• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Equilibria - [PG-14]

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Rated for minor blood-shed and violence in later chapters.

Right, so first of all let me shamelessly plug the project that this fic is a part of. The Havoc and Serenity Project is a fan-game and fakedex project started by myself and co-creator (aliased here) Team_Magma93. Equilibria is the story of a beginning Pokemon trainer on his journey through Cuaro - the region in which the games Pokemon Havoc Version and Pokemon Serenity Version are set. This fic's main purpose is to reveal the storyline of these games in as evilly suspenseful a manner as possible. ;)

Chapters will be jointly posted here and on the HaSe Project's forums along with the concise version of the storyline as it would appear in the games.

As Equilibria is part of a fakedex project, a fair amount of original Pokemon feature both heavily and briefly as the story progresses. The project site is constantly being updated with new pages on the people and Pokemon of Cuaro so if you want to know more than is revealed in the fic itself then feel free to head on over there and join our fledgling project. ^^

As a developing writer, I know I still have a lot to learn and I would love to receive as much constructive criticism of Equilibria here or via PM. Hopefully there won't be many straight-forward spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes but just in case as you read you think there are, please bear in mind that I am English and as such use British spelling, so colour instead of 'color', etc.

Anywho, on with the show!

Actually, one small note: if you recognise parts of this fic that's because I posted the first draft of this fic here a while ago before stopping to concentrate more on the project itself. Only the first few chapters were done at that point and have been re-written anyway but just in case anyone didn't realise it was me again. ^^

Prologue.​

The Cuaro Region. A dramatic place where towering mountains meet peaceful plains, boiling volcanoes meet sapphire lagoons and scorching deserts meet verdant forests. A place left untouched for millennia and unknown to all but the indigenous peoples of the mountain villages and the roaming tribes of the vast plains.

But as the years of technical advancement in the regions across the sea have continued and the need for energy has swelled, the black gold of the Ouwahlu Desert and the towering trees of the Serpent Forest have drawn in many outsiders: scientists from the dismantled oil-works of Almia, miners from the long-spent quarries of Orre, and money-hungry tycoons from the grand cities of Kanto and Sinnoh.

These people have profited enormously from the land and its bounty, building sprawling cities on the great, flat, plains and pumping the resources for all they’re worth. They spread their poisons like a plague across the once magnificent region.

And as if this ongoing evil wasn’t bad enough, there is a new threat in Cuaro, one that could lead not just to the destruction of the region’s countryside, but to the end of the very universe it is part of.

Chapter 1: Sleepy heads and Sailing ships.

Ethar stared thoughtfully out to sea from the prow of the ship. The ragged coast of the Cuaro Region was just emerging over the horizon. Besides that, the view was grey and gloomy; rain clouds were moving in. The steely-coloured sea bucked and thrashed under the gale of the oncoming storm. The young man wrapped his cloak around himself to protect against the wind and the early-morning chill and redirected his gaze inwards.

The dreams were back, haunting him during the day as well as in the solitude of his cabin. Whenever he was alone, the awful memories crept back into his thoughts.

RrRRRRRrrrrRRR! The whole house was shaking, the young boy clinging to the oak-panelled walls had never felt such power. Every mahogany door rattled on its hinges, every expensive, china ornament vibrated closer to the edge of whichever lofty precipice it was perched on. The boy was panicking. Where were his parents? The staff? Where had everyone gone? It was dark outside the polished, glass window of his bedroom. His nanny had just left to get him a glass of water and then the noises had started; men shouting, the roars and grunts of Pokemon, even a gunshot at one point. The boy had jumped out of his sumptuous four-poster and run out into the hall. The lights were flickering, his eyes couldn’t adjust to the intermittent darkness, and then- CRASH!

A chilly wave of cool sea air swept over the deck, complete with a bucketful of salty spray. Ethar gasped for breath, the panic from all those years ago slowly subsiding.

He glanced downwards at the Decipoise and Blophin playing in the wake of the ship. It was one of the larger of the Pokemon that had caused the splash. Ethar smiled distractedly.

Their sleek, pale blue bodies bucked and dived in the streaming v-shape that spread from the ship’s prow. Some of the male Decipoise playfully jousted each other with their single, spiralled tusk and a female shielded her tiny, young Blophin with her fin as the boat sped past a flock of Wingull dive bombing a school of Remoraid.

Decipoise were well-known for their joyous attitude, but not even their antics could lighten Ethar’s spirits. He sighed and returned to his vigil. His scruffy, black hair whipped around his pale face and his dark clothes were soaked with spray. He couldn’t relax; too much rested on this new start.

A wave of compressed air and a faint pressure on the boys eardrums indicated the arrival of one of his partners. Suddenly and quite impossibly, a humanoid creature with styled, green hair was occupying the section of deck behind the boy. The creature had very large, pinkish eyes and dark green skin. The white, papery garment that grew from its waist was trimmed into the shape of trench-coat tails and it had let its shoulder fringes grow into sleeves. It was a Gardevoir, a powerful Psychic-type Pokemon.

<It’ll be fine, Ethar.> The words resolved themselves into a deep, male-sounding voice in Ethar’s mind. The Pokemon’s mouth hadn’t moved, but his psychic powers presented his intended meaning directly to the boys brain. While Ethar could not directly hear his voice, he would always know what his partner was trying to tell him.

To the average person, this would have felt extremely disconcerting, but Ethar had known the Gardevoir for quite a while now and he was accustomed to the psychic Pokemon’s strange ways.

“I don’t want to just drift anymore. I want answers,” said the young man.

<I thought we agreed we were going to put that behind us,> replied the Gardevoir with a hint of pity in his telepathic voice.

“I can’t do it, Psymon!” he said without turning away from the seascape, “If this ‘Cuaro Region’ doesn’t offer me the new start I want then I’m going to have to go in search of what happened.”

The tall Pokemon laid a slender, green hand on his friends shoulder, <Like I said before, it will be fine. Nobody knows you here. Even if you do let your curse-of-a-name slip again, it will mean nothing to these people.>

“I hope you’re right, Psymon, I really do,” Ethar closed his eyes and took a deep breath. After a few seconds he turned around to face the Gardevoir, a strained smile on his wind-beaten face, “So where are Orvel and Lance?” he asked, “Not causing havoc with our fellow passengers again I hope.”

<Ha-ha, I certainly hope not, they’ve only just finished clearing up the mess in the dining hall,> said the Pokemon, his wide eyes creasing in a smile.

The dark-haired boy smiled properly for the first time that day, “I know! No matter how much trouble that man was having cutting his steak, Orvel was never going to make a better job of it with a Leaf Blade.”

Psymon chuckled, <Let’s get back inside, we’ll be arriving soon and I think I felt a raindrop.>

*** ***​

Far away, in a part of the Cuaro Region not being ravaged by storm for once, the dawn light was just reaching the precarious round-houses and terraced gardens of Tempest Village. In the second brightly-painted house down from the top of the west peak, another boy was dreaming, but not of the horrors of the past. His subconscious imaginings were of the future.

RrrRRRrrRR! The thunderous round of applause reverberated around the stadium, filling the boy with triumphant joy. The battle field stretched out before him, on the other side stood his opponent. Their strongest and final Pokemon was just taking the field. The boys own Pokemon stood in front of him. Having ploughed through the Champion’s first five Pokemon, his faithful partner would annihilate this last obstacle and then the title of Champion of the Cuaro Region would be theirs! The opponent called their move, the boy called his, the two Pokemon rushed across the stage on a collision course that would decide the fate of the battle. Closer, closer, the ground shook under their pounding footsteps, any second now- RrRRrrshk!

With the rattling sound of a blind clattering itself open, a stream of bright sunlight burst through the glassless window of the Pachama family’s round house. The beam found the face of the young boy, though it was largely obscured by a brightly-coloured woven duvet and a tasselled hat of the same material. In fact, if it wasn’t for the tufts of black hair and the nut-brown skin of the boy’s face, he would have passed without difficulty as a bundle of spare rugs.

“RAIMUNDO THEODORE PACHAMA OF THE GREAT TEMPEST MOUNTAINS!” shouted a female voice, “GET UP THIS INSTANT! YOU’RE ALREADY TWO MINUTES LATE FOR WORK!”

The boy grunted and rolled over, but the words gradually sunk into his mind and after much consideration his brain decided that they were due some sort of dramatic recognition.

The boy sat bolt upright, he eyes shot wide open and his duvet flew into a heap on the floor. Now would probably be a good time to highlight the fact that Raimundo, the boy in question, had been sleeping in a hammock. Anybody who has ever slept in a hammock will tell you that sifting your weight as dramatically as Raimundo had just done is not advisable unless you wish to take a short, but highly comical, trip to the floor.

“Rai, did you know that not a single member of the Pachama family had ever fallen out of a hammock for over a century before you were born?” said a young, male voice from above the boy’s head.

“No, Thomas, I didn’t know that. I would thank you for that fascinating tit-bit of information, but my mouth is currently moulding itself into the shape of the carpet weave,” grumbled Raimundo into the rug, “Now, would you please help me up!”

“Rai! That is no way to speak to your brother, and you are perfectly capable of getting yourself up,” said the female voice again, “Although you do need a bit of practice with the timing.”

Rai groaned and pulled himself to his feet. He shuffled laboriously to the table in the centre of the one-roomed hut and began to ladle himself some of the porridge-like cereal that almost all Tempest Village people ate every morning.

“Rai?” asked Morana Pachama, Rai’s mother, “do you have the memory of a Goldeen? I said, YOU ARE LATE FOR WORK!”

Rai dropped the ladle, showering Tommy, his brother, with globules of gelatinous oatmeal. He sprinted across the room in three steps, retrieved a home-woven jacket, an old T-shirt and some faded jeans from their usual pile on the floor and leapt behind one of the various hanging mats to change.

His mind was always doing that - switching back into mindless routine when it should be focusing on something important. He saw it as a sign that he really needed to get out of this place before his brain turned to mush.

It wasn’t that he didn’t like Tempest Village - it was a beautiful place, with its colourful people in even more colourful clothes, its rope bridges and stone staircases. And then there was the looming shadow of Riven Peak, its permanent halo of broiling, purple thunderclouds always pulsing and throwing out the occasional lightning bolt to the Gym’s conducting mast.

Ah, the Gym, thought Rai as he pulled on the second of his thick, Mareep-wool socks. The only relief from the mind-numbing monotony of farming and routine was his job helping out Leader Zach at the eccentric elder’s Pokemon Gym. Sure, it was only mucking-out the Granico and maybe brushing down the Leader’s team if their was a challenge coming up, but it was always the highlight of Rai’s day; and it wouldn’t be for much longer if he didn’t hurry up! Finally dressed, Rai shot out from behind the screen and ran towards the curtained door.

“Remember to open the door before you charge through the curtain this time!” shouted Tommy after him as he hurled his satchel onto his shoulder.

Out in the morning sunshine, he skidded to a stop on the gravely ground of the precipice that his family home was built on. He glanced around, then put his first and second fingers in his mouth and whistled as loud as possible. With a sound of scattering pebbles and galloping hooves, a Pokemon came running round from behind the house. The Pokemon was the size of a large dog and had pale brown fur coating most of its body. There was a tuft of darker brown fur on the top of its head and it had rock-like lumps on its knees and back. It had dark brown, cloven hooves and a short tail that wagged from side to side as it stopped in front of the boy. The Pokemon looked up at him with a quizzical look that seemed to say “and where have you been?”

“Yes, yes, I know I’m late, Cree. Now let’s go, we’ll have to run, but try not to fall over too much, okay?”

The Montama, llama-like Pokemon native to the Tempest Mountains were traditionally reared by the Tempest villagers as beasts of burden. However, they were only useful once evolved into Granico as the young were prone to extreme clumsiness. As a result, from a young age stony protrusions formed on their knees and saddle-area to protect them from injury.

Rai continued at his brutal pace down the staircase hewn out of the side of the mountain down to the next layer. His hat-tassels whipped around his face in the ever-present mountain wind and Cree stumbled wildly, but just managed to stay on her feet, as she cantered along behind him.

Many a head turned as the pair ran past the terrace gardens where most of the food that sustained the community was grown. The farmers shook their heads and turned back to their work. Rai was well-known for his wistful ways and most just saw him as lazy. One farmer even shook his fist at them when a small boulder scattered by Cree’s flailing hooves squashed one of his carefully tended cabbages. Rai waved to his father when he saw him in the distance tending the family’s flock of Mareep which were grazing on the sparse vegetation that sprouted between the rocks on the sides of the mountains. But after the quick greeting they continued hurriedly on their way.

Eventually, Rai’s frantic dashing brought him to the start of the bridge which spanned the ravine between the East and West peaks of Tempest Village. He shielded his eyes from the sun and searched the distant other side for people coming in the opposite direction. He really was late - the bridge, though only just big enough to allow two people to pass each other, was normally bustling with people on their way to work or visiting friends and family when Rai reached it in the morning. Now though, a solitary shepherd was the only person coming across the bridge.

“Oh, lord Zephound of the thunderclouds, how can my day get any worse,” swore Rai to himself. He had just noticed that the shepherd was not so solitary after all. There was a flock of Mareep, with the occasional pink Flaafy sticking out from the crowd, moving slowly onto the bridge after him.

The yellow, woolly sheep Pokemon, though very useful for making clothes (and delicious with potatoes on special occasions) were not famed for their intelligence, and they were still - even after hundreds of years of successful crossings - terrified of traversing the bridge.

Rai slumped down onto a near-by boulder and put his head in his hands. Cree nuzzled him affectionately with her wet snout but the boy pushed her away.

“It’s hopeless, Cree,” he muttered into his gloves, “they’ll take at least an hour getting over the bridge and we couldn’t push past them even if we tried. I’m going to be so late that they’ll be eating noon meal by the time I get to the Gym. And then I’ll be fired for sure.”

Cree hung her head, she hated to see her friend and trainer like this. If only she could help him… but wait! She had crossed to the other mountain plenty of times without using the bridge. The Granico and Montama owned by the villagers were allowed to roam free most of the time and there was a cliff that jutted out further down the mountain that narrowed the void just enough that you could jump from it and land on another cliff on the other side. It was a long way down and back up again, and she had never managed to make the jump without falling over, but it would still be faster than waiting for the Mareep.

“Tama!” cried Cree and tugged at Rai’s jacket. The boy looked up, confused by his Pokemons sudden change of mood.

“What, you want me to follow you?”

“Tama-tama!” said the llama Pokemon excitedly.

“I suppose I’ve got nothing better to do,” he reasoned glumly, “Come on then.”

The faithful Pokemon led her trainer to the top of the path that led to the leaping cliff. Rai looked down the worn trail and spotted where it ended.

“No way! I can’t jump that Cree! You may be able to slide on your knee pads for a while if you crash, but I could kill myself trying to make that. A Granico would jump it easily but - hang on a second…”

With a mischievous look in his eye, Rai glanced around the precipice, searching for - yes! There was a small group of Granico grazing beside one of the houses. He approached the large animal with caution. They were much larger and stronger than their prevolutions, with fully developed rock-hard armour on their legs and backs. But the armour wasn’t used for protection anymore, one kick from one of those stone hooves could send you flying off the side of the mountain if you made the wrong move.

The closest beast was a beauty. One and a half metres tall at the shoulder, with a black sheen to its rocky hide and an earthy brown shade of glossy fur. It was wearing a cloth saddle on top of its natural stone one with a bronze name-plaque that read ‘Obsidian.’ Rai crouched down and plucked a handful of grass from the ground.

“Here Siddy, Siddy, Siddy,” He called to the Granico, “I’ve got a nice bit of foody-woody here for the Pokemon that lets me ride him for a while.”

Cree rolled her eyes but obviously ‘Sid’ wasn’t the smartest Granico in the world because he eagerly abandoned the perfectly edible patch of identical grass he’d been standing on and trotted over to the stems in Rai’s hand. As he munched the grass, the boy swung himself up onto the saddle without the slightest resistance from Sid.

He rummaged in his pocket and pulled out a small, green, spherical object. It was Cree’s Pokeball, hewn from a green Apricorn to promote friendship by Rai’s father and given to him - complete with his first Pokemon - on the day of his tenth birthday. He twisted the top off and the strange, red light poured out and enveloped Cree, drawing her into the ball.

