• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Epic Fail

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
I got to 41-straight wins with these three t the BT. I forgot what I lost to, but I think it was a Dusknoir or something. No EV's, because I didn't EV train them. I don't EV train any of my pokemon, for that matter. Natures aren't as they are either. Just what I want them to be. I just want to be able to beat Palmer a 2nd time. I need some way to improve. Anyway, here are my star players:

Gengar @ Wide Lens
Modest/Timid Nature
Ability: Levitate
-Hypnosis
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt

This was what I used 90% of the time. I swept through whole teams with this baby. Hypnosis to put foes to sleep, Shadow Ball for STAB, Focus Blast for Dark-types, and Thunderbolt for coverage and for random waters.

Electivire @ Expert Belt
Adamant Nature
Ability: Motor Drive
-Thunder Punch
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop

If ever Gengar faints during a battle, this powerhouse finishes the job for him. I must say, I never had the need to switch out whenever Vire came into play. It's like he has everything covered. Except for the occasional Shedinja, of course. Anyway, Thunder Punch for STAB, Earthquake to deal with other Electric-types, Ice Punch for Ground-types, and Cross Chop for coverage.

And last, but not least,:

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Adamant Nature
Ability: Clear Body
-Magnet Rise
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Explosion

Magnet Rise to avoid Ground-type attacks, Meteor Mash for STAB, Earthquake for Steel-types, and Explosion to deal with foes that are tough to beat if the battle takes too long. I mostly just send this one out when I have at least two pokemon left and the opponent has only one pokemon left. I like to end the fight with a bang, so I use Explosion. I was also opting for CB+Bullet Punch, but the current set is working for me.

Well, there's my team. I hope I don't get too many bad remarks...

randomspot555

If you dont know about EV training and basic game mechanics such as EVs, natures, items and so on, don't expect to get very far in the battle tower. I'm surprised you got to 41, but that's probably because they are EV trained Pokes and you got them in a trade.

If you want to further your BT streak, read up on the game mechanics and the basics of competitive battling. With just knowledge, the current team would do better than 41. A weapon in the hands of someone experienced and knowledgable is much more deadly than in the hands of someone ignorant.

You have two moves that require set up (Hypnosis, Magnet Rise) and you're rarely going to have the time to use both in the BT. You have two earthquake weak Pokes, but at least Gengar can cover that assuming it's still alive when they come out. The downside is Gengar can't take any hits, and if it's someone like Rampardos, your team could easily go down.

Without an attack like Aerial Ace or Shadow Punch, Double Team users can hurt your team badly. Luck is on the AI's side, and Aerial Ace has saved me time and time again after the AI got 6 double teams in.

You need to diversify a bit, since shared weaknesses hurt a lot in the Battle Tower. That means ditch either Vire or Metagross. I'd say keep Gross, since it can actually take a hit or two.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
I got to 41-straight wins with these three t the BT. I forgot what I lost to, but I think it was a Dusknoir or something. No EV's, because I didn't EV train them. I don't EV train any of my pokemon, for that matter. Natures aren't as they are either. Just what I want them to be. I just want to be able to beat Palmer a 2nd time. I need some way to improve. Anyway, here are my star players:

Gengar @ Wide Lens
Modest/Timid Nature
Ability: Levitate
-Hypnosis / Will-O-Wisp
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
Will-O-Wisp > Hypnosis, imo because he gets beaten badly by Physical Sweepers.

This was what I used 90% of the time. I swept through whole teams with this baby. Hypnosis to put foes to sleep, Shadow Ball for STAB, Focus Blast for Dark-types, and Thunderbolt for coverage and for random waters.

Electivire @ Expert Belt
Adamant Nature
Ability: Motor Drive
-Thunder Punch
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop
In this case, a pure Physical E-Vire's fine. Good job.

If ever Gengar faints during a battle, this powerhouse finishes the job for him. I must say, I never had the need to switch out whenever Vire came into play. It's like he has everything covered. Except for the occasional Shedinja, of course. Anyway, Thunder Punch for STAB, Earthquake to deal with other Electric-types, Ice Punch for Ground-types, and Cross Chop for coverage.

