• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Event Pokemon...

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
The thing that annoys me most about event pokemon is that when these events happen, they inevitably don't happen for everyone. For example, an event that only comes out in Toys R Us stores. Well fantastic, if you happen to live near a Toys R Us. if you live on the other side of the country? No pokemon for you!

At the very least they should put all event pokemon out over wifi. I understand that a lot of us don't have wifi, but most could at least make an effort to get access to it for a short period of time. Finding a wifi point for one day is a HELL of a lot easier than hopping a train several hundred miles cross-country because you want an Arceus that only appears in-store in a certain city on a certain weekend (< yep, I did that).

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
Autismic said:
Groudons big enough to be a god.
I guess people should really start treating the blue whale as a God now.

I think event should stay as events, otherwise they would lose their value. The reason why events are valued is because not all people can get ahold of them, which means that the people who haven't got access to events are the very people who make events what they are, rare.

UltimateVictini

DittoMustWinPrez ⌐_⌐
I think that some Pokemon should be non-event. But, there is good reason for events, I mean, that if a Pokemon wasn't an event, they would be less important and nobody would be all exited about them. If there was a Giratina with spacial rend, roar of time, and shadow force, there would definitely be an event, cause it was special. I think they only made events for special Pokemon that could activate certain in-game things or just have a move that it couldn't learn normally or something.

Firebrand

Indomitable
The only gripe I have is that I wish event pokemon would have a story of some sort, like, a sidequest that takes a little time. Instead of just obtaining the pokemon right off, or getting x item and going to y place where z pokemon appears to battle.
No, it'd be more fun if it was like it was in the ranger games, where to get the event pokemon, you needed to do the mission. This would obviously only work for legendaries or very special pokemon, kind of like how zoroark was. Things like... the DW Togekiss, or Mamoswine, these wouldn't exactly work out.

I don't think it's really all that farfetched. We've seen it happen with the event celebi in HGSS. Technically, you didn't need to do the sidequest to get the pokemon, but the event unlocked it. If GF programmed a few things like that per game, it would make events more fun than just "Oh, hey, you obtained z pokemon with no work at all! Yay!"

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Celebii should be available in-game but only in HG/SS.

randomspot555

What makes you defend event Pokemon so much in terms of recieving them?

Because of the event legendaries, there's only about 15 or so that actually are exclusive to events.

Phione, Manaphy, Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi are all available in some sort of side or spinoff game.

Furthermore, the key items for Shaymin, Darkrai, and Victini were distributed on Wi-Fi for several days during promoted periods of said event. Anyone who wanted them could've easily gotten it during that time. Jirachi and Mew individually even had Wi-Fi events all for themselves, no key item necessary.

Do you not find it annoying or difficult to do?

Not really. There is absolutely nothing that could be done short of literally delivering a distribution cart to your house. Anyone who still has difficulty, between the several promotions (which are not in any way kept secret) via Wi-Fi and in-store distribution is in the extreme minority and thus still can trade for them.

Would you not prefer your own OT instead of theirs?

They're event Pokemon. They aren't supposed to have your own OT.

Besides the fact they would be easier to obtain and therefore lose some sort of value, in which case a rule could be made where the player has to catch every other Pokemon, or battle 'X' amount of trainers, I don't see why your against it so much.

Typically, that isn't how event Pokemon are distributed, at least not the ones exclusively tied to events. That was the case with a Ho-Oh in Gen 3 when, at the time, it was the only way to get one.

It would be easier for everybody to enjoy every apsect of the game and not have to miss out.

There's still 95% of the game available to them. We're talking about a dozen or so Pokemon where you absolutely have to attend an in-person event. It's not like they're being shortchanged, and they can still trade.

Five generations later, they've made it easier than ever to get these things, and yet people still complain.

Or just use the numerous in-game glitches in Gen 1 to obtain infinite numbers of Mew and other legendaries, lol jk. I'm glad the new Generations don't have glitches such as that and legendaries/events require effort to obtain, but a few more event opprtunities couldn't hurt. On a side note though, all that screwy programming in Gen 1 is part of what made those first pokemon games so fun.

On a side note, while there are some interesting glitches, almost none of them are encountered during normal gameplay. You pretty much HAVE TO go out of your way to find them. But yes, they were interesting and part of why Gen I was unique.

