• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Event Pokemon...

ChedWick

Pokémon main objective is "catch em all". However you can only "catch em all" if you play them at a certain time, living in the right place and even then that may not be enough.

This main objective has not been achievable with out extra effort through trading since generation one. Your point is moot.

Oh and you can't beat wow and there are dozens of encounters and patches of content no longer offered or drastically changed resulting in a different game experience.

Last edited:

andregon

This main objective has not been achievable with out extra effort through trading since generation one. Your point is moot.

You may trade as much as you like, you'll never get event pokémon unless you saw them.

Oh and you can't beat wow and there are dozens of encounters and patches of content no longer offered or drastically changed resulting in a different game experience.

You can have all armour pieces and weapons (pvp and pve) if you put alot of effort. Can you get all pokemon in the same way? Is my hardwork rewarded?
You can beat all instances and raids, not to mention they're there permanently, even those that weren't there with the game release. Does that happen with pokémon games?

In Wow there are things we may never get the chance to have or see (like the world change with Cataclysm), but unlike Pokémon games, they kept the same world/stuff untouched for YEARS (not weeks) before the change and most of that stuff is totally irrelevant (have you seen a quest that required an event item, you'll never have the chance to get, in order to complete it?*)
But you can still have the same legendaries as if you were playing when they were released, you can still have the Warglaives of Azzinoth or Sulfuron Hammer. Most of WoW timed events usually give pets or fancy outfits.

All event stuff should be (in WoW IT IS) just extras with NO interference with the main game whatsoever.
Having something like this:

149 - Dragonite
150 - Mewtwo
151 - ----------
152 - Chicorita

Is not having a complete pokédex, which IS the game first main quest, beating the Elite 4 is the second main quest.

Do you want event pokémon? I'm not against it.
Should they belong to the pokédex? NO!
Should you be allowed to use them in wi-fi battles? NEVER!

*I'm talking about main story related quests, not event based quests.

Last edited:

randomspot555

Is not having a complete pokédex, which IS the game first main quest, beating the Elite 4 is the second main quest.

Not really. Since Gen 4, a regional dex is considered "complete" when you've just at least "seen" the Pokemon. You don't have to capture them. This shows that there's been a steady refocusing of the game's goals, or rather demphasizing the completion of the dex.

What happens when you complete the national dex? The moment you complete it. Absolutely nothing. If you talk to an NPC, they might recognize your goal, and Hayley in Ranch will as well......and that's about it. It doesn't get you anything special, the credits don't roll, nothing.

Pokemon, as a RPG, is a game where you do whatever you want with your Pokemon. There is no real central goal. Sure, to see more of the region, you typically at least have to battle up to the 8 gyms and the E4, but after that, you're largely left to your own devices. The game doesn't pressure or incentivixe you into doing one thing over the other. It's not going to punish you if you choose to take on the Battle Frontier over completing the dex.

Should you be allowed to use them in wi-fi battles? NEVER!

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

andregon

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

Why not?
Does giving advantages to some competitors over the others makes sense?
If it does, why are steroids and other drugs forbiden in competition sports?
Why aren't some athletes getting more beneficts than others, requiring for that to have been in a certain place at a certain time of their lives?

Let me guess, you stand for: everyone are equal but some are more equal than others.
No need to answer to that.

Last edited:

ChedWick

You may trade as much as you like, you'll never get event pokémon unless you saw them.

Now if I'm not mistaken, you are not able to trade event Pokemon over the GTS due to the classic ribbon but you are perfectly capable of trading amongst friends. So unless I am mistaken, your point is still moot.

You can have all armour pieces and weapons (pvp and pve) if you put alot of effort.

No you can't.

Why not?
If it does, why are steroids and other drugs forbiden in competition sports?
Why aren't some athletes getting more beneficts than others, requiring for that to have been in a certain place at a certain time of their lives?

Let me guess, you stand for: everyone are equal but some are more equal than others.
No need to answer to that.

Comparing sterioids to pokemon events.... lulz.

If you are really competative you will do all within your right to be the best. If that means going 100 miles to a gamestop to get a special pokemon then so be it.

Steroids are banned because they are unnatural just as HACKED Pokemon are banned.

Last edited:

andregon

Aww well guess I can't reason unreasonable people

Goodbye

ChedWick

No you can't provide a suitable argument so you're running away with your tail between your legs, but not before trying tarnish our arguments.

Haunter ゴースト

Well randomspot, I didn't really get the answer I wanted, you more or less told me why the event pokemon happen and what they are.

I wanted to know why your personally against it.

