1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ever enter a fandom because of a couple?

Discussion in 'Alternative Shipping' started by Toran Frostbite, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArcanineOod

ArcanineOod Peace, perfect peace

For me it's kinda yes and kinda no:
    I was never a Trekkie. Ever. However, after I watched the Star Trek 2009 film, I became a little more interested. Yet still, I was not hooked on Star Trek.
    However... I came across an LJ community that was rewatching Star Trek TOS and discussing the relationship between Kirk and Spock and...
    I'm bloomin' addicted to Star Trek: TOS now. ^__^;

xX

2. taitofan

taitofan Stalker!

One day on Y!Gallery I was on the front page and I saw a picture of these two guys...and I was all, "omg they look so awesome who are theyyyyy?" Two seconds later I'm looking at more pics of these two together and see their names are Albel and Fayt from a PS2 game called Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. After very little prompting I order the game... And now SO3 is my favorite game of all time and I ship the heck out of all the characters, NPCs included. I got into all the other SO games too, with SO2 being another personal fave.

And, this just recently happened again. I was looking at Hetalia MADs on Youtube, which led me to a Bleach MAD for The Delicious Tomato Song. And the characters looked cool, but even with little to know knowledge of Bleach I knew they were the bad guys and thus probably all died. ...But I was intrigued and looked at some fanart just to get a feel for the characters and see if they tickled my fancy enough to go further. AND THEN I SAW GRIMMULQUI FANART. Oooooh man. I was reading fanfiction before I knew a quarter of the cast. So yeah, that one pair cemented Bleach as my newest fandom. <3

...I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them at the moment. XD

3. junpearl63

junpearl63 their rooms

Yesss......Well, it's DBSK....

I was reading some Super Junior fic, when I came to a crossover fic in which DBSK and Super Junior got a plane crash. And yeah, I sorta fell in love with Yunho x Jaejoong couple, and whala I fell into DBSK fandom, although it's counted as K-pop fandom anyway.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  4. Vulpixi_Misa

Vulpixi_Misa Starving Artist

I don't think I've gone into a fandom for a pairing but I know that I stay in a fandom because of a pairing. ^^; I usually don't even touch the fanfiction unless I have a certain pairing in mind.

5. HeartSmack

HeartSmack Stupid Fanfic Writer

Yeah. I entered Soul Eater, Bleach, and , yes, even Pokemon anime fandom solely for the healthy shipping communities. Particularly KidxMaka, SoulxMaka, IchiRuki, and Ikarishipping.

6. ponyboycurtis

ponyboycurtis Well-Known Member

what got me into pokemon again after not watching it for a couple years was pokemon movie 9 because of the ash/may hints in it.

7. Kariachi

Kariachi Power Is Beautiful

Darkshipping got me into Yu-Gi-Oh!, as did Ryou. Kuro/Fai got me into Tsubasa Chronicles. Which reminds me that I need to get back to those manga.

8. Xweek

Xweek Diligent Shipper

Actually, no. Personally, I don't see the point of having a pairing in a fandom unless you have some idea of the background and connections they have to their world. Then again, being asexual, I guess I'm just not in it for the sexiness.

I have entered a fandom for a character, though. I got into the Mario based on one character alone...Yoshi. Yes, back in the day, I found Yoshi such a cute and irresistible bundle that I couldn't help try to find out more about him and the world he lived in.

Let's just say he's been...*ahem* superceded since then.

9. CoordinatingMaster

CoordinatingMaster Contestshipper <3

Actually yes! I've gotten into Shugo Chara because I found an AMV on it and it had Amu x Ikuto. I saw Ikuto as in his Character Transformation and I got interested in it. I've watched all the episodes since. I loved how Ikuto used to tease Amu or when they had little argument. They remind me of one of my favorite pairings. :)

10. Tabby Catty

Tabby Catty Courtney loves Ruby

The more I think about it, yes, I actually did get into the whole Pokespecial manga because of Ruby and Courtney... For a while I felt like the only one who liked that shipping, everyone was like "Franticshipping! Franticshipping!" while me? I was like... eh... I like Magmajewel...

It seems to happen that I am, like, the one who likes the less popular pairings then they suddenly start to become more popular overtime...

11. Mariya Shidou

Mariya Shidou Banned

I did... once. That was with LOVELESS. Inevitably, I liked it a little more after I got past shipping, but I think the person who showed it to me liked it because there were nearly no heterosexuals in it.

12. Toran Frostbite

Toran Frostbite Highrise Above All

Ah, memories.