Rai pocketed the ball and spurred his new mount on with his heel. Grabbing the reins he directed Sid towards the path that Cree had pointed out. The way down was boulder -strewn and treacherous, but the Granico had obviously been this way before as he made his way down it as sure-footedly as if he were pulling his owners plough across a cabbage field. That was a thing, what would happen when Sid’s owner realised he was missing? In the heat of the moment Rai had skimmed over the consequences of his actions. He’d have to point him in the right direction once they were on the other side and hope that the slow-witted creature would find his way back.

Eventually, they reached the precipice. The mirror cliff on the other side was about three metres away from the edge, but the yawning chasm in between made it seem like thirty. If Rai had ever watched TV then the view of the valley below would have reminded him of a Manic Manectric fall scene from PokeToons, with the thin, blue river winding between the jagged boulders at the bottom. But Rai would need more than a sign saying ‘Ouch!’ if he missed this target. Shaking with the prospect of what lay seconds away, Rai encouraged his borrowed steed as close to the edge as he dared.

“C’mon, Siddy,” he urged, “you know you can do it boy. Look, there’s a nice tasty patch of grass over on that side for you if you make it.”

That seemed to do the trick because, with a lick of his dextrous lips, the beast launched himself into the air. Unfortunately, in his haste to reach his next meal, Sid had forgotten to account for the extra wait on his back and when he made his jump only the front part of his body cleared the gap. The huge llama scrabbled with its stony hooves on the gravely surface of the edge but he was slipping fast. He couldn’t get any purchase on the side of the cliff with his back legs either - the overhang was far too shear.

“Graaa!” bleated the huge creature, his barrel chest sliding over the pebbles.

Meanwhile, Rai was frantically trying to free his feet from the stirrups so that he could climb over the llama’s head and help pull him up. But the time was up, Sid, the magnificent Granico and pride of his owner, lost his tenuous grip on the cliff and slid off into the pristine mountain air.

*** ****​

Last edited:
I swear I meant to review your last version >_< Shame on me.

Besides that, the view was grey and gloomy, rain-clouds where moving in.
I think you mean "were" ^^;. Since everything after the bolded comma is an independent clause (aka can stand on its own as a sentence), the comma should be a semicolon instead. "Rain clouds" are two separate words, as well.

The steely-coloured sea bucked and thrashed under the gale of the on-coming storm. The young man wrapped his cloak around himself to protect against the wind and the early-morning chill and re-directed his gaze inwards.
It can be tricky to know when to add a hyphen: steely-colored is fine, but oncoming and redirected are each a single unhyphenated word, while "early morning" is two words. (Is unhyphenated even a word? LOL)

Gunshot.

bucket-full
Bucketful.

He glanced downwards at the Decipoise and Blophin playing in the wake of the ship. It was one of the larger of the Pokemon that had caused the splash. Ethar smiled distractedly. Decipoise where well-known for their joyous attitude, but not even their antics could lighten his spirits. A flock of Wingull where dive-bombing a school of Remoraid just ahead and a mother Decipoise shielded her tiny, young Blophin with her fin as the boat sped past.
The wheres have returned with friends! *shot* Aside from that, a bit more description concerning the Pokemon should be added in. Not in complete, photographic detail - they're just passing, after all. But pretty much all we know about Decipoise is that they're larger than Blophin. And they have fins x3

a faint pressure on the boy's eardrums
The bolded apostrophe is needed to indicate that the eardrums belong to the boy. /nag

The white, papery garment that grew from it’s waist
No apostrophe there, unless you meant "it is waist". XP

The dark-haired boy smiled properly for the first time that day. “I know! No matter how much trouble that man was having cutting his steak, Orvel was never going to make a better job of it with a Leaf Blade.”
I love the image that put in my head. x3

Psymon chuckled. <Let’s get back inside, we’ll be arriving soon and I think I felt a rain-drop.>
Raindrop.

Concerning the bits outside the speech, they should be separated from the speech with a comma only if they can flow into the speech; otherwise, it should be a period instead. Both of these would follow that pattern:

Bob leapt onto the stage. "Let's get this party started!"
Bob leapt onto the stage, screaming, "Let's get this party started!"

With the rattling sound of a blind clattering itself open, a stream of bright sun-light burst through the glassless window of the Pachama family’s round house.
Sunlight. Glassless isn't a word - I know what you mean, but it's just a bit ... o_0-ish. Perhaps rephrasing would work?

Anybody who has ever slept in a hammock will tell you that sifting your weight as dramatically as Raimundo had just done is not advisable unless you wish to take a short, but highly comical, trip to the floor.
The bolded bit made my day. XD

Rai dropped the ladle, showering Tommy, his brother, with a goblets of gelatinous oatmeal.
... A goblets? Aren't goblets a sort of cup? Somehow I don't see goblets of oatmeal fitting with this picture. >_>;

If you managed to read that entire thing (Dx), then you have a mindset of steel. Cliffhanger for the win! Darn you for leaving me hanging xP

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Thanks for reviewing, DDT, and I will get around to catching up with your fic at some point, I promise. ^^"

Oh dear lord, how the hell did I miss all those blatant errors. >.< And yeah, I do tend to over-hyphenate (lol) a lot, I do try no to. >>" I must admit especially that first sentence looks ridiculous now that I look at it again. I'll go through and correct all of those immediately.

Introducing Decipoise and Blophin was a pain because I thought it was a perfect point to do it in terms of where they were but there was no way I could see of getting in a detailed description without ruining the flow. I'll try again though because you're right, they could be anything. XD

I'm glad you appreciate the comic touches in there. ^^ Though this will definitely be an adventure/mystery first and a comic fic second, unlike JAJ, I will try and put in some funnies whenever is appropriate and possible. ;D

Oh, and I think I meant globules. lol, goblets of oatmeal would certainly be an interesting thing to be showered in. XD

If I can redeem myself slightly, the rest of the chapters have been much more thoroughly re-written so hopefully (and I'll definitely reread them again) there won't be quite so many horrifically obvious mistakes from now on. DX

Thanks again for the really helpful review, and I hope you'll continue with future chapters. ^^ Oh, and if you wanna know anything more about Cuaro itself, check out our newly remodelled site. ;)

EDIT: Corrections are done and I've added a brief extra bit about Decipoise and Blophin so that you'll at least be able to tell what they're based on if nothing else. ^^ Also, Chapter 2: "Thunder and Lightning" will be up in the next couple of days, so keep checking back. ;)

Last edited:

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Over 130 views and one comment? Come on guys, where's the C+C?

Anyway, it's time for Chapter 2 so let's-a-go!

Chapter 2: Thunder and Lightning.

Riven Peak - Zach

“I hope you appreciate this, Reafear,” mumbled the white-haired old man, stumbling up the last section of the not-so-beaten path of the old Route 15 with his walking stick clattering on the rough ground. It had been a gruelling hike, taking Zach the better part of three days, but the climb to Riven Peak would be worth it: looking to the South, he could see that the storm he’d been waiting for was on the way.

As an Electric-type Gym Leader, Zach had a responsibility to raise his Pokemon to be as tough as they could possibly be. This meant training and evolving his Pokemon to their strongest forms. Unfortunately, one species of Pokemon that lived in his Gym was notorious for its particularities of evolution.

Reafear, though reputably very wise and knowledgeable, were almost entirely immobile due to the fact that they were basically elongated balls of feathers; but for the piercing eyes and equally piercing beak at one end. The Reafear of the Tempest Gym were kept in one of the cavernous cellars dug into the mountain beneath the Gym, where they hibernated peacefully in preparation for evolution and were tended personally by Zach alone.

‘Kept,’ however, is possibly the wrong term as the Reafear had resided in the mountain’s caves since long before the human colonisation of the mountains. The Pokemon had been discovered shortly after the village was founded, and - after Zach set up the Gym years later - he decided to study the strange Pokemon’s ways. He eventually discovered that the Pokemon spent most of their time gathering static electricity from the air, which, due to the almost constant stream of small thunderstorms which gave the range its name, was not in short supply. However, further research indicated that a thunderstorm of immense power was needed to pump the Pokemon with enough power to make the final leap into their next evolutionary stage.

Unfortunately for the elderly Leader, all the great storms of the Tempest Mountains were attracted towards the highest peak in the range. Towering over all others by at least fifty metres, this was Riven Peak; a mountain struck by lightning over and over again for so long that after a particularly violent storm many centuries ago, the mountain’s peak had completely split in two, leaving a jagged crack clearly visible from the Tempest Village. Of course, legends told a different story of a mighty battle between the minions of Rayquaza - the spirit of the air and Groudon - the beast of the earth, in which a valiant Zephound had laid down its life in one mighty strike at the monster’s greatest strong-hold - using all his energy to tear the mountain in half and allow Rayquaza to finish the battle once and for all.

The end result of all this research and superstition was that Zach was currently attempting to carry a forty-five kilogram ball of feathers up the side of the most inaccessible mountain in the whole of the Cuaro region.

Being a wild Pokemon simply in the custody of the Gym, the Reafear didn’t have a pokeball. Though Zach could quite easily have battled and caught it himself, the Reafear both refused to battle and to stay in the several balls that Zach had thrown at it on the off-chance it was too indifferent to care.

Eventually though, the odd-looking pair finally made it to the base of the gargantuan crack in the side of the mountain. Zach straightened up, grimacing as his vertebrae realigned themselves, and let the well-padded Pokemon slip off onto the scorched ground. He was just about to breath an immense sigh of relief when he stopped stock-still. He could hear voices.

Though the acoustics of the massive gouge in the mountain were certainly strange the voices definitely sounded close, and they were not the voices of anyone he knew - nobody from the village would be stupid enough to climb up here without good reason, of that he was sure.

As the voices came closer, Zach darted behind a outcrop of rock. He was just in time too, as two strangely clothed men appeared from around a larger outcrop further inside the mountain. They were wearing black and white uniforms with gold patterns, one was relatively plain, but the other had a stylishly cut-off sleeve and a silver sash across his chest. They both wore dark glasses but Zach was fairly sure he wouldn’t have recognised them anyway; nobody he knew had the money or stupidity to dress like that. Zach had to stop himself from scoffing at the more flamboyantly dressed man’s floppy, spiked fringe of light-brown hair that hung over one of his already-concealed eyes.

“As I suspected, Sir, this place is chock-full of Thunderstones,” said the more plainly-dressed man to the other as he walked ever closer to where Zach was hiding.

“Yeah,” said the other. “I’d say this scouting mission has been a thorough success.”

So they were after the Thunderstones, thought Zach. Zach himself had known that the rare crystals that facilitated the evolution of certain species of Pokemon could be found here for some time - in fact, he’d used them himself on several occasions during his training - but he had a feeling that these goons weren’t just after two or three.

“Absolutely, Mr. Orion, Sir, should we be heading back now?” said the man who had spoken. He trailed slightly behind the other and sort of skittered around him in a permanent bow as though to accentuate his colleague’s power over him.

“Not just yet, grunt, you have yet to mark out the route for the road. After all, if we’re gonna start mining anytime soon, construction on a through route from the City must begin immediately.”

“Yes, Sir, absolutely, Sir.”

“If we find any more precious minerals up here, it could even become a new highway - Xerxes will reward me greatly for finding it.”

“You mean us, Sir?”

“I know what I mean, Grunt,” said the leading man, turning to face his partner. He was obviously unaccustomed to his inferiors speaking out of turn.

“Yes, Sir, of course you did, Sir.”

Zach couldn’t believe it, taking Thunderstones without asking the locals was bad enough, but what was all that about mining? And who did they think they were, planning a road without so much as a passing query with those it would affect most?

“Hmm, grunt?” said the man called Orion, “did you feel a raindrop just then?”

“No, Sir, but I did see some dark clouds moving in earlier,” answered the other man, glancing up at the slash of sky high above.

“Ugh, typical. Do something about it, would you, it’s bad enough that the altitude makes me nauseous, I’m not getting wet as well.”

“Yes, Sir, right away, Sir,” the underling reached into the inside pocket of his strange uniform, and - to Zach’s surprise - brought out a Pokeball. He tossed it into to the air and after a brief flash of white light, a small, grey Pokemon appeared floating in midair in front of the man.

“Castform, Sunny Day,” ordered the Pokemon’s trainer and the grey blob obeyed, launching what looked like some kind of bright flare up into the sky.

The glowing missile rocketed out past the shattered peak of the mountain and vanished out of sight amongst the already encroaching thunderclouds. A moment later there was a bright flash of light and Zach, who had been watching the whole process from his hiding place, winced and shielded his eyes with his hands. When he eventually blinked away the black spots from in front of his eyes, the whole sky had transformed; black clouds were replaced by completely clear blue skies above the opening in the mountain. The Pokemon too seemed to have transformed. Its previously nondescript body had become a vibrant orange and some sort of jelly-like substance coated its entire frail-looking form.

“That Castform of yours may not be standard issue,” remarked Orion, “but it certainly has its uses.”

That’s the final straw, thought Zach. Not only were this pair of nitwits planning to hollow-out this amazing natural monument looking for precious stones and wealth-bringing minerals, but they had taken away the whole reason for Zach’s strenuous journey, and Reafear’s last chance of evolving for what could be months.

He itched to march out to the goons and confront them directly but, to his extreme annoyance, he realised that he had neglected to bring any Pokemon except Reafear with him on his journey. The Reafear itself was curled up in the shadow of the rock that Zach had been hiding behind and had so far gone un-noticed by the men. Expertly masking his disdain, Zach decided his own aggression would have to make up for that of his absent Pokemon.

“Oi, you two, by what authority do you presume to foul this sacred place with your presence?” he asked the two men, forcefully announcing his presence as he strode out to give them both a peace of his mind. He paused to make sure he had the men’s attention and then continued, “You, with the stupid hair-cut, you call yourself Orion but what of the celestial beauty of this landscape? How can you even contemplate building roads and mining out this amazing structure?” he shouted, letting his passion find the words.

In reaction, Orion’s eyebrows slowly rose above the top of his sunglasses. He turned to his partner, “Grunt,-” he started, but was cut-off by Zach drawing in breath for another proclamation, but his interruption only served to frustrate Orion further.

“No, old man,” he sneered, casually removing his shades to reveal cold, indifferent, grey eyes, “I think you should stop your ridiculous rant right there and tell me by what authority you are here.”

Now Zach was normally a distinguished figure, respected throughout the Tempest Mountains, but after being affronted in such a bare-faced, arrogant manner in his own home, this was rather lost in his next outburst.

“By what authority!?” he roared, his tanned face turning beetroot red, “I am Zachario Boltone, Gym Leader of Tempest Village!! I have been a master of the art of Pokemon training for over 50 years and I will not stand for such insolence!!”

“I see, the Gym Leader,” Orion rolled his eyes as Zach’s attention turned to his partner.

“And what of you, “Grunt,” are you just a mindless drone? Who are you to play with the weather for your own convenience? Such techniques are for use in small-scale battles and no-when else!”

“Um, I-I,” stuttered the quivering man.

“If you have quite finished,” said Orion, “then I think we’ll be on our way.”

“What do you mean, ‘on your way?’” asked Zach, flustered at the apparent lack of effect his speech had had.

“Grunt, see to it that this insufferable OAP does not cause further trouble with our development,” instructed Orion.

“But Sir, he’s a Gym Leader, his Pokemon must be much higher levels than mine,” panicked the nervous henchman.

“And what Pokemon are those, Grunt?” said Orion smugly.

“…” answered the grunt.

“Exactly: no bag, no belt, no Pokeballs in sight. Even if he is a Gym Leader, this doddering old fool has neglected to bring so much as a Magikarp with him.”

Orion man pulled out his own Pokeball and tossed it into the air. A large, brown bird with a spiked crest remarkably similar to its owner’s materialised in front of him, accompanied by a strange shower of glittering light.

The grunt just had time to say “Then of course, Sir,” before his partner replaced his sunglasses and jumped onto the back of the bird before soaring off through the gap in the mountain. After watching Orion’s rapid exit, the liberated henchman turned his attention to Zach.

“You have to understand, Old Timer, I don’t want to do this,” he sneered, “but orders are orders.”

Zach glanced around nervously, the man made no move to reach for another Pokemon and, though reasonably tall, he didn’t look like the brawling type. So exactly how was he going to be dispatched? The hovering Pokemon certainly didn’t seem up to the task even if Zach didn’t have any Pokemon to protect him. The Castform had been bobbing around aimlessly since its last order and didn’t seem interested in much that was going on.

