• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolution by Fire! (738)

That's what I don't get...the way I see it is if the writers intended them to be Japanese why doesn't the dub use them? Is there something wrong with that?

They change the names to Americanise the pokemon anime for the US viewers. The dub is not meant to come across as a japan product, which is why they don't use the japanese names from the original.

LizardonX

Banned
I'm shocked shamus doeskin have a fanbase, after all he is the paul of unova, oh wait he lost to ash so his identical methods of raising pokemon obviously isn't enough to make him liked.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
They change the names to Americanise the pokemon anime for the US viewers. The dub is not meant to come across as a japan product, which is why they don't use the japanese names from the original.

They have used Japanese names before though...for the people who trained in dojos and stuff. My point is, since the anime can more or less be called "Americanized" now, why are they changing names for people intended to be Japanese? I just don't get that. :/

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Wow, that's what they dubbed Suwama to..........

Didn't know he was Irish........

glad to see i'm not the only one who caught that reference lol. I honestly was expecting to him to have an irish accent too.

Only one thing annoyed me, did they really have Shamus say "finally" with a deadpan tone when Tepig evolved? I don't believe there was any speaking during that part in the original...

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I have an odd feeling that Shamus's name was Jimmy Zoppi's attempt at humor using the incident where Mitt Romney put his dog - named Shamus - on top of his car...

Regardless, he isn't finished. I don't think they're going to make a COTD this memorable (and fairly important) and have him scream "I WON'T FORGET THIS!!!!" if he wasn't going to come back. If nothing else, we'll see him at the League, maybe with a team of Emboar/Heatmor/Arcanine/Flareon/Camerupt/Ninetales.

Vipsoccermaster

Pretty good episode. Shamus, darn him. He knew that wasn't the right thing to do, abandoning Tepig like that. Nice to see Tepig/Pignite got revenges on Shamus, though. And Snivy was just awesome here. Missed her for quite a while since she hasn't gotten some adequate screen time.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
That Seamus is despicable. How can his conscience stand up after abandoning Tepig, putting on fake tears to get rid of him and then has the cheek to ask for him back when he was beaten by him. Speaking of the battle, I thought it was great. The passion from Snivy at the beginning because of how strongly she felt about Tepig's abandonment was awesome to see and it ended with Snivy taking a Super Flare Blitz (if I can take Cilan's words) which spurred Tepig on to a Firey Evolution into Pignite.

Other things to note in this episode would be Cilan's Trial where it was revealed he was a Judge Connoisseur. I thought Iris' outbursts were hilarious. Also, the part where Tepig was reflecting on the events when he was abandoned pulled at the heartstrings a bit especially when Tepig was literally screaming at his trainer as he walked away.

Anyway, excellent episode. On to the next one!

Groundedshock

Effective on ground
A great emotional and original episode..... if it was not done so many times with almost every fire type Ash has.

The Shamus guy was a true master of PokeAbuse and cruelty but I liked how he planned a scenario like this by pretending it was hard for him to release his own Pokemon so they can not seek revenge on him.

In fact, if he kept his mouth shut, he would have won that one sided battle.

I guess Ash acted like that since he was SO used to this back story so Iris as annoying as she is was a great candidate for this role. Judge Cilan was alright i guess and the Pokemon there reacting to Shamus's cruelty with hate and disgust (except Oshawott) was okay.

Seeing Tepig cry broke my heart but its okay now since he burns the dude's face. (HE SHOULD HAVE KILLED HIM BY MAKING BURN FOREVER!)

Overall, it was okay.

Toonyoungster

The Capture Champion
I really like this episode. There were a lot of things that seemed kinda different with this one, making the episode not so generic. Am I the only one who chuckled a bit when Iris said "It's as clear as the hair on my head!"?

Shamus was amazing. Treating Tepig like garbage, calling Cilan a yo-yo, having the nerve to try and take Tepig back. He's an even bigger jerk than Damien. Awesome character.

The courtroom scene was a great touch. I loved seeing Ash being clueless on the spot, and Iris's crazy outbursts. I swear, the whole thing was going on in Cilan's head.

One scene I particularly liked was the flashback of Tepig crying for Shamus. I can't remember who does Tepig's voice, but whoever did deserves props. First time in a long time I've felt almost heartbroken for a Pokemon episode. :)

Personal rating: 7/10

They have used Japanese names before though...for the people who trained in dojos and stuff. My point is, since the anime can more or less be called "Americanized" now, why are they changing names for people intended to be Japanese? I just don't get that. :/

Maybe for the little kids who don't know that the anime is "Americanized"? You can't expect the dub to use names like "Suwama" because American kids would have issues pronouncing it, and even remembering it. The characters also look more American than Japanese anyway, so it makes more sense to change their names and give off that American version.

jammiedodger

My issue with this episode is it tries too hard to make us hate Seamus and it ends up feeling really forced. With Paul the hate felt more natural, because he was shown to be a skilled trainer with highly questionable training methods. The former is presented and resolved almost too blatantly while the latter never truly felt like it had the proper conclusion it ought to.

Tepig evolving and Snivy's determination were probably the highlights of the episode. The court scene was okay as well.

The battle was a bit of a farce though, what with Snivy having power as the plot demanded and Tepig being able to beat two fire-types at the same time, both of which didn't seem that worn down.

Very nice idea, just handled rather badly.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Shamus? Well the dubbers have once again killed a cool name.

Meh episode, then again, I saw this episode back in May.

TheEliteEmpoleon

I actually laughed a few times during this episode. The court scene was pretty funny, especially Oshawott sleeping when he was in the jury, and Iris yelling at Cilan the whole time. Also: "It's as clear as the hair on my head!"

The episode in general was okay. Two evolutions in the past two episodes is a bit weird though. That Seamus guy was a bit odd, but we'll probably see him again in the league.

Battra

This episode was never needed it's lazy writing at it's purist we're just rehashing the Charmander episode in season one. We are forced to sympathize with Ash & Tepig and route against Shamus for abandoning Tepig for petty reasons. The animators even go so far as to make Shamus look evil and creepy. Snivy would've been a better Pokemon to focus on than Tepig whose entire arc was finished in it's first appearance.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
This episode was never needed it's lazy writing at it's purist we're just rehashing the Charmander episode in season one. We are forced to sympathize with Ash & Tepig and route against Shamus for abandoning Tepig for petty reasons. The animators even go so far as to make Shamus look evil and creepy. Snivy would've been a better Pokemon to focus on than Tepig whose entire arc was finished in it's first appearance.

Um no. Tepig's arc started when it was caught and ended here. We've always seen hints of his disappointment in itself after not getting a win for Ash fearing it will be released. It stems from Shamus' attitude.

jammiedodger

See when they reused the "abandoned/abused" story with Chimchar they actually did something a little different with it. We got to see Ash actually dealing with a problem Pokémon the way he never did with Charizard and that showed his growth as a trainer. With Tepig it just feels like a really bad rehash of the Charmander story.

Crimson_Blazer

Shamus, WHAT THE ****

First Maosomi to Montgomery, and now Shamus

oh dear god.
jeez someboy call the whambulance
Montgomery is actually really close to the japanese name, and fits wih his aristocratic look. Shamus is an irish nameand we all know irish are stereotyped as and fiery and Confrontational, fiery fitting in wih his fire warriors and he is very confrontational. They dot just pull names out of a hat you know...

Janovy

Banned
See when they reused the "abandoned/abused" story with Chimchar they actually did something a little different with it. We got to see Ash actually dealing with a problem Pokémon the way he never did with Charizard and that showed his growth as a trainer. With Tepig it just feels like a really bad rehash of the Charmander story.
Except this time, it was not Ash who underwent growth, but his Tepig/Pignite.

It was character development for Tepig, not Ash.