• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Enter The Dragonite (114)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It was a riot to see Team Rocket get all into Ash's battle with Drake and almost forget their plan. Also, Ash did well against Drake and some of the strategies that he used in this six on six battle showed his intellect.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It's too bad that Laplace versus Gangar ended in a draw, but as this championship match progressed, Yuuji seemed to gain the upper hand. I liked seeing rarely showcased Pokemon like Eleboo and Fushigibana on Yuuji's team as well, and Kairyu totally lived up to the hype and put up a good battle until the end.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
If that had happened, the series would've ended since becoming a Pokemon Master was Ash's endgame goal.

Well I'm sure that the writing staff could've kept him around even if he had become a Pokemon Master here when he defeated Drake. They could've simply had Ash travel around and compete in other tournaments to defend his title hee hee. ^^;

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Well I'm sure that the writing staff could've kept him around even if he had become a Pokemon Master here when he defeated Drake. They could've simply had Ash travel around and compete in other tournaments to defend his title hee hee. ^^;

If his story would've continued regardless, then I don't see why him achieving his goal here would've mattered. He was lucky that he even won against a powerhouse like Dragonite, though. :/

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
A comparable situation to Ash winning the Orange League is in men's college basketball, where a team wins any postseason tournament BUT the NCAA tournament like the NIT. Many college basketball fans consider the NIT to be second-rate, and thus desire only an NCAA championship for their teams (I can understand, where I saw Ohio State win the 2008 NIT a year after coming up short in the NCAA final - if I had been in charge I would have personally turned down the NIT invite, saying it's either the Big Dance, or it's no Dance for us).

So my point is that to this day I still do not care for Ash's Orange League win for multiple reasons. I still think he needs to win the league of a region that is actually in the games to satisfy my tastes. I think the writers' refusal to let him win one is why TPC burned its bridges with Cartoon Network.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
So my point is that to this day I still do not care for Ash's Orange League win for multiple reasons. I still think he needs to win the league of a region that is actually in the games to satisfy my tastes.

Satoshi's Orange League victory may not have been as spectacular as him winning the Kanto League (or any other significant League) would've been, but I thought it was a fitting end to the Orange Archipelago arc. Besides, I imagine that if he had lost to Yuuji here instead of winning, most viewers would've been extremely disconcerted.

Alloutℯ

Banned
I didn't like how it took Ash four Pokemon just to beat Dragonite, which isn't even that tough of a Pokemon as we've seen in later sagas.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't like how it took Ash four Pokemon just to beat Dragonite, which isn't even that tough of a Pokemon as we've seen in later sagas.

While it's true that Kairyu was eventually downgraded in future episodes, since this was OS, the species being almost on-par with Legendaries was fitting.

Daizy

I call you honey
You have to admit that Ash winning was the highlight of his career. He deserved it after his bs loss against Ritchie in Kanto. Drake's Dragonite was incredible still even when he lost.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Daizy said:
You have to admit that Ash winning was the highlight of his career. He deserved it after his bs loss against Ritchie in Kanto. Drake's Dragonite was incredible still even when he lost.

I did feel like maybe his victory here was a way of him being redeemed after so many losses in the first two years of the anime, even if the stakes here weren't as high as in an official League competition.

I wonder how often the Orange League is held since it seems like hardly anyone can challenge it and yet there was a huge stadium prepared just for the battle against the champion. Drake seemed like an okay guy but since he had Dragonite as his main Pokemon you would think that the writers would've used Lance as the champion instead since he's basically the game's version of Drake.

A good battle at the end of the day even though Dragonite took forever for Ash to beat since Pikachu, Charizard, Tauros and Squirtle had to put in a lot of hard work. I really liked that Dragonite had so many attacks and a counter for almost every strategy Ash used. Aside from that last battle I thought that Drake's Electabuzz and Venusaur were almost pushovers and I my least favourite moment was when Team Rocket interrupted the battle. 8/10

Lapras tying with Gengar was dumb because Lapras had no battle experience unless Gengar. Also Charizard was disappointing but he did his job of weakening Dragonite. Pikachu had to win the battle for Ash against a Dragonite that knew a dozen attacks.

Red and Blue

For the first full battle in the anime I thought it was pretty good. Ash using one of his Tauros for the first time was a big plus for me.

Seeing how OP Drake's Dragonite was makes me happy Ash eventually got his own