• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolving Strategy (600)

Torpoleon

no fire pokemon can't get burned. No only special attacks are affected on light screen. It can't to anything to dig. If it was reflect then we would have a problem.
So, rather than switching out Pikachu for Buizel, Ash could have just used Chimchar. Dig is super effective and Chimchar wouldn't have gotten effected by Flame Body. I still liked what I saw of the battle.

mimefan

Banned
First off I'm going to say the good of the show was Chimchar evolving into Monferno. What confused is though, how the hell did Electabuzz manage to take out Monferno? I know the attack was Thunderpunch but come on even I know electric attacks aren't that effective against fire-types. I think the writers are trying to make Ash look like he isn't a good trainer. (Personal opinion flame if you want). Also, what was up with that pathtic fight scene between Gliscor and Torterra? I know Frenzy Plant is a powerful move and I know Gliscor is Ground/Flying but couldn't they have made Gliscor do a little more? But even though this battle was pretty good, lame that the writers made Ash lose again, I have a feeling Monferno is going to evolve again. I also do hope they make Ash actually train his team this time and maybe this won't happen again.

You do know that Gliscor lost 'cause of the damage he received in part 1, right?

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
Paul is actively using abilities and status ailments, like nobody has done before. When Ursaring used Bulk Up, Ash said:˝...Nah, who cares!˝. That describes his skill level and observing the battle situation perfectly. Also, when Chimchar evolved, Ash got his spirit way up, thinking he can win. No common sense at all. I'm glad he lost, but why the heck did TR root for the twerp??

Last edited:

STICKTOPIA

STICKTOPIA

STICKTOPIA

Well, I know they don't like him, but I reckoned they would be in state of malicious joy if Ash got severely beat, even if not by their deed.
well there was that 1 time meowth was happy that tyson's meowth beat pikachu.

halloweenghost

Paul is actively using abilities and status ailments, like nobody has done before. When Ursaring used Bulk Up, Ash said:˝...Nah, who cares!˝. That describes his skill level and observing the battle situation perfectly. Also, when Chimchar evolved, Ash got his spirit way up, thinking he can win. No common sense at all. I'm glad he lost, but why the heck did TR root for the twerp??

they've touched on this before.. and said that being beaten so many times by the twerp, and then somone else beating ash makes them look even more pathetic..so they feel that they need pikachu and ash's other pokemon to be strong so they do not feel completly useless, as well asthem spending so much time to steal a pokemon that they feel are incredibly strong only to have that pokemon get it's buitt handed to them,.. how are they to feel,.. they do nto want to feel they are wasting their time. Not to mention..they deep down are good at heart and sometimes even they know when not to mess with ash..

Blaziryu

This episode was hot! Shinji was really 2 steps ahead of Ash during their battle. Ash really needs to plan ahead the next time he faces Shinji.

soccerstar19

<--- Best Rival Ever
after seeing the dubbed version of this and the whole battle on just chimchar evolving part on I can say Ash officially got beaten badly. Part of me wants them to tie then battle again just with the reserves or a mix of the shinnoh pokes and their reserves. I also think Paul respects Ash now just because of his last comment agreeing with reggie that it was a great battle.

hustenapfel

That was one of the best episodes ever and I really hope that Ash has learnt his lesson from this match, so that Sinnoh may not end as such a pain in the butt, after all...

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Ok, people keep talking about thinking that the writers are making Gliscor look weak after getting knocked out by Torterra's Frenzy Plant. But does nobody remember the damage Gliscor dished out to Torterra in the first part, or the tremendous damage that Gliscor ended up taking from Torterra's Giga Drain and Crunch in the first part?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm surprised that the writers had the guts to make Ash lose.

I was beginning to think that he'd never lose.

charizardtrainer16

lets play with fire
that was a great battle and Paul's awesome!!!! o yea and monferno looks goofy in the anime

Vernikova

Champion
The battle wasn't as exciting as many people have tried to make it sound. It wasn't anything special about the battle besides the fact that Chimchar evolved. While on the subject of Chimchar's evolution, I'm happy that the writers didn't decide to let Ash make a comeback because Chimchar evolved since evolution usually turns the tide of battle.

wind21

So Monferno didn't use Blaze...I'm sure other people already knew that, but it was news to me.