“Now that Orion’s gone, I think it’s time for another change in the weather,” said the grunt. “Castform, Rain Dance!” he shouted at his Pokemon.

Using whatever force kept it up in the air, the Castform started whizzing around in mid-air in ever-decreasing circles. As the name of the attack suggested, it seemed to be doing some sort of crazy dance. Suddenly, it halted its spinning and turned its face towards the sky. As it did so, the thunderclouds from earlier suddenly reappeared above the crack and the orange jelly around the Castform’s head was replaced by blue, which reshaped itself into the semblance of a raindrop.

The man seemed very pleased with himself, “Now, Castform,” he ordered, “use Thunder!”

The little Pokemon turned its attention to the only possible target, Zach, and with a crackle of static from around the blue jelly a massive bolt of electricity screamed down from the clouds spiralling above.

As soon as the attack was called, Zach knew what was coming and he braced himself for what he knew was one of the strongest of all electric attacks. He heard the almost instantaneous clap of thunder, he saw the entire crevice light up - but he did not feel the coursing agony of one hundred million volts - because, to the surprise of both humans and Pokemon, the bolt - which had been perfectly on target - curved away from Zach and seemingly embedded itself in the ground not ten feet away.

But Zach knew that it had not gone directly into the ground. He knew what had attracted the strike and he knew what would happen next. He’d been waiting for that bright glow growing in the shadow for years and the time was finally here. The glow expanded and diverged until the Reafear’s body was lost amongst the searing light. Suddenly, with one last flash, the glow disappeared, but the creature within still shone like the sun. The energy of evolution still coursing through its veins, the creature turned what must have been its head towards its trainer’s assailants and loosed its own Thunderbolt towards them. The man and the Pokemon were thrown backwards onto the ground, stunned but not dead. Then, the shining beast swooped towards Zach and the elderly man found himself being carried out of the dark crack and back towards his village.

As the beast flew over the rugged mountain-tops, its glow slowly faded to reveal its new form. But Zach had little time to admire his new Pokemon as he noticed something strange going on in the distance. He couldn’t see who it was, but somebody seemed to be attempting to climb down the side of the East Peak of the village on a Granico. As the figure reached a protruding ledge, Zach noticed the stream of Mareep pouring slowly across the bridge and realised what whoever it was was going to try to do.

“Surely they’re not…” he mumbled to himself.

His mount heard him and followed his gaze. It must have made the same deduction as he had because it suddenly accelerated with one flap of its enormous wings. As it flew over the Gym, it let out an ear-splitting sound that was somewhere between a screech and a roar. In response, what looked like some sort of green cloud rose up and began to tail them.

The great creature slowed enough as it passed one of the villages precipices that Zach was just able to slide from its back, then, it folded in its wings and dropped like a stone to the incident below.

*** ***​

Approximately fifty metres from certain death - Raimundo Pachama.

“WAAAAaaaaAAAAAHHHHhhhh!!!!” screamed the terrified young boy as he sailed through the air with his eyes clenched shut against the spiralling, jagged rocks he knew were rushing up to give him a very painful welcome to the world beyond.

“GRrAAAAaaaoooOOOORRr!!!!” screamed the terrified Granico as he realised that he would never eat that oh-so-juicy grass he’d seen on the cliff on the other side of the drop.

“WAAAAaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!- Ooff!” went the boy’s body. Rai’s descent had been abruptly stopped, but not as a abruptly as he’d thought it would, and with none of the agonising pain he’d expected to feel.

“GRRrraaaaooooo!!!- Ruh!?” went the llama as the rushing in his ears gradually slowed and was replaced by a sharp pain from the hair along his back.

“Swoosh….Swoosh….Swoosh,” a nice sound, almost peaceful; not one you’d expect to hear if you’d just died; and to Rai’s surprise, he seemed to not only have stopped falling but to actually be accelerating upwards. Bravely, he decided it was about time to open his eyes and find out just what was really going on.

The sight that met the boy’s eyes was as perplexing as it was magnificent. The sides of the canyon were sweeping past at a terrific pace and two enormous, green-feathered wings were beating the air on either side of his position on the similarly cloaked back of a creature that he seemed to be riding. In front of him was the creature’s head. It was mostly hidden by a large, elaborate crest, but a viciously-hooked beak could just be glimpsed between the long feathers and lightning-bolt shaped appendages. Behind, a similarly adorned tail corkscrewed through the air, its emerald scales glinting as they rose out of the shadows between the mountains.

As the pair cleared the side of the gorge and climbed up past the part of the mountain Rai had ridden down on Sid, the beautiful, winged creature gradually slowed until it was hovering over the ledge where the bridge joined the side that the boy had been trying to reach.

Standing there, smiling as always and with his zany white hair stuck straight up on end as usual was Zach: Leader of the Tempest Village Gym and Rai’s boss.

“You, Boy, are late for work!” called the elderly Leader, tilting his brown, wrinkled face up to the morning sun and squinting up at the boy on the great, green creature.

Rai’s mount wheeled round and came into land on the stony ground of the wide ledge, ruffling the Leader’s multicoloured caftan with the powerful beats of its wings.

As he slid off of the feathery creature’s back, it coiled its scaly tail underneath itself and folded its enormous wings along its sides. Rai stepped backwards to get a better look at the thing from the front and find out exactly what had saved him.

In essence, it had the general shape of a huge, green bird, except for the fact that it had no legs, and its body was far more serpentine. Its body tapered from where its waist would have been to a long, whip-lash tail which, as Rai had seen earlier, was covered in bright green scales that also spread up its front to cover the creatures belly. The rest of its body and its wings were covered in dark-green feathers. Its face was dominated by the razor-sharp, hooked bill which was lined with small, jutting fangs, and a pair of indigo eyes that peered down at the amazed young boy. Also observed by Raimundo as he had ridden the beast up from certain death were the magnificent crests that adorned the creatures crown and the tip of its tail with their long, lustrous feathers and golden lightning-bolts.

“Isn’t she a beaut’?” remarked Zach as he came up behind the awestruck Raimundo.

“She’s one of your Pokemon?!” asked Rai, surprised, “But I’ve never seen her before, and I‘ve worked at the Gym for almost a whole year now.”

“Yes, indeed she is,” replied the leader, trying to conceal his pride, “and the reason you haven’t seen her would be that she was a Reafear until a few minutes ago.”

“I thought Reafear only evolved after especially violent storms,” puzzled Rai.

“Yes,” replied Zach, “it supplies them with energy they need to make the transition to Ampifear.”

“Ampifear, so that’s her name…” muttered Rai, still gob-smacked at the amazing creatures beauty.

“Actually, that’s why I was out at Riven Peak, but-” started Zach.

“Uh, Leader, what’s that noise?” interrupted Rai.

Stunned by the events of the Ampifear’s appearance and life-saving flight, Rai had completely forgotten about his inadequately-agile steed. Turning around to face the gorge, however, his fears were dispelled before they were realised as, preceded by a mad fluttering mass of green feathers, Sid the Granico appeared slowly and laboriously over the edge of the precipice

“Of course, said Zach, continuing on as if the sight before them was completely expected, “a Pokemon such as Ampifear doesn’t come soaring straight over a crowded Gym without attracting reinforcements - a whole flock of them in fact.”

Sid was not happy. As well as almost dying once already that morning, his carefully trimmed fur was messed-up, sticking on end and even ripped out in places. His back hurt dreadfully and his carefully polished rock plates were all scratched-up and even defecated in places. And all because of the forty or so blasted, tiny birds that were gripping him everywhere possible with their blasted, tiny claws.

Exhausted, bedraggled, and their miniature wings thoroughly spent, the entire flock of little, green birds released their grip and dropped their load onto the pebbly ground before collapsing onto the same ground themselves. The whole flock wheezed and gasped for breath in the thin mountain air.

Sid stood, legs splayed, knees shaking, his previously coifed fringe hanging in tatters in front of his big, brown eyes. After a brief pause, he flicked his mane over his neck, turned on the spot and trotted as dignifiedly as possible back down the mountain to find the tuft grass he’d seen earlier from the ledge.

As the Granico’s brown-haired rump disappeared over the lip of the precipice, both Zach and Raimundo burst into fits of laughter on the gravel floor. At one disapproving glare from the Ampifear, however, the two suppressed their amusement and wiped the tears from their eyes.

“Ampikeet sure are strong for their size, aren’t they?” said Zach, once he’d regained his composure.

Rai, nodded his head mutely, still chuckling at the image of the man-handled Granico and the dozens of tiny birds.

“But I suppose they would be, being the first stage of what eventually becomes Ampifear over here,” continued Zach, pointing a thumb over his shoulder at the massive, coiled bird.

Rai’s silent laugh caught in his throat as he gasped in surprise. “You mean..?”

“Yep, every one of the Gym’s ‘mysterious’ Reafear was once a plain old Ampikeet.”

Stunned by the ups and downs and streams of information of the last few minutes, Rai wandered over to the scattered pile of green fluff that was Sid’s saviours.

“I suppose we should help them back to the Gym,” said Zach, appearing at Rai’s shoulder again. Rai agreed and the two crouched down to assist their valiant helpers. The tiny birds hopped eagerly onto the boy and elder’s arms and clothes, their miniature crests bobbing on the tops of their heads. The birds, which were part of the huge flock that made their home on the cross-bars and struts of the Gym’s enormous conducting pylon, had become so much a part of the scenery for Rai that he’d never contemplated any relationship of theirs with the mysterious Reafear or the - until this morning - practically mythical Ampifear. All he knew about them was that they ate absurd amounts of bird-seed (which he had to scatter in the Gym’s yard every morning) for birds of such diminutive stature. Each one was eight inches tall from the top of their head to the tip of their stubby tail and they had bushy, lightning-shaped eye-brow tufts that gave them a permanent scowl that, now that he’d seen their relation, he saw mimicked the Ampifear’s perfectly.

Together, with those who failed to find purchase on the pair’s clothes hopping wearily along behind them, Zach and Rai carried the flock up two stone staircases to the Gym, where they fluttered off up to their favourite roosting spots.

Suddenly, something occurred to Rai and he spun around to face the direction they’d come from. From his position - the Gym was situated on the very top of the West Peak - he could see all the way down to the bridge, but, after not seeing what he was looking for there, he looked further afield to the jagged horizon. There, a dark shape was flapping off into the south between two distant mountains.

“Leader, Sir,” asked Rai, “I thought you said Ampifear was your Pokemon.”

“Yes, Boy, it belonged to me once, if you can truly own such a thing.”

“Then where’s it going?”

Zach sighed, “I could not hope to contain a creature as wild as that. My cramped little dojo is no place for a Pokemon of the sky,” the wizened old man bleared dreamily after the Pokemon he’d cared for for so long. The boy looked at him with such a worried expression on his face, but he could not possibly know the pain in him, he was not to know that the Leader had loved the Reafear like a member of his own family and that he had saved not just the life of Rai and the Granico that morning but Zach’s too.

“Now, Boy,” said Zach, straightening his back and turning to look at Rai face on, “Come inside, we have a long discussion ahead of us.”

***​

The short man with his frizzy, white hair strode purposefully, and quickly for his stature, along the Gym’s gloomy corridors. His sandals flopped noisily against the dusty floor and his young assistant had to practically jog after him whilst he feebly tried to grovel at the same time.

“Leader, Sir, I’m sorry I was so late. It won’t happen again, I swear. It’s just that my brother snores and, and-”

Zach stopped dead and Rai almost ran into the back of him.

“Boy!” he shouted, turning around to look at Rai with a eyes so intense that they terrified the young boy. He had seen the Leader angry a few times before, but he was generally jovial, almost childlike - his smile was renowned throughout the village. But he wasn’t angry now, no, the look that scared Rai so much was fear itself. There is something about seeing someone you depend on scared themselves that petrifies you to your very core.

“L-l-leader, I-?” Rai started.

“I have not called down to the cellar to talk about your tardiness, Boy!” boomed Zach.

Looking around, Rai saw that they really were in one of the underground passages, he’d been so caught up in worrying that he hadn’t noticed that they were descending or that the wattle and daub walls had become chiselled mountain bedrock.

Suddenly, Zach’s features softened once more, and a tentative smile appeared on his face, but it was so fake and his eyes remained so deplorable that it looked more like a grimace to the stunned Rai.

“Please, Rai,” he said quietly, “come in here with me.” He waved towards the low, wooden door that he’d stopped in front of. He turned the ancient, rusty handle and beckoned Rai inside.

Behind the nondescript door was the most extraordinary room Rai had ever seen. In a village of one-room huts and stone-walled terraces, the Gym was obviously the most impressive building, but Rai thought he’d explored all its secrets in the time he’d been there. How had he walked past this room so many times without once wondering what lay behind it?

“Welcome to my study, Rai,” said Zach.

The room looked to be a standard size, but then, the far wall was cloaked in darkness; there was no telling what lay behind the curtain of shadow. Only the section nearest the door was lit up by an electrical chandelier in the domed, stone ceiling. In the small pool of light was a large, mahogany desk with a reading lamp and various papers scattered about it. On the walls were rows and rows of shelves, some made of the same wood as the desk and others hewn from the rock itself. Some of the shelves were filled with books of all shapes and sizes, but the majority were lined with more Pokeballs than Rai had ever seen. There were the standard red and white kind, and some carved from apricorns like Cree’s. The multitude had a black top with a yellow bar but some more obscure varieties were dotted around; green and purple ones, blue ones with black criss-cross patterns, and Rai even swore he saw one with a small, white ‘M’.

In one of the walls, there was a dark alcove, with a few pieces of straw poking out into the light. A low growling sound emanated from the space and then a pair of bright, glowing, red and yellow eyes flicked open in the darkness.

Suddenly, from behind the desk came a joyful barking sound and a blue and yellow canine came sprinting around the side of it and ran, skidding on the smooth stone floor, up to Zach, its tongue lolling playfully out of his fanged mouth. The dog jumped up at Zach, putting his paws up almost on his shoulders and barked happily in his wrinkled face.

“Down, Lightning, down Boy,” said the Leader, smiling and trying to brush off the Pokemon, who was at least as tall as his trainer.

Suddenly, from the alcove in the wall, jumped a large, black, cat-like Pokemon. It leapt clear across the room in one mammoth jump and landed in front of Rai. It growled low in its throat and stared at the boy with its all-seeing eyes. Its fur dark fur crackled with static electricity and its gaze seemed to root Rai to the spot.

“Thunder,” said Zach to the Pokemon, “back down, Rai is a friend. Okay?”

The cat gave one last growl and then padded over to rub itself against Zach’s back, purring contentedly. As soon as its stare was broken, Zach found he could move again.

“Sir, who are these Pokemon?” he asked now that he could move his lips.

“These are Thunder and Lightning. Not imaginative names, I know, but when you’re ten years old you don’t really think long about that sort of thing,” he smiled.

“So they’re your first two Pokemon? Wow. What are they?”

“Well, Lightning here is a Manectric,” he said, gesturing towards the yellow and blue dog. It had a large crest of vertical, yellow hair on its head and sharp, white claws on its four feet that skittered on the floor when it moved.

“And Thunder is a Luxray,” he continued, stroking the spiked, black mane of the large, cat. It had blue and yellow striped patches on the backs of its legs and a yellow, star-shaped end to its tail.

“Why haven’t I met them before, Sir? I normally prepare your team before challenges and I’d of thought you’d use your strongest Pokemon as much as possible.”

“Well, Boy, these guys are almost as old as me, and I’m afraid that their battling days are long since over.”

“But Lightning was running like mad when it saw you, and what about Thunder’s jump?” exclaimed Rai.

“Oh, they certainly have enough energy in them to show their love when they want to, but a sustained battle is just too much.”

The two Pokemon hung their heads in shame. Manectric quickly recovered and resumed his goofy smile, but Thunder walked back over to his alcove and, showing his age with the difficulty it caused him, clambered back up to his alcove.

“Now Rai, you mentioned challenges,” started Zach, walking over to pull up a swivel-chair by his desk and motioning for Rai to do the same, “that is partly what I wanted to talk to you about. When was the last challenge I had, do you remember?”

“Well,” said Rai, clearing a few stray sheets of paper from a chair he’d dug out of the chaos around the desk, “there was that newbie from Youthville a few months ago and before that…”

“In actual fact, there have been five challenges in the year you’ve been here. I normally get at least three times as many as that,” answered Zach.

