• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

EV Training Advice

Nexus

Premiere Ball Enthusiast
This will probably come off as being a bit of a silly question, especially among those who are serious in terms of their training of their Pokemon.

The truth is that I've been making an effort to EV train my Pokemon specifically in order to bring out the best in them using the EV training items like Power Weight, Power Bracer, Power Belt ect.

I know that in EV training there are two limits;

- Each Pokemon can have a maximum of 510 EV's.
- One stat can have a maximum of 255 EV's.

As it stands right now this is my team;

Jolteon: Modest Nature
- Speed Stat maxed out

Togekiss: Bashful Nature
- Special Attack Stat maxed out

Scizor: Adamant Nature
- Attack Stat maxed out

Absol: Serious Nature
- HP Stat maxed out

Kingler: Brave Nature
- Defense Stat maxed out

What I'm trying to figure out is which stat I should max out next.
Would it be beneficial to try and max out the stats which have been hindered because of Natures?

Or should I instead focus on maxing a stat which would fit with the stat that I've already maxed out?

Any advice?

AromaFlora

floofy
Try the help thread next time. =)

As for what stats to max out for your Pokemon, well, considering what you have now, I would do this: (assuming you only want to do 252 / 252 spreads btw)

Jolteon: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / (4 Def or SpD)

A stat can have 255 EVs, yes, but it only needs 252 to be fully maxed out. So, you might as well preserve 6 EVs (or 4 to be more accurate) to get a point for another stat.

Togekiss: 252 SpA / 252 HP / (4 Def or SpD)

If you have Thunder Wave on Togekiss, it doesn't really need its Speed stat. By then, it can have the benefit of both sides by maxing its HP stat.

Scizor: 252 Atk / 252 HP / (4 Def or SpD)

Same as Togekiss, except this time it's more reliant on abusing its typing to switch in (which the HP EVs help do) and using Bullet Punch to overcome its slow Speed.

Absol: 252 HP / 252 Atk / (4 Spe)

You really should have went 252 Spe or Atk there. It needs its Speed to outspeed some of the slower threats in the tier (mainly walls). Otherwise, this is the best you can do. Sucker Punch will save the Speed problem a bit though.

Kingler: 252 Atk / 252 Def / (6 Def or SpD)

Again, you shouldn't have gone with Defense on a sweeper like Kingler. 252 Spe or 252 Atk first off would've been better so that it can outspeed threats while threaten with its own attacks.

If it's your first time, don't fret and you'll get used to it. EVs make all the difference in the world.

In reality, here's what I would've aimed for (you have a good portion of them right!):

Jolteon
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Baton Pass
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Specs
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Togekiss
move 1: Air Slash
move 2: Thunder Wave / Body Slam
move 3: Aura Sphere / Nasty Plot / Substitute
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
ability: Serene Grace
evs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD

OR to take advantage of what you have now...

Togekiss
move 1: Air Slash
move 2: Aura Sphere
move 3: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
ability: Serene Grace
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Scizor
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Pursuit / Quick Attack
item: Choice Band
ability: Technician
nature: Adamant
evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe

Absol
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Night Slash / Psycho Cut
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
ability: Super Luck
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Kingler
move 1: Agility
move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: Crabhammer
move 4: Return
item: Life Orb
ability: Hyper Cutter
nature: Adamant
evs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe

(yeah i'm a badged smogon member so i can quickly access to the database and copy/paste what i want lol)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Nexus

Premiere Ball Enthusiast
Sorry that I may not have posted in a more appropriate area... I searched among the many boards for a fitting place and thought perhaps this would make due.

Thank you so much for all the input and advice. I am taking it all into consideration. This is the first team I've ever put effort into specifically breeding and training in hopes of having something a little more polished then normal.

I'm not really into competitive battling, I just wanted to raise them properly with consideration to them so they weren't flat out useless if I ever did want to use them to compete a little.

I'll probably have to run with the suggestions in terms of how to bring out the best in what I already have since I'd rather that then have to restart training and breeding for new ones.

Thank you again though :D