It turns out I might have gotten myself into another one unwittingly. Durarara!!, while fascinating in its own right, has snazzy haters Shizuo and Izaya (and isn't that the perfect reason to toss them into bed with each other). I wound up tossing the towel in and leafing through a doujin of them. Now I only wish the novels were available in English, because they whole cast of characters are something else. And it's just this great mash-up of paranormal vs utterly normal.

13. raykee247

raykee247 Collecter

I also got into DRRR! because of Shizaya after seeing a doujin on baka manga updates and then stumbling across a meme on lj.
    I also got into Ouran Host Club after seeing a TamakixHaruhi AMV on youtube.

14. Mobius_1

Mobius_1 Has left the forum.

I went into Pokemon fandom because I saw Bulbapedia's article about Pokeshipping, and I thought it was cute, so I slowly went into the Pokemon fandom till now.

15. spy

spy has no friends

I have a couple times, these days I go into a fandom JUST because of the shippings, fanfics, etc.
    The only fandom I'm in at the moment is team fortress 2 which I'll admit, has a pretty terrible fanbase but all fandoms are pretty terrible. I just feel silly for liking such a fandom.

16. Midnight Sun

Midnight Sun Wut :|

Yugioh Abridged and it's nearly canon Thiefshipping (Yami Bakura x Marik) led to me watching the original Yugioh again. I don't regret it one bit. Yugioh is a cool show, and there is plenty of things like fanarts and fanfics to keep me entertained. :3

Contestshipping (Drew x May) is also what got me to watch Pokemon. Although I still love that shipping, I eventually got into the games and I watch BW now even if May and Drew aren't there. I guess to a lesser extent, Comashipping (Paul x Ash) is what got me to watch the DP League episodes. :p

17. Victorian Rush

Victorian Rush King of Knights

Yes, I have. A lot of people were talking about Amuto from Shugo Chara and I was already a shipper of the pairing. I know it seems weird but I was a Amuto shipper before I started watching the anime. So I figured I might as well watch the anime since I really liked the pairing.

With Pokemon it's actually kind of different. I was a Pokemon freak but I stopped watching the anime but I started watching the anime because of Pearlshipping. When Dawn was first introduced, I immediately thought she and Ash would go great together. So I started watching the anime again for that reason. And as the anime progressed, I started to love Pearlshipping more then I did before.

So my answer for this is yes, I have entered a fandom because of a pairing.

18. Flame Mistress

Flame Mistress Well-Known Member

I hadn't played Pokemon for ages, but was semi-interested in it still. I was lounging around Bulbapedia, and I typed in Ash and hit Search. Something I had never seen before popped up - the grand Pokéshipping. I scanned the page, and thought it was a great shipping - but who the hell was Misty? After I learnt more about her, I suddenly felt like Pokemon again, and searched for more Pokemon-related websites, coming across Serebii. It had a really good walkthrough, which helped me through finishing my HeartGold and discovering BW. Suddenly I was a Pokéfan once again.

Without Pokéshipping I would've never returned to the games, and I would've stayed a noob forever XD Tgat is one of the main reasons I love Pokéshipping.

19. Mizz Nikki

Mizz Nikki Operations Director

I've always watched Pokemon but I didn't watch the Legend of Thunder until a couple of months ago because a lot of people were talking about Questshipping and it being canon so I watched it for that reason. Does that count?

I did with Shugo Chara. A lot of friends of mine on YouTube love Amuto so I watched Shugo Chara because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

So yes, I did enter a fandom because of a pairing.

20. Ryn

Ryn Growlithe Lover

Lol this like, describes how I get into fandoms in general. I mean, I play and watch games and tv and movies... but I don't get into *fandoms* unless there's a couple I ship like there's no tomorrow.

There's the typical I-Get-Into-Fandom-And-Start-Watching/Reading/Playing-It-Because-of a Couple: Gundam Wing because of Treize x Lady Une would be one of those. Left 4 Dead 2 with Nick x Ellis. Phoenix x Edgeworth with Ace Attorney. Kurogane x Fai from Tsubasa. The list goes on.

Or I'm-Looking-For-Ships-So-I-Can-Be-in-The-Fandom: X-Men, Maison Ikkoku, Inuyasha... Pretty much any movie I watch. Anime. Manga. Again, this list goes on and I'll spare you.

And then there's I've-Been-Watching-This-For-A-While-But-Now-I'm-A-Fanatic-Let-Me-In-The-Fandom-Now: Glee. Glee would be this. I started watching season one and got into it, I was about to stop watching it after the first few episodes. Then Blaine x Kurt happened. And I turned into a rabid fangirl. The end.

I'm a shipper. I manage to ship something in everything I read, watch, or play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.