“Really, what do you think’s wrong? Do you think it’s the location, I mean we are at the top of a mountain,” Rai reasoned.

Zach chuckled absentmindedly, “No Rai, I think something much more serious is going on. This morning, I was at Riven Peak and I ran into two strangers who were talking about building some kind of road through the mountains to get at the ‘resources’ in Riven Peak.”

“But that would ruin the landscape! As well as disturbing all the wild Pokemon!” Rai exclaimed.

“Exactly, I need to find out what is going on. I know somebody in Youthville that may be able to help us, but unfortunately I’m getting old, Rai, and that climb up to Riven Peak was almost too much for me. The trip down to the foothills and back might just finish me off.”

Rai looked embarrassedly down at his feet. Zach got up out of his chair, leaning on his stick, and turned towards the far back wall.

“Come with me, Boy,” he said.

Rai caught up with the Leader and as they reached the edge of the pool of light cast by the chandelier. Zach he clapped his leathery hands together. The sound reverberated unexpectedly and a light flicked on far in the distance, throwing just enough light to convince Rai that the room he was in was much larger than he originally thought.

As his eyes adjusted to the light, Rai began to see details in the gloom. Directly beneath the beam that shone straight down from the ceiling far above was a large, flat hump of stone that just about broke the surface of an enormous, black lake that stretched out to the pockmarked stone walls far away in the darkness. As the light bounced off the tiny ripples on the surface, Rai gazed down into the inky depths. Somewhere down there, he thought he could see other lights, slowly rising up to the surface.

“Sir, are there Pokemon in there?” asked Rai, surprised.

“Well,” said Zach, “some of the Pokemon I accumulated on my journey are partial to the deepest of oceans, but when I set up the Gym, I found that they liked the waters of this lake just as much.”

Rai stared in awe as little, shining baubles on the end of bluish antenna bobbed around at the surface of the lake.

“Journeys are wonderful things Rai,” said Zach, staring nostalgically into the distance. “You meet new people and Pokemon, you see new towns and cities and you make friends along the way. It sounds corny but I think everyone should go on a journey at some point, even if it is just to the next village.”

Rai turned to face his mentor. “What are you saying, Leader?” he asked, the fact that he knew what was coming plastered clearly over his face.

“Rai, I want you to go to Youthville for me,” said Zach, fulfilling Rai’s hopes.

Though overjoyed, deep-down, Rai realistically wondered why the elder hadn’t asked one of the older, more experienced, villagers to help him. As if he’d read his mind, Zach answered his question before it passed his lips.

“Rai, I have asked you for several reasons,” he said. “One: you have your own Pokemon, Cree should be very useful on your trip. Two: you’re old enough now to take on some responsibility. And three: you are the only one in the village with nothing better to do.”

Rai couldn’t help smiling as Zach reached up to put his arm around his young protégé’s shoulder.

“What do you say?” he asked.

“When do I leave?” replied Rai.

*** ***​

Last edited:
Hey, no problem. Glad I could help :3 And comedy is fun, no?

Before I launch into this chapter, I belatedly noticed a little error in chapter 1 that I missed the first time around:
He couldn’t get any purchase on the side of the cliff with his back legs either - the overhang was far too shear.
I believe you meant "sheer". With an A, shear means "to cut or shave hair", which you probably weren't going for. (Unless you were setting up a pun there ... you know, shear, hair, Granico ... *shot*)

Moving along to chapter 2:
‘Kept,’ however, is possibly the wrong term as the Reafear had resided in the mountain’s caves since long before the human colonisation of the mountains. The Pokemon had been discovered shortly after the village was founded, and - after Zach set up the Gym years later - he decided to study the strange Pokemon’s ways. He eventually discovered that the Pokemon spent most of their time gathering static electricity from the air, which, due to the almost constant stream of small thunder storms which gave the range its name, was not in short supply. However, further research indicated that a thunderstorm of immense power was needed to pump the Pokemon with enough power to make the final leap into their next evolutionary stage.

Unfortunately for the elderly Leader, all the great storms of the Tempest Mountains were attracted towards the highest peak in the range. Towering over all others by at least fifty metres, this was Riven Peak; a mountain struck by lightning over and over again for so long that after a particularly violent storm many centuries ago, the mountain’s peak had completely split in two, leaving a jagged crack clearly visible from the Tempest Village. Of course, legends told a different story of a mighty battle between the minions of Rayquaza - the spirit of the air, and Groudon - the beast of the earth, in which a valiant Zephound had laid down its life in one mighty strike at the monster’s greatest stronghold - using all its energy to tear the mountain in half and allow Rayquaza to finish the battle once and for all.

The end result of all this research and superstition was that Zach was currently attempting to carry a forty-five kilogram ball of feathers up the side of the most inaccessible mountain in the whole of the Cuaro region.
Thunderstorms. I love how it all leads up to such an anticlimactic note XD. The evolution method is neat, too. Would this be a location-based evolution (Eevee to Leafeon at Moss Rock, etc.) with a better explanation on why that particular location is needed?

He could here voices.
Hear.

They both wore dark glasses but Zach was fairly sure he wouldn’t have recognised them anyway; nobody he knew had the money or stupidity to dress like that.
XD

as he walked ever closer to where Zach was hiding.

“Yeah,” said the other, “I’d say this scouting mission has been a thorough success.”
Bolded comma should be a period.

He trailed slightly behind the other and sort of skittered around him in a permanent bow as though to accentuate his colleague's power over him.

“I know what I mean, Grunt.” said the leading man, turning to face his partner.
And bolded period should be a comma.

“By what authority!?” he roared, his tanned face turning beetroot red,
Bolded comma should be a period. lol, deja vu.
Beetroot? I don't know if their roots are red. Wouldn't beet all on its own work fine anyway? o_0

“And what Pokemon are those, Grunt?” said Orion smugly.

“Now that Orion’s gone, I think it’s time for another change in the weather,” said the grunt.

the orange jelly around the Castform’s head was replaced by blue, which reshaped itself into the semblance of a raindrop.

Suddenly, with one last flash, the glow disappeared, but the creature within still shone like the sun.

It must have made the same deduction as he had because it suddenly accelerated with one flap of its enormous wings. As it flew over the Gym, it let out an earsplitting sound that was somewhere between a screech and a roar.

ruffling the Leader’s multicoloured caftan with the powerful beats of its wings.

“Ampifear, so that’s her name…” muttered Rai, still gob-smacked at the amazing creature's beauty.

“Of course," said Zach,

Rai, nodded his head mutely, still chuckling at the image of the manhandled Granico and the dozens of tiny birds.
Bolded comma should be deleted.

Rai’s silent laugh caught in his throat as he gasped in surprise.You mean?”
I would suggest adding an ellipses between mean and the question mark. Otherwise it sounds like Rai's asking Zach if he's a mean person. XD

Zach and Rai carried the flock up two stone staircases to the Gym, where they fluttered off up to their favourite roosting spots.

after not seeing what he was looking for there, he looked further afield to the jagged horizon.

Zach chuckled absentmindedly.

The trip down to the foothills and back might just finish me off.”

“Come with me, Boy,” he said.

“Journeys are wonderful things Rai,” said Zach, staring nostalgically into the distance.You meet new people and Pokemon,

Rai turned to face his mentor.

“Rai, I have asked you for several reasons,” he said.One; you have your own Pokemon, Cree should be very useful on your trip. Two; you’re old enough now to take on some responsibility. And three; you are the only one in the village with nothing better to do.”
Bolded semicolons should be changed to colons or commas.

*looks over long post* ... DAMMIT, I AM SUCH A NITPICKER. DX

And the action heats up! I'm not sure how Zach could forget to bring any of his own Pokemon, but hey, it helped with Ampifear's evolution, so it all works out. Ampifear is seriously badass, btw. And LOL at Sid and the Ampikeet.

Oh, and Zach has a lake in his study! That is fricking awesome.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
DX I reread it as well! I'm glad I've got you nitpicking because I apparently just don't spot that sort of thing. >_<

Beetroot? I don't know if their roots are red. Wouldn't beet all on its own work fine anyway? o_0
We call it beetroot in Europe, and it's actually the root you eat anyway. :p

And the action heats up! I'm not sure how Zach could forget to bring any of his own Pokemon, but hey, it helped with Ampifear's evolution, so it all works out. Ampifear is seriously badass, btw. And LOL at Sid and the Ampikeet.
Yeah... Elyvorg and I had a bit of a dispute about that in the first version of this fic but really the trip was just supposed to be a routine climb to Riven Peak (as he says, he's done it plenty of times before to get Thunder Stones), and anyway, the scene doesn't work if he has any other Pokemon. XP

And thanks for the compliment on Ampifear. ^^ Seeing as there isn't a page for it on the project site yet, here's the picture:
The Ampikeet Line.
They were designed by me but the picture itself is by Team_Magma93, the co-creator of the Havoc and Serenity Project.

And lol, who wouldn't build their study in a cave with an underground lake if you could? XD

Also, in case you were wondering what he looks like/why he has such crazy hair, here's Orion's page. [WARNING, contains serious spoilers!]

Last edited:

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Time for Chapter 3 ^^

If there are other people out there reading this, please post so I know DDT isn't my only reader. :<

Chapter 3: Of Disagreements, Dark-Types and Disembarkation.

Souhgem Port - Ethar and Psymon.

<So this is the Cuaro region?> remarked Psymon, his big, opalescent eyes clearly showing his dissapointment.

“Yep,” said Ethar, who was practically skipping ahead between the huge, rusty containers. “I mean,” he added quickly, “obviously the whole region isn’t like this.”

Souhgem Port was a town of two sides. The one side with its gaudy pier, souvenir shops and expensive restaurants was the ‘Gateway to Cuaro’ that was renowned throughout the rest of the world. But all this glitz and glamour hid the original and vital function of the port - the imports and exports that kept the black, industrial heart of the region running smoothly. After quickly diverting from the general flow of passengers towards the bar district shortly after they disembarked, Psymon and Ethar were currently experiencing the rather more dingy side of Souhgem that not many tourists got to see, but then, Ethar and Psymon weren’t your average tourists.

<I was expecting restaurants, bars, a drunkard or two,> muttered Psymon telepathically as he picked his way around the puddles. <Anything but these endless metal boxes.>

The brief flash of morning sun he’d glimpsed as they left the boat had vanished as quickly as it had appeared and had done little to lift the damp and gloom from the maze of makeshift paths between the towers of crates that made up the port’s container yard.

<There are/i] restaurants, aren’t there?> asked Psymon, his cynicism turning slowly to desperation. <You promised me a decent meal after all that ship food.>

“I’m sorry, Psymon,” replied Ethar. “We still need to avoid large crowds of people. And besides, I don’t want to run into any of the ship staff looking for money.”

<You mean you didn’t pay for the cruise?!> exclaimed the psychic.

“No, of course I paid for the cruise,” said Ethar, shocked. “It’s just that I think I may have accidentally packed one of the ship’s towels by mistake.” He turned as he walked and grinned at his partner.

Psymon rolled his pink eyes. <You know,> he said, <for a guy on the run from pretty much everyone we’ve ever encountered, you have got to be the least rebellious person I have ever met.>

*** ***​

Tempest Village - Rai and Cree.

After Zach had been assigned Rai his quest (or at least that’s how he liked to think of it) he had run straight home across the now vacated bridge to pick up supplies for his journey.

Rai’s family all reacted in different ways to the news of his departure when he burst into their little home. His mother had started reeling off a great list of advice (including such gems as, “Make sure you don’t walk off any cliffs now,” and “You will remember your thermal underwear, won’t you?”). In contrast, his father had started blubbering into his home-cooked lunch and Tommy had immediately asked his mother if he could have the larger hammock while his brother was away. On the whole though, they were all very supportive in their own ways and together loaded up the soon-to-be adventurer with enough food, clothes and uncountable other provisions to last him ten times the week or so it would take him to get to Youthville and back.

By the time his mother had finished her speech and Rai had calmed his emotional father, the sun was setting behind Riven Peak and the shadows were lengthening in the mountain-top village. So, reluctantly, Rai decided to wait till the next morning until setting out on his journey.

After a night filled with dreams of escapades to come, Rai woke early for the first time in his life. He flung himself out of bed just as the sun was beginning to peek through the slatted blinds and he was sitting at the breakfast table waiting to say his goodbyes before the rest of his family had even begun to stir. While he was waiting he decided to let Cree out of her ball so that he could have someone to release his pent-up excitement on. Fortunately, he had no chance of waking his family as the Tempest Village people had adapted to the constant thunderstorms their nights brought by being some of the deepest sleepers humankind had ever known.

The little llama, however, was apparently just as excited as Rai was, if still a little peeved at being shunned the day before. She galloped gleefully around the small hut as her trainer described the treacherous, danger-wrought, thoroughly sign-posted and well-trodden route through the mountains that they’d have to take. But when he mentioned the Pokemon they might see and that he might even be able to catch some, she froze mid-pirouette and gave him an icy glare.

“Of course,” stuttered Rai fretfully, “you’ll always be my first Pokemon.”

Cree rolled her amber eyes as if to say, Uh, yeah, unless you plan on time-travelling any time soon.

“I mean,” tried Rai again, “you’ll always be my favourite Pokemon.”

Cree shut off her evil eye, but sat down on her haunches grumpily, her excited mood obviously halted somewhat.

“Even if I catch one of those amazing, beautiful, extraordinary, powerful… Ampifear,” finished Rai, slipping again into delusions of future grandeur.

Cree stared at him with her mouth open for a while and, when this did nothing to distract him from his misty-eyed imaginings, she humphed moodily and pushed the button on her Pokeball on Rai’s lap, drawing herself inside.

Rai snapped out of his daydream just too late. “Cree?” he said confusedly as his faithful Montama vanished in a stream of red light. He picked up the Pokeball and stared at it glumly.

“Cree, you can’t expect me to go out on this journey and not do what I’ve always wanted to do,” he said at the green sphere.

The ball shook in his hands; obviously Cree expected him to do just that.

He reasoned that she’d come round to the idea eventually and plonked the hewn Apricorn down on the table before slumping back on his wooden chair.

“Pokemon trouble?” said a slightly taunting but friendly voice from the doorway.

Rai practically jumped out of his skin and whirled around to face the unexpected intruder, tripping over his chair and falling flat on his face in the process. He pushed back his hat and parted his hair from in front of his eyes and stared up from his prostrate position to see none other than Tempest Village’s own Zach standing on the hut’s threshold. Rai hurriedly picked himself up and stood to a ragged attention in front of the diminutive leader.

“I came to give you something for your journey,” said the wizened elder. “But it looks like you have everything you could possibly need,” he added, nodding at the bulging shoulder bag weighing down the central table.

“Uh, yeah…” laughed Rai nervously, “some of my family members were a little too keen to see me gone.”

Zach grinned in an empathetic sort of way. “I see,” he said, “but I doubt your father had enough time to make you any more of these.” He parted his ankle-length poncho, revealing a bandolier of six Pokeballs draped across his open palms. All the balls were of the standard red and white variety; the blue-topped Great Balls and black and yellow Ultra Balls were reserved for trainers with at least a couple of gym badges. Zach presented them to Rai, urging him to take them. The wide-eyed young trainer picked up the leather strap and stared at the gleaming spheres. He prodded one gently and it popped open, revealing the complicated inner surface of super-reflecting mirrors and laser-emitting diodes.

“I don’t know what to say,” blurted out the stunned boy.

“A thank you would be nice,” said Zach, still smiling.

“O-of course, Sir, thank you so much. I’ll be sure to use them carefully.”

“I thought I’d give you a whole set of six, even though you’ve already got one,” explained the leader. “After all, I can’t expect you to catch every Pokemon you battle on the first try.”

“You think I should catch every Pokemon I see?” asked Rai, surprised.

“Of course not, but then, there is no better way to get to know a Pokemon,” mused Zach thoughtfully. “Remember though, weake-”.

“Weaken first and throw when the target has its guard down,” recited Rai.

“Exactly,” grinned the boys mentor, “but don’t forget-”

“Status conditions such as burn, poison or paralysis also heighten catch-rate,” finished the eager boy.

“Excellent.” The leader’s grin broadened even more and his dark-brown eyes practically disappeared amongst his laughter lines. “You really do remember everything I taught you, don’t you?”

