• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Everyone's Story (M21)

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Yeah I didn't get this at all.
Only thing I can think of is that maybe they didn't want to use the same name as that trainer in the Entei movie? (Who was named Lynn in Japan so... that was if anything even more random, but I can't really fault TPCi for 4Kids randomness.)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Only thing I can think of is that maybe they didn't want to use the same name as that trainer in the Entei movie? (Who was named Lynn in Japan so... that was if anything even more random, but I can't really fault TPCi for 4Kids randomness.)
Lol who the hell remembers that trainer from the Entei movie?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I remember a trainer in the Entei movie... But had no idea her name was Lisa. Which goes to show how much she matters for me lol

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Yeah, literally the only reason I even know that that was her name is because TVTropes mentioned it in the Trivia section for this movie.

snorlax512

Just watched this movie, and I haven't seen a pokemon movie this good in a long time. Good story, intriguing characters, top-notch animation, beautiful lighting, its got it all. The characters in this film feel more real and alive than any of the S&M cast, and they've only been on-screen for two hours. The fact that Ash isn't the sole protagonist didn't bother me at all (and this is coming from a diehard Ash fan), because he was portrayed as how he should be nowadays: the icon, the inspirer. The music was just a bonus on top.

And I actually kinda like Ash's design in this movie, he looks adorable.

VoltTacklingPika

This was a really saccharine, feel-good type of movie that excelled at telling humble stories about people instead of trying to be a grand epic about legends and the end of the world. It's a touch on the corny side, but the core message about cooperation and finding courage to overcome weakness stands strong throughout.

What I appreciated the most was the raw humanity of the characters. Pokemon has a habit of giving its human characters problems that are very specific to its universe, but here every film-exclusive character has a problem anyone can relate to, whether you're a kid or adult. Lisa has injured her ankle and fears a repeat injury, Kagachi lies because he doesn't want to let down his niece, Hisui wants to be alone after losing someone close to her, Torito doesn't have the confidence to back up his expertise and Largo only wants to protect something she likes in a way only a child would. There's great variety here and I think anyone watching can relate to at least one of these characters.

These characters were handled with a surprising grace. The establishing of each character was seamless, giving each character enough time on screen to make a mark before moving on to the next one. The crossover of each character's story felt natural as well. I thought it was especially clever how Lisa went to Kagachi for advice on where to find Eevee because she had seen him win the catching contest, and how Kagachi's bragging scared Largo into eventually stealing the Sacred Flame. This doubles up as neat foreshadowing as Kagachi's lies hurt two people before it really comes back to bite him.

Kagachi was my favourite of the lot. Being an uncle myself, I can empathize with his desire to dote on his niece and not let her down. Believe me, not being able to deliver on promises to a young child leaves you feeling rotten. I loved his dynamic with Sudowoodo. It's one of those things that'll get lost in translation, but Sudowoodo's Japanese name, Usokki, turns out to be quite important here. It's the liar Pokemon, and Kagachi is a liar. Sudowoodo follows him around going "Uso uso uso!", or "Lies lies lies!", and it bugs the crap out of him because he's being reminded at every turn of his greatest flaw. Him accepting it as his partner was extra heartwarming because of that aspect of their dynamic. I was actually tearing up a little during that scene.

Then we get to Ash, whose role in this movie is fascinating. He's the one character who doesn't need to learn the lesson about Pokemon Power. In fact, he's the one dispensing that lesson to people. It's the best way to use his character these days, in my view. The heroics have grown tired and he has valuable experience and ideas he can pass on to other people. He's not the star of the show, and I can see why some have questioned his value in this story, but he plays a key role as a catalyst.

There were a couple of things that bothered me. One was the humanity ruining nature thing. It's a very played out trope no matter how true it actually is and loses its impact the more I see it, especially in Pokemon. Likewise, Zeorora hating humans is about as generic as you can get for a mythical/legendary Pokemon in this context, though at least in this case it represents the opposite side of the trust coin - Pokemon can inspire humans to improve, so it stands to reason that humans can inspire Pokemon, too. The two poacher dudes felt extraneous and just disappeared from the second half of the story entirely.

Aesthetically, the film is beautiful - for the most part. The character designs are excellent for how distinct they are and how they show personality. The animation is crisp and dynamic during battle scenes but also playful enough during moments of levity. I was disappointed in how much CG was used, though. There were too many shots of CG crowds for my liking, and CG was abundant in the city for a lot of decorations, vehicles and wind turbines. It's a minor complaint but I noticed it all the same.

