• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Everyone's Story (M21)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Theoretically, what if this turned out to be like the XY and SM pilot airings where it was merely a teaser screening that they simply hadn't put the replacement OST in yet?
It's already aired on tv with the original soundtrack

DatsRight

I'm mixed whether this is a case of TPCI caving into complaints or simply a case of them rushing it through while skipping the soundtrack process.

Remember a few DP dub episodes actually had the soundtrack left completely as is due to being worked on by another studio. That change did not stick.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Stop demanding that the entire planet accommodate your ridiculous Shinji Miyazaki hate crusade.
And why do purists get to get away with demanding the entire planet accommodate their Mr. Ed Goldfarb hate crusade (and need I remind you that unlike how I don't hate Miyazaki, many a purist does indeed hate Mr. Goldfarb (and maybe even also his family)), huh? It looks to me like Miyazaki is privileged just because he's the JP version's composer.

Theoretically, what if this turned out to be like the XY and SM pilot airings where it was merely a teaser screening that they simply hadn't put the replacement OST in yet?
In a perfect world, that would be the case.

I'm mixed whether this is a case of TPCI caving into complaints or simply a case of them rushing it through while skipping the soundtrack process.
Judging by the fandom's smug attitude about the soundtrack retention and their boycotting of last year's movie over its dub soundtrack, it was 100% the former.

Remember a few DP dub episodes actually had the soundtrack left completely as is due to being worked on by another studio. That change did not stick.
As Miyazaki still had some talent back then, I can sit through those ones just fine. If he were still at that point today, I'd have even been fine with M21 keeping its music.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Judging by the fandom's smug attitude about the soundtrack retention and their boycotting of last year's movie over its dub soundtrack, it was 100% the former.
How could a boycott have succeeded if it didn't hit them in the wallet?

Ryu Taylor

How could a boycott have succeeded if it didn't hit them in the wallet?
It didn't succeed. Purists just like to pretend they won. They're not going to let a little thing like monetary numbers get in their way.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It didn't succeed. Purists just like to pretend they won. They're not going to let a little thing like monetary numbers get in their way.
I know it didn't succeed so how could TPCi have caved into complaints (you said it was the former)

Ryu Taylor

I know it didn't succeed so how could TPCi have caved into complaints (you said it was the former)
It's hard to say. Maybe they felt M21 wouldn't make as much if they rescored it, and they know most people going in to see it would be fans of the show.
Regardless of the reason, keeping the JP music was a terrible idea.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'm happy they kept the JP music since I hated Goldfarb's work. Seriously, that guy can't write a memorable theme to save his life. Loeffler and Wolfert's replacement was the worst choice the TPCi have ever made when it came to music, and even their track record is marred by "Diamond and Pearl." Even then, they bounced back from that dud.

NPT

Just a member

That studio handled Pokemon Origins and Pokemon Generations, but not the main anime. The DP episodes, as well as the first five episodes of Season 14(the season with the highest amount of Japanese BGM) were done by DuArt Studios, the same studio that's been dubbing the Pokemon anime since Season 11.

Ryu Taylor

I'm happy they kept the JP music since I hated Goldfarb's work. Seriously, that guy can't write a memorable theme to save his life. Loeffler and Wolfert's replacement was the worst choice the TPCi have ever made when it came to music, and even their track record is marred by "Diamond and Pearl." Even then, they bounced back from that dud.
Note how everyone celebrates you for saying things like this (even though I also liked the dub music Messrs. Loeffler and Wolfert (and Ralph Shuckett in the 4kids days) made), yet when I turn this kind of criticism on the JP music, suddenly I'm the ultimate evil that must be destroyed. This very thread is evidence of that egregious double-standard one would have to be impossibly blind not to notice.

Epicocity

Note how everyone celebrates you for saying things like this (even though I also liked the dub music Messrs. Loeffler and Wolfert (and Ralph Shuckett in the 4kids days) made), yet when I turn this kind of criticism on the JP music, suddenly I'm the ultimate evil that must be destroyed. This very thread is evidence of that egregious double-standard one would have to be impossibly blind not to notice.
Ryu, it's because of how you talk to everyone else.

Not every fan of the JP music is a purist that's out to get you and the dub music; I doubt 99% of people care. But the way you go on and on and insist that anyone who remotely likes the dub music is treated as if they're trash and you're "poor little me"...yeah, it gets some people tired.