In-store event stuff

Is there a reason you can't trade for it? The "trading market" is pretty much, IMO, a facade. You find the right person and they'll be practically giving away some event Pokemon becuase most Gen 4 "movie"/major events are really, really common and hold no real "value" unless they have very high IVs.

I think that some Pokemon should be non-event.

Like, um...all but about 20 or so? Yeah, that's exactly what has happened. The super vast majority are not exclusive to events.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
If event pokemon were in game they wouldn't be event pokemon anymore >.>

pseudoman

Theres an event porygon-z?

Also they should be accessible ingame, but the very special ones should be through very difficult means, such that only a true hardcore player could get to them.

Another idea involves the GTS and wifi, in which if you make a certain number of successful trades either the pokemon would be sent to you, you can unlock the pokemon through mystery gift, or once you have the data of enough pokemon you can unlock a pokemon of your choice. It would make trading pokemon a much more appealing aspect of playing pokemon.

BCVM22

but the very special ones should be through very difficult means, such that only a true hardcore player could get to them.

And what defines a "true hardcore player", to the degree that you would restrict certain content to be accessible only to such players?

Vandslaux

To Gamefreak/Nintendo, there is only one thing that determines a pokemon's value, it's legitimacy. GF/Nintendo doesn't care if somebody's asking for a lv. 100 for a lv. 1 on the GTS.

And, on topic, I think it's fine the way it is. Really, we don't need an easier way. We could use some BW past gen event legends, like another Shaymin event, though.

Also, it'd be nice if it had your OT so you could NN it.

Last edited:

pseudoman

And what defines a "true hardcore player", to the degree that you would restrict certain content to be accessible only to such players?

I dunno, maybe finding all of the pokemon of one region to access the event-only pokemon from that region.

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
This is a game aimed primarily for kids. They shouldn't have to become hardcore gamers to get a rare Pokemon. Convincing their parents to drive them to Toys r us is probably enough of a challenge. I know it was for me when I was little.

pseudoman

Im starting to feel hardcore was the wrong word.

Devoted?

randomspot555

This is a game aimed primarily for kids. They shouldn't have to become hardcore gamers to get a rare Pokemon. Convincing their parents to drive them to Toys r us is probably enough of a challenge. I know it was for me when I was little.

I'd imagine most kids wouldn't be obsessed enough to even find out of some event that happened 2-4 years ago, let alone even own a game for that era. Most kids playing own the current gen and that's all they play.

Smugleaf&Mudkip

Heart Tamer
I think they should, especially since there are people out there (eg. me) who don't have any way to access Nintendo Wifi to actually acquire them. I'd love for those Pokemon to be accesseble in-game.

andregon

^Other than the last rule that's exactly what I'm talking about. Catching every other Pokemon is ridiculously difficult and almost no one would have those legends. The events are easy, at least :p

At least those pokémon wouldn't lose their value AND anyone at anytime could get them

I stand for: "Every person alive at any time should get the same experience with games as if they were just released"

In pokémon, If I start a new DP game, I would never get the same experience as if I played them when they were released (because of all the events I already missed).

I'm not saying event pokémon shouldn't exist, event pokémon should be Pokémon with moves that would normaly be impossible to get and/or shiny legendaries (being impossible to get shiny legendary by normal methods)

All of the arguments against events in this thread run afoul of these very simple facts - that life is not fair, and you are not being deprived of any essential material for not being able to obtain the events. If one's desire is to respond with an impassioned argument about "striving to make everyone's situation better" - through children's video games and the monsters within, no less - or whatever you prefer, then by all means, do so. I'm simply pointing out that these are the realities of the matter, and if the reality doesn't suit you personally, that's unfortunate, but the fact is that the reality suits the majority, which is what matters in the end.

And as for completing the Pokédex, it will register as complete if you obtain every critter save for the event giveaways. So there's that.

If you play a normal game like Sonic (Sega Genesis) or Tomb Raider (PC, Sega Saturn, PS), you will have the same experience as all the gamers who bought those games since the day they were released. And, most importantly, you can beat them.

If you play an online game like World of Warcraft you will have access to many timed events, like those you find in Pokémon. However those events are repeatable (halloween, christmas events, etc) and they are just an extra (you can complete the game without a single event).

Pokémon main objective is "catch em all". However you can only "catch em all" if you play them at a certain time, living in the right place and even then that may not be enough.

Does that make any sense?
What's the point of playing a game we know we'll never beat?
How about people (like me) living in countries were Nintendo events will never come?
What to say about people who were to young to play videogames and now will never have the chance to have Deoxys and Jirachi on RSE or Celebi in GSC?