And last, but not least,:

Metagross @ Shuca Berry / Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Ability: Clear Body
-Magnet Rise / Agility / ThunderPunch
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Explosion
CB with ThunderPunch; Magnet Rise with Shuca or Agility with Shuca. I recommend ThunderPunch > Magnet Rise, though. Earthquake probably won't hurt him that much even though he is weak against it as he has a base 135 Def.

Magnet Rise to avoid Ground-type attacks, Meteor Mash for STAB, Earthquake for Steel-types, and Explosion to deal with foes that are tough to beat if the battle takes too long. I mostly just send this one out when I have at least two pokemon left and the opponent has only one pokemon left. I like to end the fight with a bang, so I use Explosion. I was also opting for CB+Bullet Punch, but the current set is working for me.

Well, there's my team. I hope I don't get too many bad remarks...

Changes in Bold.

EvilAzn

Phantom Poster
To azeem, giving him the idea of using a choice item without adequate bulk = dead in BT cause 1 he can get stuck and 2 none of his pokemon are very sturdy excluding the one who is currently so lucky to be stuck.
Anywho as randomspot said you need to diversify your team more, one common sash/scarfed rampardos = game over guarenteed with the ability to sweep your team with just eq or pincer can do the exact same only not as badly.
so what we're trying to say is tack on something like a glisor etc and that might win you something passed 50 more likely.

Gengar and vire is fine.Try this metagross
Metagross@Muscle band/Leftovers (For power or survibability)
Adamant
Agility
Meteor mash
Eq
Bullet punch (For Dters)
As randomspot555 said u cant set up a lot of things in the tower so magnet rise is pretty much useless.Explosion can be a bad idea on your final pokemon.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
To azeem, giving him the idea of using a choice item without adequate bulk = dead in BT cause 1 he can get stuck and 2 none of his pokemon are very sturdy excluding the one who is currently so lucky to be stuck.
Anywho as randomspot said you need to diversify your team more, one common sash/scarfed rampardos = game over guarenteed with the ability to sweep your team with just eq or pincer can do the exact same only not as badly.
so what we're trying to say is tack on something like a glisor etc and that might win you something passed 50 more likely.

Metagross is "adequete" bulk. Have you seen it's Defenses?

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
Well, thanks. And randomspot555, you need to watch what you say. I know quite a bit about the "basic" mechanics of training and I know the "not-so-basic" mechanics as well. I'm just lazy. One moment I decide to EV train, and another, I just stop. Why are you surprised I got to 41? One gets what one deserves, right? And btw, the only pogeys I got in trades are Gengar and Electivire. Vire, I got from PBR, and I don't know if it's EV trained or not, Gengar, I got from Mindy, and his name is Gaspar. I have no idea if this one is EV trained either. My Metagross however, I caught at lv.51 as a Beldum. Surprised? I thought so. Anyway, I didn't lose with this team, sorry. I switched Vire with:

Alakazam @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Ability: Synchronize
-Trick
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

This one lost to a Vespiquen, and after I switched to Gengar, my opponent's ResTalk Dusknoir beat me with Payback.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Well, thanks. And randomspot555, you need to watch what you say. I know quite a bit about the "basic" mechanics of training and I know the "not-so-basic" mechanics as well. I'm just lazy. One moment I decide to EV train, and another, I just stop. Why are you surprised I got to 41? One gets what one deserves, right? And btw, the only pogeys I got in trades are Gengar and Electivire. Vire, I got from PBR, and I don't know if it's EV trained or not, Gengar, I got from Mindy, and his name is Gaspar. I have no idea if this one is EV trained either. My Metagross however, I caught at lv.51 as a Beldum. Surprised? I thought so. Anyway, I didn't lose with this team, sorry. I switched Vire with:

Alakazam @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Ability: Synchronize
-Trick / Charge Beam / Grass Knot
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

This one lost to a Vespiquen, and after I switched to Gengar, my opponent's ResTalk Dusknoir beat me with Payback.

Just a suggestion in Bold. Try adding more variety such as Charge Beam or Grass Knot.

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
To be serious, Alakazam w/o Trick will fail really fast in the BT imo. Actually, I should give t some consideration. This thread's name is "Epic Fail" after all.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
To be serious, Alakazam w/o Trick will fail really fast in the BT imo. Actually, I should give t some consideration. This thread's name is "Epic Fail" after all.

