• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolution VS. Creation

Which do you believe in?

• The Theory Of Evolution

Votes: 130 73.9%
  • Creationism

Votes: 46 26.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Against Evolution

I hate this question. It's like asking "Shoes or Hamburgers?"
You mean we aren't supposed to wear hamburgers on our feet? Oh man...

BTW Jigglychu, that article you linked to was actually pretty good aside from some typos.

You should consider it, natie. It is not inherently illogical for something to need no beginning if it didn't come into existence. You believe the laws of mathematics have always existed, right?

To get to the actual topic, I believe God created the world and created many, may different sorts of living things on it. Do I believe absolutely all species were created by God and have remained unchanged since the beginning? No. A post by J.T. from the previous evolution debate clears this up:

See, the debate here isn't whether evolution is true or whether evolution happened. That's proven. We've seen it happen. You can go on and on about how it's "only micro-evolution", but that's just a term that someone came up with to explain the variations we see that prove evolution without admitting that evolution actually happens - micro-evolution, speciation, macro-evolution, it's all evolution. Evolution has been proven. It happens. That's just the way it is. The question is whether or not evolution resulted in these varieties of species. And that is what we're not entirely sure of, although, we have a lot of evidence to suggest that it is. Basically, the debate in scientific circles is not whether or not evolution happens/happened, but to what degree it happened. Only the most willfully ignorant deny that evolution ever happened or could happen.
(Please note that, if this isn't obvious, J.T. believes evolution has occurred. With this quote, I'm not trying to claim he said anything different.)

There are some Christians who deny that any change has ever happened. But even the most biblically-literal fundamentalists believe a certain amount of change has happened--whether they realize it or not! See, even they recognize that Adam and Eve's descendants have become slightly different-shaded ethnic groups. That's a small change. Is that unbiblical? Not in the slightest. Is it Darwinian? Well, yes...in the slightest.

I don't dispute the fact that some small amount of change has occurred in the history of life. What I dispute is whether this small amount of change can truly be extrapolated into the past to account for every living thing in existence today.

I can give several good, scientific reasons for doubting that this is possible. Evolution is said to proceed by mutations changing the genes of organisms and natural selection preserving beneficial changes.

I've detailed some of this before using the words of expert evolutionist Richard Dawkins, so I should do it again. In a passage of his book, The Blind Watchmaker, he describes a computer simulation in which he made "biomorphs" to illustrate evolution. Of course, in his model they changed radically every generation, so he said: “In real life, the probability that a gene will mutate is often less than one in a million. The reason for building a high mutation rate into the model is that the whole performance on the computer screen is for the benefit of human eyes, and humans haven’t the patience to wait a million generations for a mutation!”
(Richard Dawkins, 1996 edition, page 57)
I realize that he is talking about genes, which mutate less often than the nucleotides of which genes are built, but the point still holds to some degree. Anyway, that's my first piece of evidence.

Second, most mutations are harmful: “Of all possible changes that might occur to an existing complex mechanism like an organ, the vast majority will make it worse. Only a tiny minority of changes will make it better.”
(From page 305)
Since some have disputed the previous two points, I further cite World Book Encyclopedia (I'm using the 1994 edition): "Mutations occur regularly but infrequently, and most of them produce unfavorable traits."
("Evolution" E:437)

As a side note, World Book also point out that, "An organism can pass a mutation on to its offspring only if the mutation affects cells that produce eggs or sperm. This type of mutation is called a germinal mutation. The other type of mutation is called a somatic mutation."
("Mutation" M:968-969)

Now, third, Dawkins has also said:
“As a matter of fact, most of natural selection is concerned with preventing evolutionary change rather than driving it. This doesn’t mean, I hasten to insist, that natural selection is a purely destructive process. It can construct too, in ways that Chapter 7 will explain.”

(From page 125)

But those three pieces of data do not completely explain the difficulty of evolving everything from one single-celled life form. For the fourth piece of evidence, I won't give any Dawkins quotes, but instead, point out that time is limited. Nearly all scientists today believe that the evidence supports a universe no older than 14 billion years. (I don't personally believe it is that old, but that's beside the point.) It certainly cannot be older than that. Furthermore, nearly all scientists agree that the earth is no more than about 4.6 billion years, with life appearing about four billion years ago. How many generations are between the first proposed life form, and today's organisms?

But fifth and finally, none of what I've said deals with the fossil record of any specific organisms: Which organisms have the shortest time between generations--hence the quickest rate of genetic change? The answer is shocking: the single-celled organisms! But according to the fossils, unicellular organisms existed for nearly 3.5 billion years before multicellular organisms evolved. What?

So, to recap,
(1) Mutations are uncommon.
(2) Most mutations are harmful.
(3) Natural selection most often hinders evolution, instead of helping it.
(4) There is only so much time (less than 14 billion for the whole universe).
(5) Examining the fossil record shows some extreme difficulties, especially concerning time.

