• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Euro 2016 Thread

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
I can't believe it's not an actual thread yet! Who are you cheering for? Who do you think is going to win?

Host: France
Start date: June 10 (France vs. Romania)

I'm cheering for Poland. They have a solid defence with Krychowiak as a holding mid, Glik as a centre-back, and Piszczek as a wing-back. They also have a strike partnership made in heaven (Lewy and Milik) with Jakub on the wing.

I'm cheering for good old England (because, well, I'm English).

Seeing as this tournament is eight teams larger than last time around, I'd be please with getting to the quarter finals, but we're limited to that, I feel, due to Roy Hodgson's involvement. He's in place to bring through the youth and evolve the squad, but not to win anything. And I'll be gutted too if we don't too our group.

All that being said, the last four will be four from Belgium, Germany, France and Spain, I feel - their teams are just on a different level, though, at such a late stage in the tournament, it'll be a free-for-all for the prize. I wanted France to come out and win it, but semi finals with such a young squad would be decent too.

As for Poland, let's see if Lewa's up for the challenge!

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
This starts in three days? I'm Dutch, so what do I care.. xD

No, seriously.. Normally the country would be every inch an orange nation.. But.. It's just not happening here, because it simply is not happening with us there.

I've never been this not-hyped for a big end-tournament. And I get hyped over the Copa America as a European..

That being said, we just weren't good enough. Yes, could-be winners of the WC2010 and 3rd in Brazil.. But all but three (Sneijder, Robben, Huntelaar) or perhaps four players (RvP) that carried the team from 2010 are gone. In fact, if you look at the most recent squad (Robben wasn't in shape, Sneijder had schedualing conflicts, Huntelaar thanked for the friendlies, RvP wasn't called upon), there's none that played in South Africa. Van Gaal got great results in Brazil with a relatively young group, but that hack Hiddink threw everything into the gutter and logically, Blind (just too inexperienced) just couldn't salvage it in that short amount of time.

In the Netherlands, people are calling van Gaal arrogant, because he didn't manage ManU to a championship, but at least he brought in some great players like Rashford, or basically.. youth. Blind gets criticized because he was the manager when we "didn't qualify", but Hiddink for some reason manages to slip under the radar when it was him that threw our nations squad under the bus.

As for which team I'll support? I'm a sucker for the underdogs and my last vacation was to Wales (and technically two nights in England). So that's probably my pick I'll follow during their groupstages. Probably several others during the groups as well (NorthIreland!!! xD). But during the final rounds, I'm hoping Belgium keeps up the good form.

I can't believe it's not an actual thread yet! Who are you cheering for? Who do you think is going to win?

Host: France
Start date: June 10 (France vs. Romania)

I'm cheering for Poland. They have a solid defence with Krychowiak as a holding mid, Glik as a centre-back, and Piszczek as a wing-back. They also have a strike partnership made in heaven (Lewy and Milik) with Jakub on the wing.

Who do I think is going to win.. A toss-up between Germany, Spain and Belgium I'd reckon. I think England, France are outsiders. I could see Portugal, Iceland and Croatia being surprises as their groups aren't that hard in comparison. Dat Croatian midfield.. Modric, Raketic, Kovacic.. supplying the ball onto Mandzukic.. If they get the ball rolling, then they should be able to score a lot.

Sweden gets rear-ended yet again though.. They missed the World Cup in Brazil (it was either Ronaldo or Zlatan), and now they get stuck with Belgium and Italy. Ouch..

Didn't Poland just lose to the Netherlands recenly in a friendly? Milik plays in the Dutch League, and is painfully one-legged. Sure, Lewandowski is legend (5x9), but I'm not a fan of Milik.

I'm cheering for good old England (because, well, I'm English).

Seeing as this tournament is eight teams larger than last time around, I'd be please with getting to the quarter finals, but we're limited to that, I feel, due to Roy Hodgson's involvement. He's in place to bring through the youth and evolve the squad, but not to win anything. And I'll be gutted too if we don't too our group.

All that being said, the last four will be four from Belgium, Germany, France and Spain, I feel - their teams are just on a different level, though, at such a late stage in the tournament, it'll be a free-for-all for the prize. I wanted France to come out and win it, but semi finals with such a young squad would be decent too.

As for Poland, let's see if Lewa's up for the challenge!

Stop, I'm still crying.. T.T

As for the four you mentioned, yeah.. Those are the four I'm sticking with, with anything else being a welcome surprise.

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
If the young French players (I'm looking at you, Martial and Coman) really step it up, France should be guaranteed for quarters, maybe semis.

Can't wait for this! My predictions:

1. France
2. Switzerland
3. Romania
4. Albania

1. England
2. Wales
3. Slovakia
4. Russia

1. Germany
2. Poland
3. Northern Ireland
4. Ukraine

1. Spain
2. Croatia
3. Turkey
4. Czech Republic

1. Belgium
2. Italy
3. Sweden
4. Ireland

1. Portugal
2. Iceland
3. Austria
4. Hungary

1. Austria (F)
2. Turkey (D)
3. Slovakia (B)
4. Sweden (E)

Winners in BOLD
Switzerland vs Poland
Spain vs Slovakia
England vs Turkey
Portugal vs Italy
Germany vs Austria
Belgium vs Croatia
France vs Sweden
Wales vs Iceland

Poland vs Spain
England vs Italy
Germany vs Belgium
France vs Wales

Spain vs Italy
Germany vs France

France have only beaten Spain twice in the last 10 years (last 7 fixtures), so poor picks (no Hatem Ben Arfa or Benzema) as well as injuries (Varane) will culminate in a Spanish revolution and French heartbreak.

