• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Everstone breeding on Japanese Diamond is TERRIBLE

BluekiKatana

Warrior Spirit
Has anyone gotten a confirmation on the D/P breeding system working differently? Perhaps depending on ID numbers, because I can't even reliably breed on my Diamond right now. There are very few Pokemon the everstone trick has ever worked for on my Diamond, the last few tries it ended up being a waste of time and genuinely a great way to piss me off.

Here are all my tests so far. It truly is beyond bad luck by now (meaning it's something else).

1.) Timid Ditto (everstone attached) (From Jap Emerald), with Drifloon (f)
30 Offspring, 2 Timid

2.) Gengar(m) (From Jap Emerald), with Timid Drifloon (f) everstone attached
60 Offspring, 5 Timid

3.) Jolly Ditto (everstone attached) (From Jap Emerald), with Gible (f)
60 Offspring, 2 Jolly

4.) Salemence (m) (From Jap Emerald), with Jolly Gible (F) everstone attached
15 Offspring, 1 Jolly

I've been hearing some rumors that it may work if I attach the everstone to the male instead (on Diamond). It may have something to do with the IDs at this point as well. I noticed that when I bred both my ADV Gyarados with my ADV Ditto on my Diamond those passed down the natures fine, but it has never worked again for any of my Sinnoh Pokemon. No idea really to what’s going on. I'm not making any progress passing down the natures. My Emerald works great though.

Also,
Would someone mind telling me if it truly is possible to influence an IV value by EV training in that particular stat? For example; say if an IV is 25 and you max it out to 252 in EVs, how much approximately would it raise that IV when passing it down to its offspring? Would it even raise it at all?

Last edited:

Cartman

NO, EV training to increase IV's is false
anyways, i'm worried about what you're saying about this; i really hope you have a glitched game =D and i hope the american version will have this fixed
have other japanese versions have this same issue?

Necrobat

Competitive hopeful
I haven't had any problems with Everstone breeding.
Then again, I think I've only done it with Feebas. XD

BluekiKatana

Warrior Spirit
Thanks for the confirmation on the IV's not increasing through EV training Cartman. I think at this point, it might either be a serious glitch that is unknown or something that has to do with the ID numbers/generation differences. Like I said it worked with my 3rd gen Gyarados/ 3rd gen Ditto, but when I put 3rd gen and 4th gen together it never passed down properly.

For the record, my 3rd gen Pokemon came from an "English game" then transferred to a "Japanese Emerald, to my Japanese Diamond". Not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

Necrobat

Competitive hopeful
For the record, my 3rd gen Pokemon came from an "English game" then transferred to a "Japanese Emerald, to my Japanese Diamond". Not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

Nope, considering my Modest Feebas for breeding originated from my Sapphire, which is in English. (I bred to get the name in Japanese. XD)

Alex-Catchem

Parents must have the same nature and both must hold an everstone in order to increase the chances of the offsprings to inherit its parents nature.

Ditto (bold) + Feebas (bold) = 50% of getting baby Feebas with Bold Nature.

Last edited:

aipomkong

prophecy fulfilled
Male Rhydon + Adamant Ditto giving 8 Adamant Rhyhorns in a row should be proof enough that the Everstone 'trick' still works in D/P.

You're just very unlucky imo.

say if an IV is 25 and you max it out to 252 in EVs, how much approximately would it raise that IV when passing it down to its offspring? Would it even raise it at all?

It wouldn't raise it, but, there would be a chance that the 25 IV could be passed down to the egg Pokemon by the parent.

mrhiyuck

curious
If the female or ditto as female are holding the everstone, 50% the females nature is passed down. Simple as that.

It's true though, I have been pretty unlucky before too. I hatched like 30 misdrevious before getting a modest one with the everstone trick.

But it usually doesn't take me too long.

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
to really understand what is going on you'd have to have a knowledge of probability.
The chance is 50% but the only way to really show it as 50% is to hatch an infinite number of eggs. As you approach the infinite numbered egg hatched, the natures would be 50% the same, 50% different. Most of those you have hatched are part of the 50% over infinity that aren't the same nature.

However, if you do a statistical test, with an observed 2 being the same nature when the expected value is 15 (using a binomial test with n=30), the probability of getting something as extreme as that is on the order of 10^-7, which we can easily approximate as 0. So there is strong proof from each one of this guy's trials that the everstone mechanism is incorrect.

In short...DarkSpectrum, you are wrong.

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
However, if you do a statistical test, with an observed 2 being the same nature when the expected value is 15 (using a binomial test with n=30), the probability of getting something as extreme as that is on the order of 10^-7, which we can easily approximate as 0. So there is strong proof from each one of this guy's trials that the everstone mechanism is incorrect.

You seem to remember more about statistics than I remember.
Anyways, it was also stated that pokemon of an ID no. from the 3rd gen games produced adequate results of everstone breeding so we can't just say that the mechanism is completely incorrect. We can only judge that there is either some flaw with his game, a new mechanism has been devised that relies on id numbers, or that the 10^-7th results as you derived are on a very unlucky line of the entire picture.

Alex-Catchem

This is entirely Untrue

so, how can you say it´s not true? have you ever try this?

I have been breading pokémon since september, and by doing this:

Parents must have the same nature and both must hold an everstone in order to increase the chances of the offsprings to inherit its parents nature.

Ditto (bold) + Feebas (bold) = 50% of getting baby Feebas with Bold Nature.

i got practically 5 same-as-parents-natured pokémon out of 5 eggs i received from the old man at daycare.

yep, chances are 50% to 50% or higher

Necrobat

Competitive hopeful
I thought probablity could be solved alot easier in this case without getting into all the complicated algorithms.
Like that for every Pokemon of the desired nature you'd get one that isn't, which falls under theoretical probability.
In the end it's like tossing a coin. ;)

Freakshow

Jibaku
The chances of nature being passed down from a 3rd gen parent seems much lower from my experience. But if the pogey is obtained @ 4th gen the Everstone trick works fine

Xan

Sexier than Yoda
so, how can you say it´s not true? have you ever try this?

I have been breading pokémon since september, and by doing this:

i got practically 5 same-as-parents-natured pokémon out of 5 eggs i received from the old man at daycare.

yep, chances are 50% to 50% or higher

You only need to attch the everstone to the female. It does not change anything if you attch it to the male.

the_w0lf

-/-Dutty Love-/-
About the bold ditto+bold feebas. I dont get that, you wouldn't need to breed for another if u have one, I thought the everstone was to get the actually nature for it like:

Bold ditto(w/ everstone)+hardy feebas (m)=50% bold feebas.

Or has it changed in D/P?

aipomkong

prophecy fulfilled
Bold ditto(w/ everstone)+hardy feebas (m)=50% bold feebas.

Or has it changed in D/P?

It hasn't changed, that is how it works. I have no idea why people are trying to overcomplicate this

Freakshow

Jibaku
The chances of nature being passed down from a 3rd gen parent seems much lower from my experience. But if the pogey is obtained @ 4th gen the Everstone trick works fine.

I can almost confirm this, because I have access to Pal Park and am able to transfer pogeys over for the test. I have tested this with Gabite (4th Gen) and my Gyarados (3rd gen)

Last edited: