• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Everyone's Story (M21)

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Apparently Ed Goldfarb was on vacation when the movie was getting dubbed from what I heard.
Of all possible reasons for them to do what I wanted them to do...

...this might be the most hilariously disappointing reason possible, if true. It kinda checks out, though; Goldfarb is clearly still working on the series, and the music replacements are as omnipresent as ever in the current dub season, which must surely have been started after M21, making this movie's dub an anomaly.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
And why do purists get to get away with demanding the entire planet accommodate their Mr. Ed Goldfarb hate crusade (and need I remind you that unlike how I don't hate Miyazaki, many a purist does indeed hate Mr. Goldfarb (and maybe even also his family)), huh? It looks to me like Miyazaki is privileged just because he's the JP version's composer.
Still waiting for an answer to this.

But yes, Mr. Goldfarb was indeed on vacation when the dub was being made. Though I'll always be livid about the soundtrack's lack of anything good (other than the dub's ending song, the only contribution Mr. Goldfarb got to make for it and the one good morsel of the entire OST), I'm glad he had a nice trip.
When I met him back in April, he did say that as much as he enjoyed the soundtrack (he's not a gushing fanboy about it; it was just an "it was nice" kind of comment), he wishes he could've had the chance to compose for it considering how character was the crux of this movie and therefore offered a lot of opportunities to make great use of leitmotif.

Huh. So they didn’t want to bother with him then that he was on vacation? Also where did you hear this?

On social media (mainly Facebook), he is pretty open about his vacations and such. That could be where this was found out.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ryu Taylor said:
When I met him back in April, he did say that as much as he enjoyed the soundtrack (he's not a gushing fanboy about it; it was just an "it was nice" kind of comment), he wishes he could've had the chance to compose for it considering how character was the crux of this movie and therefore offered a lot of opportunities to make great use of leitmotif.

I don't buy his excuse about him supposedly thinking he could make music that suited the characters better. It seems more likely that he would've wanted to compose his own soundtrack for this movie just so that he'd earn an extra paycheck and royalties.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I don't buy his excuse about him supposedly thinking he could make music that suited the characters better. It seems more likely that he would've wanted to compose his own soundtrack for this movie just so that he'd earn an extra paycheck and royalties.
As I've met him in person and have known him online for years before then, I can verify that he does indeed care about the show, even despite TPCi not giving him much time per episode. Really, if anyone's just composing for money and nothing more, it's Shinji Miyazaki (and in his case, I use the word "composing" VERY generously). He doesn't even compose most of the music, anyway; Junichi Masuda and the other game composers already did that, and Miyazaki just remixes ruins them. Honestly, what even is the ratio between game remixes and original music?
Also, this interview he did with J-Pop Exchange (basically the only interview I think he ever did in the past 10 years; oh, and the link is legal) is just plain humiliating, especially the part where he admitted to only studying just barely enough to pass the entrance exam to a music school he went to long ago, and then forgot everything once it was over. In fact, his exact words were: "I just studied for a year before the entrance exam to give myself enough superficial knowledge of the material to pass. As soon as the exam was over I forgot all of the songs I had memorized and was no longer able to play them. So, [the piano is] still not an instrument that I play all that well, even though it’s my job, which is a bit odd." To repeat:
HE IS NO GOOD AT THE PIANO, THE EXACT INSTRUMENT MR. GOLDFARB IS A PRO AT!!!!!

Seriously, the man's a mystery. And I do wonder if there is an instrument he's good at playing. He loves brass instruments so much that they show up all the time in his music, so maybe one of those?

Oh, and yes, Mr. Goldfarb 100% could've made music that suited M21's characters better.

Last edited:

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
The movie was...comedic. Maybe even too much so. Whereas early in the series, the toxic cloud would have been intended to cause mass murder, now, it is just an accident. It's a pity that the Heartbeat of the Planet (Japanese "Lugia's Song") only got played briefly.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Commander L. Halsti said:
It's a pity that the Heartbeat of the Planet (Japanese "Lugia's Song") only got played briefly.

That part really is a shame considering that the first trailer of this movie played that theme. It's also a shame that the soundtrack release for this movie didn't include that song despite its popularity.

dentula

I finally got around to seeing this film. When it was first announced, I brushed it off as another Ash AU adventure that wouldn't appeal much to my sensibilities (my feelings on the M20, "I choose you" in a nutshell).

That said, my expectations were both subverted and surpassed. I've heard the phrase "good for a pokemon movie" get tossed around, which I feel is unfair, because M21 is just a terrific, standalone anime movie. Really, this movie can be enjoyed and appreciated by non-pokemon fans as the plot and narration isn't dependent on the series canon.

I adore all the characters, and it was impressive how all story threads intertwined at the end for meaningful payoff. So many little things established earlier in the film (i.e. when the uncle tosses the pokeball in the trash perfectly; his throwing skills will come into play later on) become significant in the final act; nothing goes to waste.

Ash as a supporting role was good. Honestly I'm jaded with seeing him hog the heroic spotlight every damn movie x__x After many years of character arcs throughout his journey on becoming a pokemon master, I would expect him to assume a mentor role in the cast. The cast equally contribute their own element to the story in order to overcome adversity in the end, Ash included, hence "Everyone's story".

The legendaries aren't as integral. I definitely didn't mind that the talked-up Lugia showed up at the end briefly to help out... it's fitting because it preserves the mysticism of legendary and mythical pokemon. I don't think Lugia's intervention at the end was even needed, it seems the people and pokemon were capable of handling the situation themselves.

Zeraora's role was interesting, not sure how I feel about it. A savage, severely PTSD mon who's probably like 100's of years old and just straight up DONE with people still manages to befriend a little girl and begins to mend it's relationship with people. Eh, I guess I like it! The writers made it vibe with the rest of the story but I'm not sure if Zeraora was all that necessary.

The only time I rolled my eyes was at the absolutely superfluous hunters that tried to fffff assault a little girl (Largo) for no reason, and the CG that was all-too obvious.

Overall... I think the storytelling, animation, and down-to-earth-ness of the film were phenomenal, and this is my favorite pokemon movie, and one of my favorite animated films.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Really, this movie can be enjoyed and appreciated by non-pokemon fans as the plot and narration isn't dependent on the series canon.

Agreed! I even took my friend to the movie theatre when it came out Nov 2018 for the special screenings in select theatres, even though he hadn't seen Pokémon since the 90s (or maybe early 2000s, either way, it had been a really long time for him, but he's a general anime fan of other anime), after I had heard the positive reviews from the Japanese screenings, that are quite similar to what you just said actually, it's just a generally good movie, not just for a Pokémon movie, etc. And he loved it!

And by the way, you saying this message just now has made me miss this movie and want to watch it again! Thanks for reminding me of it! It's been a while!

I’ve heard from people that this is one of the best Pokémon movies, plus it’s directed by the GOAT himself Tetsuo Yajima.

And this absolutely delivered.

The movie started out slow but once it got to the climax of the film with everyone helping out in their own way to save the city, it got amazing. The side characters are great but my favorite has to be Callahan and his Sudowoodo. They literally saved everyone. He had a great personality and was a funny character. Harriet being scared of Pokémon because of the death of her Snubbull was depressing and when that Snubbull came back to give her determination to put out the fire… I shed a few tears. I loved how Eevee and Risa (same voice as Serena!) were both connected through having foot injuries and I love how all the Pokémon gave the main characters determination to save the town. This film encapsulates what Pokémon is all about: people and Pokémon working together.

I absolutely love the Japanese ending song Breath. It’s such an amazing song with an uplifting melody with inspiring lyrics. Definitely my favorite Japanese movie ending of all time.

Ash looks a bit weird in this art style but this art style looks really good, just not as good as XY or ICY’s art style.

Overall, this movie is one of my favorites. It might just be my favorite Pokémon movie.

10/10

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
This film encapsulates what Pokémon is all about: people and Pokémon working together.

Overall, this movie is one of my favorites. It might just be my favorite Pokémon movie.

10/10
You've never been more based!!!
This film is a perfect encapsulation of that, the core and soul of what Pokemon is: The bonds between people and Pokemon
Yajima KNOCKED it out of the park with this movie