• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolving Strategy (600)

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I think we all won in this XD, independent of the result atleast for me this was one of the best if not the best battle in Pokemon anime history(animation was great) i was hoping that Monferno was going to win against Electabuzz atleast but still it was a good battle and omg URSARING IS THE SHIET i loved the beatdown he gave on Ash Pokemons and i loved how Buizel gave him a good beating also, I just wanted to see alittle more from Magmortar but aside that i loved the episode this episode was Epic and it wasnt cheap at all in my opinion.

And like the manga adpation said Ash lost badly theres no such thing as almost loosing badly lol , either you loose badly or you dont there no almost in there kakaka .

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
I think we all won in this XD, independent of the result atleast for me this was one of the best if not the best battle in Pokemon anime history(animation was great) i was hoping that Monferno was going to win against Electabuzz atleast but still it was a good battle and omg URSARING IS THE SHIET i loved the beatdown he gave on Ash Pokemons and i loved how Buizel gave him a good beating also, I just wanted to see alittle more from Magmortar but aside that i loved the episode this episode was Epic and it wasnt cheap at all in my opinion.

And like the manga adpation said Ash lost badly theres no such thing as almost loosing badly lol , either you loose badly or you dont there no almost in there kakaka .

I'm sorry that it has to end like this. But I hope that Ash doesn't become mean to pokemon (sinking to Paul's level). After that battle he fought. I'm started to worry what would happen to him.

Last edited:

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Bit sad that Ash lost but from what I've heard, it was a great battle. Can't wait to watch it tonight, and we finally have Monferno! :D

One thing that bugs me though,

Ash could beat Brandon. Paul couldn't beat Brandon. Therefore, wouldn't it seem that Ash should be able to beat Paul or at least lose by a far smaller margin? It just seems unrealistic to me. Can't the writers remember things like that?

Last edited:

soccerstar19

<--- Best Rival Ever
what does Paul say after the battle and did chimchar/ monferno just beat ursaing was the battle with electabuzz at least drawn out. I see brick break as a water pulse type of move that ash uses out of no where and then explains he was training inferape. Pikachu is going to learn a new move. Grotle is going to evolve and so is buizel. If he got smashed that badly and did gliscor's power decrease again

victreebel007

Monferno's debut was good despite losing, I think the episode was cheap seeing as how Ash's pokemon are a LOT stronger than they were depicted in the episode but still a good battle despite the one sided-ness of it.

Cobalt_Latios

One thing that bugs me though,

Ash could beat Brandon. Paul couldn't beat Brandon. Therefore, wouldn't it seem that Ash should be able to beat Paul or at least lose by a far smaller margin? It just seems unrealistic to me. Can't the writers remember things like that?
Like dman_dustin was saying, the writers were pretty damn inconsistent with this 2 parter. Leave it up to the writers to take something that would otherwise be something awesome and flat out ruin it... to the extent Ash lost anyways. I mean, were the writers deciding to cater to Paul this time instead of Ash?

Oh well, by the sound of things, this sucker was animated nicely.

Oh... and we get Monferno.

(now we wait until the Spear Pillar arc... if we even get one)

*C_L*

dman_dustin

I used to think that, or thought like that. But you have to take in consideration of various factors. In a perfect would with limiting factors, in theory Ash should've won.

And I agree it was quite unrealistic simply because of the abilities and statuses, and somehow Paul got a stronger Ursaring, because I have no idea where this strength suddenly came from. Given the fact Chimchar has beaten 3 times now (which is hilarious by the way). Ursaring should've went down long before Chimchar, and Electabuzz, seriously it's like Paul's Pokemon went from level craptastic to level impossible, in such a short time too.

I just wish Monferno could've come into existence in a fairer method, was it so horrible for the match to end in a tie, I would've much preferred that then what we got. Considering Electabuzz got its butt kicked, but no it has impossible stamina just like Ursaring.

bui

I agree with your points dman dustion. I disliked how Gliscor defense decrease in this episode. It can take a few hits from Byron's Bastiodon and yet cannot take one frenzy plant ( Which he resist) from Torterra. The writers almost made Ash an idiot again by not using a fire move when Monferno's blaze kick in.

neo_senku

I agree with your points dman dustion. I disliked how Gliscor defense decrease in this episode. It can take a few hits from Byron's Bastiodon and yet cannot take one frenzy plant ( Which he resist) from Torterra. The writers almost made Ash an idiot again by not using a fire move when Monferno's blaze kick in.

Actually grass would do normal damage to Gliscor as its ground type would make it x2 but its flying type would halve that to x1.