Grass Knot and Charge Beam are not "Epic Fail."

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
I never said they were. Any team you associate with me or is built by me will become epic-fail, FYI.

Maybe you should try to make them worthy...

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
It'll take a few, hmm, maybe couple hundred years before that happens. This is the best I can do. Seriously. How can they be more worthy than they already are?

Why must you insult yourself. You said you're lazy. Why not overcome that laziness? I am not good as well but I don't give up.

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
Why must you insult yourself. You said you're lazy. Why not overcome that laziness? I am not good as well but I don't give up.

Well, after you've insulted yourself and said you sucked about 1000 times each day, you really don't notice it anymore. It doesn't hurt that much either.

I try to overcome the laziness, but after 5 rounds of the E4, it gets pretty boring. I've beaten the E4 128 times, btw.

That's the bad part. The only way to get fast level-ups is the E4. None of them have any good pokemon to EV train against, and the pokemon I need to trian are only at their lv.5's.

To put it simply, I have limited access to pokemon, so I must work with what I have. I completed the dex, so my PC boxes are pretty much full, and I don't want to give any of them away.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Well, after you've insulted yourself and said you sucked about 1000 times each day, you really don't notice it anymore. It doesn't hurt that much either.

I try to overcome the laziness, but after 5 rounds of the E4, it gets pretty boring. I've beaten the E4 128 times, btw.

That's the bad part. The only way to get fast level-ups is the E4. None of them have any good pokemon to EV train against, and the pokemon I need to trian are only at their lv.5's.

To put it simply, I have limited access to pokemon, so I must work with what I have. I completed the dex, so my PC boxes are pretty much full, and I don't want to give any of them away.

Yea that does suck. Why not throw away the weak lvl pokemon that you don't EV train?

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
Yea that does suck. Why not throw away the weak lvl pokemon that you don't EV train?

Because they have so much potential. I have tons of pokemon, three boxes full to be exact, that are solely for battling. All of them however, are not EV trained. It seems like such a waste. I worked hard on them already, before I even knew what EV traingn was.

Gengar:

Fine, but Will-o-Wisp over Hypnosis is an option if you're having trouble with Gengar's defenses.

Alakazam:

Fine. If you want more sweeping power, Grass Knot can be good over Trick. But otherwise, it's fine.

Metagross:

I don't suggest Magnet Rise. I use too use it, and it seems like a good idea, only giving Metagross one weakness, but a simple switch of it too Agility works quite better imo. However, as said several times, you need less set up moves. For Metagross, may I suggest:

Metagross@Choice Band
Jolly
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Explosion
-Thunder Punch/Bullet Punch
Basic Band set. You could also (though I don't suggest it) drop Meteor Mash entirely and use T-Punch and Bullet Punch.

randomspot555

Well, thanks. And randomspot555, you need to watch what you say. I know quite a bit about the "basic" mechanics of training and I know the "not-so-basic" mechanics as well. I'm just lazy. One moment I decide to EV train, and another, I just stop.

I don't need to watch what I say. If you don't demonstrate the knowledge of EV training or knowing about EV distribution or IVs, then it's safe to assume you don't actually know about it. And in your first post, you specifically say you don't EV train. So there's no reason for me to assume you understand EVs, especially when you say you don't EV train.

Why are you surprised I got to 41? One gets what one deserves, right?

Because the BT has an incredibly huge AI luck advantage, and after #21, you're facing against competitively viable Pokemon who also have luck on there side (double team, OHKO, focus band, quick claw). It's incredibly unlikely that random Pokemon trained from the main part of the 8 gyms+e4 game could be useful in the Battle Tower.

U could put Grass Knot for accuracy over Focus blast for Zam.
Because they have so much potential. I have tons of pokemon, three boxes full to be exact, that are solely for battling. All of them however, are not EV trained. It seems like such a waste. I worked hard on them already, before I even knew what EV traingn was.
If u want to ev train them give them ev reducing berries and then ev train.Same for your current pokes when u feel like give them ev reducing berries and ev train.
I also have limited access to pokemon but i still ev train the ones i have and they are competively strong pokemon.U should really start to ev train from now on.I think its boring too but i do it.One final thing stop insulting yourself.