Rai blushed and sidled embarrassedly over to his bag. He busied himself loosening the buckle on the strap and threaded through the Pokeball bandolier, attaching it magazine-style to the strap that would sit across his chest. Rai hauled the bag up over his head and pulled on the straps to position the bandolier. He grabbed a poncho from a pile of less bio-hazardous clothes and pulled it down over his tasselled hat. He assumed his most adventurous pose and beamed at the elderly leader.

Zach leaned on his engraved stick and grinned back. “Well, you certainly look ready,” he remarked.

Rai’s face suddenly sank as he turned his attention to the green Pokeball on the table. “I am,” he said, “but I’m not sure about Cree.”

Zach’s features hardened slightly too. “Montana are famously stubborn, Boy,” he advised, “and from what I heard, your problem could have some serious implications for your journey. You will need at least a few more strong Pokemon to fend of the others you will meet along the way.”

Rai’s emotions dampened even more.

“Nevertheless,” continued Zach, “her jealousy is to be expected and if you are patient and understanding of her, then I am sure Cree’s loyalty to you and your pride in her will get you through this problem with your friendship intact.”

The spark of hope reigniting in Rai’s mind was evident in his improved mood as he picked up Cree’s Pokeball and fixed it to the space at the top of his strap.

“Now,” said Zach, “I will leave you to say goodbye to your family and have a good breakfast, but then you must be off.”

Grinning once more, Rai practically skipped back to his seat as his family began to stir around him and Zach slipped out of the doorway. If only, thought the wise old man, all Pokemon had the abilities of the Psychic-type. Maybe problems such as his protégé was facing could be resolved more easily with a more efficient form of communication between human and Pokemon.

*** ***​

Souhgem Outskirts - Ethar and Psymon.

Ironically, telepathic communication was exactly the thing that Psymon was at that very moment wishing he couldn’t do. In times of stress he missed the times when he could just play the dumb Pokemon and wait for his trainer to come up with a solution to their problems.

This problem was, however, quite a large one - and rather too literally for Psymon’s liking.

After roughing it overnight in an empty container they’d found, Ethar and his trusty psychic companion had awoken to find themselves under close scrutiny from a very confused-looking Pokemon. Obviously the pale-furred Pokemon was not used to finding casual passers-by snoozing in the crates he was meant to be loading.

The hulking, polar bear-like Pokemon was shortly joined by his trainer - a hulking, bear-like dockhand. After a short period of uncomfortable silence during which the brows of both the Pokemon and trainer furrowed in remarkably similar fashions, the bulky labourer made his first attempt at communication.

“Oo are you then?” he started in a manner that suggested his language skills were normally limited to grunts and curse words. He then apparently realised that this wasn’t the most immediately required information and corrected himself with, “What’re you doin’ in ‘ere?”

<Psymon,> thought Ethar silently to his partner as he attempted to search his coat pockets for Pokeballs without alerting the man or his Pokemon, <a little psychic blast would be very useful here.>

Psymon, however, was otherwise occupied by the worryingly close maw of the Pokemon. The drool-coated interior of which housed upward-pointing fangs that looked more suited to peeling the lids off of small family cars than the skins off of Spheals. On top of this, the Pokemon’s claws were long and jagged like ice-picks and appeared to be made of some kind of metal.

<Psymon,> tried Ethar again, making sure his frustration went through loud and clear to the emotionally sensitive Pokemon, <I have no idea what that Pokemon is but your abilities are the best chance we’ve got. Come on.>

<Alright, alright,> transmitted Psymon eventually, <…Hang on a minute, something’s wrong here.>

<Oh, you’ve only just realised that, have you? Let me fill you in on what’s happened while you’ve been away: we’re currently being stared down by a Mister Universe material Pokemon and his pet gorilla and you still haven’t sent him so much as a Confusion!> fumed Ethar telepathically.

<No, I mean, something is actually blocking my abilities…> replied Psymon.

As if on cue, a small, furry face with huge bat-like ears peered over their assailant’s shoulder to see why its master hadn’t yet disposed of the intruders it had alerted him to a few minutes previously.

<Oh sweet Arceus, he’s got a Dark-type with him,> shrieked Psymon. In an attempt to cower into the nearest corner he inadvertently reminded the overalled man that he still hadn’t had an answer to his questions, or indeed any communication whatsoever out of the two stowaways.

Unfortunately, the troglodytic dockhand didn’t seem willing to wait for his answer any longer and resorted to the age-old solution that all those of his mental capacity and position end up doing in confusing or difficult situations; he decided to pass the buck.

“Well, if yer not gonna tell me oo y’are then ya can go righ’ back to wherever ya came from,” he announced.

“Wait a second,” said Ethar aloud. “We didn’t arrive in the container, we were just spending the night here- wait, what are you doing?!”

“Gouger,” said the man, completely ignoring the panic-stricken Ethar and apparently addressing the Pokemon on his shoulder, “close the doors.”

The Pokemon jumped down onto the damp ground, revealing it to be around the size of an average dog. Its fur was dark-blue with indigo highlights and it had a thick, bushy tail like an oversized squirrel. Its forepaws ended in hands that seemed almost humanoid except for the elongated fingers the inch-long claws they ended in - it was clear how this particular Pokemon had gotten its nickname. Its enormous ears, though, were not the most distinguishing feature of its face by a long way. Above the needle-fanged mouth and rubbery black nose were the creatures extraordinary eyes. Like the ears, they were huge in relation to the size of its head but that wasn’t the strangest thing, the number of them was what confused the stowaways. A third eye above and between the other two was slowly opening as it crouched on the concrete. An eerie blue light poured from the lens beneath the rising lid and, as it opened wider and wider, an identical blue glow grew around the edges of the open doors of the container.

<I don’t believe it, a Dark- and Psychic-type? This region is crazy!> shouted Psymon telepathically from his position in the far corner of the container.

As soon as Ethar realised what was happening, he was on his feet and sprinting towards the container door to confront the Pokemon’s trainer. His endeavours were, however, cut short by the burly, pale-furred Pokemon blocking the only way out. One growl from the mammoth mammal was enough to convince Ethar that he needed a little more backup, and Psymon certainly wasn’t going to be any help.

Now that he was focused, Ethar remembered why he couldn’t find his Pokeballs - he’d put them in his other pocket. He cursed his earlier, panicking self and withdrew the one he needed from its embarrassingly obvious hiding place and released its occupant into the progressively darkening cuboid space.

“Go, Hermes!” shouted the dark-haired trainer, and, with a metallic clang as the Pokemon’s hefty weight materialised on the steel floor, his trusty companion burst forth into being.

<I see,> said Ethar’s Pokemon simply.

“Right, Hermes, let’s start off with a Focus Blast to dispatch that annoying Dark-type back there.”

<Aye-aye,> answered the Pokemon, grinning at his little joke.

The pink Pokemon held its stubby arms out in front of its yellowish belly. His eyes clenched shut in concentration and a swirling ball of orange energy began to grow between his paws.

<Hurry, Hermes,> urged Ethar.

Frowning at his trainer’s impatience, the Pokemon turned to the side, his huge, grey tail-shell scraping along the container floor as he moved, and drew his arms back before flinging them forwards and firing the Focus Blast straight between the bemused bear Pokemon’s legs.

Outside, the dual-type Pokemon known as Gouger was busy pulling the metal doors together with its telekinetic powers and had no time whatsoever to register the pulsing ball of orange energy heading towards him before he found himself sprawled in a puddle on the edge of consciousness less than two seconds later. As Gouger lost his hold on the world around him, so the dark aura he emanated vanished from Psymon’s mind and the relieved Gardevoir found his powers returning along with his usual bravado.

<Did someone ask for a Psychic?> he asked, appearing at the pink Pokemon’s side.

“Thank Arceus,” muttered Ethar. “Both of you, clear that roadblock,” he ordered, pointing at the white-furred wall of muscle blocking their path.

Both Pokemon’s eyes glowed as the dockhand’s Pokemon’s had, but their attention was not focused directly on the doors. With their combined efforts, they picked up the polar bear and threw him, roaring at the unfairness of it all, straight through the narrow gap that Gouger had left.

Outside again, the dockhand was trying to revive his other Pokemon and was unaware that he was about to meet a very similar fate. However, on this occasion, the ball of energy was replaced with an irate, glowing polar bear and the effect was far more devastating. Both trainer and Pokemon were catapulted into the side of the nearest container and their thick skulls did nothing to stop them being knocked cold on impact.

“Psymon, Hermes, well done,” said Ethar, “but I think we would be wise to make ourselves scarce.” And with that, the boy, the Gardevoir and the Slowbro found themselves running from retribution once more.

*** ***​

The Tempest Mountains - Rai.

Route 14

He’d finally done it. Raimundo Pachama had left Tempest Village and was setting out on a journey. It may have only been a journey to the next town, but with the chance to catch Pokemon and meet new people, it might as well have been a trip to the shops for all Rai cared. The young boy glanced back at the sign he’d just passed; on its reverse were the words:

Tempest Village, the place where storms and stones collide.

Those were the first words any traveller entering Tempest Village saw and they were the last part of his home town that Rai would see for the rest of his journey.

As he trudged down the side of the East Peak, that thought kind of appealed to Rai. Leaving his town behind was a symbol of a new beginning - a new adventure. But if Rai had known that that adventure would last a lot longer than the week it was supposed to, he might have savoured that last glimpse a fair bit more than he did before kicking a stray pebble off the path and continuing on his way.

*** ***​

Last edited:
I seem to have scared everybody off. >_>

Like I said before: Ampifear is seriously badass. Though Reafear's expression is amusing. And (since I love ruining surprises for myself) OMG! Orion's crazy hair makes so much sense now ... LOL, why do we both have crazy-haired villains in our fics? Now it's only a matter of time before Miror B. pops up as a cameo ... XP

“I mean,” he added quickly, “obviously the whole region isn’t like this.”

But all this glitz and glamour hid the original and vital function of the port - the imports and exports that kept the black, industrial heart of the region running smoothly.
I love this line. LOVE it. The analogy is so fitting, it's ... I dunno, shiver-inducing. ^^;

had done little to lift the damp and gloom from the maze of makeshift paths

<There are restaurants, aren’t there?>

“No, of course I paid for the cruise,” said Ethar, shocked.

Psymon rolled his pink eyes.

His mother had started reeling off a great list of advice (including such gems as, “Make sure you don’t walk off any cliffs now,” and “You will remember your thermal underwear, won’t you?”).
Reminds me of a certain other beginning trainer's mother ... "Do you remember to change your underwear every day?" XDDD

By the time his mother had finished her speech and Rai had calmed his emotional father, the sun was setting behind Riven Peak

“Of course,” stuttered Rai fretfully, “you’ll always be my first Pokemon.”

Cree rolled her amber eyes as if to say, Uh, yeah, unless you plan on time-travelling any time soon.

“I mean,” tried Rai again, “you’ll always be my favourite Pokemon.”

Cree shut off her evil eye, but sat down on her haunches grumpily, her excited mood obviously halted somewhat.

“Even if I catch one of those amazing, beautiful, extraordinary, powerful… Ampifear,” finished Rai, slipping again into delusions of future grandeur.
XDDD

The ball shook in his hands; obviously Cree expected him to do just that.

“I came to give you something for your journey,” said the wizened elder.But it looks like you have everything you could possibly need,”

Zach grinned in an empathetic sort of way.

the blue-topped Great Balls and black and yellow Ultra Balls were reserved for trainers with at least a couple of gym badges.

Rai blushed and sidled embarrassedly over to his bag. He busied himself loosening the buckle on the strap and threaded through the Pokeball bandolier, attaching it magazine-style to the strap that would sit across his chest.

Rai hauled the bag up over his head and pulled on the straps to position the bandolier. He grabbed a poncho from a pile of less bio-hazardous clothes and pulled it down over his tasselled hat. He assumed his most adventurous pose and beamed at the elderly leader.
Since Rai's the one doing all the action in this section, I'd suggest you fuse these two paragraphs into one. Also, every sentence starts with "Rai" or "he", which gets a tad repetitive. Change maybe?

The hulking, polar bear-like Pokemon was shortly joined by his trainer - a hulking, bear-like dockhand.

“Oo are you then?” he started in a manner that suggested his language skills were normally limited to grunts and curse words.

He then apparently realised that this wasn’t the most immediately required information and corrected himself with, “What’re you doin’ in ‘ere?”
Same case with these: a paragraph in which a character speaks should not be immediately followed by one in which he speaks again, unless the first paragraph would have been too long and clunky for every single word the character was saying at that moment.

<a little psychic blast would be very useful here.>

<Alright, alright,> transmitted Psymon eventually.

<Oh, you’ve only just realised that, have you?

As if on cue, a small, furry face with huge bat-like ears peered over their assailant's shoulder

“Gouger,” said the man, completely ignoring the panic-stricken Ethar and apparently addressing the Pokemon on his shoulder, “close the doors.”

The Pokemon jumped down onto the damp ground, revealing it to be around the size of an average dog. Its fur was black with dark-blue highlights and it had a thick, bushy tail like an oversized squirrel. Its forepaws ended in hands that seemed almost humanoid except for the elongated fingers the inch-long claws they ended in - it was clear how this particular Pokemon had gotten its nickname. Its enormous ears, though, were not the most distinguishing feature of its face by a long way. Above the needle-fanged mouth and rubbery black nose were the creature's extraordinary eyes. Like the ears, they were huge in relation to the size of its head, but that wasn’t the strangest thing; the number of them was what confused the stowaways. A third eye above and between the other two was slowly opening as it crouched on the concrete. An eerie blue light poured from the lens beneath the rising lid and, as it opened wider and wider, an identical blue glow grew around the edges of the open doors of the container.
That thing sounds wicked creepy. Ergo, it's awesome. =D

One growl from the mammoth mammal was enough to convince Ethar that he needed a little more backup,

Frowning at his trainer's impatience,

<Did someone ask for a Psychic?>

“Thank Arceus,” muttered Ethar.

Both Pokemon’s eyes glowed as the dockhand’s Pokemon’s had,

With their combined efforts, they picked up the polar bear and threw him, roaring at the unfairness of it all, straight through the narrow gap that Gouger had left.
XD

Outside again, the dockhand was trying to revive his other Pokemon

So Rai's finally heading out! Yay~ Although, if he's going on a journey, isn't he going to return to fight Zach for a badge? Or is there some greater plot point overshadowing the need for the League? *ponders*

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
rofl, I don't know about Miror B making an appearance (though there are certainly some Cuaro Pokemon that would suit him...) but there are definitely going to be some more crazy hairstyles in the future. ;D

Thanks for pointing out all the errors again, I was happy to see there weren't quite so many this time. XD And I'm glad there weren't any outright stupid spelling mistakes for a change. ¬¬

I love this line. LOVE it. The analogy is so fitting, it's ... I dunno, shiver-inducing. ^^;
:3 Why thank you. I don't know what else to say ^^"

That thing sounds wicked creepy. Ergo, it's awesome. =D
It's name is Indaye. If you didn't get Hermes' "joke", it's based on an aye-aye. Yay for obscure animals for Pokemon bases. ^^

An overshadowing plot? Never! <.< >.> The last sentence of that chapter is in no way insinuating that Rai will do anything except go to Youthville, meet the person he's been sent to talk to, and come straight home. In. No. Way. At. All... honest.

Last edited:

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Hullo faithful reader/s, the time is here again for another chapter.

As an added treat, here is a manga-style pic of Rai by Team_Magma93 for your illustrative pleasure. Also, Montama and Granico's pages are now up on our site. Enjoy. ^^

Chapter 4: Absolute Darkness.​

The Tempest Mountains (Route 14) - Rai and Cree.

“Cree? What is it girl?” asked Rai.

He and Cree were making good progress down the steeply sloping Route 14 as it wound between the Tempest Mountains. But suddenly, and for no reason that Rai could make out, his faithful Montama had just stopped stock-still. Her ears were fluttering like crazed butterflies as she twitched them back and forth.

<There is no need to worry, young Montama, we won’t hurt you.>

Unbeknownst to Rai, Cree’s eyes clouded over momentarily.

<We are just curious, you feel assured that we are your friends.>

The little llama sniffed the mountain air and apparently decided she was making a fuss about nothing as she shook her head and carried on walking in just as care-free a manner as she had been before.

