• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

EV Guide Upgraded version! Place for EVs and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petal

Care to elaborate?
Hey, I've read through What/Where/Why/How of EV's and I've decided to EV train a Lotad that I've been breeding, I've just got the right natured ones and am about to spread pokerus onto it and head out onto the field.

Now to my question; What is good to count what EV's I've trained so far? And if so, what do I count? Current EV's/Pokemon Killed??

VTUSH

<---Hatched
Hey, I've read through What/Where/Why/How of EV's and I've decided to EV train a Lotad that I've been breeding, I've just got the right natured ones and am about to spread pokerus onto it and head out onto the field.

Now to my question; What is good to count what EV's I've trained so far? And if so, what do I count? Current EV's/Pokemon Killed??

Okay, just go out find out what pokemon you have to verse to get the certain EVs in the desired stat. Then see how much EVs they give, then multiply them by two since lotad has pokerus. Ask yourself how much Evs you want in that stat. Then use that to find out how many of the pokemon you need to defeat to get that ammount of EVs.
such as bidoof gives 1 HP EV multiply that by 2 because of pokerus. So now each time you defeat a bidoof you get 2 HP evs. say you want 252 Evs in HP so you divide 252 by 2 = 126 so you have to defeat 126 bidoofs to get 252 Evs
Then once you've found that out just mark off after you've defeated the pokemon until you reach the number of pokemon you need to defeat.

Last edited:
Okay, the best way, that i do it as well, is to grap a notepad/paper and a pencil.
Every time you kill the selected Pokemon (In my case Geodude) I write I.
I need to get 252 EVs, so I need 50 battles with the Geodudes (1 EV from them +4 from Power Belt) and another 2 without the Power Belt.
After 3 battles I write III, and after 5 I write IIII with a slash through the middle for convenience when counting. Then leave a space and re-do the procedure.
So 6 kills would look like:
IIII(/) I

Hope i helped.
Giovanni

Dig-kun

Okay, the best way, that i do it as well, is to grap a notepad/paper and a pencil.
Every time you kill the selected Pokemon (In my case Geodude) I write I.
I need to get 252 EVs, so I need 50 battles with the Geodudes (1 EV from them +4 from Power Belt) and another 2 without the Power Belt.
After 3 battles I write III, and after 5 I write IIII with a slash through the middle for convenience when counting. Then leave a space and re-do the procedure.
So 6 kills would look like:
IIII(/) I

Hope i helped.
Giovanni

I write down too
4 me to not get out of the count
And I save every 5 EVs
I have every detail of my Salamence in papers
XD

Icosahedron

レミオロメン♪

You could count PP lost, assuming you OHKO the Pokemon you're fighting (such as OHKOing Geodudes with Surf) and assuming each Pokemon you defeat gives the same number of EVs (for example, if you OHKOd 15 Starly with Surf, you could see that you used up 15 PP and know that you got 15 Speed EVs). Just make sure you remember the number you've killed/number of PP used if you go to heal your Pokemon in the PokeCenter. An alternative method is to use the Poketch's Counter application for every EV you gain. The problem I encountered, however, was that I often forgot to press the counter in between fighting Pokemon. It's up to you.

I highly recommend using the Power items in your case, since with PokeRus and the Power Belt (which ups Defense EV gain), you get a whopping 10 Defense EVs from every Geodude you fight! Again, just using Defense as an example since that's what I'd assume you're training your Lotad in, haha.

Last edited:

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
This EV guide is complete. Congratulations! ^__^

Petal

Care to elaborate?
Hey, I've got my equation for EV training in Sp. Atk and it looks something like this.

EV's needed 152. (252-Calciumx10)

For example my pokemon has Pokerus and Power Lens' equipped It would look something like this 152 / (2 * (4 + 1)) = 15 Remainder 2.

After killing 15 Budews (1 Sp. Atk) I would take the Power Lens' off and kill one more Budew to fill up the two remainder?
15( 2*(4+1)) = 150 EV's + 1x2(Last Budew No Lens)

Cheers

Last edited:

Icosahedron

レミオロメン♪
Hey, I've got my equation for EV training in Sp. Atk and it looks something like this.

EV's needed 152. (252-Calciumx10)

For example my pokemon has Pokerus and Power Lens' equipped It would look something like this 152 / (2 * (4 + 1)) = 15 Remainder 2.

After killing 15 Budews (1 Sp. Atk) I would take the Power Lens' off and kill one more Budew to fill up the two remainder?
15( 2*(4+1)) = 150 EV's + 1x2(Last Budew No Lens)

Cheers

Yes, that would work nicely.

If you are EV training in another stat, you could also use that last Budew to help. For example, if you also want to EV train in Speed, give Budew the Power Anklet when you fight the last Budew. That way, you get the last 2 Sp. Atk EVs as well as 8 Speed EVs.

Blurgh, I either miscounted or i don't know what happened..
I finally finished EV training my Milotic.
So i went to go get the Effort Ribbon to see if i had done it perfectly.
I didn't get a ribbon, it said i hadn't trained it hard enough.
I was angry.
I used a drink to gain in sp. def and it worked, and one in HP and it worked. Then i got the ribbon.
But now, my EVs are not accurate and how i wanted them.
Although, I had trained my defence well because it couldn't drink an iron. Same with Speed.
So it seems I messed up with Sp. Def and HP.
My Miltoic, when training HP, had the Power Weight on. I needed 68 HP EVs, so i went to fight the trainer with two Gastradons. Gastradon gives 2 EVs for HP, so 4 per battle plus the Power Item bonus makes that 20 EVs per battle. So i battled him 3 times, got 60 EVs in HP, then took the Power Item off and fought him twice for another 8 EVs.