If you doubt what I've said here, please check what I've said--you should be able to find Dawkins books at many libraries. Read encyclopedias, read evolutionists (like Dawkins), and read evolution critics. Don't be afraid to look at both sides of the issue. And like Jigglychu pointed out, this doesn't have to be an issue of "science versus God".

Evolution is a theory that people should be allowed to criticize scientifically. "Theory" doesn't mean "guess," of course, but people should certainly know that evolution is far from the absolute fact some label it. People should be taught, not just the things for which evolution might have a good explanation, but also the facts which strongly challenge evolution.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
^ When you say 'There is only so much time (less than 14 billion for the whole universe)', the following occurs to me: do you realise how much 14 billion is? It's 10, multiplied by 10, and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, plus 4 multiplied by 10 and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. If I tried to count to 14 billion, I would never manage it, I would die a LONG time before I got there.
And before anyone points out that life has 'only' been evolving on Earth for 4 billion years, that's still 4 multiplied by 10 and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. Again, if I tried to count to it I would never finish. A guy named Les Stewart once typed out all of the numbers from one to one million in words. It took him 16 YEARS, and that was only the numbers from one to ONE MILLION.

Dagh, people have no concept of how big large numbers are. Anything over a few thousand and we're lost and confused. Billions of years is a LONG time. And, to make the point I intended to make, evolution could EASILY happen over that timespan. EASILY. Humans have been around for 100,000 years and we think that's a long time. It's not. Dinosaurs were around for 160 million years and that's still not a long time. It's a pathetic little fraction of the age of life.

I know there was other stuff in your post, but this has irked me for a long time so I'm trying to express it >_<

I was on the verge of typing out every multiple of one million up to 4 billion, just to prove my point, but frankly I have better things to do and the software probably wouldn't have allowed it.

Last edited:

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
*sigh* Really, forum? You're gonna make me repost this whole thing to add just one point? Fiiiiine.

You believe the laws of mathematics have always existed, right?

That two plus two always equals four?

(Please note that, if this isn't obvious, J.T. believes evolution has occurred. With this quote, I'm not trying to claim he said anything different.)

Interestingly enough, this quote, particularly the part about micro- and macro-evolution, was at least partly directed at you, considering you had tried to make the distinction between those two aforementioned terms earlier on.

I can give several good, scientific reasons for doubting that this is possible. Evolution is said to proceed by mutations changing the genes of organisms and natural selection preserving beneficial changes.

The place where your argument falls apart is when you realize that mutations are not the only source of evolutionary change. Genetic recombination, transfer of genes between species, and (in very rare cases) the incorporation of genomes through endosymbiosis (endosymbiosis refers to creatures (called endosymbionts) that live inside of another creature - for example, the single-celled algae found inside reef-building corals).

I've detailed some of this before using the words of expert evolutionist Richard Dawkins

How fun, you can quotemine Dawkins to make it sound like he supports your point, oh boy.

In a passage of his book, The Blind Watchmaker, he describes a computer simulation in which he made "biomorphs" to illustrate evolution. Of course, in his model they changed radically every generation, so he said: “In real life, the probability that a gene will mutate is often less than one in a million. The reason for building a high mutation rate into the model is that the whole performance on the computer screen is for the benefit of human eyes, and humans haven’t the patience to wait a million generations for a mutation!”
(Richard Dawkins, 1996 edition, page 57)
I realize that he is talking about genes, which mutate less often than the nucleotides of which genes are built, but the point still holds to some degree. Anyway, that's my first piece of evidence.

An argument from personal incredulity. Which you chastised me and a few other people in the last thread for doing. Clearly you're off to a good start. Also, you yourself just admitted that the fact that it's referring to genes rather than nucleotides somewhat harms your point.

Second, most mutations are harmful: “Of all possible changes that might occur to an existing complex mechanism like an organ, the vast majority will make it worse. Only a tiny minority of changes will make it better.”
(From page 305)
Since some have disputed the previous two points, I further cite World Book Encyclopedia (I'm using the 1994 edition): "Mutations occur regularly but infrequently, and most of them produce unfavorable traits."
("Evolution" E:437)

I've been through this with you before. Multiple times. It doesn't matter how much more common negative mutations are than beneficial ones if the positive ones are much more likely to survive past a few generations. If you have twenty negative mutations and one positive one (and I'm exaggerating the chance a good bit - again, I spoke with you about this on the last thread), sure, it seems a bit unlikely, but guess what? Like 18 out of those 20 negative ones will get lost within two or three generations (again, I'm being generous here). The one positive one is going to survive much longer, because by its nature, it helps whatever creature that has such a mutation survive long enough to reproduce and spread its genes to its offspring.

