1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Et tu, AIM Triton? Don't use it.... it's bloated

Discussion in 'Technology Help' started by Eileen, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Eileen

Eileen Queen of Orudoran

Et Tu AIM Triton? Translation: Even you AIM Triton?

The newest version of AIM, released 3 months ago have people's computers becoming slower due to bloatware. AIM Triton requires you to install AOL Browser, AOL Toolbar, and alot of hidden applications including the spyware application, Viewpoint. You cannot remove these or AIM will just reinstall it.

Even if you close the program, the computer will still be slow.... because of hidden AOL Background tasks running in background. There is no visible way of quitting them.

Now you feel betrayed by AOL, right?

Avoid at all costs. Stick with 5.9 or switch to the open sourced GAIM..

Post here about your taughts.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. Trip

Trip Former Staff Member

Free virus scanner? You call McAfee worthwhile? I question your sanity. First thing I do when I sit down at a computer to repair it is remove Norton or McAfee as they are both bloated and ineffective. McAfee, in the last test I saw, caught 6% of spyware infections, compared to the top ranking CounterSpy (from Sunbelt Software) which caught over 80%.

As far as Triton, I tried it once and that was enough. I don't run Windows anyway on my primary computer, but on my Win2k that I keep for my TV tuner and video converting, I've got an old version of AIM and have no intention of updating.

- Trip

3. Trip

Trip Former Staff Member

I was going to say, the McAfee antispyware is a joke! Hardly catches anything. I recommend the MS solution, which you already use, in conjunction with Spybot.

I'm not understanding your next-to-last sentence there, but I would recommend AVG. Both Norton and McAfee are extremely bloated and very resource-intensive. Anything with a realtime scanner will be, but I find AVG to give the smallest performance hit.

Actually, you might want to look into using AVG for real-time protection and then AntiVir for doing scans, as I find that AntiVir, while being very slow to scan, is very thorough and picks out a lot of stuff that I've seen Norton, McAfee, and AVG all miss (or catch and then not be able to delete or fix NORTON). Shame there's no realtime scanner for AntiVir.

- Trip

4. ShiningClefairy

ShiningClefairy Meteor Trainer

Ending aim6.exe and aolsoftware.exe in the taskbar doesn't do it?

I just use Trillian. I hate AIM because it's so unstable, like pretty much all of AOL's software.