• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Everyone Has perfect IV Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, having come back to the Pokemon scene after leaving off at Pokemon Yellow (8 years ago or so) ALOT has changed. Pokemon breeding has become my new pastime. I love it. While I find it very rewarding & fun I have been noticing a recent trend.

I have been doing a great deal of research & and have spent the last 2 months breeding a near perfect scizor/vaporeon in preparation for competitive battling. During my research I noticed that "apparently" almost every other player claims to have perfect IV pokemon.

The probability of such a outcome is 1,073,741,824...

Now, how is it that all of these players claim to have perfect IV teams? I don't want to insinuate hacking but is this behaviour accepted in the Pokemon community? Is it just assumed that everyone has perfect IV pokemon when doing online competitive battles?

Thanks for your time

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
Not every competitive player knows/uses all the methods the breeding offers [especially not IV breeding]. I think that most of them are satisfied with a good nature, and a good EVs spread and moveset.
I think that those who labor to deal with IV breeding have the rights to get whatever IVs spread they want because they spend a lot of their time on breeding in comparison to the 1st group of competitive players. As for myself, I do mind the IVs but I'm definitely not aiming to a perfect spread when breeding.

Thanks for the reply. So generally speaking most trainers from your experience are content with just having a good nature/moves? Like the Hitmochan next to your avatar btw. Its my favorite Pokemon.

They use Pokégen and Pokénav.
You really can't get a large number of battle ready, usable pokes any other way. Technically you could RNG all of them, but some consider that cheating too and it would take forever to get a team of just six.

They use Pokégen and Pokénav.

Forgive me I am not familiar with either of those. Are they some form hack that allows you to have perfect IV pokemon? If so, are these something that is frowned upon? I really enjoy breeding, but if there are alternate methods out there that require no effort that guarantee perfect IV's for Pokemon, it really takes away from the pastime.

Rakurai

Those are both more or less hacking.

In any case, having a stat that's a few points off from being flawless is rarely going to make or break a battle (Aside from speed).

In any case, having a stat that's a few points off from being flawless is rarely going to make or break a battle (Aside from speed).

Hmm. So are those something that are widely used & accepted? For example: There are national pokemon tournaments etc, do they investigate trainers to see if they "hacked" or trained/bred their pokemon through legitimate means? I don't know, perhaps it just me but I feel the breeding/training portion are just as important as the battling itself.

Last edited:

Ditto B1tch

Forgive me I am not familiar with either of those. Are they some form hack that allows you to have perfect IV pokemon? If so, are these something that is frowned upon? I really enjoy breeding, but if there are alternate methods out there that require no effort that guarantee perfect IV's for Pokemon, it really takes away from the pastime.

Pokégen and Pokésav are programs to you alter you pokemon team by using the .sav file.

I've already tested the Pokegen and it works perfectly. You can alter IV's, EV's, specie, nature, moves, PP, nickname, level. You can move Pokemon from boxes, clone and tag a fateful encounter too.

You can even give more than 510 EV's to your Pokemon, teach Flamethrower to your Blastoise, for example, but that was going to be quite noticeable as to be hacked.

Since you respect the limits of a perfect Pokemon, it should be understable to use a program like that, IMO.

Last edited:

bloodnmetal

As far as I understand most people use pokegen to avoid the endless hours of breeding for a perfect IV set, but they don't (usually) go beyond that... and after you set your pokes IVs in like 3 min, it's very unlikely that you're going to spend weeks again breeding for the perfect set.

I've managed to get myself a perfect IV Ditto from a friend (although I have no idea if it is hacked or not, so far it looks legit) and that's pretty much all I use to get good IVs.

floodz66

The Masked Trainer
Hmm. So are those something that are widely used & accepted? For example: There are national pokemon tournaments etc, do they investigate trainers to see if they "hacked" or trained/bred their pokemon through legitimate means? I don't know, perhaps it just me but I feel the breeding/training portion are just as important as the battling itself.

