• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolution Vs Creationism

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your stance on the matter and why?

I believe in 100% Evolution. Creationism is a strory that is fallible and that should be meant as a metaphor, instead of being taken literally.
Moreover, the fact of there being 2 Creation stories.

With so much evidence that the species on this planet are interconnected in some way it is asanine to simply disregard it as "a test against faith."

I believe bacteria(or some other form of life) were created from the "life elements" from asteroids, and then evolved into complex species and so forth.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
Darwinism led to Nazism and segregation.

Like I haven't heard this before.

Spoken like someone who clearly doesn't understand the concept. It's NATURAL selection. It has nothing at all to do with killing those who you deem "inferior".

Anyway, there is pretty much no debate here, as evolution has been witnessed in bacteria - specifically, the E. coli bacteria - and in fruit flies. Not to mention the fossil record and tons of other evidence pointing towards evolution.

I was aiming for specifically humans, sorry if I was unclear. ^^;

Dave.

Like I haven't heard this before.

Spoken like someone who clearly doesn't understand the concept. It's NATURAL selection. It has nothing at all to do with killing those who you deem "inferior".

Anyway, there is pretty much no debate here, as evolution has been witnessed in bacteria - specifically, the E. coli bacteria - and in fruit flies. Not to mention the fossil record and tons of other evidence pointing towards evolution.
And the Galapagos Islands, which have observable effects of evolution. Otherwise you took the words out of my mouth.

TomDraco

I'm a /tr/ainer.
I believe in evolution because of the already posted facts (fossil record, life undergoing it today, etc.) Creationism is too much a faith to be taken seriously. Plus, as some others and I have experienced in the Education thread debate, it's really easy to develop a opposite opinion against people who believe in Creationism, that constantly ignore the facts and start flame wars...

But let's not let that happen here! Ok?

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
Evolutionists start flame wars all the time if you challenge evolution dogma.

First off, this isn't a flame war.

Second, I'd really like to see some evidence for creationism that doesn't involve the Bible or some other holy book. We've all provided evidence for evolution, now it's your turn to back up your view.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
Care to elaborate on how I'm, apparently, a hypocrite?

Also, if you don't believe in creationism or evolution... what do you believe in?

I never said anything about creationism. I'm just saying that evolutionists tend to be hypocrites.

Care to not make your posts a one liner in an effort to +1 your post count?
Elaboration, would be really helpful.

Umbreon13x

Defense Trainer
well, i think evolution exists to an extent, but it is not what created our universe, first, before Darwin died, he claimed there can't ever be enough evidence to prove one way or another

the main thing i have to say is evolution is a THEORY, aka you can't base fact off of theory, its a common law of science, even though scientists ignore it quite often, and there should be a multitude of "missing links" but there isn't any, if you count Lucy, Lucy was scattered over a 1 mile radius, im not sure how they can count that as 1 person when they didn't DNA test it

Dragonmaster91

It's just common sen
well, i think evolution exists to an extent, but it is not what created our universe, first, before Darwin died, he claimed there can't ever be enough evidence to prove one way or another

the main thing i have to say is evolution is a THEORY, aka you can't base fact off of theory, its a common law of science, even though scientists ignore it quite often, and there should be a multitude of "missing links" but there isn't any, if you count Lucy, Lucy was scattered over a 1 mile radius, im not sure how they can count that as 1 person when they didn't DNA test it

Now you are going to get flamed for "Scientific Proof", and will get flamed (repeating that). Trust me, Evolution debates are not worth it, I've been in one, and once both sides of the debate have stated their position, it leads to flaming. It's not worth it.

Trust me...

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ

Darwin never actually recanted. That's a myth.

the main thing i have to say is evolution is a THEORY, aka you can't base fact off of theory, its a common law of science,

Fail. "Theory" does not mean "we took a guess that made sense". It's basically "we have tons of evidence to support this, so it should be taken as fact, but it could theoretically be disproven". Yes, evolution is a theory. So is gravity. Are you going to deny gravity because it's "just a theory"?

and there should be a multitude of "missing links" but there isn't any,

I'm pretty sure there are missing links. Also, how would a lack of missing links disprove evolution? If anything, I'd think it supports it.

if you count Lucy, Lucy was scattered over a 1 mile radius, im not sure how they can count that as 1 person when they didn't DNA test it

There could be plenty of geological reasons for that. A mile isn't particularly far.

Dragonmaster91 said:
Now you are going to get flamed for "Scientific Proof",

It's hardly flaming to expect someone to back up their claims.

Dragonmaster91 said:
Trust me, Evolution debates are not worth it, I've been in one, and once both sides of the debate have stated their position, it leads to flaming. It's not worth it.

Trust me...

Okay, one debate leading into a flame war does not mean every single debate on that same topic will turn into one.

Humor me here. What is your view on the subject?

And it's a theory that makes a lot more sense than a male being created magically, followed by a women from his rib......

Umbreon13x

Defense Trainer
First off, this isn't a flame war.

