• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolution stones come from WHAT?

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
They emit magic special radiation that affects the genetic structure of some Pokémon and causes it to mutate, bringing about evolution. Eevee's Pokémdex entry said as much in R/B:
Its genetic code is irregular. It may mutate if it is exposed to radiation from element Stones.

Timetraveler:Pikachu

Servant of Time.....
If the evolution stones give off radiation then why do they go away from our bag once we use them? Shouldn't we get a Rock or Shard or something? And if they are created like a jewel what turns them into leaf stones and fire stones? The moon stone explanation is reasonable but I wonder what will happen when too many moon stones were taken from the moon. For the Sun stone I think that they are crated when a moon stone is taken from the moon during an eclipse.

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
Sometimes, while moonstones fall to the PokeWorld, the sun's radiation hits them, and hits them hard. They morph into a new stone: A Sun Stone.

If your about to post something that isn't proved or backed up with information, and come straight from your imagination, you should probably start out with, "I think..." or "Maybe..." or maybe even "In my opinion,..."

Just sayin'.

Perhaps the Sun Stone came off of a meteorite that orbited a little too close to the sun and absorb some of it's solar radiation?

cloudk

hates you.
in the manga, it is mentioned that the sunlight from a certain mountain emits the same radiation waves as a sun stone, which help gold's sunkern to evolve. So maybe the evolution stones are just stones which contain special radiation

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
In my opinion, they're some type of mineral that dig from the Underground, but then you gotta extract it and remove the excess rock impurities, and there you have it! the elemental stones! Like Diamonds!

gliscor

*BAD ROMANCE*
Some of you's have some good and wierd theries
[Lol i liked the harry potter one]
But i think they are just stone that are mined that have special radiation emiting out of them.
But like the water stone can only be found in a certain place same with the fire stone and so on.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
I just imagined that they were crystals that emitted radiation. They are called what they are because of appearance, not where they come from. They might be fragile, and shatter without their radiation. Just a theory, but...

Last edited:
At least my explanation makes sense.

Stones and minerals that emit radiation? How silly.

RockPaperScizor

Yanmegalomaniac
Each stone contains a small amount of radioactive ore, E.g. plutonium. They emit different levels of radioactivity, meaning certain stones change certain pokemon. Specific type evolution is due to specific kinds of DNA.

You do know I made that up on the spot, don't you?

Servant of Time.....
We every body seems to either think that its radiation, meteorites or created naturally. Any thing else? Mabey like what came out of Moltress when she needed to use the can?

jshizzlex6661

Sick Of Natures
If that's true then was there a Light type in prehistoric times? And why doesn't the Dome fossil and the others evolve pokemon?

No.

Because Gamefreak wanted a way to make pokemon evolve in a different way to level up and trading. Why would a fossil evolve a Pokemon? A Fossil IS a Pokemon

jshizzlex6661

Sick Of Natures
If that's true then was there a Light type in prehistoric times? And why doesn't the Dome fossil and the others evolve pokemon?

No.

Because Gamefreak wanted a way to make pokemon evolve in a different way to level up and trading. Why would a fossil evolve a Pokemon? A Fossil IS a Pokemon

Ememew

Emerald Mew
The Harry Potter reference was awesome!

I'm guessing the Stones are made the way other rocks are (heat, pressure), but with special properties because they form in the Pokemon world.

But I can see Game Freak eventually making some legendary Rock-type that produces Evolution Stones from its body (that could be its ability too, sort of like Pickup for Stones).

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
Okay, we've established that they cause evolution by radiation? Okay.

Why you don't get some shard or something back in your bag: The pokemon absorbs ALL the radiation. Thus, your character finds it useless and tosses it into the nearest tree/Garbage can/Cave entrance.

Personally, I've always thought they were some kind of gemstone that had absorbed energy of a certain kind. And, to clear up the 'Light' issue...
Ever noticed pokemon that evolve from the shiny stone are all pokemon that have evolved once, and that evolution was via happiness?

However, I do like Ememew's idea... *Goes to work on a fakemon*

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Shiny Stones are probably just overloaded with pure happiness.

Which is apparently radiation.

Huh.

Servant of Time.....
Ok if thats how Shiny stones are created what about Dusk Stones? Dark power?

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Wow all this talk of radiation and the relation it has to pokemon evolution has really put the dangers of raising a pokemon in perspective...
Me: "Okay mom I'm gonna go shoot my Eevee with Polinium gamma rays until it evolves into a jolteon." :p
Mom: "Okay honey, just be home for dinner."

But radiation does seem to be the most logical reasoning behind pokemon evolutionary stones. Those stones just happen to emit certain radiation that can only be picked up be certain pokemon, allowing them to change form. (I just hope my Jolteon doesn't get lung cancer)