I think its more or less an excepted norm now, and they cannot really tell if they are made via pokegen or pokesave if you do it right.

randomspot555

"Everyone" doesn't have perfect IVed Pokemon.

If you are battling in specific competitive communities such as Smogon, or at an official tournament, hacking is generally discouraged if not outright banned, so people use the RNG to make it so that they can legitamately produce these "perfect" Pokemon within a retail game cart.

Before someone asks "what's RNG", Google it. Essentialyl, it lets people accurately predict when the game will eventually generate the Pokmeon they're aiming for.

Outside of that, there's various levels of how much effort people put into their Pokemon that they battle with.

It is also worth noting that thousands of battles take place on online battle simulators that simply make teams and simulate battles online. So there's no breeding or training or even retail game required.

Bananarama

The light is coming
Well, I am indifferent to IV/EV/Whatever the hell that some Pokemon has. I just use the ones I enjoy. I think that it is a big drag to Ev or IV train a Pokemon that can beat the first one, then suck at the next. I don't care for perfection, I just like battling and having fun, what the franchise is truly for. I could care less about EV'd Pokemon.

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
When I first got into competative battling, I never checked for IV's, and on the rare occasion I ended up getting my Weavile with perfect IV's in Speed and near perfect with Attack, so I was happy with dumb luck.

Eventually though I realized though that my Weavile was way stronger and more useful then my reguarly trained EV Pokemon. That's when I found PokeSav and used that to get some Pokemon that I need to better my team and save me countless hours on breeding. I did it all in the legal terms. I eventually had about roughly 40 Pokemon perfectly trained, and that one Weavile.

Sadly, they all got deleted when I lost my Soul Silver version. So I'm planning on doing it again to recover my lost Pokemon.

Tl;dr: IV's while not necessary , will GREATLY help you. Also using things like PokeSav or whatever they call it now is just easier and saves you a lot of time.

Last edited:
When I first got into competative battling, I never checked for IV's, and on the rare occasion I ended up getting my Weavile with perfect IV's in Speed and near perfect with Attack, so I was happy with dumb luck.

Eventually though I realized though that my Weavile was way stronger and more useful then my reguarly trained EV Pokemon. That's when I found PokeSav and used that to get some Pokemon that I need to better my team and save me countless hours on breeding. I did it all in the legal terms. I eventually had about roughly 40 Pokemon perfectly trained, and that one Weavile.

Sadly, they all got deleted when I lost my Soul Silver version. So I'm planning on doing it again to recover my lost Pokemon.

Tl;dr: IV's while not necessary , will GREATLY help you. Also using things like PokeSav or whatever they call it now is just easier and saves you a lot of time.

That is terrible advice. There are plenty of ways to legitimately get good IVs without resorting to hacking.

Pikafleg

Twenty-Six!

I've myself been confused about this for a while...if pokegen, pokesav, and RNGing are all hacking, why is the discussion of it allowed on the forums while certain...other....thing are taboo? How are those things so different than other ways of cheating?

I've myself been confused about this for a while...if pokegen, pokesav, and RNGing are all hacking, why is the discussion of it allowed on the forums while certain...other....thing are taboo? How are those things so different than other ways of cheating?

RNG abuse is not hacking. People get pissy about it because either they can't do it, or they feel as though their precious shiny Pokemon they spent days trying to get are reduced in value.

Pikafleg

Twenty-Six!
RNG abuse is not hacking. People get pissy about it because either they can't do it, or they feel as though their precious shiny Pokemon they spent days trying to get are reduced in value.

Ok, and after looking into it I see how rng is different, but still pokesav and pokegen really do seem like hacking, yet a lot of people talk about it...are those things really more legit than using, you know ....

Ok, and after looking into it I see how rng is different, but still pokesav and pokegen really do seem like hacking, yet a lot of people talk about it...are those things really more legit than using, you know ....

PokeGen and Pokesav are both hacking, and are in no way legitimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.