• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Enter the Squirtle Fire Brigade! (1230)

Yce288

Grass type FTW

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I mean even though I disagree with most of your opinions on this show I don’t know why me trying to argue it warrants a reaction like I’m trying to censor you, this is a public forum and I was just trying to offer a counter argument, if I can across as to aggressive I’m sorry but no I’m no trying to imply you’re not allowed to feel how you want
See, i don’t mind just a counter argument. Which is why i countered back with what i think would’ve been a better route for the series.

It’s your whole ‘are we gonna repeat this every episode?’ that implies saying the same thing for every episode shouldn’t be done. When both the good and the bad of the past episodes have been pretty identical with how samey the format has been.

And quite frankly i’m way more annoyed at people who just complain about other people’s opinion, especially those who have negative opinions, and have no time for them. If people can’t agree or leave other people’s opinion alone without complaining about it, then just use the ignore button rather than make post that are barely related to the anime.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not an essay time:
Of course Team Rocket would try and weasel themselves into being the Squirtle Squad's managers, and it wouldn't be the first time Meowth micromanged its members either considering he previously used three of its members to help set up a party in Big Town, and whilst I'm on the Team Rocket tangent, it was sad seeing the Kanto starters fall out because Team Rocket blocked Ash and his pokemon from reuniting with it during the meet and greet, causing Squirtle to think they didn't care when in fact the opposite was true and it was the phony managers that were being dillholes, creating said rift in the first place. I suppose it was a good thing Ash and co didn't unmask TR's disguise.
One thing I will say, when Team Rocket... sorry Team Blaze went through their motto, it didn't occur to me that the burning city in the background was Lumiose City and that there was a G-Max Charizard in the background also, which I'll be honest is completely illogical, if they were going to do that, have a Galarian city burn, but I'll give them a pass considering it's a nod to Godzilla and there were also Super Sentai nods in this episode as well.
Other details I want to touch on is this episode marks the first appearance of a Cacnea other than the one James used to own, as well as seeing Bulbasaur pose like the Sugimori art of it from Gen 3 when coming out of its pokeball. Also, not gonna lie I was not expecting Croagunk to halt Brock's flirting in addition to Misty, but we haven't seen it do so since the BW special featuring Cilan almost 10 years ago.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
After the episode, I've commented, in another site, about how I'd love seeing Miki and Hayashibara on an actual sentai series, then today I just learn Miki was cast as a major minion on the upcoming King Ohger.

Hopefully, Hayashibara gets to do a guess role in the show at some point.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Episode Rating - 7/10

The Good:

* The Hoenn bois being in the OP :D.

* I enjoyed the vibe of this episode. Felt like a throwback Johto episode. Pokémon and humans well integrated in the city, Hariyama and Camerupt construction workers, Squirtle Squad going on an Avengers-esque fan tour, etc.

* Charizard's and Bulbasaur's shocked reactions to Squirtle being on the billboard, followed by how happy they were in seeing their old friend.

* Squirtle eating in a quality hotel restaurant. He truly has come so far...

* It's obvious the Gang of Four are old friends, and episodes such as these reaffirm that - if only they occurred more often...

This is all I wanted to see and more!!!
b76ef60072dea2323e66502af5f28c323a06273b.jpg

That's a bit of an extreme hypothetical. I don't see what Squirtle rejoining Ash actually accomplishes, is the point I was trying to make. What would it really achieve? It's more honest to the story and character if Squirtle stays as the leader of the squad (rather than leave them leaderless). There's no pressing need for Ash to have him back.

Very heartwarming episode, I wasn’t expecting it to go the “let’s get the band back together” route but I’m glad it did. Lots of flashbacks with the whole group, great interactions with all the Pokémon and one last “let’s battle again someday” from Ash to Squirtle. This really feels like a light hearted epilogue to Ash and Pikachu’s story so far. I think this is one of my new personal favorites.

Also it’s amazing to see Ash get acknowledged in Kanto as the World Champion. What an absolute surreal moment.

Together.

PRGiOwU.png

The Bad:

* As I've said before, this episode itself would have been OK if it was a random JN episode. Not when there are only 11 4 unaired episodes left.

* These are my episode ratings thus far: 3/10 (01); 7/10 (02); 4/10 (03); 6/10 (04); 7/10 (05); 5/10 (06). I'm just hoping that I can rate some 8s, 9s, or 10s for the remaining 4 episodes...

KukuiFanatic501

Hmmmm.

- If this is Kanto, it really feels like AG Kanto: a lot of Houenn pokemon around for no good reason (except for team Houenn + ambipom in the OP. Which make sense, since aipom still was Ash's by the end of AG)
- Surprised that bulbasaur can spend a whole day out of the lab without anything goes to hell
- That OS shenanigans, where everyone fight for a lame thing (started by TRio), just for pikachu shocks them all. Not missed
- There's your Misty & croagunk team up. Go home
- Convenient serious fire. Squirtle Squad have to get serious. And everyone make peaces to save that damn venonat that just can't listen its trainer! Well, everything ends swell.
- Obligatory stealth latias
- And Squirtle didn't rejoin. Nice call back to when it was caught, tho
- I'd never thought the day when Ash is swarmed by fans would happen

An "eh" episode, animation certainly didn't help here. Anyway, if squirtle of all things isn't coming back permanentely, not expecting lapras or any other of Ash's releases do the same.

Late to this but this pretty much summed up my thoughts when I saw this episode.

-Great to see Squirtle again after so many years

-Misty and Crogunk are the ultimate duo for sure lol

-Charizard and Bulbasaur were very pouty and salty in this episode, probably the most petty we’ve seen them be for a long time

-Ash getting a whole bunch of fans attacking him over his champion win was a huge huge uplifting delight to see happen!!

Not my favorite of the episodes but definitely one I enjoyed. 7/10

TheCrazyMaster

So, this episode saw the reunion of the OG starter trio, with the primary focus being on Ash's Squirtle.

The main theme regarding this episode was a conflict that occurred due to a misunderstanding, that occured thanks to Team Rocket. Namely, because they shoo Ash and co. away while Squirtle is distracted, Squirtle pretty much comes to the conclusion that Ash and his old partners no longer care for him. I feel two different ways about this. On one hand, we know that Squirtle and the Squirtle squad were all abandoned by their former trainers, so seeing Ash leaving without talking to him was probably traumatic to some extent. On the other hand, I also feel as though Squirtle isn't exactly the type of Pokemon that would jump to that conclusion, especially since not only is it supposed to be one of Ash's closest partners, and since Ash and co actually showed up to meet it at the restaurant.
When it comes to Charizard and Bulbasaur, they were similar in some ways to how their usually portrayed. We had the return of the Charizard flamethrower gag, and we also saw Bulbasaur being the first Pokemon trying to deescalated the drama when Squirtle and Charizard start fighting, falling in line with its peacekeeping role. But the main focus was obviously the misunderstanding that lead to the fight to begin with, as they got angry at Squirtle after it lashed out at them. It was nice to see that despite their anger, Charizard and Sqirtle maintain fond memories of Squirtle, but are still to stubborn to bring themselves to forgive it, kinda reflecting Ash's stubbornness. That said, I couldn't help but feel that it was really out of character for both Charizard and Bulbasaur to allow a building to burn down just because of a grudge that they have with Squirtle.
I think the concept of the conflict was interesting, but I really don't like the way it ended. They basically resolved their drama when Charizard and Bulbasaur saw that Squirtle was trying it's best to put out the fire. They never actually confront the source of the conflict.

This episode did have its upsides. For one thing, WE FINALLY GOT ONE OF THE GREATEST COLLABORATIONS OF ALL TIME IN THE FORM OF MISTY AND CROAGUNK!!!!!!! Seriously, I've always wanted to see these two collab to take down Brock. Sure, I wanted Max too, but it doesnt change the fact that this is what I've always wanted to see. Best part of the episode for me.
It was also nice to see that Misty's Clawitzer wasn't forgotten about, plus that more and more people are officially the world champion.

So overall, I'd say this is an okay episode, but not exactly the greatest.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
As a Hoenn enthusiast, I obviously loved its prominence in the opening here. Also, they showed Thunder Armor :0. Ambipom's presence was an odd choice though, since Ash never evolved it that far under ownership of any kind. I get it's a former Pokemon of Ash's that ended up evolving later (at that point it's wholly Dawn's Pokemon), but Aipom would have been more appropriate.

Always love seeing Ash rotate in his strongest Pokemon, even when it does nothing super significant. It's really a tremendous shame it hasn't done anything as notable as his later caught mons since dominating pre-champion Iris's Dragonite (unless it came back and did something in some JN that I haven't seen yet). Could have easily did what Alan's (and Leon's) Charizard did, if not more.