For Sp. Def i fought Tentacool (1 Tentacool = 1 Sp. Def EV). I was holding the Power Band to promote Sp. Def growth. I needed to get 82 EVs in Sp Def, So i fought 16 with the Power Item on, totalling 80 EVs, then twice without the Power Item, to have 82 EVs in Special Defence.

Where did i go wrong?
Incase i didn't have enough EVs on a certain stat, i checked how much all the EVs i put on should add up to.(Should add up to 510)
252 Def + 108 Speed + 68 HP + 82 Sp. Def
= 510 EVs.
So what happened?
I am frustrated now because i have to plant berries to get 11 of each of the stat reducing berries.
Someone please tell me what i have done wrong.

Petal

Care to elaborate?
I'd just like to say thanks to the resident posters here. I've just finished successfully EV training my Lotad x].

Your help has been very much appreciated.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Hi, I was just looking at your guide and I think you missed a trainer, not 100% sure but I looked and he didn't seem to be there

Ace Trainer Felix has a level 55 Dusclops and 55 Salamence, when I was training my Glaceon (Using lv100 Articuno as the on ewho gives him the exp). He's gets like this:
3+ Hp (A couple of times was 4)
2+ attack
3+ Defense
3 Sp attk (Hp and SP attack seems to be the primary part of it)
2+ Sp. Def
2+ Speed

I think he's worthy of being on the list isn't it? Correct me if I am wrong though, I am only just started paying attention to those values.

Icosahedron

レミオロメン♪
You messed up in HP. You say you get 20 EVs from each battle with the Gastrodon trainer? Wrong. He has two Gastrodons, and the Power Weight gives 4 extra HP EVs for each Pokemon you defeat, so that's 12 HP EVs per battle, not 20. Fighting him three times makes 36 HP EVs; add the final 8 you got from beating him twice without the Power Weight and you have 44 HP EVs, not 68.

252 Def + 108 Speed + 44 HP + 82 Sp. Def = 486 EVs. Then you added +10 to HP and Sp. Def, leaving you with:

252 Def + 108 Speed + 54 HP + 92 Sp. Def = 506 EVs.

Hmm... that is strange. Are you sure you didn't also mess up in Defense and Speed? You DO know that you can't feed a Pokemon the vitamins when they have more than 100 EVs in that stat, right? For example, if your Milotic had 200 Def EVs, you would NOT be able to feed it an Iron, even though it doesn't have maximum Defense yet.

Last edited:
Why thank you very much :D
I might try that now. And if it works, you are a genious.
Wait, I remember completely now.
I did something stupid. I thought i needed 62 EVs in HP so after fighting the trainer with two Gastradons I went and fought two bidoofs without the Power Weight.
Maybe it will now calculate to be well?
I used first the Zinc then the HP Up, just to let you know. Infact, I used two zincs, now that i remember. Each time I used one I checked with the lady. So i used two, she didn't give the ribbon, so i used one on HP.
I think that should balance the equation..

Last edited:
You messed up in HP. You say you get 20 EVs from each battle with the Gastrodon trainer? Wrong. He has two Gastrodons, and the Power Weight gives 5 extra HP EVs for each Pokemon you defeat, so that's 14 HP EVs per battle, not 20.

Don't you mean, the Power Weight gives an extra 4 HP EVs, and battling two Gastrodon would result in a gain of 12 HP EVs.. ?

Edit: I see you corrected already :p

Petal

Care to elaborate?
No problem buddy, Good luck with the future.
What's next on your list to EV train?
Aye, My next task be breeding Electrike's for a good nature to set up my Rain Dancing / Thunder Spamming Ludicolo/Manectric Double battle partners :p

So I'm breeding for a bit, then going to be EV trianing.. And then to the battle tower for some practice!

Icosahedron

レミオロメン♪

Unfortunately, I don't deserve that compliment. I made a mistake - the Power items only add 4 EVs, not 5. This complicates things; refer to my above post.

Haha, yes, halcyonXIII, that was a foolish mistake of mine. It is unfortunate, however, since it throws off the whole equation.

Petal

Care to elaborate?
Gah, Just realised that I never caught an Electrike when they were swarming >_<.

Back to the drawing board.

Icosahedron

レミオロメン♪
Wait, I remember completely now.
I did something stupid. I thought i needed 62 EVs in HP so after fighting the trainer with two Gastradons I went and fought two bidoofs without the Power Weight.
Maybe it will now calculate to be well?
I used first the Zinc then the HP Up, just to let you know. Infact, I used two zincs, now that i remember. Each time I used one I checked with the lady. So i used two, she didn't give the ribbon, so i used one on HP.
I think that should balance the equation..

Yes, that makes a lot more sense now.

So basically, you got 36 HP EVs from fighting the Gastrodon guy three times, then 8 more from beating him two more times without the Power Weight. 2 more from the Bidoofs mean you had 46 HP EVs.

252 Def + 108 Speed + 46 HP + 82 Sp. Def = 488 EVs.

Adding the two Zincs and the HP Up leaves:

252 Def + 108 Speed + 48 HP + 102 Sp. Def = 510 EVs.

As you can see, you only got 2 HP EVs out of the HP Up this time. Now, in order to reach your desired EVs, simply feed your Milotic 2 Grepa berries and then fight four Bidoofs, holding the Power Weight (to gain 20 HP EVs).

That should do the trick, with any luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.