Now, third, Dawkins has also said:
“As a matter of fact, most of natural selection is concerned with preventing evolutionary change rather than driving it. This doesn’t mean, I hasten to insist, that natural selection is a purely destructive process. It can construct too, in ways that Chapter 7 will explain.”

(From page 125)

Apparently you ignored what I said to this the last time you posted this exact passage, and I'd venture to guess that you never bothered to read the aforementioned Chapter 7 either. This makes sense. Anything that has survived in a certain environment for such a period of time has probably done so by being well-suited to it, and thus the need for change, one of the biggest concepts of the theory of evolution, is absent.

And as you pointed out, harmful mutations are more common than beneficial ones. You may think of natural selection as the selection of positive traits to survive, correct? Well, it applies the other way, too - the selection of negative traits to be removed from the gene pool. Thus, a large part of natural selection is getting rid of said negative mutations.

But those three pieces of data do not completely explain the difficulty of evolving everything from one single-celled life form. For the fourth piece of evidence, I won't give any Dawkins quotes, but instead, point out that time is limited. Nearly all scientists today believe that the evidence supports a universe no older than 14 billion years. (I don't personally believe it is that old, but that's beside the point.) It certainly cannot be older than that. Furthermore, nearly all scientists agree that the earth is no more than about 4.6 billion years, with life appearing about four billion years ago. How many generations are between the first proposed life form, and today's organisms?

As R. New pointed out, one billion years is a hell of a lot more time than many creationists would have you believe, let alone four billion. It also depends on the reproduction rate of the earliest parts of the evolutionary chain. And it would be... kind of difficult (understatement of the year) to estimate the exact number of generations you asked for.

But fifth and finally, none of what I've said deals with the fossil record of any specific organisms: Which organisms have the shortest time between generations--hence the quickest rate of genetic change? The answer is shocking: the single-celled organisms!

Shooooocking.

But according to the fossils, unicellular organisms existed for nearly 3.5 billion years before multicellular organisms evolved. What?

What indeed. Source?

So, to recap,
(1) Mutations are uncommon.

Pointless and irrelevant to the validity of evolution.

(2) Most mutations are harmful.

And thus do not survive. You... kinda missed that part.

(3) Natural selection most often hinders evolution, instead of helping it.

Wait, what the ****? Where did you get that out of what Dawkins was saying?

(4) There is only so much time (less than 14 billion for the whole universe).

Again, four billion years is a lot of time. Apparently, more than you seem to think.

(5) Examining the fossil record shows some extreme difficulties, especially concerning time.

Okay, so I went and looked this up on my own. Apparently the first multicellular life forms seem to have been fossilized around 600 million years ago. Ignoring the fact that the Wiki page on multicellular organisms states that the earliest ones had little if any hard body parts, meaning fossilization would have been extremely difficult and therefore that multicellular life may have developed earlier than that, it should be noted that single-celled organisms had, by that time, been developing for 3.4 billion years. This means that there probably would have been a dizzying array of unicellular organisms hanging around on the planet, especially considering how fast those things reproduce.

If you doubt what I've said here, please check what I've said--you should be able to find Dawkins books at many libraries. Read encyclopedias, read evolutionists (like Dawkins), and read evolution critics.

Reading Dawkins only really helps the creationist case if you then proceed to quotemine the living hell out of it, and evolution critics are nearly always either demonstrably ignorant on the topic or attempting to gain favour with those who already cling to creationism as fact (people like Kent Hovind and Ken Ham could probably fit into either). By the way, I did read such things that you suggested. They are the reason I'm currently arguing for evolution.

Evolution is a theory that people should be allowed to criticize scientifically.

And it is. Unfortunately, those criticisms always amount to "WELL CAN IT EXPLAIN EVERYTHING" or are otherwise shown to be incorrect or lacking.

people should certainly know that evolution is far from the absolute fact some label it.

Ridiculous amounts of evidence point towards evolution. You are suggesting we throw nearly all of it away because... why? Because our understanding of it isn't absolutely perfected at this point in time? Because you personally find it hard to believe? I don't know.

People should be taught, not just the things for which evolution might have a good explanation, but also the facts which strongly challenge evolution.

Such as?

I say that we have to have evolved.
Creation wouldn't give us such amazing and adept brain power to the other beings in the world. Since Chimps use tools, we are sure to have evolved from them, since they have brains that are almost 100% the same as ours.

SharpedoX

Treinador Áureo
Why are people so picky regarding that we are descendant from apes? Is it pure arrogance?

We have 99% of our genes in common with them :/

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
I don't like chimps and I don't want to be descended from one 3:

Being made from a dude's rib is better?

I say that we have to have evolved.
Creation wouldn't give us such amazing and adept brain power to the other beings in the world.

