• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ever ditch your starter?

Drummerdude

I tend to start ditching the starter a lot after the first few playthroughs. It's nice to diversify your Pokemon selection every once in a while.

On my first playthrough of the 5th gen games I kept my starter until I raised a team of competitive pokemon... on my black version however I started with a tepig and ditched it for a Darmanitan. The starters in gen 5 just seen a tad bland to me.

I have a team of eggs ready for my next play through... and that team has a snivy egg in it... but I'll probably use a Lilligant instead. For those curious I also have an Axew, a Timburr, and a Joltik egg ready.

GuardChomp

(︶_︶)╭∩╮
I haven't, though I'm going to soon. I'm switching out Dewott for a Frillish on my White version. Not that there's anything wrong with Dewott, but Frillish will give me a secondary type, and, come on, the male version looks like the Pringles guy, and I'll still retain the water type.
I thought it look more like the monopoly guy. I ditched Sammurott. It just sucked, The Swellow that replaced it was Sooo much Better.

MegSuicune251

Pokemon's #1 Fan
In both Heartgold and Soulsilver, I ditched my starter the second after beating the game. I also stopped using my Swampert in Emerald but only for the purpose of keeping him at level 50 for the Battle Frontier.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................no, don't remember ever doing that. i bet if i did, I'd feel horrible forever after.

Crouton

Sauteed Bread Cubes
On my first playthrough of a game I use it throughout the whole story, but on following playthroughs I ditch it for something else. :|

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
Not really, but in generation four I did so once, and may do it many times in the future. Basically, I hate the gen four starters. There is much better Pokemon to get, especially in Platinum, with Leafeon, Roserade, Houndoom, Azumarill, Quagsire, Milotic, and beyond.
In Platinum I did it because it was a nuzlocke, and I thought, hey, Platinum is hard to nuzlocke, right? So I should do it without a starter! And traded myself a Shinx for a starter instead.

In my Sapphire nuzlocke, I had no choice but to ditch my starter, Link the Grovyle. He died against a exploding Voltorb (Wattson's), so I really had no choice but to do so! Fortunatly, I have a Breloom now, but still. Link. ;_;

TheAceGlaceon

Statu variabilis
Normally, I always use my starter, but in my fourth Platinum, I ditched my Infernape for a Dusknoir (with fire punch)

7 tyranitars

Rarely unless I am doing a special Challenge.

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
I've never ditched my starter, I'm way too used to having my starter on my team since R/B/Y. It'll be strange if I don't see my starter in my party at all times.

Skydra

I have always used my starter when playing through the game, no exceptions yet.