• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolution VS. Creation

Which do you believe in?

• The Theory Of Evolution

Votes: 130 73.9%
  • Creationism

Votes: 46 26.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
I voted evolution. I'm puzzled that Pokemon has divine Pokemon that created the world and various continents, yet Pokemon has 'evolution' as a central element in gameplay. It's like Nintendo is trying to mind**** the children.
Or, am I posting in a troll thread?
I thought so, but his [OP's] name implies this character is longing for a fight on this topic.

On another note, I somewhat surprised evolution has about 3 times as many votes as creationism. I kind of expected your average pokemon fan to fall into the category of moderate Christian, but here I find myself pleasently surprised.

I was hoping we could move past labeling, arrogance and stereotypes, but I guess that's asking to much.

BTW, I'm amused by the ones who spout, 'lulz, it r a THEORY so it'z not rite'. They are unaware of the actual meaning of theory (in this context).

Last edited:

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
BTW, I'm amused by the ones who spout, 'lulz, it r a THEORY so it'z not rite'. They are unaware of the actual meaning of theory (in this context).[/COLOR]

Plus the fact that evolution is not a theory, it's an observable fact of biology. The mechanisms by which it happens are theories.

*pretty much leaves thread because effort maybe ending up arguing with someone who won't listen at which point I'll just get annoyed which won't help anyone*

Last edited:

NINJA PENGUIN

Define Creationism. (Young Earth/Old Earth/Both)

Following The Teleological Argument (Modern) I Find No Reason To Not Believe In Both (Within Reason).

I See Evolution Like Dominos, One Thing Topples Another... I Just Believe Someone Topples The First (Spark Of Life)

Kingothestone

Creamery Commander
In my opinion, Evolutionism and Creationism could TECHNICALLY be the same thing. think about it. nobody ever specified that 1 day in Creation terms aligns with 1 day in modern terms. for all we know, a day could have been the equivalent of a billion years :)

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
If you are referring to the Bible, hardly anything in it would suggest Evolution happened outside of different interpretation of time..

NINJA PENGUIN

If you are referring to the Bible, hardly anything in it would suggest Evolution happened outside of different interpretation of time..

To Be Fair, The Bible, Torah and Quran Only Ever State That Things Were "Created".

At No Point In ANY Of the Holy Books, Is There Any Explanation Of HOW It Was Created. Who's To Say It Wasn't Evolution.

Science And Religion. Like Chalk And Cheese. They Are Two Different Things. They Have Two Different Purposes, One Explains The Universe, The Other Explains Whats Behind The Universe.

Sabonea_Masukippa

1) Evolution and abiogenesis are separate things. Evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the emergence of life.

2) Pokemon evolution is more like metamorphosis than actual, scientific evolution as it is understood currently. It is, in some regards, responsible for a lot of misunderstanding among some people, even people who claim to 'believe' in evolution.

3) X2 for what R. New said.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
At No Point In ANY Of the Holy Books, Is There Any Explanation Of HOW It Was Created. Who's To Say It Wasn't Evolution.
The rib of Adam? A little garden? A worldwide flood? Evolution does not coincide with ANY of these.

Sklobington

Damn you, CHILLI!!!
I chose evolution because it is something that can be observed, where as I don't see many new species springing up about the place

If you are referring to the Bible, hardly anything in it would suggest evolution happened outside of different interpretation of time.
11And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
12And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. (Genesis 1:11-12)

Note that this is not creation ex nihilo. This is God being said to allow the grass to bring forth plant life outside of divine fiat.

20And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
21And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. (Genesis 1:20-21)

Note, again, that God permitted the waters to bring forth life (including fowl, who are said to have their origin in the waters) rather than creating them by command.

24And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
25And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. (Genesis 1:24-27)

Note that the earth is allowed to bring forth living creatures.

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (Genesis 2:7)

God created man from the dust of the ground, that is, something of the earth that previously existed.

You mention the interpretation of time as a concept of scripture, of particular interest when discussing the age of the earth. Genesis 49:26 and Deuteronomy 33:15 both describe the earth as "ancient," using a word which, in Hebrew, is more commonly identified with the age of God and the duration of His existence.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that artificial selection is mentioned in the Bible. Genesis 30:32-36 depicts Jacob ridding Laban's flock of goats with undesireable characteristics--how is this incompatible with evolutionary biology?

I will quote Origen, who has much wisdom to offer on the subject of the interpretation of scripture:
So that our meaning may be ascertained by the facts themselves, let us examine the passages of Scripture. Now who is there, pray, who is possessed of understanding, who will regard the statement as appropriate the first day, the second, and the third, in which both evening and morning are mentioned, happened without sun, moon, and stars? The first day was even without a sky!. . .
And who is so ignorant as to suppose that God, as if he were a farmer, planted trees in a garden, in Eden towards the east, with a tree of life in it—a visible, palpable tree of wood—so that anyone who ate of it with bodily teeth would obtain life, and, eating again of another tree, would come to the knowledge of good and evil? . . .
No one, I think, can doubt that the statement that God walked in the afternoon in paradise and that Adam lay hidden under a tree is related figuratively in Scripture so that some mystical meaning may be indicated by it. The departure of Cain from the presence of the Lord will obviously cause a careful reader to inquire what is the presence of God, and how anyone can go out from it . . . .
It is very easy for anyone who wishes to gather out of holy Scripture what is indeed recorded as having been done, but what nevertheless cannot be believed as having reasonably and appropriately occurred according to the historical account . . . .
The devil is said to have placed Jesus on a lofty mountain so that he might show him from there all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. How could it literally come to pass, either that Jesus would be led up by the devil into a high mountain, or that the latter would show him all the kingdoms of the world—as if they were lying beneath his bodily eyes and adjacent to one mountain?
Those who use the Bible to rail against evolution are ignorant of the purpose of the Bible. Those who say that the Bible is incompatible with evolution speak of that of which they know nothing.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I still think people are not grasping the term "theory" correctly. In the concept of evolution, a theory is a complex body of facts and ideas. I have a biology book that gives this definition. When an educated evolutionist says that evolution is indeed a theory, they really mean that evolution is fact supported by other facts.

Profesco

gone gently
Profesco used Hi Bump Kick!

Status
Not open for further replies.