It doesn't help that, in spite of things, changing the music does, whether you like it or not, change the original vision of the director and creators. It's like taking a book and stripping off, say, beautifully flowing words, and replacing it with the most rudimentary words you could find from a kindergartner, especially after the author lovingly crafted every word. Or, perhaps, taking that book and deciding "no, this scene isn't an action scene to me, let's direct it in the movie as an emotional moment" when it isn't.

It changes intent. You prefer the dub intent; fine, whatever. But it isn't the creator's intent, and you don't need to push your opinion and feelings of persecution on to the rest of us, like we're the problem. Cause we're not.

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director

We get it, you don’t like the music from the original. No one cares about it, I, sure as heck, don’t. I’m not the biggest fan of the dub’s music. I don’t hate but I’m don’t like it either. Are you going to treat me as if I’m evil for thinking that way I do because that is literally how you treat others for thinking that way.

Personally, I don’t care if you don’t like the music from the sub. No one is out to get you for preferring the dub music so stop treating all the sub fans as if they’re a problem because they are not.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
It doesn't help that, in spite of things, changing the music does, whether you like it or not, change the original vision of the director and creators. It's like taking a book and stripping off, say, beautifully flowing words, and replacing it with the most rudimentary words you could find from a kindergartner, especially after the author lovingly crafted every word. Or, perhaps, taking that book and deciding "no, this scene isn't an action scene to me, let's direct it in the movie as an emotional moment" when it isn't.
Well, that second example isn't really the same thing; Adapting a book to a movie is vastly different from adapting a TV-show or a movie from one language to another. Certain creative decisions absolutely need to be made in the adaptation of book to film since they're entirely different medium and what works in one might not necessarily work in the other. Meanwhile, about the only thing a dub needs to (and the only thing it should) worry about in terms of creative decisions is "How do we make this pun that makes no sense when translated literally, still work in the new language?" and a whole bunch of "How do we rewrite these literally translated lines to sound like natural English without adding or removing any of the information in them?" I could go into more detail about this... but I'm mostly taking all of this stuff from a very eloquently put Twitter post so I'll just link to said post. https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/1046517565403607043

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Well, that second example isn't really the same thing; Adapting a book to a movie is vastly different from adapting a TV-show or a movie from one language to another. Certain creative decisions absolutely need to be made in the adaptation of book to film since they're entirely different medium and what works in one might not necessarily work in the other. Meanwhile, about the only thing a dub needs to (and the only thing it should) worry about in terms of creative decisions is "How do we make this pun that makes no sense when translated literally, still work in the new language?" and a whole bunch of "How do we rewrite these literally translated lines to sound like natural English without adding or removing any of the information in them?" I could go into more detail about this... but I'm mostly taking all of this stuff from a very eloquently put Twitter post so I'll just link to said post. https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/1046517565403607043
some other liberties should be taken though, not to the extent of the funi dub of DBZ, but something to give the dub identity (4kids did pretty great on that front)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Now, that I saw the movie, I would say that it was pretty good. I like that all the main characters got their focus in a more balanced way than just focusing on Ash & Pikachu, although the latter two got involved almost all the fights that were shown in the movie.

The main cast is varied too, from a little girl to an old lady. Margo reminded me of Bonnie, that she's too young to have a Pokemon but can befriend them, including a legendary such Zeraora. Risa reminded me of Serena, mainly because of English VA, but also because they both capture Eevees, had acrophobias. Toren is an anti-social scientist, like Clemont, but had alot of experience interacting with Pokemons, even had the most amount of Pokemons from the main cast. Callahan likes to glorify himself, despite not being confident, which caught himself into fire from other like Risa who accuses him of lying. Harriet dislikes Pokemon because of tragic past, which kinda remind me of Lillie before the Lusamine arc, except the latter just afraid of touching them.

Somehow the effect spore gas along with the mountain fire incident made the main cast, outside of Ash, overcome their weakness/flaw and showcase their strengths. Margo just managed to convince Zeraora that not all humans are evil and that even themselves aren't perfect. Risa just suddenly runs with an insane stamina while carrying the stolen eternal flame stick, thanks for her Eevee insistence to carry her job despite being injured. Toren, is a good thinker when it's about finding a cure against the effect spore gas. Callahan, make good use of his accurate throwing skills in order to save Fula city and his sister and niece, Harriet just restarts a rusty power plant, to overcome her tragic past by losing her Snubbull along saving the city.