Last episode made it obvious that Ash was going to lose. Even Ash realized he was in way over his head; his lack of enthusiasm after Staraptor defeated Weavile showed he sensed Paul was out to humiliate him. And this was utter humiliation. Ash never had a chance. But I appreciate how far he's come as a trainer. He still tried to be optimistic in the battle until Monferno finally fainted. And he said nothing stupid or arrogant to Paul after he lost. This loss stung, but he kept it mostly to himself. I would be really interested to know what Ash was thinking at the moment. It's funny. Sinnoh has shown us a few times Dawn's innermost thoughts, but with Ash we really haven't seen them. All we see is his hat come over his eyes. It gives me a sense of his maturity as a trainer as opposed to Dawn's inexperience, and I think it's an interesting contrast.
I'm sure alot of gamers felt Ash got what he deserved when he said who cares that Paul used Bulk Up.

Last edited:

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
One of the most intense and breath-taking battles ever, though, with a disappointing and extremly painful outcome for Ash.

Two things proved decisive for Paul's win:

Firstly, his Pokemon are simply way too strong. Ash, you've gotta admit that recently you have obviously been too careless when it comes to training. How long has it been since we last saw you actually train your Pokemon properly? Way too long...
Ash, sorry, but it seems that you haven't done your homework.

Secondly, Ash didn't battle particularly cleverly. It may sound hard, but most of what he did was old hat and too predictable. I mean let's analyze it in detail:
Take the battles Ursaring vs. Buizel, Ursaring vs. Staraptor or Torterra vs. Gliscor: Ash's strategy, if he actually had one, consisted of ordering rash, direct attacks with could easily be blocked by Paul's Pokemon.
Consider this: What are Ursaring's strong points? Brute close range attacks (I'm not counting Focus Blast ,because this attack is a relatively small "ball" which could normally be dodged with ease)
So, Ash why IN THE WORLD do you think that you can defeat Pual with attacks which one the one hand can easily be repelled by Ursaring and which on the other hand require your own Pokemon to come dangerously near to Paul's Pokemon which also means that the former are within the range of the physical attacks of the latter.
So, in case a Pokemon does not know attacks which can be launched from a safe distance as it goes for Staraptor or Gliscor, you first have to confuse or trick your opponent or dodge his counter-attack before you attack him directly.

So, instead of just attacking blindly and overhastily from the front, develop a strategy in your mind, Ash, for God's sake.

Ok, but to do Ash justice a little bit, we also musn't forget that Paul was extremly lucky as well. Not only were two of Ash's Pokemon affected by Burn and Paralysis by chance, but also did Ursaring benefit from its ability which was a huge advantage that mustn't be underestimated. Otherwise, I'm sure that the battle wouldn't have resulted in a 6-2 but probably in a 6-4 or even better.

And finally the great and breath-taking Elecatbuzz vs. Chimchar/Monferno part. wow , just wow! It really knocked my socks off and it was one of the most intense and exciting battles I've ever seen. However, it was extremly unfair that after landing such powerful and impressive attacks, Monferno wasn't allowed to win...Shame on you, writers!
Anyways, I guess I have found a new favorite Pokemon in Ash's team...at least until he hopefully gets his new *****

Despite the deeply distressing outcome for Ash, the episode was rousing and exciting and I took the greatest pleasure in watching it! Keep it up, writers! That's how battles should look like in the future

8 out of 10 points

Torpoleon

Alright, I saw what I missed and the whole episode recorded this time. The whole battle was awesome! At the end, I don't think Paul's smile was where he thought he was better. When Reggie said he didn't see that look on Paul's face, Paul quickly said he'd give Reggie his Pokémon. Maybe Paul is starting to change his ways?

10/10
The episode was just simply amazing. Chimchar evolving was awesome and Iwane being the animation director for this episode made it even better!