Second, I'd really like to see some evidence for creationism that doesn't involve the Bible or some other holy book. We've all provided evidence for evolution, now it's your turn to back up your view.

what evidence? yes you might have proven that bacteria changed but how does that prove that humans came from single cell organisms? it doesn't even really prove its possible, and even if it did, that doesn't prove it happened that way, you presented inadequate circumstantial evidence that may or may not apply and expect us to count it as proving anything?

as for evidence proving creation, the best way is to ask, even if evolution exists, where did the first thing come from? there isn't any proof that life can come from nothing or any chemical reaction we know of, and the most basic rule of matter is that it cannot be created nor destroyed, so some thing must transcend regular physics rules, aka some thing "godlike", now what you think that "godlike" thing is, is up to you

EDIT: not a double post, J.T. deleted his post...

Darwin never actually recanted. That's a myth.

Fail. "Theory" does not mean "we took a guess that made sense". It's basically "we have tons of evidence to support this, so it should be taken as fact, but it could theoretically be disproven". Yes, evolution is a theory. So is gravity. Are you going to deny gravity because it's "just a theory"?

I'm pretty sure there are missing links. Also, how would a lack of missing links disprove evolution? If anything, I'd think it supports it.

There could be plenty of geological reasons for that. A mile isn't particularly far.

It's hardly flaming to expect someone to back up their claims.

from your own words, back up your claims

no, gravity is a theory because there is undeniable evidence that something exists that preforms in that way, but we can't prove what it is, evolution, however, hasn't had any undeniable evidence

well, first, again prove your points, second we can all agree that evolution slowly happens right? then there should be plenty of little changes between ape and man, but there isn't

couldn't find the exact distance but i found this, google is pretty easy to use btw

In reinforcement of the fact that Lucy is not a creature ‘in between’ ape and man, Dr Charles Oxnard, Professor of Anatomy and Human Biology at the University of Western Australia, said in 1987 of the australopithecines (the group to which Lucy is said to have belonged):

‘The various australopithecines are, indeed, more different from both African apes and humans in most features than these latter are from each other. Part of the basis of this acceptance has been the fact that even opposing investigators have found these large differences as they too, used techniques and research designs that were less biased by prior notions as to what the fossils might have been’.2

Oxnard’s firm conclusion? ‘The australopithecines are unique.’3

meaning that they are a different species all together, and who is to say it wasn't a physically mutated ape or human? which is why one "link" doesn't prove anything

2 Dr Charles E. Oxnard, Fossils, Teeth and Sex—New perspective on Human Evolution, University of Washington Press, Seattle and London, 1987, p. 227.

3. ibid.

also

Although only 40 percent of the skeleton was recovered, bones from both sides of the body were present, allowing paleoanthropologists to reconstruct approximately 70 percent of her skeleton by using mirror imaging.

so the other 30% was a guess? 30% is plenty to change a human into 30% ape

Last edited by a moderator:

Pandeji

USED ULTRASPLASH!!!
no, gravity is a theory because there is undeniable evidence that something exists that preforms in that way, but we can't prove what it is, evolution, however, hasn't had any undeniable evidence
Assuming this were even correct, it would only SUPPORT evolution.
Science is composed of theories because scientists understand that there is wiggle room. We may discover something else that would ordinarily prove a scientific-statement-taken-as-fact wrong. But theories can change with the times.
second we can all agree that evolution slowly happens right? then there should be plenty of little changes between ape and man, but there isn't
Because we're already there, as one possible answer.
You don't see the tiny changes because the branch of primates that evolved into humans DID evolve into humans. Obviously not all organisms (or even specific individual creatures) evolve in the same way. Maybe monkeys aren't evolving on the same path as us. Maybe they are evolving in a different way.
Or maybe because humans are so intent on keeping every freakin thing alive, natural selection has nearly died out. Natural selection --> Evolution.
from your own words, back up your claims
If you weren't ignoring his every attempt to get you to back up your claims of creationism, this point might be valid.

??????

That guy.
I believe that everything was created and life evolved.

BIG SHOCKER, the 2 are not mutually exclusive, as the right wing fundies want you to think.

I bet you guys find that ironic, don't ya?

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
what evidence? yes you might have proven that bacteria changed but how does that prove that humans came from single cell organisms? it doesn't even really prove its possible, and even if it did, that doesn't prove it happened that way, you presented inadequate circumstantial evidence that may or may not apply and expect us to count it as proving anything?

Bacteria, the smallest known type of lifeform, has changed throughout history. Evolution actually has evidence in which the relationships between two different organisms are shown, like humans and apes.

The first living organisms on the planet, the Prokaryotes, are typically unicellular, but throughout their life some have multicellular stages in their life. These are the first multicellular roganisms, and they belong to a group that is typically unicellular.

To wrap this up, I believe 100% in evolution. Historical evidence, even early human fossils, clearly and blatantly show us that humans have evolved, adn that we are evolving, and that everything around us is evolving. To not believe in evolution is, in my opinion, to not believe in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.