Pikachu wearing that Squirtle Squad merch, gotta love it.

They almost had me fooled for a second during that Team Rocket reveal on stage, when I thought they did a return to their black attire from BW. Those power ranger-like outfits on the squirtle squad, when did... okay. The high popularity of the squad is well deserved with how long they been putting out fires there.

The combination of Brock getting the Poison Jab from Croagunk and Ear-pull from Misty was entertaining. Like how he actually had Croagunk with him. Tells us it hasn't evolved, but I don't see the problem with an evolution at this point in the series.

So... the nostalgia factor overall wasn't too effective with how much reunions there's been since S&M. It worked better when there were whole series long gaps pre-S&M before seeing them again. Throwing in like Pidgeot would have up-ed the effectiveness of the nostalgia, though they also could have used more memorable flashbacks as well. Squirtle gave Ash a hug far later in the episode that actually felt very reminiscent of something in the OS. And I know some people never get tired of the gang of 4, but it'd be cool to add another familiar-with mon after all their reunions prior. (I like how I immediately knew a thunderbolt was coming once the other starters used their moves on Ash. "Flamethrower'ed, Razor Leaf'ed, and Water Gun'ed? Ok Pika's Thunderbolt is coming next lol".)

The episode was decent, but it's last several minutes that had the strongest impact and made it very enjoyable. Once Brock lent his assistance during the final fire scene, everything from then on was near-perfect. Everybody did something, played a part. Misty brought out her water mons, including Clauncher (good move). Ash raises Squirtle's spirit after seeing it in a pinch, leading to it (and the squad) then having a flip-hat-backwards-like moment by changing to the original attire (thankfully lol). Ash got some water hoes, which Misty then connected. Despite the poor animation, Pikachu then negated something in Ash's way with thunderbolt. The scene escalates, pushing Charizard and Bulbasaur to step up and participate. Wild Pokemon (which happen to be the same bunch seen throughout the episode) are spotted on the rooftop, extending participation and a higher level of teamwork for the starter trio. Ash himself even directed most of the dramatic event, with the Hall of Fame BGM fittingly played over. The cons I'd give that whole particular setpiece are the weak animations in areas, the still-shots, Squirtle using Water Gun over Hydro Pump (like, why? You have Hydro Pump and Misty's Politoad used it on the fire so...), and Brock doing literally nothing else after claiming to "evacuate" as the subs say (when all we're shown is Brock blocking a wide line of people from the center in one spot, and later shown staring at the fire with people still close by lol. I expected for his Pokemon to come out and use ground attacks and such against the fire, as been seen before, but it didn't happen).
Naturally everyone made up. Personally, always been proud of Squirtle and what it's achieved, but it's always been like off-putting seeing Ash's other starters under his ownership and ready for transfer while he's out there with an actual occupation. Being... Together Forever... would be sweet. Lastly, one of my favorite parts, Ash being recognized as the champion he is, with a whole crowd of people rushing over to him. But not even just Ash, Misty and Brock received the same attention for their gym leader roles. Everyone was popular (except Bulbasaur and sadly Charizard. Speaking of which, I kinda wish one of the kids asked: "Woah, you also have a Charizard like Leon? Who's is stronger?!" hahaha).

There's always more to say, always, but time is limited. I do have a wish I hope happens though. I know the English dub is more explicit about about the promise to return to Pidgeot than the JPN dub, but I really hope it and Ash reunites, and is ridden, before the closure of Ash's journey.

Starswirl Pikachu

Wow Venonat, now that is pretty nostalgic!

Once again we have Ash and company and Ash will have a randomly chosen team as well. Except this time Ash gets some of his ace's from the Kanto region, Charizard and Bulbasaur! As luck would have it, the Squirtle squad is performing live and our heroes get to watch the show. I think this goes to demonstrate that this series does much better with character driven stories over other alternatives.

It is also quite good to see Team Rocket in an almost legitimate business for a change. Naturally no one is able to see through their disguises but for this episode they did well and are a perfect fit for the roles they were in.

I thought the Squirtles had a nice performance both on and off the stage. The super hero costumes seem like a decent enough touch and were apparently popular with the crowd. To top it all off we get two Officers Jenny's, which are not often seen together at once.

Good episode, hopefully there will be more like this!