This was the most unique Pokemon movie of them all and probably my new favourite. Hopefully, it's success - assuming it was successful - encourages them to keep experimenting with new ideas. It's so much more interesting this way.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I like your point about how all the problems were real world problems

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Now that it's on Pokémon TV I've finally seen this movie too. I've seen the Dutch version. Unfortunately I couldn't see it earlier because it had NO theatrical release at all here and NO physical distribution on DVD or BluRay. The only way for us to buy this movie in Dutch is through iTunes, which I don't have. For a gorgeous movie that's so successful internationally and actually gets fully translated and dubbed in Dutch with all the work that goes into that, getting the distribution so botched and limited is such a disappointing waste. I Choose You also suffered from this. I honestly don't know why they have so much trouble distributing it here whereas other countries do get theatrical releases and/or physical distributions, it makes no sense and only limits the amount of profit they can make from this.

Onto the movie contents itself. It was gorgeous and I think it might be my favourite Pokémon movie yet. The animation and character designs are beautiful, although some of the motion for the old lady, I think the characters were all calling her 'oma', which translates to 'grandma', seemed a bit too smooth and fluid for someone of that age. The attention to detail is amazing and all the pokémon look gorgeous. It's a bit of a shame we only got pokémon from the first two generations aside from Zeraora, but that's only a small point. The characters felt real and they all had their own strengths and flaws. Although Ash doesn't really grow or develop, his role as a catalyst for the development of the others works very well. I think he is slightly too competent in this movie though, but it's not really hindering.

The story is very good. I like how well everything connected and how most of the characters have their own arc to go through, and that even though all these characters are so different from one-another there is still a theme in between them on growing with the help of their pokémon, or in Zeraora's case, growing with the help of Ash and Margot. What this movie does so much better than most of the other movies is that all these characters have their own part to play and feel important to the plot, whereas in most of the other pokémon movies most of the human characters that aren't Ash are either reduced to being part of the peanut gallery or just there for exposition.

The Dutch dub seems solid and well acted. I'm glad that the days where the movies were voiced by a completely different Dutch cast are long gone, as a number of actors from the regular series voice roles here. Jelle Amersfoort, who normally voices Kukui, takes on the role of the mayor. I'm not entirely sure on this one, but I think Thijs van Aken, who voices Rotom Dex normally, voiced Galahad here. It's a bit hard to hear as SM modifies Rotom's voice to make it sound more computerised, but I think it's the same actor. Desi van Doeveren was also part of the cast list in the movie, but I'm not sure whom she voices here, she voices Olivia in SM. Ash, Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, and the Team Rocket Trio are all voiced by their regular actors from the series as they should be.

Last edited:

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I only just seen this movie quite recently and I can agree it's one of the better ones in a long time. It feels really refreshing to see character development done right in the Pokemon anime. Bonus points since there's a lot of characters here too and normally things suffer when there's too many characters since they can't balance them right but this movie somehow averts that and we actually see tons of progress with the characters which really surprised me.

I will admit though the Pokemon this movie was supposed to focus on felt lacking here. Zeraora is the typical "I hate humans but eventually learn to trust them" trope we've seen way too many too many times before and Lugia felt a lot like Ho-Oh in the last movie, it keeps being mentioned as an important Pokemon but it doesn't show up until the last 10 minutes of the movie, does a thing, then leaves. That felt underwhelming.

Still though, I can safely say it's actually decent for Pokemon standards and worth a look.

ShadowForce720

Now that it's on Pokémon TV I've finally seen this movie too. I've seen the Dutch version. Unfortunately I couldn't see it earlier because it had NO theatrical release at all here and NO physical distribution on DVD or BluRay. The only way for us to buy this movie in Dutch is through iTunes, which I don't have. For a gorgeous movie that's so successful internationally and actually gets fully translated and dubbed in Dutch with all the work that goes into that, getting the distribution so botched and limited is such a disappointing waste. I Choose You also suffered from this. I honestly don't know why they have so much trouble distributing it here whereas other countries do get theatrical releases and/or physical distributions, it makes no sense and only limits the amount of profit they can make from this.