Also, Im not complaining since I myself don't have any trouble Im just stating that it overall would be better for everybody, I can see from a perpspective of people who do have trouble and it's just hassle if anything.

andregon

No you can't provide a suitable argument so you're running away with your tail between your legs, but not before trying tarnish our arguments.

How can I provide suitable arguments if you ignore half of what I say?

Allowing Events to enter in a tournament is like giving running shoes to an athlete (just because he subscribed between 1 to 31 December) while others will have to run with horseshoes.

If is there at least 1 person in the world, capable of participating in a tournament, with lower chances of winning than anyone else, being the reason for that disavantage something completly out of his/her responsibility, the tournament HAS NO VALUE. No exceptions.

Last edited:

randomspot555

Well, one because your scenario shows a lack of knowledge of what competitive battling actually involves. Just because a Pokemon is an "event legendary" doesn't mean jack in terms of how useful it is in battles.

Celebi and Jirachi, arguably the two rarest Pokemon in terms of how many events actually were hosted to give them away, are typically in the "Overused" tier. They're good, but not so good as to be overpowered and banned to the Uber tier.

Phione is an event exclusive mon and is very underpowered.

And yes, if someone puts in the effort to get a Pokemon and train it, assuming that it follows all the rules the individual trainers' decide to enforce in the battle, they should be able to use it. Someone shouldn't be penalized because of what they have.

Should people who own Gen 3 games be told they can't use Gen 3 move tutor moves on their Pokemon, so that it's "fair" for players who only own Gen 5?

NO!

Those Gen 5 players can go back and get the older games if they wish. If they don't, tough. They'll have to make do with what they have.

(Also most competitive battling takes place over simulators anyway)

People shouldn't be penalized for being successful at trading, collecting, and battling.

Well randomspot, I didn't really get the answer I wanted, you more or less told me why the event pokemon happen and what they are.

I wanted to know why your personally against it.

I'm not "against" anything. I'm just pointing out that people (not you specifically, people in general) are STILL complaining despite EVERYTHING Nintendo and the powers-that-be have done.

WAH! They don't hold events outside of the US/Europe

And voila, they do that.

WAH! They don't hold them at Gamestop!

They do that too

WAH! It's never on Wi-Fi!

They've hosted several events on Wi-Fi and Dream World/GL

Short of quite literally handing them to you (and thus eliminating the point of event Pokemon), I don't see what else they could possibly do.

Allowing Events to enter in a tournament is like giving running shoes to an athlete (just because he subscribed between 1 to 31 December) while others will have to run with horseshoes.

This is assuming that the athlete would never ever be able to get running shoes ever.

Just like ANYONE with money can purchase running shoes, YOU can go and trade for those events you missed.

"But blah blah blah blah blah"

That's an excuse.

What is preventing you from trading? If you say you don't have Wi-Fi, then I don't think you'll ever be in a situation where you'll be competing in a serious battle or at an official tournament anyway.

ChedWick

How can I provide suitable arguments if you ignore half of what I say?

Why should I comment on anything else when the base point is moot?

Ok... I'll revise your strange analogy and couple it with a question. Is it fair that one athlete performs better than another just because he can train more?

If is there at least 1 person in the world, capable of participating in a tournament, with lower chances of winning than anyone else, being the reason for that disavantage something completly out of his/her responsibility, the tournament HAS NO VALUE. No exceptions.

Honestly, I'm not even sure I completely followed what you just said. But I thought you were really fuming about unfinished games not extra events.

TheEmeraldKnight

Lookin' for Shinies
I understand why all the people who don't have wi-fi would want them in game(because I didn't have wi-fi for the longest time) but as its been said before there isn't much they can do about it. They give them out over wi-fi and in stores so unless they personally deliver them to your house there isn't much they can do. Besides part of the reason they give these pokemon out at events is to make them more rare. Plus its always fun when you get one of them and your friend doesn't then you can bragg to them that you have it and they don't.

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
@Jon: I'm sorry to disagree with you but I can't use wi-fi no matter what I do...so making the movie Victini over wi-fi is not fair to me cause I couldn't get the first one, lol...

Last edited:

Ememew

Emerald Mew
I understand why all the people who don't have wi-fi would want them in game(because I didn't have wi-fi for the longest time) but as its been said before there isn't much they can do about it. They give them out over wi-fi and in stores so unless they personally deliver them to your house there isn't much they can do. Besides part of the reason they give these pokemon out at events is to make them more rare. Plus its always fun when you get one of them and your friend doesn't then you can brag to them that you have it and they don't.

Well, for the sake of argument, not because I think they should actually do this, they could repeat events. Obviously, this is not something they'd do for older generations (once the next major game came out, they'd pull the plug on older events the same way they do with no longer making new events for the older games).