Weeeeell... even as an "evolutionist", as some apparently call us, I don't find it that hard to believe that once you postulate a supreme almighty being who thought the universe into existence, said being could also think our brains into their current state. Now the whole supreme almighty being thing, on the other hand...

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
Here is something that disproves creation:

How could all the animals that have ever existed in the entire earth all be held into one small planet at the same time? they can't. There are too many species of animals that people have found.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
Here is something that disproves creation:

How could all the animals that have ever existed in the entire earth all be held into one small planet at the same time? they can't. There are too many species of animals that people have found.

No creatures exclusive to the fossil record ever really existed. Depending on who you ask, either God put them there to test us or Satan put them there to tempt us away from the truth.

Seriously.

This is what some creationists believe. Not all, but some. Honestly.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
What i mean by creationism is that god created the world in 7 days. The key word isn't god, it is the whole 7 days thing and that all the animals and plants lived on earth at the same time at one time.

So you're only arguing against the Christian young earth creationist view? That's pretty lame. All versions of creation stories from all religions have... well, to put it mildly, problems. Don't just single out one of them when there are probably thousands of them out there. Hell, even Christians who otherwise accept the Christian creationist view disagree on whether the 7 days described in Genesis are to be taken literally or metaphorically.

Not to mention that, if that's the case, you're creating a false dichotomy. Either you believe in the Christian God's 7-day YEC, or you're an evolutionist, there's (apparently) no in-between. I'm on your side and all, but let's not exclude anyone here.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
So you're only arguing against the Christian young earth creationist view? That's pretty lame. All versions of creation stories from all religions have... well, to put it mildly, problems. Don't just single out one of them when there are probably thousands of them out there. Hell, even Christians who otherwise accept the Christian creationist view disagree on whether the 7 days described in Genesis are to be taken literally or metaphorically.

Not to mention that, if that's the case, you're creating a false dichotomy. Either you believe in the Christian God's 7-day YEC, or you're an evolutionist, there's (apparently) no in-between. I'm on your side and all, but let's not exclude anyone here.
Well, i agree i still want to hear what people believe and all. there is such thing as an in-between , if some one believes in an in-between go ahead an post it but I only mention it becuase evolution can't disprove that god made the earth.

true you are pretty lame e-rex :)

religion should never get in the way of facts, i know tons of people who are very christian and they are evolutionist. The only Christians i know who don't believe in evolution are the ignorant and selfish and have never actually taken the time to learn about it.

So it is just stupid to think that you can't be loyal to your faith while still learning about facts.

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
The only Christians i know who don't believe in evolution are the ignorant and selfish and have never actually taken the time to learn about it.
I want to point out that unless you are trying to say that most Christians who don't believe in evolution at all are ignorant (ignorant in general and not just of evolution) and selfish, then that statement has no right to be in this debate.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Evolution or Creationism. Interesting choices. I believe in Evolution. I just think there is quite a lot more evidence supporting the concept of Evolution as opposed to evidence supporting Creationism. I just find it easier to follow the set process of having creatures go through changes over time as all other things in the universe do, rather than to accept that things happen for no apparently good reason. That doesn't mean I'm against religion, I just think it's easier to accept something that has more going for it than to support something that sounds fishy, to all intents and purposes.

Originally posted by ShinySandshrew

want to point out that unless you are trying to say that most Christians who don't believe in evolution at all are ignorant (ignorant in general and not just of evolution) and selfish, then that statement has no right to be in this debate.

sorry I meant ignorant in evolution, and selfish (in a sort of sense) because the fact they they are offended that they might be related to apes is immature. I mean really, it is not like a human is any less disgusting than any other animal.

Thanks for pointing that out, i didn't even realized it looked that bad.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Who cares if the DNA is simular, most mammals have 2 eyes, does that mean we evouled from them?
Eyes are relatively ambiguous. We have to think of more definite characteristics.

Humans and Echinoderms have one thing in common, which is that they are deuterostomes. This is when an animal's anus devlops before their mouth instead of vice versa. This can especially be seen with humans, when they put their anus where their mouth is.

DNA, and certain traits prove that evolution has made divergent paths where animals evolve.

I am not totally dissing the idea of Creationism. It's just not science like Evolution is. It is instead, a religious belief.

originally posted by jb08045

Who cares if the DNA is similar, most mammals have 2 eyes, does that mean we evolved from them?

That is like saying a Tiger isn't related to Lions yet we all know that is true. It is the fact the humans like to look at themselves as superior of all the other animals that causes humans find it hard to believe they are related to hairy, smelly, overall gross, apes.

Originally posted by Mayfan

going further, i don't like apes either. In fact i have a phobia of chimpanzees and other great apes. But i am not ignorant at the fact that i am descended from an ape (not chimpanzees, humans didn't evolve from chimps)

Status
Not open for further replies.