• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Everyone's Story (M21)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was looking forward to watching Lugia on-screen again believing that it would receive more attention here than in the Hoopa movie, yet by the look of things it didn't exactly do much here either. Surprisingly enough, even Zeraora seemed kind of neglected in the movie's first half in spite of his starring role.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I was looking forward to watching Lugia on-screen again believing that it would receive more attention here than in the Hoopa movie, yet by the look of things it didn't exactly do much here either. Surprisingly enough, even Zeraora seemed kind of neglected in the movie's first half in spite of his starring role.
The same thing happened in M20 with Marshadow & Ho-Oh

Slightly disappointing, but at least they gave Lugia a festival whereas Ho-Oh only had what pretty much came off as a tall tale

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Hope we get a remix of Pokemon World as the opening theme lol.
Unlikely, being that the Japanese version doesn't even have an opening theme, nor does it really leave room for one. There's spoken dialogue within like ten seconds of the title card on both ends.

...Also I just saw the movie. It was so much better than I Choose You, which I already thought was a significant step up from the XY films. While Lugia and Zeraora don't appear as much as... well, most other featured Pokémon in the movies, they are also far more effectively utilized. Or, well, Zeraora is at least.
basically just shows up at the very end to bring about the wind and make it rain to stop the fire.
Still, its appearance is given enough buildup that while it doesn't get much screentime, I didn't have any real problem with its handling. Would it have been nice to have a full four minute musical sequence like we got in M2? Well sure, but then doing that again would probably have come off as way too obvious a rehash. And one of this movie's greatest strengths is that it doesn't really follow the standard Pokémon formula.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Watched this today. Mind you I missed the first 15 mins (and probably only understood about 20% of the dialogue), but this film was a very charming and refreshing watch, and to be honest probably the most I enjoyed a Pokemon movie in years. Imo the entire main cast were pretty likable and memorable, Zeraora looked cool and of course, the art/animation was gorgeous.

For now, I think the only gripe I have is that Lugia seemed to have a pretty insignificant role (appeared less than Ho-oh in the last film) but I'm definitely looking forward to watching this again :)

(Also I really liked the ED)

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Yeah Lugia was basically a plot-device. Which is kinda disappointing when the promotional material, literally from the first teaser, had emphasized its being in the movie, but... eh. Everything else about the movie was so good that I can forgive Lugia being an Advertised Extra. (Or okay, that's a bit excessive-- It did play an important role, albeit an extremely brief one.)

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Yeah Lugia was basically a plot-device. Which is kinda disappointing when the promotional material, literally from the first teaser, had emphasized its being in the movie, but... eh. Everything else about the movie was so good that I can forgive Lugia being an Advertised Extra. (Or okay, that's a bit excessive-- It did play an important role, albeit an extremely brief one.)
Same thing happened with Ho-Oh for M20 since the writers seem far more interested in showing off whatever Mythical that plays a role in the film

At least Mewtwo should play a more major role next year though :p

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Harriett's Snubbull dies in a fire.

There, now the debt of everyone who pressured TPCi into keeping the JP music to this movie for its dub (confirmed by ANN) also lost something important to it. Have fun, everyone!
I honestly don't mind; the music replacing was getting ridiculous.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Be that as it may, it was giving me 80% more enjoyment to the movies it happened in (90% in M20's case). And I think you know how much of a terrible relation I have with the JP music. That scene I just mentioned is going to suffer worst of all. It's going to be worse than how the JP version handled SM021.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Granted, most of the music here is all original anyway so nothing of value is really lost replacing it :p
Ironically this movie is a rare instance where a genuine artistic argument could be made for replacing the music... Well... Part of it at least. Two tracks, specifically. Track 1 "Our Story", and track 50, "Lugia Summons the Wind". (Translations may differ depending on where you read them but this is how I would translate them.) In a way, it could be argued that putting in the English Lugia theme would have actually preserved the experience the Japanese had better than straight-up keeping the original would, seeing how the overwhelming majority of international fans have never heard the Japanese Lugia theme whereas the English one is iconic.

...But that's neither here nor there, I've long since made up my mind that if, indeed, the original score is kept intact, (and I can tolerate them changing the ED song; I'd prefer it if they didn't, but as long as everything else is kept I can live with it) and don't add music to scenes that didn't have any originally, TPCi can take my money. Even though I'm unlikely to ever watch this movie dubbed, I will buy the US DVD just to give TPCi the thumbs up for, quite frankly, not overstepping the bounds of what a dub should do. (Which is to say, translate a product from one language into another while preserving the experience its native audience would have had as closely as possible.) At this point everything points to TPCi indeed getting my money for this, but I'm just waiting for the dub to actually be shown so that I can get a definitive statement from someone who's actually seen it.

EDIT: ...Although I guess in one way the dub Lugia theme will still kinda-sorta be in there. Zeraora's theme sort of invokes it (probably on accident), as the last four notes are literally the first four notes of the dub Lugia theme in a lower key.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

This is the problem with all the language dubs, i would say english dub is less impactfull not because of voice acting which i think is fine but the music they add which makes the scene less impactfull, i would say english dub would become much better if they keep orignal music with english voices.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
This is the problem with all the language dubs,
Not quite; Some Asian countries have their own dub straight from the Japanese version, with the songs replaced but everything else being kept. Everywhere else, though? Yeah we're stuck with TPCi's vision of what the show should be as opposed to the actual creators' vision. Which is a big part of why I'm so constantly annoyed at TPCi's changes; They don't just affect kids in the US. They dictate what kids all over the world see, leaving the original entirely unavailable except through illegal means.

...Though this rant is misplaced, as the simple act of them leaving the music alone mostly removes this issue. Mostly. I mean I'm sure Team Rocket's dialogue will still be about 400% more puns than it originally was, but them exaggerating the comic relief's... comedy-ness... is comparatively less impactful.

Ryu Taylor

This is the problem with all the language dubs, i would say english dub is less impactfull not because of voice acting which i think is fine but the music they add which makes the scene less impactful, i would say english dub would become much better if they keep orignal music with english voices.
With all due respect, speak for yourself. The dub music has its fans; I've never been the only one.
So this would be the first product in 5 years that TPCi doesn't destroy. About time.
They’re actually keeping the subs music in the Dub of the movie? Well, color me surprised, I never thought that would ever happen again. Now I am ten times more excited to see this movie.
Have your fun. Just don't expect me to join in.

Ryu Taylor

I couldn’t care less about you. I’m going to enjoy the movie more now and I’m not going to lose any sleep over you not seeing it.
While I do regret getting a ticket (which I did months ago only because none of us knew TPCi caved in to fanbrat demands), there's nothing I can do about the first viewing. A friend of mine is going to supply me with an edit that has no music except for obligatory dub songs sometime after the theatrical run, because while I'll always prefer dub music be an option, no music at all would be a good alternative to JP version noise.
My earlier comment was specifically about the JP noise, not the whole movie. I'm baffled as to how anyone can enjoy it, but as long as people don't try to force me to join them in liking it, everything will be fine.