• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Et tu, AIM Triton? Don't use it.... it's bloated

Eileen

Queen of Orudoran
Et Tu AIM Triton? Translation: Even you AIM Triton?

The newest version of AIM, released 3 months ago have people's computers becoming slower due to bloatware. AIM Triton requires you to install AOL Browser, AOL Toolbar, and alot of hidden applications including the spyware application, Viewpoint. You cannot remove these or AIM will just reinstall it.

Even if you close the program, the computer will still be slow.... because of hidden AOL Background tasks running in background. There is no visible way of quitting them.

Now you feel betrayed by AOL, right?

Avoid at all costs. Stick with 5.9 or switch to the open sourced GAIM..

Post here about your taughts.

Last edited:

Trip

Former Staff Member
Latios said:
Well it doesn't matter to me since I use AOL, and I keep it down to the "essential" processes it needs to run. And I get a free virus scanner and an effective anti-spyware program. <3

Oh and Viewpoint Media isn't spyware. It has an uninstaller and it's not recognized as spyware. Just because it installs without your knowledge doesn't make it spyware (it's only spyware when it does something commercially beneficial to another group).

And even if there's background processes, I don't think anyone's ever heard of msconfig. o_o
Free virus scanner? You call McAfee worthwhile? I question your sanity. First thing I do when I sit down at a computer to repair it is remove Norton or McAfee as they are both bloated and ineffective. McAfee, in the last test I saw, caught 6% of spyware infections, compared to the top ranking CounterSpy (from Sunbelt Software) which caught over 80%.

As far as Triton, I tried it once and that was enough. I don't run Windows anyway on my primary computer, but on my Win2k that I keep for my TV tuner and video converting, I've got an old version of AIM and have no intention of updating.

- Trip

Trip

Former Staff Member
Latios said:
I don't use it for anti-spyware, AOL has it's own, and I couple it with MS Anti-Spyware. Besides, if I should really question what the hell I'm doing on the internet if I have a spyware problem. Well, can you suggest a free anti-virus software that catches, removes, cleans, and has real time scanning that doesn't require paid subscription?

Sure I would recommend AVG or something else like that to a PC that has pre-2003 parts... But if I had the same virus scanner on my old AMD PC (which was an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton and with 512MB of generic DDR233 RAM) and had that thing loading Windows faster than this PC, then PC performance? Pfft, why should I worry?

I was going to say, the McAfee antispyware is a joke! Hardly catches anything. I recommend the MS solution, which you already use, in conjunction with Spybot.

I'm not understanding your next-to-last sentence there, but I would recommend AVG. Both Norton and McAfee are extremely bloated and very resource-intensive. Anything with a realtime scanner will be, but I find AVG to give the smallest performance hit.

Actually, you might want to look into using AVG for real-time protection and then AntiVir for doing scans, as I find that AntiVir, while being very slow to scan, is very thorough and picks out a lot of stuff that I've seen Norton, McAfee, and AVG all miss (or catch and then not be able to delete or fix NORTON). Shame there's no realtime scanner for AntiVir.

- Trip

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Alyssa Picariello said:
The newest version of AIM, released 3 months ago have people's computers becoming slower due to bloatware. AIM Triton requires you to install AOL Browser, AOL Toolbar, and alot of hidden applications including the spyware application, Viewpoint. You cannot remove these or AIM will just reinstall it.

Even if you close the program, the computer will still be slow.... because of hidden AOL Background tasks running in background. There is no visible way of quitting them.
Ending aim6.exe and aolsoftware.exe in the taskbar doesn't do it?

I just use Trillian. I hate AIM because it's so unstable, like pretty much all of AOL's software.