• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

EV Guide Upgraded version! Place for EVs and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mew..

What do you want?

hemslow

UU Trainer
I'm sure this has been asked before (possibly by myself!) but I can't find it anywhere so I'll ask again. What happens if you battle a Pokémon that gives speed EVs, and you are holding a power item that gives +4 in another stat. For example if I fight Gastly holding Power Weight do I get 1 speed EV and 4 HP EVs?

I'm sure this has been asked before (possibly by myself!) but I can't find it anywhere so I'll ask again. What happens if you battle a Pokémon that gives speed EVs, and you are holding a power item that gives +4 in another stat. For example if I fight Gastly holding Power Weight do I get 1 speed EV and 4 HP EVs?

Yes, that's how it works. The Power item will add 4 EVs to the appropriate stat, and you will still get the EVs from the Pokémon you battle, in another stat.

Just a couple of examples to clarify -
If you had a Power Anklet(+4 Spd EVs) and defeated a Gyarados(+2 Atk EVs), then you would gain 4 Speed EVs and 2 Attack EVs from that battle. Or should you be holding a Power Band(+4 Sp. Def EVs) and you defeat a Geodude(+1 Def EV), then you would gain 4 Special Defence EVs and 1 Defence EV from the battle.
If on the other hand you had a, say, Power Lens(+4 Sp. Atk EVs) and you KOed a Pokémon that gave the same EVs as the Power item, such as Gengar(+3 Sp. Atk EVs), then you would get 7 Special Attack EVs from the battle.

Remember that Pokérus, if you use it, will double all EVs gained. So with the first example you would get 8 Speed EVs and 4 Attack EVs, the second example would be 8 Special Defence EVs and 2 Defence EVs. And with the third example you would get 14 Special Attack EVs.

hemslow

UU Trainer
Yes, that's how it works. The Power item will add 4 EVs to the appropriate stat, and you will still get the EVs from the Pokémon you battle, in another stat.

Just a couple of examples to clarify -
If you had a Power Anklet(+4 Spd EVs) and defeated a Gyarados(+2 Atk EVs), then you would gain 4 Speed EVs and 2 Attack EVs from that battle. Or should you be holding a Power Band(+4 Sp. Def EVs) and you defeat a Geodude(+1 Def EV), then you would gain 4 Special Defence EVs and 1 Defence EV from the battle.
If on the other hand you had a, say, Power Lens(+4 Sp. Atk EVs) and you KOed a Pokémon that gave the same EVs as the Power item, such as Gengar(+3 Sp. Atk EVs), then you would get 7 Special Attack EVs from the battle.

Remember that Pokérus, if you use it, will double all EVs gained. So with the first example you would get 8 Speed EVs and 4 Attack EVs, the second example would be 8 Special Defence EVs and 2 Defence EVs. And with the third example you would get 14 Special Attack EVs.

Thanks for the clarification. Another question, this time on berries. If the stat the berry will reduce is below 100, it reduces the EVs by 10. If it is over 100, it reduces the EVs to 100. If the EVs are over 200, say 252, would the first berry reduce down to 200, the second reduce to 100, and the next 10 get you to 0, or would the first berry from 252 drop you straight to 100?

Thanks for the clarification. Another question, this time on berries. If the stat the berry will reduce is below 100, it reduces the EVs by 10. If it is over 100, it reduces the EVs to 100. If the EVs are over 200, say 252, would the first berry reduce down to 200, the second reduce to 100, and the next 10 get you to 0, or would the first berry from 252 drop you straight to 100?

It would drop it from 252 to 100.
So if there are 101-255 EVs in a stat, then the first berry brings it down to 100. And if there are 1-100 EVs then each berry reduces them by 10. Of course if there are 1-10 EVs left, then the berry will reduce them to 0.

So you won't ever need to use any more than 11 of one type of EV reducing berry on a Pokémon, to fully wipe the EVs in one of it's stats.

For it's stat to be as high as it will possibly go, then yes it has to have 31 IVs in the given stat(31 is the highest amount of IVs a Pokémon can have in one stat).

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as breeding, egg pokemon get their attack ivs from the father right? So my next target to ev train is rhyperior (breeding rhydons for it). So that mean that I have to keep on catching wild rhydons until I get one with 31 attack iv, otherwise there is no way to breed 31 ivs into an egg unless one of the parents has it right?

Dig-kun

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as breeding, egg pokemon get their attack ivs from the father right? So my next target to ev train is rhyperior (breeding rhydons for it). So that mean that I have to keep on catching wild rhydons until I get one with 31 attack iv, otherwise there is no way to breed 31 ivs into an egg unless one of the parents has it right?