This was just embarrassing the way ash lost. 6-2 really? Did the writers think because of the way Paul lost to Brandon they needed to make up for it? Ursaring and its ridiculous stamina was urking to say the least. I could have seen a result like this being plausible about sometime before the 4th gym but its one badge to go before the league, even if it was gonna have Paul as the victor 6-4 would have been a little more believable.

Last edited:

gpt11

do you actually think ash could beat brandon with his sinnoh team? its actually laughable to even think that! the only reason ash got so far before on his THIRD TIME! was because he used pokemon he'd had for years!

I personally thought this was a great episode.

chimchar evolved and showed it really is a powerful lil pokemon - also loved electabuzz's face when it saw monferno!

staraptor was quite cool aswel as was buizel even though it lost! - should have recalled it ash!

but one thing i did think if both sides hadnt been able to switch pokemon i think the battle would have ended more evenly mabe even giving ash the win!

Straitos

This episode upsets me. I hate to see Ash lose to a jerk like Paul.

I hope there is enough time for Ash to catch Paul's team in terms of power before the league.

What did Paul say to make Ash grit his teeth like that at the end? Also, what did Ash say to Monferno after it fainted/woke up? It seemed to make it smile at least.

Bisasam

Bulbasaur

You forgot some points.
1. Paul didn't use his full team of experienced Pokémon, he also used his (probably) underused Lairon, Nidoking and Hariyama (which we probably won't see again) which don't seem as strong as the others.
2. Brandon used all of his regis, which wasn't the case with Ash. Ash beat his team of 3 "normal" Pokémon and Regice and not all 3 regis.
3. Ash used his Kanto team, which is probably stronger than his Sinnoh team now, with which he lost to Paul.
4. Brandon may have trained his regis between Ash's victory and Paul's loss against him.

I think the battle was really great, cool animations, a new evolution and not the usual structure of only changing the Pokémon if they faint. I really liked that both of them withdrew their Pokémon even if they didn't faint. That made the battle more exciting.
Ash losing 6-2 is quite a big loss, but he won nearly every gym battle in Sinnoh with his first try, so it's time that he loses a battle.

uber gon

Accept Change
Meh there's always the main league. Hopefully the writers will have Ash evolve more of his pokémon and have them learn some more moves.

victreebel007

Seems to me like Team Rocket hate Paul but also to see Ash lose so badly, it made me happy to see that.
Ursaring has changed massively from DP081, from a weakling that couldn't take on Chimchar to a beast that almost sweeps Ash.

Fofa

Thunder Trainer
Tell me about it. This is like unaccpetable. It could have two trainers each have at least one pokemon remaining.

)(*^&*%^^%$(^& (Was I saying something there?)

Oh yeah, I'm frustrated enough to want to strangle a few people, preferrably the production staff. Once I get a new sketchbook, I'll draw my revenge.

thunderblade12

It doesn't matter. Gliscor nearly defeated Torterra in DP131, it was obviously tired. Torterra just managed to land a hit first.
I think that may be why Paul recalled it when Ash sent out Pikachu.

Paul's team is obviously a powerhouse.

Weavile stood up to a 4X damage hit and could still battle. It took quite a few hits from what is probably Ash's strongest pokemon right now, Staraptor, to take it down.

Honchkrow proved it's stamina in all three of it's battles against Ash and it's battle against Maylene. It didn't even seem tired at the end of the Pokeringer contest despite taking a ton of powerful hits.

Ursaring KOed three of Ash's pokemon and survived many attacks from Brandon's pokemon.

Gliscor took down Gligar without even taking a hit

Torterra bought Garchomp to it's knees and showed off in the Tag Team Tournement. Even after taking many super effective hits from Gliscor it was still able to keep going.

Electabuzz took a lot of hits from Monferno and still won after Monferno used blaze. It also took a few hits from the Regis

Magmortar easily took down Maylene's Lucario and stood up to Pikachu and Buizel without becoming tired. It also took a ton of hits from Brandon's pokemon

To me it looks like Ash's main mistake was not changing his pokemon enough. Paul swapped his pokemon constantly, there where many insytances where Ash should have immediately swapped pokemon rather than allowing them to battle and become weakened before swapping.

bui

Monferno's blaze was irrevelant because it didn't use a fire move after it activated.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
So how did this battle go exactly? Match-up-wise, I know we had:
Pikachu vs Magmortar
Pikachu vs. Ursaring
Staraptor vs. Ursaring
Chimchar vs. Ursaring
Monferno vs. Electabuzz
Buizel vs. Magmortar
Buizel vs. Ursaring
Gliscor vs. Torterra

There may have been more that I missed, but I still don't know exact order of the happenings.