In this scenario, they'd run the event again maybe a year after the original and likely also shorten the amount of time for each run of the event to about a week or two tops to maintain the "rare" aspect of the event while still allowing an additional chance to obtain it. It wouldn't be that different from how it is currently, with repeat events for the species of Pokemon (ex: the upcoming Victini event after the Liberty Pass event was done, various events to obtain Deoxys in the past, etc). Like other events, you'd only get one per save file, so you wouldn't be able to get it multiple times in the same game card without restarting (which some people already do during an event's first run to get multiples anyway). Some would even probably repeat over more years than others (i.e. Pokemon with movie promotion related movesets or shininess and the like would probably be less common than handing out standard versions of otherwise unobtainable creatures or "ticket" items that require you to actually battle and use items to catch it - even if all you do is chuck your MasterBall - rather than simply receiving it). The only major difference is that there would be a somewhat reliable scheduel to it.

Obviously, they won't adopt such a practice (and certainly not because people on a fan forum want to have more access to purposely rare Pokemon), but for the sake of argument, would this hypothetical solution be a reasonable compromise?

Last edited:

yanmegy423

Litwick-KAWAIIDESU!
Only certain pokemon should be catchable in the wild. I think Keldeo is a good example. I've never really seen why it's so special....

Event pokemon should stay as event pokemon. That's it. :/ I think everyone can agree that the 100 bs pokemon like Celebi should remain that way. I appreciate how rare they are, and I think that the events keep a level of authenticity.

CeleTran

Trapped
On the first page, why were people discussing "value" of a species? Species alone have no value, only certain incredibly rare events (Good Wish Chansey, PCNY GSC, shiny Celebi [although shinies are useless, this is so rare, a legitimate copy might not even exist due to how shinies were generated during the 10th Anniversary event] etc.) are "worth" anything at all.

Last edited:

randomspot555

On the first page, why were people discussing "value" of a species? Species alone have no value, only certain incredibly rare events (Good Wish Chansey, PCNY GSC, shiny Celebi [although shinies are useless, this is so rare, a legitimate copy might not even exist due to how shinies were generated during the 10th Anniversary event] etc.) are "worth" anything at all.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.Not everyone is part of the elite supercool "trading community".

(and honestly, 99% of the 3rd gen stuff floating around most of the trading forums are hacks).

CeleTran

Trapped
Value is in the eye of the beholder.Not everyone is part of the elite supercool "trading community".

(and honestly, 99% of the 3rd gen stuff floating around most of the trading forums are hacks).

I don't trade; I use Pokécheck for about half of my current perfectly-battle-ready Pokémon. Events mean little to me, but a legitimate good Wish Chansey/shiny Celebi are near impossible to obtain nowadays.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
@Jon: I'm sorry to disagree with you but I can't use wi-fi no matter what I do...so making the movie Victini over wi-fi is not fair to me cause I couldn't get the first one, lol...

GF/Nintendo can always make the argument that Wi-Fi access is a prerequisite to using the game. Just like you need a DS to play the game, they can argue that you need wifi acces to use "key parts of the game for the full experience." I'm not saying it's fair, but it's rational. Wifi events are the most fair, however, because they cover the widest possible market and eliminate the geography problem that was a major issue in the past. Anything more and they practically have to go to your house and personally deliver one.

Honestly, I think many people should have a sense of perspective and realize how much better the system is. You wanted a Mew 10 years ago? You had to go to a special event in person in a major city in Japan or the US. Celebi wasn't available in the US until 2006. That's 6 years after the release of Gold and Silver in the US and almost before they released 4th gen. Nowadays it makes little difference what city or even country it is because you can get wifi access and trade with the internet. You don't even need to leave your home theoretically to get it.

Only certain pokemon should be catchable in the wild. I think Keldeo is a good example. I've never really seen why it's so special....
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Keldeo will be an event-only mon. It's so special because of a) it will be an event-legendary b) because it will be an event-legendary, it is not found in the wild. Because it will be revealed and distributed at a later event, it technically doesn't exist yet. Look up the pokedex on the Pokemon.com web site: you will see it ends at Kyurem.

Last edited:

BCVM22

so making the movie Victini over wi-fi is not fair to me cause I couldn't get the first one, lol...

Again, this word. "Fair". Their priority is not to be fair to you, neither you specifically nor you being any one person. Their priority is to make the event available to a majority of people, and the reality is that the majority of people to have access to Wi-Fi (and/or a Toys 'R Us/GameStop if it's a store event).

If you specifically are unable to access the event, that's unfortunate, but it's not much more than that. The point is that as many people as possible are able to access it.