I don´t think the Attack IV come always from the father
The IV that it inherits is random as far as I know

And as u said, correct me if I´m wrong, someone else
:D

Volteon

Back I guess??
You can hatch Pokémon with flawless IVs, it's just easier if one of the Pokémon in DayCare has the flawless stat, but of course you can hatch a Flawless attack Rhyhorn.

Because of the chance you have inheriting stats, catching a wild Rhyhorn with Flawless attack is easier than hatching one with it (again, if the parents don't have it)

Anyways, you should look for the breeding guide:
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=261577

GengarToo

Hi,

I start to excuse myself for this message first.
I'm a total noob and I feel this site is like " seeing through the trees the forest anymore". (expression)

So obvious the information i'm asking is (or should be) somewhere, I kindly ask you to help me find it.
(thanks).

so here's my question:
whats the relation between ev's and iv's.
before you give your answer let me tell you I've read the ev/iv/breed under game mechanics.
I cannot say I understand it totally but majority, yes.

why this question:
I was training/breeding the following pokemon:

Crobat - #169 (Jolly)
HP: 21 - 22
Att: 5
Def: 20 - 21
SpA: 9
SpD: 23
Speed: 20

Crobat - #169 (Jolly): 21 - 22 / 5 / 20 - 21 / 9 / 23 / 20

The following Hidden Power Types are possible:
Electric, Ice, Psychic

The following Hidden Power Attack Powers are possible:

(thanks to metalkid IV calculator).

I have ev trained 4 hp, 252 attack and 252 speed.
(I have put in the calc. the level hp etc values of level 48, 49 and 50.)
the characteristic is hates to lose (which is special deffense 3,8,13,18,23,28).

My question is focussed on the following:
why do I only have 5 IV's for attack while I put 252 Ev's into attack?

with it I also ask myself the question; whats more important; the nature (jolly) or the characteristics (hates to lose).

And: would a jolly crobat with alert to sound be a speedier pokemon? (or jolly crobat with like to trash about having more attacking power?)

I'm just starting to breed/train and I'm wondering if I'm not putting myself into much effort while the result is still not what I was hoping for or expecting to get.

2nd question: if your making a poffin from a berry that reduce ev stat. will the poffin lower the ev stat also?

I humble ask your serious response to teach this noob more.

tks.

Icosahedron

レミオロメン♪
First of all, thank you for explaining your question clearly and thoroughly. If you are truly a n00b, then you have already taken a large step to being taken seriously. I will be happy to answer your questions.

For your first question, the answer is simple: there is nearly no relation whatsoever between IVs and EVs. The ONLY similarity between them is that the higher they are, the higher your stats will be. Other than that, there is, again, no relation. For example, you could have a Pokemon with no Attack EVs but a flawless Attack IV. Or, like your Crobat, it could have 252 Attack EVs but a very low Attack IV. The amount of EVs you give your Pokemon has no effect on its IVs, and of course the Pokemon's IVs have no effect on its EVs.

As for the nature or the characteristic being more important... well, it really matters what they would be important for. Actually, the nature and the characteristic are two very different things. While the characteristic only tells you your Pokemon's highest IV, and which digit it ends in, the nature... well, the nature does a lot of things. Most importantly, it determines what stats grow faster and slower. In terms of stats, having a better nature is more important than having a better characteristic. But you can't really compare the two, since they do completely different things: the nature affects stats, and the characteristic just tells you about your Pokemon's IVs.

A Crobat with Alert to sounds might be a speedier Pokemon. The characteristic "Alert to sounds" only tells you that your Crobat's highest IV is Speed, and that it ends in a 1 or a 6. In other words, there is a chance that the Speed IV is actually 26. It could also be 21, or even 1 (which would really suck!). While the characteristic helps, it's best to first check your IVs with the calculator. If, in fact, your Crobat had a flawless 31 Speed IV, then yes, "Alert to sounds" would mean it would be faster. Similarly, if it had a flawless 31 Attack IV, then yes, "Likes to thrash about" would mean it would be more powerful.

As for your last question, no. Only the berries lower the EVs. If you make a poffin out of them, then that effect no longer remains.

I hope I helped. Good luck with your future breeding and training.

