• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Episode 1 HD Comparison: JPN Movie 20 BR vs VIZ BR vs VIZ DVD

Shift

I'll learn you good!
Recently I got both the VIZ Indigo League Blu-Ray box set and the limited edition of Movie 20 from Japan, which includes the 1080p version of episode 1 that was first broadcast five years ago. Looking at them next to my original DVD set really makes the difference in picture quality obvious, so I thought I'd screencap various sections and let you all see how they stack up.

Movie 20 Limited Edition Blu-Ray
VIZ Indigo League Blu-Ray
VIZ Indigo League DVD

And for those curious, the movie 20 version has the original opening, ending and Dare Da? segments in HD as well, so here are some shots of those:

HD Opening, Dare Da? and Closing

In my opinion, the Movie 20 version is the clear winner. Every scene has been rescanned from the original film, the detail for smaller and distant objects is especially impeccable, and the effects that were originally bright remain so here, unlike the English versions that used the darkened and slowed down versions they were sent. Surprisingly, the VIZ BR set actually holds up pretty well since it cleans up a lot of the splicing artifacts the DVDs have; just look at the Spearow and Ho-Oh shots to see what I mean. It's definitely the best the English versions have ever looked.

Basically, both new Blu-Ray sets are worthy replacements for the first two tired DVD sets, and since the HD ep 1 is supposedly limited edition only, I'd recommend at the very least you import that Movie 20 set as soon as you can.

If anyone has any scenes they'd like to see more of, let me know!