share a meal with her and Olivia confides to the player character that she thinks its about time she found someone.

oh yeah! totally forgot, my bad :p they should have an episode at the end with brock coming to Alola for that... :p

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I won't be seeing this episode until it gets dubbed, but there is something about it that I need to weigh in on: although this thankfully isn't a widespread complaint (and it better not become one), I've seen people get on the show's case for having Olivia be in an outfit that's different and less revealing than what she wore in the game. To that I have to ask (and I'm totally going to sound like a feminist when I ask this): what's the appeal of scantily-clad women???

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I won't be seeing this episode until it gets dubbed, but there is something about it that I need to weigh in on: although this thankfully isn't a widespread complaint (and it better not become one), I've seen people get on the show's case for having Olivia be in an outfit that's different and less revealing than what she wore in the game. To that I have to ask (and I'm totally going to sound like a feminist when I ask this): what's the appeal of scantily-clad women???

I guess the same as the appeal that Kukui has wearing a lab coat without a shirt on for some fans. Just eye-candy.

Anyway, I liked this episode quite a bit. I loved seeing Dragonair first being teased in the corner (I thought it was a Gyarados at first) before appearing in a large group. I loved Lana saying there was a Lugia in the water (yes I don't speak Japanese but I understood that), I loved Olivia tripping over her heels all the time, and I loved Popplio helping out the Wailmer. I'm not too fond of Lana's Lapras being the only pokémon from the group not to make an appearance today in a water-centric episode though, Lapras doesn't get nearly enough screentime. I get that it's a pokémon from a previous generation and a ride pokémon, but Charizard gets way more screentime. I know it's simple marketing. Put as much Charizard and Pikachu everywhere because they sell, but still... Charizard isn't even Alola-native and Lapras is, a fact that they're usually very keen on following. Outside of Kanto Vulpix, Wobbuffet, and Charizard every single pokémon shown thus far is in the Alola Dex.

I'm not too sure about Wailmer drowning. I always thought water-types could also breathe underwater, but maybe I was wrong. And Ash can hold his breath ridiculously long.

I wonder how much more legendary ocean pokémon Lana is going to tease. Next up Manaphy?

Last edited:

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
lol i like how everyone has their regular backpacks when they arrive at the pokemon center, then you have lillie who has a full suitcase and everything.

Nebbygetinthebag

A great episode.Olivia is so cute and charming as well she is very nice and Lana lying that she saw lugia was funny and the rescued wailmer scene was nice I give it a 8/10.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I'm not too sure about Wailmer drowning. I always thought water-types could also breathe underwater, but maybe I was wrong. And Ash can hold his breath ridiculously long.
While I didn't quite understand everything that was being said, my impression was that Wailmer was still under the control of whatever Psychic power Bruxish had used on it, and that's why it was drowning. It was still encased in that purple glow until it ate the medicine Lillie supplied.

Jangobadass

Surprise!
Nice to see Olivia here, and it's awesome they made her such a fun character (and just hope it doesn't get old quick).

Though I'm a little saddened they made her less hot. Not only did put her in that coat (even making her swim in it!), but she seemed less curvy and thicker than in the games/manga. (I'm a little scared of they might to do Wicke o_o ). There's something off that Lana got to show off than her...<_<

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Great episode! Olivia is a good character to have. Huh. So social networks are now a thing in the Pokemon world. I'm confused as to what was wrong with Wailmer, especially since Bruxish had already left. Lana maintains her title as world's best liar to everyone but Mallow. Also, her swimsuit is clearly her natural outfit. Still find it funny she's always wearing it.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Well this episode didn't go exactly as I expected, but it was alright. I liked some of the comedic moments in this episode, such as: Olivia kissing Tauros and gangs reaction, Olivia laughing at Samson's pun..? while the classmates rolled their eyes, Lana lying about seeing Lugia and Mallow knowing right away, and some of Olivia's quirks were a little humorous as well. The things I really liked about this episode was seeing all the Dragonair (one of my favorite Pokemon, top 5), Lana and Popplio being utilized to help save Wailmer (was hoping they would be involved somehow), and the classmates finally reaching Akala. Was also nice to see a little background about Kiawe and see Midday Lycanroc/Rockruff bond a little. Anyway, it was a really good introduction episode to Olivia, showing us her personality and such, and she clearly has the potential to be one of the best characters/Kahuna's in the series (pretty charming I must say).

TheWanderingMist

Oh, I totally forgot about Olivia actually finding Principal Oak's Pokepuns hilarious.

TheWanderingMist

She's horrible.

Someone stop her kind from being commonplace.

She's great.

She should be the only other lifeform on the planet aside from the Principal (and Lana).

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Nice Episode but I found it a little odd that ash was apparently surprised about Nurse Joys Resemblance to the other Joy im Melemele considering all the previous regions which he traveled (then again its the pokemon anime with its typical lack of continuity lol)

They did literally the exact same thing back in BW.

den21

They did literally the exact same thing back in BW.

Yeah i remember now. but idk couldnt they choose another chara for that. well not surprising and important anyway

Aside from that I really loved that episode, it was quite enjoyable (especially Olivia that dork) and hope next weeks episode to pack quite a punch ^^