Dig-kun

Just completing the last preview with an example
cuz I understood like this:

First of all, if the pokémon IV and EV is 0 at the level 100, let´s say the att stat would be 350.
Let´s say a pokémon has Att IV: 20
So, if you evolve it to lv.100 without EV, you should get a pokémon with 370 at attack
And let´s say you´ve put 252 EVs at attack, so this means you got more 63 attack stats points (if you don´t got why this 63, reply :) )
So, at level 100, this pokémon will have 433 at attack.
(And don´t forget the nature can change things, can increase 10%, decrease 10%, or even don´t change anything)

:D
Hope I could also explain

GengarToo

As for the nature or the characteristic being more important... well, it really matters what they would be important for. Actually, the nature and the characteristic are two very different things. While the characteristic only tells you your Pokemon's highest IV, and which digit it ends in, the nature... well, the nature does a lot of things. Most importantly, it determines what stats grow faster and slower. In terms of stats, having a better nature is more important than having a better characteristic. But you can't really compare the two, since they do completely different things: the nature affects stats, and the characteristic just tells you about your Pokemon's IVs.

A Crobat with Alert to sounds might be a speedier Pokemon. The characteristic "Alert to sounds" only tells you that your Crobat's highest IV is Speed, and that it ends in a 1 or a 6. In other words, there is a chance that the Speed IV is actually 26. It could also be 21, or even 1 (which would really suck!). While the characteristic helps, it's best to first check your IVs with the calculator. If, in fact, your Crobat had a flawless 31 Speed IV, then yes, "Alert to sounds" would mean it would be faster. Similarly, if it had a flawless 31 Attack IV, then yes, "Likes to thrash about" would mean it would be more powerful.

Thank you for your answer.
What I'm looking for is:" does the IV have direct influence on your pokemon stat values".
For instance a pokemon with IV 31 in speed having a higher speed then the same pokemon with IV 25 (obvious probably? but...) will you see this in his stat value.
Other thing is; can you ev train that pokemon with IV 25 to match the IV 31 pokemon in speed? or just bad luck breed further for higher IV's?
Thank you.

Kyogre35

First avy..no touchy
What I'm looking for is:" does the IV have direct influence on your pokemon stat values".
For instance a pokemon with IV 31 in speed having a higher speed then the same pokemon with IV 25 (obvious probably? but...) will you see this in his stat value.
Other thing is; can you ev train that pokemon with IV 25 to match the IV 31 pokemon in speed? or just bad luck breed further for higher IV's?
Thank you.

A Pokemon with 25 in IV's will have 6 less in that stat at level 100 than one with 31 in that stat.

Oh and an announcment Hemslow is wirting a new EV guide! My "Where to EV train" will be the second post in it so I'll still have that there.

I'm running a few things by him but I think it will be a great guide.

Icosahedron

レミオロメン♪
Thank you.

Let's say we have two Jolly Crobats, Crobat A and Crobat B. They both have no Speed EVs. However, Crobat A has a Speed IV of 25, while Crobat B has a Speed IV of 31. At Lv. 100, Crobat B will have, as Kyogre35 said, 6 more Speed than Crobat A. Basically, IVs add points to the stat at Lv. 100. Having a 31 IV will mean that you will get 31 extra points to that stat at Lv. 100 than if you had a 0 IV. So yes, IVs directly influence your stats.

It IS possible to do that, but only if Crobat A has more Speed EVs than Crobat B. If they have the same amount of Speed EVs, then Crobat B will ALWAYS win. I hope that answers your question.

I have a low level Milotic, and am EV training it in Def. It is holding the Power Belt (+Def) and training on Geodude, therefore +5 EV for Def every kill. Although, since it is only level 11 so far, it does not know any attacking moves yet, and can't kill the Geodude. So i switch out to my Golduck to own the Geodude.

Now, would Milotic still get 5 Def EVs or only 1? I read somewhere it will only get one but somewhere else it said it would get full. Please clarify.

Ansem

I have a low level Milotic, and am EV training it in Def. It is holding the Power Belt (+Def) and training on Geodude, therefore +5 EV for Def every kill. Although, since it is only level 11 so far, it does not know any attacking moves yet, and can't kill the Geodude. So i switch out to my Golduck to own the Geodude.

Now, would Milotic still get 5 Def EVs or only 1? I read somewhere it will only get one but somewhere else it said it would get full. Please clarify.

Ansem

It would still get 5. All that is necessary is that is participates in battle, however briefly. It doesn't have to actually KO it to get the full EVs from the foe and the Power item.

Don't forget that Milotic can learn the HM Surf. The Geodude around route 207 are common and low leveled, and their 4x weakness to Water would make them easy for Milotic to OHKO.

Thank you Halcyon XIII, although i have a moveset planned for it.
In 2 levels it learns Water Pulse anyway.
I was beginning to get worried because Milotic was getting hardly anything for levelling in defence, but i remembered that all the EV level gain is spread throughout the various levels.

Ansem.
Shinies ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.