Onto the movie contents itself. It was gorgeous and I think it might be my favourite Pokémon movie yet. The animation and character designs are beautiful, although some of the motion for the old lady, I think the characters were all calling her 'oma', which translates to 'grandma', seemed a bit too smooth and fluid for someone of that age. The attention to detail is amazing and all the pokémon look gorgeous. It's a bit of a shame we only got pokémon from the first two generations aside from Zeraora, but that's only a small point. The characters felt real and they all had their own strengths and flaws. Although Ash doesn't really grow or develop, his role as a catalyst for the development of the others works very well. I think he is slightly too competent in this movie though, but it's not really hindering.

The story is very good. I like how well everything connected and how most of the characters have their own arc to go through, and that even though all these characters are so different from one-another there is still a theme in between them on growing with the help of their pokémon, or in Zeraora's case, growing with the help of Ash and Margot. What this movie does so much better than most of the other movies is that all these characters have their own part to play and feel important to the plot, whereas in most of the other pokémon movies most of the human characters that aren't Ash are either reduced to being part of the peanut gallery or just there for exposition.

The Dutch dub seems solid and well acted. I'm glad that the days where the movies were voiced by a completely different Dutch cast are long gone, as a number of actors from the regular series voice roles here. Jelle Amersfoort, who normally voices Kukui, takes on the role of the mayor. I'm not entirely sure on this one, but I think Thijs van Aken, who voices Rotom Dex normally, voiced Galahad here. It's a bit hard to hear as SM modifies Rotom's voice to make it sound more computerised, but I think it's the same actor. Desi van Doeveren was also part of the cast list in the movie, but I'm not sure whom she voices here, she voices Olivia in SM. Ash, Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, and the Team Rocket Trio are all voiced by their regular actors from the series as they should be.

Actually just pointing this out but you probably just didn't notice but if you pay attention to the pokemon Torren has while it's true that most of the time you just see his Chansey however when you do see his other pokemon if you pay close attention you can see he has a Lurantis which is a gen 7 pokemon and also appearently according to the page of the move on Serebii there was a Azurill which is a gen 3 pokemon, I didn't notice it in the movie however it's probably one of those things were if you don't pay really close attention to the wild pokemon or you blink that you wind up missing it.

Also can I just say that geez these last 2 pokemon movies had some dark moments in them for instance in movie 20 you had Sorrel's Luxray die from protecting him from a snowstorm, and now in this movie you have Harriet's Snubbull die because it got burned to death by a fire, after trying to retrieve a key.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Well, makes sense doing some more intense plot moments in this universe. "I choose you" focused on appealing to people who watched the show 20 years ago and are now adults. With M21 attempting different things and technically being a sequel do ICY, it makes sense they'd try something similar so it could involve a boarder audience.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Lugia felt a lot like Ho-Oh in the last movie, it keeps being mentioned as an important Pokemon but it doesn't show up until the last 10 minutes of the movie, does a thing, then leaves. That felt underwhelming.

I really liked these roles. Making the legendary Pokémon seem more like still a figure of legend and a mysterious figure with little to no explanation, rather than super-friendly and buddy buddy with everybody, makes a lot more sense to me.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I really liked these roles. Making the legendary Pokémon seem more like still a figure of legend and a mysterious figure with little to no explanation, rather than super-friendly and buddy buddy with everybody, makes a lot more sense to me.

I kind of like a mixture of the two. I like what they're doing with the Tapus in SM (which had like no role in the games, only Tapu Koko had a very small one), but I also really like what they did with Ho-Oh in the anime series. This episode is currently up on Pokémon TV and it's actually very intriguing with what they're doing with Ho-Oh.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
I forgot all about this movie. Has it already been shown on Disney XD yet? They usually show a new Pokemon movie on tv late in the year, and this was last year. Because this year's movie Is the CGI Mewtwo movie.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I forgot all about this movie. Has it already been shown on Disney XD yet? They usually show a new Pokemon movie on tv late in the year, and this was last year. Because this year's movie Is the CGI Mewtwo movie.
Yes, it has been shown. I hear it's even available for streaming on the Pokémon official site now.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The mere fact that I prefer the dub music and wish this movie had gotten a dub soundtrack makes me the mortal nemesis of tons of people (such as Twilight-Kun, keepitsimple, uncutpokemon, Chris (Dogasu), etc.) because they think I need to like what they like without question.

Mortal nemesis? Don't be silly, you're the Yamcha to my lord Beerus.

What a beautiful movie. They change the usual director for once and suddenly we get an actual good film with good review scores.
TPC.... maybe keep using this guy from now on? The last one had a good run, keep things fresh.

Sonnas

Okay I want to ask why was the score for this movie unchanged, what’s the reason for that?