Rai shook his own head, his hat tassels swishing across his face, and blinked a few times. It was unlike Cree to stop for no apparent reason, and even less like her to carry on without attempting to explain what the reason was. Eventually he decided that if she’d decided it was nothing then he should decide to decide it was nothing too, and decisively strode on after her.

***​

Cree stopped like this three more times as the pair trudged steadily downhill, with exactly the same result. And as the mountains slowly began to swallow the sun like a massive, jagged-toothed beast and she stopped for the fifth time, Rai thought that they might as well stop for the night and set up camp.

Well, if the ramshackle, tepee-like affair of a tent he had managed to construct could be called a camp. Rai stood back and admired the patchwork shelter as it wobbled on its flimsy, wooden struts and the small, stone-ringed fire he’d finally lit guttered in the wind that whistled through the valley.

“Its not quite home, but it’ll do, hey?” said Rai, primarily to himself, as the dusk gathered around the roadside lay-by he’d erected his tent in.

Then, quite suddenly, the twilight became utter darkness as the final rays of sunlight were snuffed out by the massive shapes of the mountains. Beside him, Rai heard Cree whimper as he immediately realised why she’d been so agitated on their way down the mountain.

*** ***​

Redwood Grove, Central Tower, Gemini Corp. Lobby - ? (Six months previously)

The girl sat with her hands clasped tightly in her lap, nervously biting her bottom lip. Her mint green hair was tied back by two ornamental black bands, though it curled around her cheeks in two styled crescents that swayed backwards and forwards as she glanced fretfully around the reception area.

In front of her was the high, semi-circular desk with the persnickety receptionist that had glowered at from her elevated stool when she first walked in. Behind the blue-haired girl, the wall she was sat against was made almost entirely from glass, revealing the breath-taking view of the yellow plains far below between the other towers. The glass wall mirrored the curve of the desk as it swept around the outside of this, the largest of Redwood’s five great towering skyscrapers. Its alternating black- and white-coloured seats were arranged all along the long glass wall from where the girl sat by the foreboding double-doors that led to the interviewing room to the bank of elevators on the far side of the lobby. Behind the massive desk, directly above the receptionist’s fastidiously oiled hairstyle, was the Gemini logo - two interlocking black and white spirals that formed both a white ‘g’ and a stylised Yin Yang.

Then, the girl suddenly had something new to focus on as the furthest elevator in the bank on the other side of the room slid open and a young woman stepped out. She strode across the black- and white-chequered carpet with the gait and facial expression of somebody who had definitely done this sort of thing before. Ironically, if had worked before, she wouldn’t have been striding towards the queue for an interview for a job she honestly had no real interest in.

The woman looked to the blue-haired girl to be slightly older than she was, if only by a couple of years. She had bright orange hair with two black highlights that struck out from her fringe and scythed over her head in a way that suggested she had either far too much free time or far too much hair gel lying around.

As she passed the receptionist, she returned her glare with a look that would have made the aide’s precarious perm whither if it hadn’t been fixed there with all the hair-pins she could find that morning. The red-haired woman cleared the last stretch of floor without even glancing at the only other occupant of the room and sat down in the next seat along from her without so much as a confident sneer.

“Hi, my name’s Lilian,” said the blue-haired girl, sticking out a trembling hand, “but my friends call me Lily. Are you here for the interview too?”

Lily stared hopefully at the redheaded girl as she ignored her for several seconds.

“You’re early,” remarked her neighbour eventually without turning away from the point in the middle-distance she was apparently staring at.

“I- I wanted too, well, I-” started Lily, slightly taken aback by the abrupt change of topic.

“You’re obviously very keen - the advertisement said to arrive fifteen minutes from now,” interjected the other woman.

“Yes, I suppose I-” said Lily, “what’s your name?”

“Andrea,” said the redhead bluntly.

“Can I call you-?” started Lily.

“No,” retorted Andrea.

Several minutes passed in which a few other hopefuls arrived through the elevator doors and filed in along the row of chairs.

“Why do you think they asked for competent Pokemon-battlers anyway?” asked the woman next to Lily, still staring at nothing.

“I guess a mining company needs people to fend of wild Pokemon while they work underground… or something,” Lily muttered, not sure whether she was actually supposed to be contributing to the conversation.

“I suppose,” said Andrea, indicating properly for the first time that she’d actually registered the other girl’s existence, “Obviously” she continued, “I’m more than prepared for any battling test they throw at us.”

“Are your Pokemon pretty powerful then?” asked Lily, spurred on by actually receiving a response for once.

Andrea turned to face Lily and stared into her turquoise eyes. Lily felt that her searching gaze was made all the more intense by the lack of eye-contact she had initiated beforehand. After the split-second it took the woman to apparently decide this girl may actually be a threat to her upcoming job position, she reached into a pocket and pulled out a small sphere that rapidly expanded in her hand.

“Ooh, a Dusk Ball,” remarked Lily, her eyes widening in awe at the greenish ball criss-crossed in a web of black lines.

The red-haired woman pressed the orange button on the front of the ball and white light poured out onto the floor space in front of them. Heads all along the rapidly filling row of chairs turned as the shimmering wave reformed into the shape of fierce-looking, black and white, cat-like Pokemon - which promptly sat down on its haunches and proceeded to lick itself and preen its fluffy mane with its forepaw.

Several of the other waiting interviewees snickered under their breath and Andrea herself turned bright red, but whether out of anger at her Pokemon or sheer embarrassment was hard to tell. But then, an ear-splitting shriek rent the tense atmosphere of the waiting-room in two with all the subtlety of a set of bag-pipes being run over by a steamroller. All the other occupants of the room were forced to abandon their previous emotions in favour of extreme pain and the clamping of their hands over their ears.

“….AAAAAAAaaaaaaawwwwww!!! It’s so cute!” screamed Lily as her over-excited yell returned from the realms of pitch that bats use to stop themselves flying into cave walls and back into the human range of hearing.

Slowly, people around the room began to realise that the excruciating noise had stopped and the ringing in their ears wasn’t the death toll, and they gingerly removed their hands from the sides of their heads. Finally, Andrea removed hers and turned to glare at Lily.

“Behemoth is not ‘cute,’ she is a highly-trained killing machine,” she corrected through clenched teeth.

“Awww, look,” squee’d Lily, “it’s got a little bit of fur sticking up by the black pointy thing.”

“That ‘black pointy thing’ is a lethal scythe imbued with the powers of darkness and premonition,” fumed Andrea, her facial hue surpassing her hair colour and shooting straight to crimson.

‘Behemoth’ herself, who was in fact a species of Pokemon known as an Absol, seemed uninterested in both the affection and anger she was receiving and, having finished her grooming, pawed the short carpet briefly before curling up and going to sleep.

If Andrea was going to have any further reaction to this, it was cut off by the room’s over-loud tannoy system.

“Andrea O. Meadan,” echoed the receptionist’s voice, “the panel are waiting for you in the interviewing room.”

The red-haired woman stood up, her anger turning to smugness, “You may have been first here,” she said to Lily as she patted down her clothes and regained her facial composure, “but I’m first on the list.”

She turned sharply and pushed open the double doors in front of her as she strode into her interview. ‘Behemoth’ apparently realised the show was leaving town and picked herself up and trotted after her trainer.

*** ***​

A very dark place - a very scared Rai and Cree.

It may interest the reader to know that Absol in the wild are normally some of the most feared Pokemon a traveller can come across. The fact that a specimen as tame and ‘cute’ as the unfortunately-named ‘Behemoth’ existed anywhere would have seemed to our intrepid travellers a rather abstract notion, and it probably wouldn’t have made them feel any better about their present situation.

Rai glanced from side to side, trying desperately not move. He wasn’t sure why he was trying not to move, but he vaguely remembered being told something about running showing that you were afraid and that apparently fear wasn’t something you should show when you were surrounded by countless circling predators.

He tightened his grip on Cree’s scruff as the ring of glowing red eyes slowly closed in around the tiny pool of firelight, more to comfort himself than to ensure she didn’t flee.

Occasionally, a black claw or a flash of a white coat would breach the circle of light, but Rai already new what Pokemon these were. Absol were infamous among the mountain villages - legend had it that they caused disasters to occur wherever they walked.

<We will not hurt you, child,> said the strange voice from earlier that only Cree could hear, <we are just curious. Feel assure- >

Rai looked down as Cree abruptly stopped shuddering.

<No,> said Cree, shaking her head, <I won’t be brainwashed again. Why are you following us?>

<Hmmm, the Montama has developed a resistance to the Assurance.>

<I told you not to use it so often.>

The strange voices seemed to be arguing amongst themselves.

<She was growing suspicious.>

<Well it’s too late now, just go out there and talk to them.>

<Why? The Human won’t understand us anyway.>

<The Montama will. Just get out there.>

There was a sound like the muffled screeching of a cat and the feline form of an Absol skittered into the firelight.

Rai started and made to ignore the advice in his tenuous memory, but Cree grabbed the hem of his poncho with her teeth and pulled him back. He looked down at her and she stared up into his eyes, trying to convey what she’d overheard.

Whether he understood fully or not, he presumably decided that she knew what she was doing and stayed where he was, turning his attention instead to the Absol staring sheepishly down at its clawed forepaws in front of him. The Absol looked up and briefly met his gaze before turning to Cree.

<We Absol,> he started, <often get blamed for causing disasters simply because we are at the ‘scene of the crime’ as it were. This is not true; we are simply drawn to disasters, and though we can not directly foresee the future, we are also drawn to places where they are about to happen.>

<So?> said Cree, <Why are you following us?> she glanced around at the many other pairs of eyes staring in from the darkness, <And why are there so many of you?>

<We have no way of knowing how, or why, but a great calamity is approaching, and somehow you and your human are involved,> explained the Absol tentatively.

Cree’s mouth hung open in confusion and disbelief, <But… How…?> she started.

<We do not know. Our gift of premonition is not as great as that of the Psychic-type,> said the Absol, shifting from foot to foot nervously. <We only know that it will happen… and it will happen soon.>

This was too much for the little llama to take, she looked up at her trainer (Rai was looking very confused by this point) and then back at the Absol.

<No,> she said defiantly, <it won’t happen.>

<Yes it will,> said the Absol, nodding his head as if he was trying to convince himself as much as Cree, <we can feel it coming->

<No, we won’t let it happen,> said Cree.

<You can’t change the futu- > attempted the Absol.

<I’m stubborn, deal with it,> said Cree, gritting her teeth.

<The future is indomitable, your destiny is set in sto- > tried the Absol again, but he stopped when he saw the flickering electricity building up in the Montama’s thick fur.

Cree started growling deep in her throat.

<Actually, I think we better be off. Um, all the best and all that… bye then.> The Absol hastily turned-tail and as he left the pool of light, so the other glowing eyes shrank back into the darkness.

Cree looked up at her trainer for a third time. This time though, there was a grin on her furry face and he mirrored it back.

“I don’t know what you did,” said Rai, frankly quite amazed. “But it looks like it worked.”

He scoured the darkness one more time before kicking the fire out and crawling after Cree into the precarious shelter - which had been mercifully ignored by the prowling Pokemon.

Well, all but one…

*** ***​

Redwood Grove, Central Tower, Gemini Corp. Lobby - Lily and Andrea. (Six months previously)

The double doors were suddenly flung open as Andrea strode through them and they struck the immaculate walls on either side - earning her another disapproving glare from the receptionist. She gave Lily a smug sneer and continued around the desk to some empty chairs on the other side of the room where she sat down to wait for the results of her interview.

“Lilian Brant,” said the receptionist, again over the rather pointless tannoy, “the panel are waiting for you.”

Lily immediately broke out in a cold sweat. Her knees shook as she stood up and she was sure her face was going to betray her utter desperation. If only she could be as confident as that Andrea woman.

She walked unsteadily towards the doors and pushed her way through. On the other side was a corridor of free-standing partitions that she followed around until it opened onto a large, spacious area.

Nearest her was a single white chair, presumably taken from the lobby outside. Facing the isolated seat was a long table draped in a black cloth that stood on a slightly elevated platform. Behind it were the three interviewers - the ‘panel’ as the receptionist had called them.

Lily proceeded across the black-carpeted floor and sat down stiffly in the chair. In an effort to stop thinking about what she was sure was her own imminent demise, she examined the ‘panel’ one by one. On the left was a woman with sienna-coloured hair dressed in some kind of aviator-style jacket. She was examining a sheath of paper in front of her that Lily thought probably contained a 5-page list of reasons for why she shouldn’t get this job.

In the middle was a man that looked about 35ish in a pinstriped suit. He had spiked, dark blue hair and a short goatee. He sat up straight and was looking at Lily with a curious gaze that she was trying desperately to avoid for as long as possible.

And lastly - Lily almost swooned sideways off of the armless chair - was the most gorgeous vision she had ever seen. He sat nonchalantly at an angle on his chair with his right arm draped over the back. His left arm was uncovered by a trendily cut-off sleeve and it rippled with muscles that betrayed the image of a lazy do-nothing he was obviously trying to portray. His light brown hair was cropped quite short except for a cascade that poured over his right eye in style that must have been very inconvenient but was so cool that Lily was practically drooling…

“ -that is your name isn’t it?” asked the pinstriped man in the middle.

“I’m sorry. What did you say?” said Lily, pulling her eye away from the Adonis on the end of the table for a brief moment.

“You are Lilian Brant?” said the man, apparently for the second or third time. “Or do you prefer Lily?”

“Y- yes,” she replied, “Mister…?”

“Xerxes,” he finished, “but ‘Sir’ will be fine.”

Lily’s eyes widened so much that they almost popped clean out of her skull. She’d never even considered that the owner and founder of the whole company would be present at the interview. This was the famous Xerxes sat in front of her right now - the man who had single-handedly catapulted himself into public attention with his ruthless take-overs and legendary entrepreneurial skills. The Gemini Mining Corporation was just one of his latest projects; why was it so special to him that he would interview potential workers himself?

“I like to take a more personal approach than most to the selection process,” he smiled, answering her unspoken question in a typically democratic style.

“Excuse me,” said the woman on Lily’s left, “it says here that you used to live in Snowpoint City…”

“Oh yes,” said Lily, glad to have a subject to talk about, “my family moved here a few months ago and I’ve been looking for work ever since. I still love Ice-type Pokemon though. You can’t grow up in a place like Snowpoint and not like them my dad always used to say. One of my boyfriends back home used to-”

“I’m sorry,” said the man on her right, leaning forward to peer through his fringe at her, “you’ve been looking for work ever since you arrived in Cuaro?”

Lily clenched her eyes shut and willed the black carpet to open up and swallow her whole. Not only had she let slip that every other company in this Arceus-forsaken city had rejected her, but she had also just destroyed any respect Mister Perfect had had for her to begin with.

“Y- yes,” she mumbled.

“You say you like Ice-types,” said Xerxes, “do you have any Pokemon on you?”

“Yes, Sir,” she said brightening up slightly. “I take my Froslass with me everywhere.”

The brown-haired woman leaned across to Xerxes, “A Froslass,” she said quietly, “that’s quite impressive. I hear they are very difficult to train.”

Xerxes nodded silently. “Okay then,” he said to Lily, “let’s see this Froslass of yours.”

Lily reached into the handbag slung over her shoulder. She rummaged around for a few seconds but appeared to be having trouble finding the ball.

“I know it’s in here somewhere,” she said to herself as she tipped the bag upside down over the floor in front of her chair.

Numerous unspeakable objects dropped, clunked and rolled onto the floor. Many with no conceivable use to even the most experienced girly-girl. Eventually, a plain red-and-white Pokeball dropped out and settled on the top of the pile of nick-knacks already on the floor.

“Oh, here it is!” she exclaimed, holding up the ball in a slightly over-dramatic manner.

Xerxes and the brown-haired woman looked at her disapprovingly, but the object of her desires actually cracked a minute smile in the shadow of his over-hanging hairdo.

“If we could see the Pokemon now…” urged Xerxes.

Lily stood up and nervously brushed a few strands of hair off of her face as her cheeks rapidly turned pink. “Yes, Sir. Right away, Sir” she muttered. She drew herself up and took in a deep breath. “Go, Froslass!” she said forcefully, and released her pride and joy into the room.

The temperature in the large, open space instantly dropped by at least a couple of degrees and a flurry of snowflakes accompanied the eerie ice-ghost as it burst from its ball, pirouetting as it did so.

“Very impressive indeed…” said Xerxes under his clouding breath.