I haven't seen much of Pokemon movies but I thought this movie felt kinda Hollywood-esque to me. I count a good amount of times that Margo was unable to get out of threatening situations until she was saved by Zeraora and Ash. The part where Risa took her shoes away in order to run barefooted was crazy, I mean I wonder what would happen if she steps into sharp objects like the broken effect spore glass, would she roll herself in pain and failed her mission? Ash just likes to make himself like a shield to protect others as seen when he got hit by Zeraora, electric attacks. And I'm seeing people and Pokemons outrunning the effect spore gas despite they're being very close to it and spreading quickly.

Anyways, it was a good movie. I wished that the main cast of the anime were treated the same way this movie cast were. And also, I loved Risa's Eevee and looked strong too, but it just had a battle with Pikachu during the entire movie, I wanted to see it beating those Pokemon poachers despite its injuries. Oh, and I watched this dub, sure it's a little bit odd for me with the lack of exposure with the dub from the anime and got used to it but I don't see big fuss from some people about it.

Last edited:

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Random observation of randomness from now having rewatched the movie in full:
You know, at pretty much exactly the halfway point in the movie there's this part where pretty much everyone is miserable after something or another has gone wrong for all of them... In a lot of other movies or shows I tend to hate these kinds of scenes, but there's something about how this movie handles it that's just... strangely touching. I think it's just the fact that it's such a quiet, understated section which also happens to have some really nice shots with good color use that really helps set the mood. The music is really relaxing, too. I guess in some ways it's weird that a scene where everyone is miserable manages to be so relaxing, but... I dunno, it's the sort of scene I'm really not used to seeing in a Pokémon movie. Or, heck, any animated film that isn't a Studio Ghibli movie, for that matter.

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:

As cynical as it might sound, I don't think I trust them enough in regards to them supposedly listening to fan complaints. So I believe that they kept the Japanese soundtrack out of sheer laziness.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
vpFVgC5.jpg

Well.This sure is quite a decent collection of movie-related memorabilia I've got going for this movie that I didn't expect to be more than just "average"... If you'd have told me a year ago that I would end up buying the Japanese BD (the most expensive version of it even), the soundtrack, the limited edition theme song single and also go out of my way to buy a... I don't actually know what that thing with the poster art on it is called, but what I actually wanted was a full-size poster... Well let's just say I doubt I would have taken you seriously.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I have the I Choose You Limited Edition and it's quite good. My copy of Everyone's Story is on its way to my country. Shame customs clearance is so terribly slow here on Brazil...

====================

About the movie, some random notes:

- Wait, Lisa was localized as Risa? C'mon, that was the easiest to adaptate and they screwed up? Bah, will call her Lisa and use english names for everyone else
- I like they localised "Riku" as "Rick". One of these days I was wondering that "Rick" would be a great localized name for the name "Riku" (back then I was thinking about a movie adaptation of Ultraman Geed haha).

Now, for the movie:

Amazing movie! It has Yajima written all over it and even some "re-creations" of things/archtypes he's used on XY (I'd compare Lisa, Toren, Margo and Zeraora to Serena, Clemont, Bonnie and Alain in some ways). We see a display of Yajima's true strength: he portrays Ash as a symbol, an icon. He's figure out the secret to write him. Much like Superman, how do you write a character that's been around for so long? Simple: make him a living symbol who is the one who inspire characters around him and whose actions impact the other characters who will develop his personality and move forward the narrative. That was his winning formula on XY. And it worked wonder here.

Gotta say, I love this movie. I Choose You was great but since they had to hit so many checkpoints (by virtue of being an anniversary movie) with so little time, it could feel rushed at time. While here, without this restraints, we got a more complete, fluid product. Also, worth noting is the movie-exclusive characters. Normally, I don't like them. But here they are so lively, so distinct, you really get invested into them.

Also, I love that the cast setup, subtle gives a message that Pokémon is for everyone regardless of age. The "Everyone" in the original title and "Us" in the american version pretty much refer to people of all demographies. In a way, it uses metalanguage to say that everyone has a connection with Pokémon they could benefit and/or enjoy.

Animation was gourgeous. That's the best I've seen in the series and movie 22 will have big shoes to fill, specially with it being full CG.

All in all I great movie. I look forward recieving my blu-ray to watch it again!

And next year, hopefully, I'll get to do my planned trip to Japan and check movie 22 in the theaters

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan