• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolution during battles?

Garbodor.

I am wondering, what do you think of the Idea that Pokemon can evolve during battles in the game, just like they do in the anime?
Currently of course, we have to wait for the battle to finish and then the Pokemon can evolve. Why do you think Pokemon have done it this way?
Only reason I can think of is that for example if your tepig is fighting a woobat then you would not want it to evolve into pignite as the addition of the fighting type will give it a total of 4x weakness during the battle.

silverhusky99

Novice Shiny Hunter
it could be very useful considering pokemon evolve into multi type pokemon considering you could be fighting an electric type with marshtomp and then evolve to swampart to save yourself

Mew The Gato

Actually, Marshtomp is also a Ground Type.

I am wondering, what do you think of the Idea that Pokemon can evolve during battles in the game, just like they do in the anime?
Currently of course, we have to wait for the battle to finish and then the Pokemon can evolve. Why do you think Pokemon have done it this way?
Only reason I can think of is that for example if your tepig is fighting a woobat then you would not want it to evolve into pignite as the addition of the fighting type will give it a total of 4x weakness during the battle.

Well, I think this could lead to some complications with the game mechanics and lead to glitches?

Also, how would they depict the evolution if it does not change to the "evolution screen"?

Could be interesting. But there are clear limits in this. So we're now able to give our eevee's a thunder/fire/water stone in battle now and make 'em evolve?

Garbodor.

I think this may also make the game more interesting if your opponents Pokemon could evolve as well during battles.
I am not sure how it will increase chances of glitches, it might do I don't know. Also, what's wrong with it switching to evolution screen and then back to battle screen? I see no problem in that. It just seems more logical to me that a Pokemon should evolve as seen as it reaches the level to evolve and not have to wait till battle is over. It makes things a little bit more interesting IMHO. Of course this matter is purely subjective.

Could be interesting. But there are clear limits in this. So we're now able to give our eevee's a thunder/fire/water stone in battle now and make 'em evolve?

This is a good point.
allowing eevee to evolve during battle may give some sort of unfair advantage but once you do it, it's done so you can't keep doing the same strategy over and over again as you will usually only have one eevee. Unless you go to the length to breed many and level them all up. I'll doubt this would change the game that much.

If it really causes a problem then simply put that you cannot evolve using items during battles.

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

I am not sure how it will increase chances of glitches, it might do I don't know. Also, what's wrong with it switching to evolution screen and then back to battle screen? I see no problem in that. It just seems more logical to me that a Pokemon should evolve as seen as it reaches the level to evolve and not have to wait till battle is over. It makes things a little bit more interesting IMHO. Of course this matter is purely subjective.

Honestly, I would LOVE this. A Pokemon like Magikarp which has almost fainted suddenly evolving to ruin the opponent's team? EPIC.

However, I still cannot help thinking this may lead to complications and glitches, I am not sure how, but knowing Pokemon, this WILL happen.

Garbodor.

Honestly, I would LOVE this. A Pokemon like Magikarp which has almost fainted suddenly evolving to ruin the opponent's team? EPIC.

However, I still cannot help thinking this may lead to complications and glitches, I am not sure how, but knowing Pokemon, this WILL happen.

When I was thinking about the Idea I was also imagining Magikarp evolving into gyrados too ha ha :D

It may cause glitches but I doubt it. I honestly doubt it will cause any problems.

Only if said pokemon is healed to full and gains +2 to every stat like the anime for the duration of the battle.

I don't mind it healing your Pokemon by up to half it's max HP but a full recovery seems too much.

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

allowing eevee to evolve during battle may give some sort of unfair advantage but once you do it, it's done so you can't keep doing the same strategy over and over again as you will usually only have one eevee. Unless you go to the length to breed many and level them all up. I'll doubt this would change the game that much.

The answer is simple: Pokemon who evolve with items do not usually evolve during battles in the Anime, so we could limit evolution by those means in battle.

And the opponent's Pokemon evolving is even more likely to lead to glitches - I am not an expert on these mechanics, but that much is predictable.

Last edited:

Ditto B1tch

The main issue about evolution during battle is the evolution screen.

How would the evolution occur? The battle would be paused to my Pokémon evolve and then back to it?

Well, rules in anime are different of the game and I think that evolution during battle can't be applied properly, so let it stay the way it is.

Garbodor.

The main issue about evolution during battle is the evolution screen.

How would the evolution occur? The battle would be paused to my Pokémon evolve and then back to it?

Well, rules in anime are different of the game and I think that evolution during battle can't be applied properly, so let it stay the way it is.

I don't see why the screen cannot switch to evolution screen and back to battling screen. I mean after battle evolution the screen switches too. I don't see any problem with this.

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

Remembering every single detail which was happening in the battle? It would likely cause something like the Old Man Glitch. Read about it if you are not familiar with it.

Oh no, I do not want more of those Glitch Pokemon! O_O

Garbodor.

Remembering every single detail which was happening in the battle? It would likely cause something like the Old Man Glitch. Read about it if you are not familiar with it.

Oh no, I do not want more of those Glitch Pokemon! O_O

Oh come on! you're making it seem like it takes half hour for the evolution to occur. It takes a 1 minute at best. Also what details will you forget?
Have you ever witness a glitch after the evolution screen comes on and then it goes back to normal game? So why do you assume there will be glitch in the battle's case?

Mew The Gato

Not me, the GAME would forget.

Like, in the old man glitch, the player's name had to be remembered SOMEWHERE. This caused MAJOR glitches.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I think the better question would be "Why did the anime writers decide to stray from the game mechanics and do mid-battle evolutions?"

The answer is, of course, for the sake of drama.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I think the better question would be "Why did the anime writers decide to stray from the game mechanics and do mid-battle evolutions?"

what works in the games doesn't necessarily work in the anime as well. as you say, it is more dramatic to see a pokemon evolve mid-battle.

Garbodor.

Not me, the GAME would forget.

Like, in the old man glitch, the player's name had to be remembered SOMEWHERE. This caused MAJOR glitches.

Well glitches just mean something gone wrong in their programming somewhere. I doubt we will see such a thing in the newer games in the newer more advanced DS's. I am not saying it's impossible but rather improbable.

Well don't you think having mid battle evolution would also somewhat help in the Drama of the game? For example if an opponents Pokemon beats one of your Pokemon and then evolves! I think that would be somewhat interesting and dramatic. Not as much as in the anime...but still. It somewhat makes the game slightly more challenging.

Mew The Gato

Well don't you think having mid battle evolution would also somewhat help in the Drama of the game? For example if an opponents Pokemon beats one of your Pokemon and then evolves! I think that would be somewhat interesting and dramatic. Not as much as in the anime...but still. It somewhat makes the game slightly more challenging.

And then have the competitive battling world ruined due to a small chance of self-revival of a Pokemon. People would be taking the risk and using pre-evolutions, thinking that they would get a free revival for their Pokemon, who would already have had done decent damage before fainting and getting revived. Priolu, in particular, comes to mind. First, use Priority Phazing to severely weaken the opponents and then, when Riolu is finally defeated, it is revived, it evolves and destroys everything.

Garbodor.

And then have the competitive battling world ruined due to a small chance of self-revival of a Pokemon. People would be taking the risk and using pre-evolutions, thinking that they would get a free revival for their Pokemon, who would already have had done decent damage before fainting and getting revived. Priolu, in particular, comes to mind. First, use Priority Phazing to severely weaken the opponents and then, when Riolu is finally defeated, it is revived, it evolves and destroys everything.

How would you evolve your Pokemon in competitive battling? Do you gain EXP's in competitive battling? How would level up your Pokemon to evolve then?