***​

Lily and Andrea where sat, once more, next to each other in the Gemini Corp. lobby. But this time they were on the other side of the room, waiting anxiously for the last interviewee to leave the panel room.

Eventually, the gibbering husk of a man reappeared through the double doors, in a remarkably similar state to how he’d gone in, and Lily and Andrea’s apprehension (even though the redhead didn’t show it) increased tenfold as they awaited the interviewers’ judgement.

The trio emerged from their deliberation around half an hour later, Xerxes leading the way with a sheet of paper in his hands. He began to read from it, spouting a list of names with no indication as to what they signified. But as the list grew ever longer, the people who had already heard their names realised that there really couldn’t be that many posts up for grabs and started to head for the elevators.

Finally, there were just three hopefuls left in the lobby. Lily looked about her - on her right Andrea was looking as smug as ever, but further down the row of seats a man in a pressed trousers and the most immaculate suit she had ever seen was looking - if it was possible - even more confident.

She put two and two together and got an answer she didn’t like and abruptly jumped up from her seat sprinted across the crescent-shaped reception to the tall figure of her would-be boss. Xerxes stopped just as he was about to say the next name on the list and one of his eyebrows arched in mild amusement as the frantic girl halted in front of him.

“Yes?” he queried.

“Please don’t turn me down,” Lily pleaded. “This is the only place in the whole city that hasn’t rejected me. I’ll do anything, answer phones, make your coffee, but I really need this job. I can hardly maintain a home as it is.”

“Maxi T. Sheen,” said Xerxes, looking around Lily at the man in the suit.

The man’s jaw dropped for a split second, but he obediently picked up his briefcase and glumly took the walk of shame.

“Mister Xerxes, Sir, you mean…?” gasped Lily.

“You are codename Libra,” he said sternly, “And you,” he directed at Andrea, “are codename Andromeda. And it’s Master Xerxes from now on.”

*** ***​

Back in the Tempest Mountains, in a lay-by on the side of Route 14, as a young boy and a stubborn llama slept beneath a patchwork canvas, a small, lithe, black-and-white shape snuck silently in beside them, curled up, and joined them in their slumber.

*** ***​

Hullo faithful reader/s,
Sorry. XP

*looks at pics* Ooh, Rai looks cool. And OMG! Montama is Kuzco! *shot* Ahem ... moving on.

“Cree? What is it, girl?” asked Rai.

and carried on walking in just as carefree a manner as she had been before.

Eventually he decided that if she’d decided it was nothing, then he should decide to decide it was nothing too, and decisively strode on after her.
... *head spins* @_@

Her mint green hair was tied back by two ornamental black bands,
Um. Her hair is said to be blue throughout the rest of the scene. So either this bit is a mistake, or it magically changed color in the space of five seconds ... o_0

In front of her was the high, semicircular desk with the persnickety receptionist that had glowered at from her elevated stool when she first walked in. Behind the blue-haired girl, the wall she was sat against was made almost entirely from glass, revealing the breathtaking view of the yellow plains far below between the other towers. The glass wall mirrored the curve of the desk as it swept around the outside of this, the largest of Redwood’s five great towering skyscrapers. Its alternating black- and white-coloured seats were arranged all along the long glass wall from where the girl sat by the foreboding double-doors that led to the interviewing room to the bank of elevators on the far side of the lobby. Behind the massive desk, directly above the receptionist’s fastidiously oiled hairstyle, was the Gemini logo - two interlocking black and white spirals that formed both a white ‘g’ and a stylised Yin Yang.
Evil team time! =DDD

Ironically, if had worked before, she wouldn’t have been striding towards the queue for an interview for a job she honestly had no real interest in.
XD

She had bright orange hair with two black highlights that struck out from her fringe and scythed over her head in a way that suggested she had either far too much free time or far too much hair gel lying around.
Oh dear, more crazy hair ... XD

As she passed the receptionist, she returned her glare with a look that would have made the aide’s precarious perm wither if it hadn’t been fixed there with all the hairpins she could find that morning.

“I suppose,” said Andrea, indicating properly for the first time that she’d actually registered the other girl’s existence. “Obviously,” she continued,

her searching gaze was made all the more intense by the lack of eye contact

her eyes widening in awe at the greenish ball crisscrossed in a web of black lines.

But then, an earsplitting shriek rent the tense atmosphere of the waiting room in two with all the subtlety of a set of bagpipes being run over by a steamroller.

“….AAAAAAAaaaaaaawwwwww!!! It’s so cute!” screamed Lily as her over-excited yell returned from the realms of pitch that bats use to stop themselves flying into cave walls and back into the human range of hearing.

Slowly, people around the room began to realise that the excruciating noise had stopped and the ringing in their ears wasn’t the death toll, and they gingerly removed their hands from the sides of their heads. Finally, Andrea removed hers and turned to glare at Lily.

“Behemoth is not ‘cute,’ she is a highly-trained killing machine,” she corrected through clenched teeth.

“Awww, look,” squee’d Lily, “it’s got a little bit of fur sticking up by the black pointy thing.”

“That ‘black pointy thing’ is a lethal scythe imbued with the powers of darkness and premonition,” fumed Andrea, her facial hue surpassing her hair colour and shooting straight to crimson.

‘Behemoth’ herself, who was in fact a species of Pokemon known as an Absol, seemed uninterested in both the affection and anger she was receiving and, having finished her grooming, pawed the short carpet briefly before curling up and going to sleep.
Whoa there Lily, calm down o.0 I know Absol are cute, but really ... a fuzzy white animal isn't really ... er ... oh, fine. D'awwwwwww~ :3

The red-haired woman stood up, her anger turning to smugness.

but Rai already knew what Pokemon these were.

<Hmmm, the Montama has developed a resistance to the Assurance.>
You are forever awesome for expertly conveying a move that previously made no sense to me whatsoever. *thumbs up*

<I told you not to use it so often.>
XD

simply because we are at the ‘scene of the crime’, as it were.

<So?> said Cree. <Why are you following us?> She glanced around at the many other pairs of eyes staring in from the darkness.

This was too much for the little llama to take; she looked up at her trainer

<No,> she said defiantly, <it won’t happen.>

<Yes it will,> said the Absol, nodding his head as if he was trying to convince himself as much as Cree, <we can feel it coming->

<No, we won’t let it happen,> said Cree.

<You can’t change the futu- > attempted the Absol.

<I’m stubborn, deal with it,> said Cree, gritting her teeth.

<The future is indomitable, your destiny is set in sto- > tried the Absol again, but he stopped when he saw the flickering electricity building up in the Montama’s thick fur.

Cree started growling deep in her throat.

<Actually, I think we better be off. Um, all the best and all that… bye then.> The Absol hastily turned tail and as he left the pool of light, so the other glowing eyes shrank back into the darkness.
Whoo, go Cree! *waves flag* XD

On the other side was a corridor of freestanding partitions

that Lily thought probably contained a five-page list of reasons
Important rule: always write out the numbers, unless they're ridiculously long ones.

In the middle was a man that looked about thirty-five-ish in a pinstriped suit.

And lastly - Lily almost swooned sideways off of the armless chair - was the most gorgeous vision she had ever seen. He sat nonchalantly at an angle on his chair with his right arm draped over the back. His left arm was uncovered by a trendily cut-off sleeve and it rippled with muscles that betrayed the image of a lazy do-nothing he was obviously trying to portray. His light brown hair was cropped quite short except for a cascade that poured over his right eye in style that must have been very inconvenient but was so cool that Lily was practically drooling…
It was only a matter of time before we saw fangirling going on. :eek:

This was the famous Xerxes sat in front of her right now - the man who had singlehandedly catapulted himself into public attention with his ruthless takeovers
Beginning should be "This was the famous Xerxes sitting in front of her right now", or else "The famous Xerxes sat in front of her right now" - either one.

I still love Ice-type Pokemon, though. You can’t grow up in a place like Snowpoint and not like them, my dad always used to say.

“You say you like Ice-types,” said Xerxes.Do you have any Pokemon on you?”

“Yes, Sir,” she said, brightening up slightly.

The brown-haired woman leaned across to Xerxes. “A Froslass,” she said quietly.That’s quite impressive.

Numerous unspeakable objects dropped, clunked and rolled onto the floor, many with no conceivable use to even the most experienced girly-girl. Eventually, a plain red-and-white Pokeball dropped out and settled on the top of the pile of knickknacks already on the floor.

holding up the ball in a slightly overdramatic manner.

in the shadow of his overhanging hairdo.

“Yes, Sir. Right away, Sir,” she muttered.

“You are codename Libra,” he said sternly.

Backstory for Gemini admins is awesome; bonus points for not making them buddy-buddies (or at least not immediately). And Absol~! Love Absol. And so I guess the little Pokemon at the end must be a - *dragged away by spoiler police* Ow. But anyway, yay for more foreshadowing! Which means even more love for Absol ... ^_^

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
You asked for more crazy hair and you got it XD The colour is a bit weird in that it's one of those you could call one or the other, it's hard to explain but I think I'll just make it uniformly green seeing as 'mint green' is probably the best way of describing it. Here are Andromeda and Libra's pages (Libra is getting a redesign, her expression in that pic doesn't really suit her character XD).

I suggest in all seriousness that you do not read Xerxes' page however, unless you want reading the rest of this fic to be utterly pointless.

Also, now that the story's moving around a bit more, you may be interested in having a look at the Cuaro Map.

You can't involve Absol without foreshadowing XD You'll have to wait a while for the resolution of said predictions though because it's time to start off a new character on his journey and rejoin an old one for a chapter. :p

Chapter 5:

Youthville - Professor Gerald Brize (two weeks previously)

A spectacled man with greying brown hair hurried about a small, cluttered room as his white lab coat trailed behind him. Countless piles of books, data disks and sheaves of paper towered discordantly over him like ruinous battlements - lit in harsh contrast by a desk lamp perched precariously on top of its own tottering pile. The man seemed oblivious to his surroundings as he abruptly sat down at a shadowed desk, causing one of the more dramatically leaning towers to collapse into a dusty heap and add to the further mess on the floor.

He cleared the desk in front of him with a purposeful sweep of his hand and placed the file he’d been looking for down in the space he had created in front of his ancient desktop. He sighed and cracked his knuckles and was just about to get back to testing his new fossil regeneration sequencer when…

“Hey, Dad?”

A tall youth pulled open the steel door and walked in casually. His scruffy, brown hair brushed the door frame as he ducked and descended the steps into the cellar-come-office. The bright, white light from the hallway poured in with him and the man at the desk shielded his eyes to allow them to adjust without frying his retinas.

“Arceus, Dad, when was the last time you went outside?” asked the boy accusingly, looking around at the piles of mess stretching into the gloom.

He picked his way towards his father, skilfully avoiding the haphazard stacks with precision that indicated years of practice.

“What are you talking about?” asked the man at the desk confusedly. “I went out to the shop yesterday.”

“That was last Tuesday, Dad,” replied the boy and gave him a look of pity that exceeded his years.

“Really, but… Wait, then today is..?” realised the older man, his eyes widening.

“Yeah,” said the boy sourly, “I was just about to leave but I thought I’d see if you’d remembered first. Obviously I was mistaken.”

The boy turned moodily to leave, but the man called him back.

“Wait, James, have you decided what you’re going to get yet?”

“Yeah, of course I have,” the boy replied, feigning confidence. “But I’m not going to tell you, am I? You’ll have to find out when I get back.”

The man grimaced. Forgetting his son’s birthday was one thing, but forgetting his thirteenth birthday - the day he would pick his first Pokemon and start his journey - that was an entirely different and more painful state of affairs.

It would have been so much easier to guess back in his day when he’d lived in Kanto, thought the boy’s father, remembering his own travelling days with fond nostalgia. But a feeling of incredible guilt that he’d let his work take over his life so much that such an important date in his son’s life had slipped is mind quickly replaced it.

So much had changed in the thirty years since Gerald Brize had started his journey. Those were the days of heroes like Gold and Lucas; all of whom had begun their adventures at the tender age of 10. The ambitious youths of Cuaro today had to wait an extra three years before setting out across the world, but on the plus side, this meant they were that little bit more prepared for the many challenges they would face along the way.

Another advantage of moving to Cuaro, thought Gerald. In Kanto he had been head of experimental technology at the Cinnabar Lab - a complex that had grown so huge that it now covered almost the whole of the surface of the small Cinnabar Island and also stretched beneath the ground to make use of the geothermal energy that had fuelled the now dormant volcano. But he’d decided to move to the up-and-coming region of Cuaro when James was still a baby to take a less demanding job at the Youthville Lab that (in theory) would give him more time to be with his family.

“Dad, I’m going to go now, okay?” James said out loud, but his father was completely lost to nostalgic thoughts of his past.

James groaned. “Never mind, see you later, Dad,” he said loudly.

And with that, he stormed sulkily out of the room, slamming the door at the top of the stairs on his way.

Gerald suddenly snapped out of his stupor as the door slammed shut. His posture drooped as he realised that he had made things even worse for himself when his son came back later. That is, if he did bother coming back after that.

***​

Eventually, James did return home to pick up his gear, but he quickly attempted to leave without seeing his father again. Gerald had suspected as much though and had been waiting for him at the front door.

“James, wait!” he said as his son saw him and turned to leave by the back door instead.

James stopped and turned around again. He glowered at his father from beneath his scruffy fringe, made even more prominent by the ‘lucky’ goggles he always wore on the top of his head.

“I wanted to give you something,” said Gerald, reaching into his coat. “Wilfred probably already gave you one but…”

He brought out his hand clutching a broad, rectangular object made of hard, red plastic.

“Yeah, Professor Alder already gave me a Pokedex, Dad,” said the boy.

“But this isn’t just any Pokedex, James,” said Gerald. “This is a new prototype. Professor Oak from Kanto just finished designing it and he asked me to check it out for him.”

Now that his father had mentioned it, it did look a bit different to the Pokedex he’d just received. It was about the width of two standard ‘dexes put together and it looked more like a laptop than the standard mobile-esque design.

“Well what does it do?” asked James, unimpressed.

“It functions like a normal Pokedex, but it also works like a laptop with internet capabilities so that it can connect directly to the online ‘dex database, and it has a word processor too and all sorts,” explained Gerald, popping open the ‘dex to reveal a wide screen and a touch-sensitive pad that was currently showing a keyboard. “Personally, I don’t think it will catch on when all the young trainers these days have PokeDevs,” he added, pointing to the expensive device on his son’s wrist. “But I thought you might like it anyway.”

“Won’t Professor Oak mind that you’re giving it away?” asked the boy.

“Oh no,” assured Gerald. “It needs a good beta-run anyhow and he’s sent a test-unit to the Cinnabar Lab as well. He just thought I’d like to have a look at it after the time I spent in Experimental Tech over there.”

James knew his father was just trying to make himself feel better, but he knew he really did mean well too. Even if he was a dopey idiot sometimes.

He sighed and took the Pokedex from his dad’s outstretched hands. He slipped it into his backpack and turned back to his father.

“I’m sorry I forgot it was you’re starter-collection day, James,” said Gerald, looking ashamedly down at his feet. “Can I still see what Pokemon you picked?” he asked gingerly.

James looked far from appeased but he nevertheless took the red and white Pokeball off of his belt and released it’s occupant. After a brief flash of white, a small, red lizard with black markings around its eyes and along its slender body appeared on the hallway carpet. It glanced around furtively and then glowered up at its trainer’s father from beneath its spiky eyebrow ridges.

“Oh, an Anoyl, good choice,” said Gerald. “Obviously you take after your father,” he added, winking.

It was said that your starter type choice reflected your personality; James’ father’s starter back in Kanto had been a Charmander which he’d named ‘Crimson.’ The flaming-tailed reptile was now a Charmeleon and spent most of his time lounging in front of the fire in his favourite armchair but had been a fierce battler in his day.

Suddenly, the Anoyl jumped onto James’ leg and nimbly clambered up over his jacket using its sharp claws. It took up a position on his shoulder and raised its head, baring a streak of oily skin on the underside of his chin. It hissed at Gerald and with ‘wumph’ of combusting air, it ignited the oil and flared a crest of flames along it’s throat.

Gerald grinned. “I see he has the Anoyl’s famous protective nature then,” he remarked.

“Yeah,” said James, absentmindedly stroking the back of the Anoyl’s head, “and he’s a pretty good battler too.”

“Oh really?” queried Gerald. “You’ve already had your first battle have you?”