Spain 2 - 0 France

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
Can't wait for this! My predictions:

I would put Russia 2nd in Group B, and Austria 2nd in group F, but solid choice.

Also: France 2-1 Romania

Giroud (58th)
Stancu (65th pen)
Payet (89th)

Full Time

Theo-92

So England dominating their first match was weird. Shame about the draw but these things happen in footbal.

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
Yeah, what the heck was Hart doing? Also, why not vardy and barkley for subs?

Locormus

Don't know who put some strange herbs in de Bruyne's beer, but what a weak game.. :S

Not that I'm a fan of Italian football, because just kicking the ball high over the midfield is just not a tactic I enjoy seeing.

Don't know who put some strange herbs in de Bruyne's beer, but what a weak game.. :S

Not that I'm a fan of Italian football, because just kicking the ball high over the midfield is just not a tactic I enjoy seeing.

Belgium really didn't play well overall against Italy. Lukaku was virtually anonymous, De Bruyne was awful and playing two central defenders as you fullbacks is not usually a good idea. People were expecting big things from Belgium but based on that performance I don't see them going too far (hope I'm wrong though).
This group could actually get interesting if Belgium don't up their game. I'm starting to think my beloved Ireland could win against them and make it out of the group!

Locormus

FFS. These overtime goals are killing me!

Yeah, what the heck was Hart doing? Also, why not vardy and barkley for subs?

Hart yet again not flawless vs. Wales..

And Vardy, I still contest his goal. That was offside, even if the ball got to him by Williams header. Here's why:

FIFA: "A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage."

Considering that Williams was trying to clear the ball away from the goal (but failed in execution), means it was a deliberate save, which in turn means that Vardy had gained an advantage by positioning himself offside.

If Williams' header wasn't a deliberately try to save, then it makes Vardy onside, but considering he's trying to head Sturridge's cross away or over the goal, it definitely was an attempt at a deliberate save. Hence offside. Hence a bad call. Hence the goal should've been scrapped.

Freaking BBC commentators calling it "great, brilliant officiating", of course it is when you get an offside goal out of it.

Belgium really didn't play well overall against Italy. Lukaku was virtually anonymous, De Bruyne was awful and playing two central defenders as you fullbacks is not usually a good idea. People were expecting big things from Belgium but based on that performance I don't see them going too far (hope I'm wrong though).
This group could actually get interesting if Belgium don't up their game. I'm starting to think my beloved Ireland could win against them and make it out of the group!

It already was an interesting group with Belgium, Italy and Zlatan F.C.

Navin

MALDREAD
Sweden vs Italy was so painful. Worst best but somehow effective team in the world.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Conte is a tactical genius, and bringing the best out of the worst Italian side I've seen for a while.
He's gonna be tough to face off when he's at Chelsea.

I want Spain to win, 3rd Euro in a row. People will be salty af about it and that's gonna be fun. Especially at the cost of beating France at the finals.

Last edited:

Locormus

Here's a statistic: 14 out of 42 goals were made in the last 10 minutes of the game and extra time, lots of them being deciding goals.

That's 33%...

I made a joke in my football-team app, that it was refreshing to see goals not made in that timeframe.. This was the first half.. I should've known that the equalizer was coming in the extra time.. -.-

Sweden vs Italy was so painful. Worst best but somehow effective team in the world.

Agreed.. I honestly think that a 1vs1 tie would've been more appropriate looking at both the first half and second half.

What was really painful to watch was Croatia's "fans" screwing over their own team, they had been disrupted so much that they give away a win.

Conte is a tactical genius, and bringing the best out of the worst Italian side I've seen for a while.
He's gonna be tough to face off when he's at Chelsea.

I want Spain to win, 3rd Euro in a row. People will be salty af about it and that's gonna be fun. Especially at the cost of beating France at the finals.

Their first half disaster disagrees with you. And bypassing the Belgian midfield by playing long passes isn't really showing him as a tactical genius, just average tactics.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
He's doing whatever he can do with an average Italian squad. But anyways they're out the next round.

Turkey were crap during the match. The way they folded. Iniesta is a delight to watch on his best days.

Locormus

He's doing whatever he can do with an average Italian squad. But anyways they're out the next round.

Turkey were crap during the match. The way they folded. Iniesta is a delight to watch on his best days.

I don't think the current Italian squad is average, by a mile it isn't. Buffon, Chiellini, Motta, Pellè, Maybe when comparing Italy to their greats, but when looking at the current competition, it's definitely above average.

I have no clue what the Turkish were doing, but that offside goal by Morata killed any attempt they had left. And then it got gloomy again when they started booing Arda Turan.. In other news, a former Turkish national team player has been charged with four years of prison because he offended Turkish president Erdogan.. Makes you wonder if the current squad are going to get sentenced as well, because they were an embarresment. No offense to any Turkish here, I'm Dutch and the Turkish took the 3rd place in our qualifying group.. So it's disappointing to see them do this badly, when we could've been there if not for them.

I'm looking forward to Belgium in 50 minutes. Should be better then their last match.

Last edited:

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Belgium looked loads better. Fellaini is such a nuisance. God I hope United sells him soon.
But realistically, Wilmots is holding them back

Theo-92

Little late but Hart hasn't really had anything to do except for Bale's freekick, which he should have handled better. Pretty sure against tougher opponents he'll come through.

Anyways caught the 'Ronaldo' vs Austria game. Just not his tournament for the time being. Props to Austria though, well deserved it.

Belgium looked loads better. Fellaini is such a nuisance. God I hope United sells him soon.

Me too, never reaĺly been a fan of his.

Last edited:

Locormus

A bit late with this but... WALES COME ON! xD