There is only one word that depicts games you can never beat: UNFINISHED

In my opinion Pokémon games are unfinished games like Assassins Creed, where you need to buy the last 2 freaking levels if you want to beat it (or so I heard).

I'm simply pointing out that these are the realities of the matter, and if the reality doesn't suit you personally, that's unfortunate, but the fact is that the reality suits the majority, which is what matters in the end.

By the way, there are more people with NO chance at all to get those events than people who actually do. So that point is totally false.

Last edited:

randomspot555

I stand for: "Every person alive at any time should get the same experience with games as if they were just released"

That's nice, but that isn't how modern gaming works. There's content released for specific stores, DLC that is up for limited amounts of times, expansion packs released, and all types of jazz.

Pokémon main objective is "catch em all".

No it isn't.

You mentioned in one of your previous paragraphs that these other games, that you can still "beat" them.

Let's ignore the fact that you can't really "beat" Pokemon since there's no real ending, let's assume the end is the E4/Champion (when the credits typically roll).

How does not having a Mew prevent you from challenging the E4?

It doesn't.

Pokemon's overall main point is going on adventures with your Pokemon. What people do beyond that is up to them. Some people battle, some people trade, some people breed. Others like contests or musicals, or they use their imagination for other side-tasks.

However you can only "catch em all" if you play them at a certain time, living in the right place and even then that may not be enough.

Not true. Many legendaries are not needed to complete the national dex. It is 100% possible to complete the dex by owning only the games and catching/breeding Pokemon yourself, as long as you allow for some trades for evolutions.

What's the point of playing a game we know we'll never beat?

As discussed, you don't "beat" Pokemon by getting everything. The moment you completely fill your dex, absolutely nothing happens.

How about people (like me) living in countries were Nintendo events will never come?

What part of "trading" is hard to understand?

What to say about people who were to young to play videogames and now will never have the chance to have Deoxys and Jirachi on RSE or Celebi in GSC?

Celebi was NEVER distributed for GSC outside of Japan.

So what do you expect game companies to do? Offer support for games that are several years old, on consoles that aren't even manufactured anymore?

The whole entitlement nonsense in this thread is astounding.

Over 20 Pokemon. You guys are acting like the game is actively repressing you. There are over 600+ Pokemon to enjoy yet you all focus on the relative few you don't have.

By the way, there are more people with NO chance at all to get those events than people who actually do. So that point is totally false.

Several Wi-Fi events have happened as well. Whose fault is that for missing it?

RoySceptile

Bakaner
That's nice, but that isn't how modern gaming works. There's content released for specific stores, DLC that is up for limited amounts of times, expansion packs released, and all types of jazz.

No it isn't.

You mentioned in one of your previous paragraphs that these other games, that you can still "beat" them.

Let's ignore the fact that you can't really "beat" Pokemon since there's no real ending, let's assume the end is the E4/Champion (when the credits typically roll).

How does not having a Mew prevent you from challenging the E4?

It doesn't.

Pokemon's overall main point is going on adventures with your Pokemon. What people do beyond that is up to them. Some people battle, some people trade, some people breed. Others like contests or musicals, or they use their imagination for other side-tasks.

Not true. Many legendaries are not needed to complete the national dex. It is 100% possible to complete the dex by owning only the games and catching/breeding Pokemon yourself, as long as you allow for some trades for evolutions.

As discussed, you don't "beat" Pokemon by getting everything. The moment you completely fill your dex, absolutely nothing happens.

What part of "trading" is hard to understand?

Celebi was NEVER distributed for GSC outside of Japan.

So what do you expect game companies to do? Offer support for games that are several years old, on consoles that aren't even manufactured anymore?

The whole entitlement nonsense in this thread is astounding.

Over 20 Pokemon. You guys are acting like the game is actively repressing you. There are over 600+ Pokemon to enjoy yet you all focus on the relative few you don't have.

Several Wi-Fi events have happened as well. Whose fault is that for missing it?

Ehhh, maybe their consoles got stolen/ damaged? XD

Dark Side4

I really don't think they should be in-game, that would make them less valuable. But I also hate the idea that you just get them for free if you do some wifi event, because my wifi doesn't work, and so I'm unable to get any events. I'm not complaining or anything, but I'm just saying I think you should still work for the event pokemon, instead of just receiving them. Make it more challenging, but don't just release them into the game.