“Only with the Jones’ kid,” explained James nonchalantly, “and he chose the Fledgeleaf so I had the type-advantage anyway…”

“Ah, that leaves Fluffin for next-doors’ next week, she’ll be happy,” said Gerald. “Still, a battle is a battle, and if this is a sign of things to come then you look set to be Champion in no time!”

He grinned even more broadly and pulled his son into a less-than-mutual hug. James winced and his Anoyl hissed again but he allowed his dad the ‘fatherly’ moment.

“Right then,” said Gerald, releasing his son and putting on a jokingly stern voice, “you better get going. Those Gym Leaders aren’t going to give up their badges for nothing, you have training to do!”

James smiled despite his best efforts. “Okay, Dad. I’ll be back in a few months,” he said, picking Anoyl up off of his shoulder.

Gerald moved out of the way and opened the door for his son. “Wrap up warm and don’t drink the water and all that,” he advised.

James rolled his eyes. “Yeah, sure, Dad. Bye,” he said.

He strode off down the garden path and Gerald watched him as he turned the corner.

“Oh!” he remembered suddenly as he waved. “Say hello to your brother for me if you see him!” he called after his youngest son.

***​

Souhgem Port - Psymon and Ethar (present day)

After a day of stocking up their supplies (and stomachs) and skilfully avoiding the docks, Psymon and Ethar decided that it was time to move on from the crowded city of Souhgem.

Ethar was still a bit hazy about where exactly he wanted to go, but he and his psychic partner both agreed that taking the seldom-used path beneath the Cycle Road to the north would offer the least chance of being recognised or bothered by any passers-by.

On the way to the northern border of the city that sprawled like a sun-bathing Krabby on the craggy coastline, the pair found their way blocked by a large group of people crowding around some sort of commotion in the centre of the port’s main square.

Ethar and Psymon had a trick for getting through crowds. Ethar let his partner walk ahead of him and the pair simply strode through the group of people unhindered. Psymon employed the tiniest amount of psychic suggestion to make the people in his way want to step slightly to the left for some reason or suddenly realise that the spot a couple of inches to their right was a much better place to stand, all things considered.

Soon, they were standing side by side in the centre of what turned out to be a large ring of people. In the centre was the subject of their attention - a Pokemon battle.

It looked like it had been a spur-of-the-moment thing, but the battle itself was almost over. On one side a young boy with scruffy brown hair was determinedly calling out attack after attack to a small, yellow and black rodent-like Pokemon. On the other a middle-aged man in sailor uniform was exasperatedly trying to egg-on a decidedly worn-out-looking blue and yellow marine Pokemon that Ethar recognised as a Horsea.

“Now, Jerbolt, finish it with Spark!” shouted the youth on Ethar’s left.

“Dodge, Horsea, quick!” called the sailor from the right.

The boy’s Pokemon - which was apparently called a Jerbolt - sprinted across the makeshift arena, building up a crackling charge in its fluffy coat as it sped along on its powerful-looking hind legs. Its slender tail, with its fluffy tip, stuck out behind it, acting like a rudder as it sprinted and it had its over-sized ears folded flat along its head for minimum air resistance.

The sailor’s seahorse Pokemon frantically tried to hop out of the way, but it was far too clumsy on dry land and could do nothing to evade the fast-approaching electrical attack. With a thud and a sizzle of discharged static, the two Pokemon collided and the sailor’s Pokemon was thrown backwards. It rolled to a stop at its trainer’s feet, knocked unconscious by the super-effective attack.

Judging by the man’s expression, that was his last Pokemon, and if that wasn’t enough evidence that the battle was over, the youth’s imperious sneer would have given it away from a mile off.

Both trainers recalled their Pokemon and the crowd cheered and clapped briefly before closing the impromptu battle ring and returning to their business. Ethar craned his neck over the swirling sea of heads, he wanted to get a closer look at that kid. There! Heading towards the seafront, that was his head with those ridiculous goggles.

“Psymon, can you..?” he asked hopefully.

“‘Fraid not,” replied the psychic, “they’re going in too many directions at once. I’d just make it worse.”

“Bah, looks like it’s the hard way then,” he resolved. Both trainer and Pokemon began pushing their way through the crowd as politely as possible.

***​

Eventually, Ethar and Psymon jostled their way out of the crowd and made their way towards one of the cities piers - where Ethar had seen the boy heading after his battle.

After the bustling activity of the square, the quiet seafront was a calm relief. It was still quite early and the pier, which was flocked with tourists in the evenings, was practically deserted.

There was just one figure out on the boards - the boy from earlier was sat out over the water with a slender fishing rod in his hands. Ethar walked calmly over to the boy and stood behind him slightly to his left. Though apparently the boy had seen him coming.

“Yes?” he asked, leaning backwards and giving Ethar a searching look out of the corner of his eye. “Can I help you?”

“I just wanted to congratulate you on your battle,” he explained. “That… oh, what was it called… Jer-something of yours was quite spectacular.”

“How can you not know what a Jerbolt is?” asked the boy with a look of cynical puzzlement.

He wedged the handle of his rod between the boards and stood up to face Ethar. “You’re not from around here are you?”

“No,” admitted Ethar. “You’ve got me there. I just arrived here a few days ago from… somewhere else. I haven’t really had time to familiarise myself with the local Pokemon, or the local people.”

<Except one,> s******ed Psymon. <I think we left quite a lasting impression on that dock-hand.>

“Quiet, Psymon,” snapped Ethar, aloud.

James looked at him strangely, but he stuck out a fingerless-gloved hand with an expression that suggested he was doing so more out of some kind of duty than free will.

“I’m James,” he announced.

“The name’s Ethar,” replied the taller youth, taking James’ hand and shaking it warmly.

“Is that Pokemon yours?” asked the boy, noticing Psymon standing a little way off. “That’s a Gardevoir, isn’t it? I’ve never seen one that looked like that though.”

“Uh, yes it is,” said Ethar, surprised by how easily the young trainer had identified his partner. “And Psymon is… not like other Gardevoir.”

“Hmm,” said James. “It looks a bit weird if you ask me.”

Ethar was slightly taken aback by the boy’s bluntness but he had no time to voice his opinion as he was suddenly distracted by a splashing in the water below - the boy’s rod had a bite.

The boy yanked the rod out of the wood and hauled it up, reeling in the line as he did so. Whatever Pokemon was caught on the end was certainly putting up a fight - James looked like he was straining to keep the handle in his grasp as it bucked and pulled against his grip.

“Here, let me help,” offered Ethar, reaching for the rod.

“No!” James shouted, shocking Ethar into withdrawing his hand. “I have to catch it myself.”

“I was only going to help-” mumbled Ethar.

The boy grunted and gave the rod one last yank. Finally, there was a loud splash and the thrashing Pokemon was hauled up out of the water into the view of the two trainers. For a change it was a Pokemon Ethar recognised - a Carvanha.

Psymon and Ethar got quickly out of the way as the boy swung the rod round and dumped the Pokemon on the pier. The red and blue fish thrashed about like, well, a fish out of water, gnashing its fearsome teeth and flapping its barbed, yellow fins.

James reached for his belt and detached a Pokeball.

“Go, Anoyl,” he called, releasing yet another Pokemon Ethar had never seen before.

“Hang on,” said Ethar, “that looks like a Fire-type. Why are you using that against a Water-type when you’ve got an Electric-type as well?

“He needs training,” answered James simply. “Jerbolt beat that sailor’s whole team, Anoyl hasn’t battled anything since we got here.”

Ethar didn’t think this was quite good enough an excuse to pit a Pokemon against another which you knew had the advantage, but he kept his view to himself and let the boy battle as he wanted.

“Right, Anoyl, use Scratch,” ordered James.

The lizard skittered across the wooden beams towards the Carvanha. The fish was unable to evade the reptile’s sharp fore-claws as it raked them across its exposed belly. The Water-type was not the only one to take damage though - the Anoyl flinched and pulled back after its initial attack as the Carvanha’s Rough Skin ability agitated its limbs. As the Fire-type retreated, the wild Pokemon took its opportunity and propelled itself after its assailant with a flick of one of its pectoral fins. It hopped a short distance into the air and came down on the Anoyl’s tail with its mouth wide open. It instantly clamped its jaws shut in critical Bite attack.

The Anoyl hissed and flared up its fiery dewlap, shocking the fish into letting go. It scampered back a short way and stood up on it’s hind legs, baring its crest of flames as a warning of what was to come.

“Now, Anoyl, Ember,” called James.

The lizard dutifully dropped back down onto its forelimbs and fired a stream of orange, glowing spheres from its open mouth.

After landing awkwardly when it let go of Anoyl’s tail, the Carvanha was yet again unable to dodge and was badly singed all along one side. Though, instead of losing consciousness as James clearly expected it to, it started flailing about even more madly than before and a faint red glow spread across its spherical body.

“That looks like a Rage attack,” commented Ethar.

“Yeah,” agreed James. “This one’s a tough little fighter - just what I’ve been looking for.”

“You’re going to catch it?”

“That’s the plan. Anoyl, one more Scratch!”

The flaming reptile leapt on the piranha Pokemon once more, scratching it across the same place it had been burnt. The Carvanha attempted to tackle the lizard with its pent-up Rage attack but Anoyl easily dodged and landed one final barrage of scathing slashes. The water Pokemon flailed briefly but then finally gave up and rolled over, its fins hanging limply at its sides.

“Excellent,” said James. He unhooked a presumably empty Pokeball and hurled it at the Carvanha.

Red light poured out and enveloped the Pokemon, transforming it into a stream of energy as it sucked it inside. The red and white capsule shook once… twice… three times, and then settled with a satisfying click.

James walked casually over to the ball and picked it up.

“Water. Check,” he said under his breath.

Anoyl jumped onto his trousers and clambered up onto his shoulder as he fixed the ball back on his belt.

“Wait, what do you mean, ‘Water. Check.’?” asked Ethar.

“It’s nothing,” said James and made to walk off.

“Now hang on, are you saying you caught that Carvanha purely because it fitted in with your team’s typing?”

“So what if I did?” asked James defensively. “I’m building a balanced team for Gym challenges, what’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing,” said Ethar. “It’s just most trainers don’t plan in that much detail. How long did you say you’d been on your journey?”

“Just under two weeks,” replied the boy.

“What?! Really? You have two Pokemon with skills like that already in less than a fortnight?” asked Ethar, amazed by the newbie trainer’s progress.

“Three Pokemon,” James corrected.

“Yes, well exactly, I didn’t catch my second Pokemon until… well… Let alone a third!”

“Well if you’re done gawping at me,” said James with a touch of pride, “I have to get to Russet for my next Gym battle.” He turned to leave again and started walking off while Ethar was still stunned.

“Wait!” he called after him eventually.

James turned around slowly an arched an eyebrow. “Yes?”

“Russet City? That’s at the other end of the Cycle Road, isn’t it?”

“Yes,” replied James quizzically.

“Uh, well, could I maybe hang around with you for a bit?” asked Ethar nervously. “I’m going out that way anyway and I could do with learning a bit more about the Pokemon around here.”

The boy seemed to consider Ethar’s proposition for a brief moment before answering.

“Well you’re not sharing my tent or anything,” he said with a warning look, “but I can’t stop you going the same way at the same time.”

Ethar looked shocked and then laughed nervously.

“Share your-? Oh dear Arceus no, I just meant…”

He noticed James snickering under his breath trying not to laugh out loud.

“Oh ha ha, very funny. So I can accompany you?”

“Like I said…”

“Ugh, yes, okay, I get the picture.”

James turned and started walking off for the third time.

“So what other Pokemon do you have?” he called over his shoulder.

Ethar ran to catch up and Psymon followed after him.

“Well aside from Psymon, I have a Slowbro named Hermes and…”

***​

The two trainers wandered back into the city proper and then James led the way towards the checkpoint on its northern edge that would take them out onto the Cycle Road. Soon they were well on there way and James was fully occupied explaining his roster plans to an enraptured Ethar and very bored Psymon.

*** ***​

You didn't have to repost it, I was going to review anyway =P Seeing as I'm still exhausted from New Year's, I'll lay off on the nitpicking and let the smaller errors go for now. *everyone cheers in relief*

Countless piles of books, data disks and sheaves of paper towered discordantly over him like ruinous battlements
The word discordantly has to do with jarring noise, so unless these are specially engineered piles ...

“I’m sorry I forgot it was your starter-collection day, James,”

“Obviously you take after your father,” he added, winking.
This confused me a bit; it made me think Gerald was talking about someone else. o0;

It hissed at Gerald and with ‘wumph’ of combusting air, it ignited the oil and flared a crest of flames along it’s throat.
Niiiice!

Soon, they were standing side by side in the centre of what turned out to be a large ring of people. In the centre was the subject of their attention - a Pokemon battle.
... So they just walked into the middle of a battle? It doesn't seem like it from the events afterward, but that's what this bit suggests.

Ethar and Psymon jostled their way out of the crowd and made their way towards one of the city's piers
Using "their way" twice and so close together is kind of repetitive.

“that looks like a Fire-type. Why are you using that against a Water-type when you’ve got an Electric-type as well?"

“Well you’re not sharing my tent or anything,” he said with a warning look, “but I can’t stop you going the same way at the same time.”

Ethar looked shocked and then laughed nervously.

“Share your-? Oh dear Arceus no, I just meant…”

He noticed James snickering under his breath trying not to laugh out loud.
*snickers as well*

James is a bit of a jerk, but I can see why. I'd be too if I had a dad as airheaded as his. XD At least his ego's justified in spite of his Pika clone, if I visualized Jerbolt correctly and he's got an awesome Anoyl to go with it. Of course, this leads me to weird pondering on whether the professor will have the starters replaced by the time Rai gets there.

As for Libra and Andromeda ... wow, I get what you mean. That is some wacky hair. Libra's hair color makes sense, though. My bad. =P

oh, and i c wat u did thar with their names.

DarkLava

Cyclone of Darkness~
Yes, it is I, the ever un-faithful DarkLava, back to catch up on loads of Equilibria chapters read your new rewrite :D I was going to say I was disappointed that you backtracked and I'd have to read all the chapters I have before before getting to new stuff, but now that I've read this so far I feel you've made the right choice - you've kept all the best things and the new stuff makes it even better. XD I see DDT is doing your grammar-spotting for you (and I'm no good at that anyway) so seeing as I never really reviewed properly last time I'll focus on the general stuff.

Characters: Rai is an interesting character, his persona needs some work I think (which I'm sure you'll develop as time goes by) but it's refreshing to have a main char who isn't the standard get-Pokemon-from-Prof.-and-go type. I mean, he even has a job. XD
Speaking of which, Zach is probably my favourite character. The vision I have of him with his Einstein-esque hair and "multicoloured caftan" is hilarious. I hope we get to see some more of him even though Rai's left the village. :(
Ethar is another good one, his character is coming through loud and clear as the sort of happy-go-lucky guy when he's in a good mood, but haunted and broody when he thinks about his oh-so-mysterious past (why do you torment me so!). His interactions with his Pokémon are great too, I can't wait for more banter between him and Psymon. ^^
Psymon I feel deserves his own slot as you've really developed him well in the short periods of screen-time (is there a fic equivalent? XD) he's had. A male Gardevoir should make for some hilarious mix-ups in the future and he already seems like he's got something to prove. The changes to the standard Gardevoir were a bot confusing though so if your artist's not got some more vital characters lined up I'd love to see what you had in mind. (Yes, I did take a look at some of the character's pages and I love the artwork and obvious effort you're putting in. And no, I didn't look at Xerxes' page but you have no idea how hard for me to restrain myself. ><)
I agree with DDT that James seems a bit of an arrogant jerk, but every fic needs an anti-hero, right? And I also agree Jerbolt seems a bit Pika-clone-ish.
I'll leave the syndicate (I assume that's what they are anyway :p) for after we've seen a bit more of them.

As for Cuaro in general, it seems like a great setting for a fic and I really hope we get to see a lot more of it - I love having a world to explore along with a story. The fake Pokémon are all ingenious so far, especially the Ampifear line and the llamas (llamas ftw!) and I'll try and keep up with them as they come, even if the numbers keep up like they are. @_@

So yeah, I'll try and come back regularly but, as you know, I'm not exactly the most attentive of readers. I hope you carry on with this idea, it has some great potential.

DL.

Last edited: